Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jordan vs. Jones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RollTide99

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my doubts about his health but its JJ for me he seems like a clone of Von Miller to me though he needs to put some weight on....if were horrible next year imagine having Jarvis and Clowney coming off the edges Cool

JMG on the sig
MoLewis57

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RollTide99 wrote:
I still have my doubts about his health but its JJ for me he seems like a clone of Von Miller to me though he needs to put some weight on....if were horrible next year imagine having Jarvis and Clowney coming off the edges Cool

Not hoping for us to suck but that would be effin awesome.
RollTide99

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoLewis57 wrote:
RollTide99 wrote:

Not hoping for us to suck but that would be effin awesome.

Same I think well be competitive but the thought of having both of them is orgasmic

JMG on the sig
JETSsuperbowl43

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvis Jones' talent is can't miss, he's in the caliber of Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware. It's just about keeping him healthy. If he falls to nine, I think they have to take a shot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wasn't for the spinal condition, I would choose Jones based on how he dominated the SEC. But that scares me. I think Dion Jordan can be great in this defense, his sack numbers are down because he dropped into coverage a lot, hes a versatile athletic freak. He has high upside. Great ability to play into space, and the length and burst to be a awesome pass rusher.

If Jones is clear medically, he won't fall to us anyways. I am good with taking Jordan at 9.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
MoLewis57

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Revis24 wrote:
If it wasn't for the spinal condition, I would choose Jones based on how he dominated the SEC. But that scares me. I think Dion Jordan can be great in this defense, his sack numbers are down because he dropped into coverage a lot, hes a versatile athletic freak. He has high upside. Great ability to play into space, and the length and burst to be a awesome pass rusher.

If Jones is clear medically, he won't fall to us anyways. I am good with taking Jordan at 9.

Thats prob true. I like Jordan anyway
moham-17

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moham-17 wrote:
Have you guys watched the tape on Jones?

I'm by no means an expert talent evaluator, or as knowledgeable as some of you guys when it comes to sorting through the hype and production of certain players to determine where they should go.

That said, I've watched his highlights, and the youtube videos against alabam and florida; and from what I saw I'm not impressed. Maybe I just haven't watched the right ones...

He shows off a decent spin move every now-and-then in run coverage, but 8/10 times he just runs as fast as he can around the edge; just like Maybin.

He also has a hard time shedding blocks. I'm certainly not questioning his motor, but I just wasn't impressed.

I'd much rather trade down, pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder, and grab Okafor or Ogletree (who looks really good in coverage and packs a wallop on his hits).

If I'm wrong, just show me what I'm missing ; but I haven't been impressed enough to want us to use a top ten draft pick on him.

And definitely not Dion Jordan...

Still waiting for someone to disabuse me of these notions, and show me the light.

Cause all I see is two guys who run as fast as they can around the tackle, and maybe sometimes run an "end-around" or "mis-directional" blitz up the middle.

I'm not questioning their motors, I like that; and I do like the idea of adding speed to this defense (something both Jordan and Jones have), but I don't see any diversity of pass rush moves. I know those sort of things can be taught, but I'd like to see some instinct and creativity from these two.
teamorange

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvis Jones is the most talented player coming out this year. As long as he is healthy he is a franchise player.

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

J!E!T!S! 4life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im taking Jones over anyone personally. The kid is a beast and the only pass rusher ive seen with any type of moves in this draft. His hand fighting is great and he has the speed to cover. He is gonna need to put on some weight to handle bigger NFL lineman but i think this kid is gonna be a force for a long time.

Dion Jordan doesnt really impress me at all. He does have good speed for his size but i have yet to see him truly embarrass a tackle. Most of his sacks are due to lazy tackle play or the qb holding the ball too long. I truly hope we dont draft this guy.

JakeDaSnake83 on the sig
MP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moham-17 wrote:

Cause all I see is two guys who run as fast as they can around the tackle, and maybe sometimes run an "end-around" or "mis-directional" blitz up the middle.

I'm not questioning their motors, I like that; and I do like the idea of adding speed to this defense (something both Jordan and Jones have), but I don't see any diversity of pass rush moves. I know those sort of things can be taught, but I'd like to see some instinct and creativity from these two.

Excellent burst, excellent closing speed, good hands, has a nice spin move and a non stop motor. He has fluid hips and can change directions easily, he is a fluid athlete. Everybody raves about his football IQ, so I doubt that's a problem. The only real knock you might have on him is his arms, what will they measure at?

I mean if your getting all this from the OLB, isn't that great already?

Go back and read the Von Miller scouting reports, read the Demarcus Ware scouting reports, they all read the same for the most part.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like Jarvis Jones more, but Dion Jordan also has tons of potential. I do feel Jarvis Jones is a far better developed player than Jordan at this point.

If our staff clears him medically, and by some miracle he slips to us Jarvis Jones has some real potential to be an impact player day one in our defense. 6'3 241 he's got the size mostly might need to add a little weight, but he has definitely shown he knows how to play. And has more physical talent then anyone else at the position on our team in recent years.

Dion Jordan though does have the potential to develop into a great pass rusher, and already has the versatility to cover as well. I believe that he didnt register a sack in the last 5 games of his final season due to injury though.

If Jarvis Jones clears medical and is availble when we draft we have to pull the trigger (unless someone like Geno is also there) Wouldnt mind Dion Jordan either. I trust Rex completely when it comes to picking someone for his defense.
Raoul Duke

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched alot more of Jones than I've seen of Jordan so I would lean towards Jones because I'm more comfortable with his game.

Having said that, I think it's apparent that Jones is a much more complete player right now while I think Jordan has more potential.

But honestly, if I'm going with potential, I'd take Mingo over Jordan.

Jones doesn't have the first step of either of them but he's definitely more fundamentally sound. I also like the fact that he's played OLB in a 3-4 defense, though Grantham's scheme isn't really close to Rex's.

And while it may be wrong to think this way, I can't help but drool over the first step that Mingo possesses.

No matter what though, there's going to be a potential impact pass rusher at 9 and the Jets have to draft one.

- Cliff Burton
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's been a problem for us? Pass rush from OLB or coverage from OLB?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both have been a problem. Overall they have to upgrade the speed in the LB corps.

If Davis starts and they get one of these guys to start at OLB, that will go a long way to solving their problems.

I just don't think Jarvis Jones will be there when they draft.

- Cliff Burton
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raoul Duke wrote:
Both have been a problem. Overall they have to upgrade the speed in the LB corps.

If Davis starts and they get one of these guys to start at OLB, that will go a long way to solving their problems.

I just don't think Jarvis Jones will be there when they draft.

I'm not undermining the importance, but everyone on here overrated "pass coverage OLB." Our problem is getting to the QB. Getting to the QB solves EVERYTHING. Just like backup NT and run blocking TE and all our other funny "important" positions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: