Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Free-Agency Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 72, 73, 74  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Ballard is healthy than i feel pretty good with Gronk/Hernandez/Ballard/Hoomanawanui going into the season, no need to spend money on the position this season like we did last year. [We signed about 5 TEs last season, what a waste]
Tom Brady Tribute
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Kenny Britt but i definitely feel the Patriots need to get Brady at least one great outside playmaking threat, if it is Bowe, Wallace, Britt or someone else... He doesn't have that many years left and last season with Lloyd who was in all honestly more bad/average than good and what ended up been Branch starting across from him, it was just terrible and probably cost us another trip to a Superbowl.
Tom Brady Tribute
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is easy to get caught up in what an individual player does as an individual, and other players bring more to the table. But as a unit? Part of me thinks out overall, absolute BEST bet for receiver in drafting Justin Hunter in round 1. Spend FA money on Volmer, Talib, a safety, Edleman.

Plug in Hunter a big play threat (6'4, 4.3 game speed, questionable hands at times this year but more Julio like than Stephen Hill like) running depe routes with Lloyd and Hernande as the 2 & 3 receivers, and Edleman going underneath. Gronk at TE and Vereen out of the backfield?

That is an extremely formidable receiving corp. Terrance Williams is better all around, Patterson is a better athlete, but Hunter will be the best pure deep threat of the draft. In NE, he could be a super star as a rookie.

Hunter down the field, Lloyd and Hernandez mid range, Gronk doing it all, Edleman on occasion underneath, Vereen in the backfield? Easily out best receiving corp since 2007. McDaniels would have a lot of fun.

So, I really think spending big dollars on FA wr is a waste with this coming draft. Britt is the only one I'd really consider trading for. He is cheap, very young, very talented.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefs are working on long-term deals with Bowe and Albert, Broncos announced that they will tag Clady.
Tom Brady Tribute
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colts will not attempt to bring back Freeney or Collie.

Freeney we could really use if it's for a nice fair contract, Collie is probably done in the NFL.
Tom Brady Tribute
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Colts will not attempt to bring back Freeney or Collie.

Freeney we could really use if it's for a nice fair contract, Collie is probably done in the NFL.

Is Freeney really that much of an improvement on Ninkovich at this point of his career to warrant bringing in? And would they really want to put Jones at RE?

Last year it would have made sense. This year, I'm not so sure. I think there are probably a few teams willing to give Freeney a decent contract and a guaranteed starting spot where New England probably won't be a serious consideration.
spr217

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea how much William Moore might cost if he doesn't get tagged by Atlanta? He's my number one free agent for the Pats this offseason, I was hoping we could get him for around $5 million. Also, what might the market for Brent Grimes look like considering his injury history? An Achilles is a major injury, he may never be the same, but I'd still be far more comfortable signing him at $8-9 million a year over Talib, who has also has injury concerns in addition to being a major liability off the field.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spr217 wrote:
Any idea how much William Moore might cost if he doesn't get tagged by Atlanta? He's my number one free agent for the Pats this offseason, I was hoping we could get him for around $5 million. Also, what might the market for Brent Grimes look like considering his injury history? An Achilles is a major injury, he may never be the same, but I'd still be far more comfortable signing him at $8-9 million a year over Talib, who has also has injury concerns in addition to being a major liability off the field.

So you want to spend $14M (of the Pats estimated $15M) on DB's - one who has constant injury problems and the other coming off a major injury (which was an ACL not an Achilles injury)?

I like Moore a lot, but given his injury problems and the price tag - I just don't see the value. Safety isn't a position where I'd want the Pats to sink a lot of money in a guy who can't stay on the field. That position tends to beat guys up badly and once a safety gets the injury bug, it's rare to shake it.

Grimes would be great on a cheap "prove you're healthy" type deal but given the dearth of CB's in the NFL, I'd think someone will be willing to give him a sizable deal. In no way would I want the Pats to give out an expensive, multi-year contract for Grimes. ACL injuries are common for guys to come back from these days but there's such a fine line for CB's.

I have to say, I don't like this plan - despite liking both players.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
ACL injuries are common for guys to come back from these days but there's such a fine line for CB's.

Grimes actually suffered an Achilles injury, not ACL.

I agree that i would only want to bring in Grimes for a cheap "prove-it" type deal but there is no way Grimes will take it if he has better options giving his age, he will want to cash in as much as possible since next season he will already be 30 and it will cut down his value even if he has a very good season in 2013.
Tom Brady Tribute
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
ACL injuries are common for guys to come back from these days but there's such a fine line for CB's.

Grimes actually suffered an Achilles injury, not ACL.

Yeah, you're right. It was initially reported as an ACL by the Associated Press and others.

Quote:
Atlanta's secondary has gone through a lot of personnel change in just three weeks with CB Brent Grimes tearing his ACL

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20351932/falcons-report-card-high-marks-all-around-as-atlanta-soars-to-30

This is the caption the AP used for a picture of Grimes:

Quote:
Brent Grimes came into the Falcons' season as a key cog in their secondary, but he tore his ACL in the first game of the year against the Chiefs and is out for the rest of 2012.

http://www.albanyherald.com/photos/2012/sep/11/53469/
terbo559

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think of Woodson coming to the Patriots if he takes a veteran pay cut? He would probably bring back that veteran safety presence left by Rodney Harrison.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terbo559 wrote:
What do you guys think of Woodson coming to the Patriots if he takes a veteran pay cut? He would probably bring back that veteran safety presence left by Rodney Harrison.

I think Belichick would like to have Woodson on the team, but I'm not 100% sure where he fits, both he and Devin McCourty are FS's and i don't see the Patriots switching McCourty back to CB, maybe he can play part-time snaps as the slot CB, it all depends on the price.
Tom Brady Tribute
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
terbo559 wrote:

I think Belichick would like to have Woodson on the team, but I'm not 100% sure where he fits, both he and Devin McCourty are FS's and i don't see the Patriots switching McCourty back to CB, maybe he can play part-time snaps as the slot CB, it all depends on the price.

I didn't think the Pats would switch McCourty back to CB after the end of 2011 but they did so who knows. If they don't retain Talib, McCourty to CB and signing a stop gap FS (or drafting one?) might be the best option.
terbo559

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
terbo559 wrote:

The way Woodson likes to play like in the box, blitz, covering up near the line, etc. I think he will be best fitted to play Strong safety. Him playing Strong safety, and McCourty playing Free Safety would be a good duo.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terbo559 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
terbo559 wrote:

The way Woodson likes to play like in the box, blitz, covering up near the line, etc. I think he will be best fitted to play Strong safety. Him playing Strong safety, and McCourty playing Free Safety would be a good duo.

He is barely holding on physically as it is at his age [played just 7 games last season] and he isn't built at all like a SS... for the most part i only see him joining the Patriots if he agrees to a below the market deal in order to play slot CB.

If Talib/another starting quality CB isn't signed by the Patriots for whatever reason and McCourty ends up switching back to CB, Woodson can then play FS.
Tom Brady Tribute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 2 of 74

Jump to: