Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trivium Mock #1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trivium2009

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Trivium Mock #1 Reply with quote

Ok I have been thinking long and hard trying to come up with a good mock that won't break our bank. Here we go.

Patriots Free Agents:
Wes Welker
Julian Edelman
Sebastion Vollmer
Aqib Talib
Kyle Arrington
Deion Branch
Donald Thomas
Trevor Scott
Marquice Cole
Danny Woodhead

Patriots Cap Space:
Roughly 16mil

Patriots Cuts:
Daniel Fells 1mil
Spencer Larsen .6mil
Mike Kafka .8mil

Patriots Cap After Cuts:
Roughly 18.3mil

Patriots Resign:
Julian Edelman, 2yr 1mil- Edelman showed flashes of being a good WR for us this past season but a rash of injuries stopped him in his tracks. If anything its depth.

Donald Thomas, 2yr .8mil- Thomas came in last year when the injury bug hit us and did a good job filling the gap. Thomas was nither great nor terrible so his contract number should be about the same.

Kyle Arrington, 1yr 1mil- Arrington struggled half way through the season as a #2 corner, but then in came Talib and up came Dennard and Arrington got bumped to Nickle duty. Nickle is where Arrington succeeded and should be playing next year which earned himself another contract.

Marquice Cole, 1yr .6mil- Cole is just depth at a very weak secondary unit that isn't really good at any single thing.

Patriots Cap Space after Re-signings:
Roughly 14.9mil
Roughly 5mil for Draft
Leaves roughly 9.9mil for Free Agents

Free Agents Signed:
Cary Williams CB, 3yr 3.2 mil- We are not able to resign Talib so we need to find someone to fill his void. Williams had a good year for the Ravens add will be wanting a pay raise that the Ravens won't be able to give him ala Flacco. Williams comes at a bit of a cheaper price then Talib but with that not the same play as Talib ither. Williams has less baggage too.
Cap Left- Roughly 6.7

Phillip Loadholt RT, 4yr 3.8 mil- With Vollmer headed out of town based on teams over paying for him, we will need to find a replacement. Loadholt is a downgrade from Vollmer but not so much as its going to hurt us. Loadholt is more of a run blocker but with our Oline coach he could become a decent pass blocker. Loadholt also is a lot less injury prone as well.
Cap Left- Roughly 2.9mil

Donny Avery WR, 1yr .7mil- Avery showed some good flashes this year for the Colts and could give us a nice down field receiver. If anything he is a cheap depth pick up for a team lacking WR depth.
Cap Left- Roughly 2.2mil

Gary Guyton LB, 1yr .7mil- When we let Guyton walk I was really upset, because he was the only Linebacker on our team that was good as a coverage LB. With that being said Guyton coming back will give us depth at the LB position and will give us a better Coverage LB as well.
Cap Left- Roughly 1.5mil

Amobi Okoye DT, 1yr .8mil- Okoye isn't the best option to solve our pressure up the middle problem but he is still a viable option too, more so than Deadrick or Love.
Cap Left- Roughly .7mil

Patriots Draft:
Trade- Patriots Trade 1.29 to Cardinals for 2.7 and 3.7

Round 2.7 Sylvester Williams DT, North Carolina
Williams is a great pick up here. Williams has the ability to be picked in the first round but doesn't have the consistency, which makes him drop. In my mock we signed Okoye who isn't the long term solution butwill give Williams a year to learn. Williams and Wilfork could make a good Dline even better.

Round 2.29 Markus Wheaton WR, Oregon State
With Welker gone and no clear cut number one receiver Wheaton has a shot to take Welkers empty spot. I was thinking Tavon Austin but decided to go with Wheaton because of his frame is more suitable than Austins. Wheaton has amazing route running ability and speed to not only stretch the field but to make plays after the catch.

Round 3.7 Phillip Thomas S, Fresno State
Chung is gone no questions asked but that still leaves a hole at the Safety position. Gregory looked good at some parts last year but he really is only a stop gap and Wilson looked good with his ball skills but got burned too many times. Insert Thomas into the equation and and we could end up having a really good safety group heading into next year. Thomas is a great athlete who has the ability to hang with a lot of WRs.

Round 3.29 Logan Ryan CB, Rutgers
Talib is gone Williams is in but still have a lack of depth behind him and Dennard. Ryan is a big physical CB much like Talib but with more speed. Ryan is a great zone corner but will also line up man to man. Could challenge Dennard for the CB2 spot.

Cap Left Heading Into Preseason:
Roughly .7mil

Preseason Cuts:
Brandon Deadrick .6mil
Ras I-Dowling 1mil

Cap Left after Cuts
Roughly 2.3mil

Projected Roster/Depth Chart
QB- Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett
RB- Steven Ridley, Brandon Bolden, Shane Vereen, Jeff Demps
FB- James Develin
WR1- Brandon Llyod, Donny Avery, Mathew Slater
WR2- Donny Avery, Markus Wheaton, Julian Edelman
Slot- Markus Wheaton, Julian Edelman
TE- Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Jake Ballard, Michael Hoomanawanui
LT- Nate Solder, Markus Zusevics
LG- Logan Mankins, Donald Thomas
C- Ryan Wendell, Nick McDonald
RG- Dan Connoly, Donald Thomas
RT- Phillip Loadholt, Marcus Cannon

RE- Chandler Jones, Jake Barquette, Marcus Bernard
NT- Vince Wilfork, Kyle Love, Marcus Forston
DT- Amobi Okoye, Sylvester Williams, Jermaine Cunningham
LE- Rob Ninkovick, Armond Armstead, Justin Francis
RLB- Jerod Mayo, Niko Koutouvides
MLB- Brandon Spikes, Dane Fletcher, Mike Rivera
LLB- Donte Hightower, Gary Guyton, Tracy White
CB1- Cary Williams, Kyle Arrington
CB2- Alfonzo Dennard, Logan Ryan, Marquise Cole
Nickle- Logan Ryan, Kyle Arrington
FS- Devin McCourty, Tavon Wilson, Josh Barrett
SS- Steven Gregory, Phillip Thomas, Nate Ebner
K- Stephan Gostkowski
P- Zoltan Mesko
KR- Jeff Demps, Devin McCourty
PR- Julian Edilman, Jeff Demps
LS- Danny Aiken

So plz tell me what you guys think I tried to do more research than I normally do to get the dollar numbers. Thank you for your read. Also I know I didn't add or 2 7 rounds picks because I didn't think that those guys would make the team.
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the FA signings, smart and realistic, great work with the number crunching. I think the draft may very well end up like that with how few picks we have. Sylvester Williams is a mammoth of a DT and would fit nicely next to Vince Wilfork. Wheaton and Thomas are great picks at the spots. Think Avery and Guyton would be great.

Sig by Smack
AAP Chandler Jones
2.5 Sax, 17 tackles, 1 TD
Sciz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cary Williams is seeking $8-10M in free agency. You're not getting him for under $4M.

Loadholt is getting far more than $4M too.

Guyton sucks. He went to the Dolphins. They cut him. He went to the Cowboys. He lasted three days before they cut him. He went to the Chargers and played in one game. He's fast and showed some coverage ability early in his career, but he lost all ability to play the pass or the run in his last year, and apparently other teams don't think he's improved.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_GET_SAX wrote:
I really like the FA signings, smart and realistic, great work with the number crunching. I think the draft may very well end up like that with how few picks we have. Sylvester Williams is a mammoth of a DT and would fit nicely next to Vince Wilfork. Wheaton and Thomas are great picks at the spots. Think Avery and Guyton would be great.
Sarcasm is lost on this kid.

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Trivium Mock #1 Reply with quote

Okay I'll bite. I'm assuming the money next to the deals is per year.

1. Thomas at 800,000/yr isn't happening. There's teams who he could start for out there. Hope we can retain him though.

2. Cary Williams at 3.2 mil/yr isn't happening. Don't think his going rate is as high as the top CBs (Cox, Talib, Gamble when he gets cut, Smith, Lewis) but he'll get more than that for sure. Guessing 5-6/yr when its all said and done.

3. I don't think Loadholt is getting away from the Vikes. They've said he's one of their top priorities. He would be a nice downgrade from Vollmer. Personally, I'd prefer to draft to upgrade the OL and use money to address positions we have a hard time finding in the draft like CB and S.

4. No way Avery signs for that little. Last season was his "prove it" deal, it'll take 3 mil or more and a longer contract to sign him now.

5. Isn't Kafka on a futures contract? Why would we cut him and save money?

6. I really don't like the look of the middle of the field in this mock. Phillip Thomas hasn't impressed me at all and I don't think his skills translate well to the NFL level. Seems like a typical guy like Chung who makes plays in a freelancing role in college, but can't make plays in the NFL within the boundaries of their positional responsibilities. Guyton was awful, which is why he's gone in the first place. Our biggest weakness last season was LB/S coverage in the middle of the field, and with Gregory starting again and no credible nickel LB it'll be just as bad. If we have to draft a safety, I'm a fan of Tony Jefferson. I think he'll provide the "two coverage safeties" element that we were going for with Gregory, except he's actually good at it.

All in all I don't like this roster. Doesn't look realistic or like its biggest issues have been addressed.

I do agree with Deaderick being a preseason cut though. I think we'll add a talented body at DT, and his tweener-ness is going to get him axed for someone who has situational value.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
Cary Williams is seeking $8-10M in free agency. You're not getting him for under $4M.

Loadholt is getting far more than $4M too.

Guyton sucks. He went to the Dolphins. They cut him. He went to the Cowboys. He lasted three days before they cut him. He went to the Chargers and played in one game. He's fast and showed some coverage ability early in his career, but he lost all ability to play the pass or the run in his last year, and apparently other teams don't think he's improved.

But seeking is the key word. I think he's gonna try and settle for a 1/6 prove it type deal when its all said and done, with the goal of getting his big contract next offseason.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
trivium2009

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just looking to help our team without resigning our three free agents. Cary Williams and Phillip Loadholt are not the same talent as Talib or Vollmer but would come cheaper then them as well. That is why I'd like to see those two added. It was my first time crunching numbers so its not down yet. I did this mock thinking for the future because next year Brandon Spikes is a free agent and I really want him back with us, because he gives us something that we are missing, a mean hard hitter. Is the anything I can improve on???
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
I_GET_SAX wrote:
Sarcasm is lost on this kid.

I hope it was sarcasm. In no universe is bringing Gary Guyton back a good idea.
ctpatsfan77

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One key point worth noting about that salary cap number:

Quote:
Patriots Cap Space after Re-signings:
Roughly 14.9mil
Roughly 5mil for Draft
Leaves roughly 9.9mil for Free Agents

That isn't $5M in *new* money.

The Patriots already have a full roster. So every rookie that makes a team knocks a player who's already on the team off the roster—and dumps that salary as well.

All in all, it basically works out that the only part of the rookie cap that isn't already on the salary cap is the signing bonus prorations for players drafted in the first four rounds. In other words, the actual money to subtract for drafted rookies is closer to $2M than $5M.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle Arrington needs to go. Nickel CB or not, the guy sucks. For every play he does make, he makes 3 dumb/bad plays.

Donald Thomas needs to be re-signed. He was super underrated for us this season. Good job there.

I'm still on the fence with the DT pick. The guy is a mammoth don't get me wrong, but I just feel like we have so many other concerns with the secondary and at wide receiver potentially. Just think DT need is more of a depth issue then anything. I'd rather look elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patsfan01 wrote:
Kyle Arrington needs to go. Nickel CB or not, the guy sucks. For every play he does make, he makes 3 dumb/bad plays.

Donald Thomas needs to be re-signed. He was super underrated for us this season. Good job there.

I'm still on the fence with the DT pick. The guy is a mammoth don't get me wrong, but I just feel like we have so many other concerns with the secondary and at wide receiver potentially. Just think DT need is more of a depth issue then anything. I'd rather look elsewhere.

YOU'RE BACK

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
Patsfan01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
YOU'RE BACK

Yep! Very Happy Been super busy. Got a job coaching high school football as well which has been a blast. Now that I got some free time in the offseason, figured I'd swing on back.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patsfan01 wrote:
Quote:
YOU'RE BACK

Yep! Very Happy Been super busy. Got a job coaching high school football as well which has been a blast. Now that I got some free time in the offseason, figured I'd swing on back.

Look at that join date.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: