Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wide Load
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Loadholt wants $7m i would give it to him. He an elite run blocking tackle and has gotten better in pass pro.

Even though Demetress Bell was a LT I would consider his contract a good starting point for Phil.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
If Loadholt wants $7m i would give it to him. He an elite run blocking tackle and has gotten better in pass pro.

Even though Demetress Bell was a LT I would consider his contract a good starting point for Phil.

If you're going to pay Loadholt that kind of money, you may as well say goodbye to players like Greg Jennings, Brian Hartline, Percy Harvin and/or Kevin Williams.

If this team is sitting at $12M in cap space and doesnt make any significant moves of note from now until free agency, I have a hard time believing they can afford to keep Harvin, Loadholt, add a free agent WR/DT, in addition to resigning other important free agents (Felton, Sanford, Jefferson, Brinkley or Henderson).

Unless the Vikings cut Kevin Williams and quickly work to extend Jared Allen, (which is what should be done), how will the Vikings even afford to make any significant moves AND pay Loadholt a contract that the market will likely push into the $7M range.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This team isn't going to make significant moves. We also have 8M of cap rollover so we can be 9.6m over the cap this year.

Loadholt getting a 5 year deal at 7M AAV means his cap hit for year one will be around 5m.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give Load the 7M AAV
We're not going to be a player in free agency.
dont want to open another hole that needs filling with a high pick.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not be a player in FA? How does not using that avenue help your team? But, I'd pay him whatever a top 10-15 RT should make in the new world....that is probably between 5 and 7 million....
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Why not be a player in FA? How does not using that avenue help your team? But, I'd pay him whatever a top 10-15 RT should make in the new world....that is probably between 5 and 7 million....

The issue is, where do you find the money? If you're extending Harvin and Loadholt, that right there is going to cost $12-$14M.

The Vikings have $12M in cap space, (which is really $20M roughly).

If this team chooses to do nothing with Kevin Williams, Jared Allen, and Antoine Winfield, they wont be players in free agency.

Last edited by vikingsrule on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refiguring the cap based on spotrac's numbers and we will have roughly $14M in cap space according to their calculations.

That includes our 1.6M cap credit, and 9.6M cap rollover.

That's why we won't be big free agent players.
joru1000

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just give him an awesome signing bonus and lower salary. he's played 4 seasons with us for very cheap - he probably just wants a lot of money upfront right now more than 10 million a year when he is in his 30's.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of what our cap is, I just don't see us being "players" in free agency. Speilman is a big draft guy and likes finding bargain guys and re-tread type of players in FA. That's just the way he seems to play his cards. I see us resigning Loadholt before Harvin. If Harvin holds out, I just don't see the Vikes playing ball, and would either trade him or decide on spending money on receivers this year and letting him walk the next year.

As far as Kevin Williams, I feel like everyone involved knows that he is not the player he used to be, and I would believe that he could be willing to restructure. If we released him, we'd have a very large hole in the middle which would need to be addressed in BOTH free agency and early in the draft.

At the end of the day, if we let Loadholt go, we are making a very large gamble. He is an established RT with still-growing talent. He is relatively young and will keep our o-line's core intact for years to come. If we let him leave with the hope of finding a free agent, we would have to pay the same if not more to retain the same level of play, and if we look to the draft, we would have to use a high pick (which we desperately need to use elsewhere) to grab a guy who may or may not develop into a starter of equal quality in the next few years.

I have faith in our front office to figure things out and make the contracts work. I've already come to terms and become comfortable with the idea that we probably won't be signing any big name FA's, but I also believe in our abity to find talented youth through the draft.

"NIGHT STALKERS DON'T QUIT"
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loadholt received 11 penalties in 2012, tying him for the fifth most among NFL players. It's worth noting that two of the penalties were for illegal formation, which is actually the fault of the receiver on his side but technically gets called on the tackle, but he also committed five false starts, two holds and two unsportsmanlike conduct fouls.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/53691/franchise-deadline-phil-loadholt

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No surprise here: the Minnesota Vikings passed on using the franchise tag before Monday's deadline. That clears the way for right tackle Phil Loadholt and nine other Vikings to hit the unrestricted free agent market if new deals can't be worked out in the next eight days.

Loadholt was the only plausible candidate for the franchise tag. But that would have required the Vikings to offer him a robust one-year salary of $9.828 million. Instead, they'll now have until 3 p.m. on March 12 to negotiate a new deal or expose Loadholt to the market.

Only eight players were franchised this season across the NFL -- down for a record 21 last year.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_pass_on_tagging_Phil_Loadholt_have_8_days_to_work_out_deal030413

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt be upset if Loadholt left, nor would it shock me. Not many quality young OTs hit the market, even if he is just a RT. He very well could price himself out of what the Vikings consider a reasonable contract.

I think there is a possibility that MN could be looking at RTs in the draft. Though, this seems to be a good year to need a RT.

It wouldnt be the end of the world to let Loadholt walk if the bidding gets too high. As VD mentioned, he is still a highly penalized player and he still is mediocre to below average in pass protection. As a run blocker, he is as elite a they come for a RT and Peterson had most of his success running right.

Continuity is nice, but I would avoid overpaying bottom line.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loadholt was actually above average as a pass blocker this year. Could just be a contract year thing though.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Loadholt was actually above average as a pass blocker this year. Could just be a contract year thing though.

this year he was good, though it might have something to do with more attention being placed on his side with the addition of Kalil. Just speculating, but that was one of the talking points for drafting Kalil last year. Having a LT who could hold there own as a one on one blocker.

We have seen Loadholt struggle as a pass blocker in years past so I wonder if its more the TEs helping than Loadholt improving himself. No doubt he is an elite run blocking RT, and that is valuable for this team, I just wouldnt put a premium on his services.

I get the feeling he may end up getting an enormous contract that will be almost jaw dropping. Like 5 years; $40 million or something ridiculous. Same deal William Beatty received.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the case he's gone. He's not going to be paid more than a left tackle. Even an average one like Beatty.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: