Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

J.R.S. Mock, built for debate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: J.R.S. Mock, built for debate Reply with quote

I wanted to do a mock that could start up some specific player to player debate, and so I made this one. I thin Fisher and Snead are focusing on adding weapons this draft, but will generally adhere to BPA. Both our key departures, and the picks themselves will reflect the fact that we are still in rebuilding mode, and are far from having a well rounded roster. So here we go, disagree in the comments.

Key Free Agent Signings:

George Wilson, S
Will Svitek,T (nods at lunatic)

Key Departures:

Steven Jackson
Danny Amendola
Quinten Mikell
Craig Dahl

Round 1, Pick 16-

Rams selection:Tavon Austin, WR/RB/KR

Left on board:T. Williams, L. Johnson, C. Patterson,K. Vaccaro

Not available:K. Allen, C. Warmack

Explanation: As the next few picks will illustrate, Fisher and Snead are focusing on acquiring weapons early, depth in the trenches late. Austin provides electric return skills and is a game changer in the intermediate passing game and the running game.

Round 1, Pick 22-

Rams Selection:Tyler Eiffert, TE

Left on board:Z. Ertz, S. Richardson, K. Vaccaro, J. Cooper

Not available:T. Williams, C. Patterson, L. Johnson

Explanation:For those concerned with getting pass catchers with size, here you go. Eiffert provides a matchup problem in the red zone and between the hashes. Because Kendricks can handle the bulk of traditional TE duties, Eiffert is free to concentrate on his pass catching and is able to contribute in his rookie season.

Round 2, Pick 46

Rams Selection:Larry Warford,G

Left on Board:E. Lacy, E. Ansah, B. Rambo

Not Available:M. Elam, G. Bernard, J. Cooper, J. Hunter

Explanation: I think that Warford is a better prospect than Cooper, and despite his reputation for being out of shape, he is actually highly athletic. I don't view the guard position as one of our bigger needs, but Warford represents better value at pick 46 than Warmack does at pick 16, IMO.

Round 3, Pick 78

Rams Selection: Philip Thomas, S

Left on Board: J. Cyprien, D.J. Swearinger

Not Available:T. Jefferson, Barrett Jones, C. Faulk

Explanation: Jones and Faulk were just missed out on, but Thomas was our favorite of all the safeties still available. Much like I did with Trumaine Johnson last year, I have keyed in on Thomas as someone I believe will represent great value for Fisher and Snead if he slips this far. He's physical, has great ball skills, and has shown very good intuition. Together with Wilson, we have a versatile set of skilled safeties.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
ctp2124

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone you highlighted that was left on the board with our 2 first I would rather have then who you selected. Honestly, I'd take Sheldon at 16 over anyone. I do like the Warford selection and I have yet to come to a consensus on how I feel about those 3 safeties.

Props to mike23md

Supporter of Mohammed Sanu and Lavonte David to the Rams
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctp2124 wrote:
Everyone you highlighted that was left on the board with our 2 first I would rather have then who you selected. Honestly, I'd take Sheldon at 16 over anyone. I do like the Warford selection and I have yet to come to a consensus on how I feel about those 3 safeties.

Even Vaccaro?

It's pretty tough to say that you'd rather have Cooper at pick #22, and that you simultaneously like the Warford selection at #46. Which do you think provides better value?

tim199009

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well jrs i want to start off by saying the first pick is absolutely spot on. The third pick is essential (warford in the second, love it) and the fourth pick is great because we potentially get the biggest ball hawk in the draft.

But when i look at the second pick i just dont like it. A tight end in the first? thinking about this brings a little vomit to my mouth(no offense). I would rather double dip at wr then go TE in the first.

Every one feel free to send your Bitcoins here:
16o9K2FJ7qYtGR2mypgFnQ2ee5H3p4vnR7

Rams Rams Rams

Kanye West= the GOAT
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not gonna complain at all if we take Austin, although I think we could trade back a few spots and still land him...

If we're taking a TE in the 1st round, his name better be Zach Ertz. His game is head and shoulders above Eiffert IMO...

Also, not a fan of passing on Sheldon Richarson twice. He's a special pass-rushing talent from the inside. Something that most teams don't have...

I'd rather see this:

1. Richardson
2. Ertz/Austin

IDOG_det on the sig...
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim199009 wrote:
well jrs i want to start off by saying the first pick is absolutely spot on. The third pick is essential (warford in the second, love it) and the fourth pick is great because we potentially get the biggest ball hawk in the draft.

But when i look at the second pick i just dont like it. A tight end in the first? thinking about this brings a little vomit to my mouth(no offense). I would rather double dip at wr then go TE in the first.

I strongly considered doing just that.

The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
Not gonna complain at all if we take Austin, although I think we could trade back a few spots and still land him...

If we're taking a TE in the 1st round, his name better be Zach Ertz. His game is head and shoulders above Eiffert IMO...

Also, not a fan of passing on Sheldon Richarson twice. He's a special pass-rushing talent from the inside. Something that most teams don't have...

I'd rather see this:

1. Richardson
2. Ertz/Austin

I agree that Austin can be had later (likely at #22).

I like Ertz's blocking more than Eiffert's, and both have some similar strengths. Ertz runs better with the ball, but Eiffert has an immense catch radius and very strong hands.

I guess I'm not as big of a fan as most are of Richardson, but he was considered at #22.

tim199009

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
tim199009 wrote:

I dont see why not

Rams Rams Rams

Kanye West= the GOAT
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim199009 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:
tim199009 wrote:

I dont see why not

I was targeting guys who present obvious matchup problems. This scenario would give us 2 guys that require special attention on offense. When is the last time we had even one guy like that on our team? Givens can cause mismatches deep, Tavon Austin causes mismatches underneath, and Tyler Eiffort creates mismatches due to his height. With those three we can attack the entire field for once.

tim199009

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
tim199009 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:
tim199009 wrote:

I dont see why not

I was targeting guys who present obvious matchup problems. This scenario would give us 2 guys that require special attention on offense. When is the last time we had even one guy like that on our team? Givens can cause mismatches deep, Tavon Austin causes mismatches underneath, and Tyler Eiffort creates mismatches due to his height. With those three we can attack the entire field for once.

Yes eiffort is a guy that can do that for us, but so can Jordan Reed out of florida, and also Gavin Escobar out of SD state. Point is we can get that TE matchup later in the draft. But it is going to be hard to find a guy like keenan allen who possess all the tools we need outside of the first round.

Rams Rams Rams

Kanye West= the GOAT
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim199009 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:
tim199009 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:
tim199009 wrote:

I dont see why not

Yes eiffort is a guy that can do that for us, but so can Jordan Reed out of florida, and also Gavin Escobar out of SD state. Point is we can get that TE matchup later in the draft. But it is going to be hard to find a guy like keenan allen who possess all the tools we need outside of the first round.

I'm not a huge Keenan Allen fan.

ctp2124

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
ctp2124 wrote:

Even Vaccaro?

It's pretty tough to say that you'd rather have Cooper at pick #22, and that you simultaneously like the Warford selection at #46. Which do you think provides better value?

I am one in the minority that likes Vaccaro. I think Warford is better value. That being said, clearly you would not know picking at #22 that Warford would be available at #46. If I had that knowledge then I would say wait to grab Warford.

Props to mike23md

Supporter of Mohammed Sanu and Lavonte David to the Rams
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting mock/topic, however, I would not be excited if this actually occured come draft day.

I think your are overvaluing Austin here. I love him. Dont get me wrong. He was in my first mock I posted this year. I just can't see taking him at #16 in any format, let alone ahead of immediate upgrades the likes of L.Johnson, S.Richardson. Now, you have stated that Allen is off the board, so, I simply would not go WR here. IMO, Allen is the only WR this year that warrants a pick in this slot.

Also, cannot get behind taking a TE in the first round this year. Seems like so many prospects via FA that can come in and provide us with a weapon at TE. Even without addressing TE via free agency, I don't like Eiffert here. IF I were to ever get behind a TE in the 1st round this year (and I wouldn't), then it would be Ertz. Personally, I like Escobar at nearly the same level as Eiffert, at far less a cost. And with Richardson still on the board, it'd give me great displeasure to take TE.

Cannot argue with Warfords value in 2nd round, but Ansah still on board still? Man, I would definitely pick him here.

Yep, you guessed it, I'm not going to be happy with the 3rd rounder. I'm a Swearinger guy, head and shoulders above Thomas in my eyes. Honestly liking Cyprien nearly equally at this point as well.

I did really like the layout of the mock. Its shows you put a lot of effort into this and likely did a 3rd mock to complete it. While I tended to not agree with the mock itself, I appreciated your angles and explanations.
Lamarcus Joyner
Tre Mason
jjab360

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take pretty much every guy you have left on the board over the ones that you actually selected at those picks. Not trying to be a jerk, I just really don't like any of the selections, what can I say lol. The one pick that really sticks out to me, though, is Tavon Austin over Lane Johnson. I just don't understand that one at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you flip Austin to #22 and Lane Johnson at #16...I'd be for the draft. I don't like Tyler Eifert in the 1st.

Although I think we'd be making a MAJOR mistake if we took Phillip Thomas over Swearinger.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: