Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brock Osweiler
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dazbroncos


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 302
Location: LA but Aussie thru and thru
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long he does better than Alphonso Smith then hes not a bust.....

but seriously...

He has the tools, now its just about tying them together.

And that process usually comes down to environment. And surely one the best environments currently, if not of all time, is to have
- Elway running the ship ( but also having input to coaching and as a resource for Brock),

- PFM - Again the best in the business to learn from.

- Time - not being required to play and perform right now...

Seems like the perfect environment all around...

And if he turns out to be 1/2 as good as Ben.... look out....

Elway might just start his legacy as a FO legend too.....

Go Broncos
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
BroncoinGermany


Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 2498
Location: Bad Nauheim
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazbroncos wrote:


Elway might just start his legacy as a FO legend too.....


Let's hope so. I have always admired the stability and savvy Ozzie brings to the Ravens franchise. Elway up until now has followed his footsteps.
_________________

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Donut


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 12523
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
broncodad2012 wrote:
after seeing what tom brady did why would anyone want this guy. yea he can play the game but so could T.O. and no one wanted him.

What an absurd comment. And one that doesn't take into account hardly any facts.

What does Tom Brady have to do with anything? I take it you're trying to say that Tom Brady is some altruistic hero for signing a contract extension quietly? One, QBs, especially elite QBs, are treated differently than every other position. Two, the Patriots are a well-run franchise that don't put themselves in salary cap hell the dysfunctional Jets have. They probably promised Brady a year ago that they would work out an extension that would keep him a Patriot for life.

For the record, Tom Brady has earned $99.526m over the course of his career, the fifth-most among current players. The restructured extension he signed today will make his yearly compensation fall between $13 and $15m for each of the next five years. And every penny of that amount is fully guaranteed. Meaning, by 2017, Brady will have earned $170 million dollars over the course of his NFL career.

If no one ever wanted TO how come he played in the league for 15 years and is a lock to go to the Hall of Fame? The only reason TO is not in the NFL anymore is because he's 39 years old and isn't good enough to make a NFL roster (the same thing happened to Jerry Rice). Sure he still wants to play, who wouldn't want to play a game they love and at which they excelled? But he can't, so he's retired.

And why would anyone want Darrelle Revis.? Boy, I don't know, you stumped me there. I guess it could have something to do with the fact that he's an elite player, in his prime, at a position that gets more important in the NFL each season. But no, Tom Brady signed an extension today so no in the NFL should want Revis on their team. Rolling Eyes

I disagree w/ a few things. TO could've probably played longer if he didn't have his issues. It just got to the point risk wasn't worth the reward.
and pats were in a pretty bad position this offseason. We needed all new WRs since apparently Slater is going to be the only one after lloyd is cut. And we have 1 cb under contract not looking at jailtime. He freed up 15mill in cap over the next 2 yrs. He's bailing us out again like he does all the time. But the logic that because he is willing to be paid less to have better shot at winning shouldn't change any view on any other player. I know Brees was getting ripped on for his huge contract(though mostly because he claimed money wasn't a big deal to him). But manning has that huge contract and you shouldn't not like him because Brady's contract(you should probably be really happy w/ having him on your team). Also brady took under market value before he was married and had any kids. Its just what he does for the team, he's not first to and not the last one to.

AKRNA wrote:
I remember after being really pissed for a few days after the draft, going back and looking at player rankings and big boards.

Surprised me a bit that the 55-60 range was where many had Osweiler rated. You didn't have to like the pick, but he wasn't a reach.

also the range of talent in that area was very similar. I think when he was taken he was the 2nd best QB but w/ way more upside(I personally thought Cousins cand be quite good but same w/ os if he is spent a lot of time holding a clipboard).

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
In talking to people, listening to the radio, reading comments on message boards such as here and elsewhere, I've come to the conclusion that Broncos fans and followers can be divided into two camps.

The first, and these folks all hate the Osweiler pick, think we need to be in total "win now" mode. These folks want us to sign free agents like Ed Reed, Brian Urlacher, Steven Jackson, Wes Welker and spend our draft picks on players who will start at key positions immediately be upgrades over the players they replace. The logic is that we signed Peyton Manning to win a Super Bowl in 2012-2014 period so we need to do everything we can that we think helps achieve that end, 2015 and beyond be damned. It's a understandable position to have and the one I used to hold. Honestly, it's the approach Mike Shanahan used when he took over the franchise in 1995. The result was back-to-back Super Bowls so it's understandable that this is route many fans want us to take.

The second camp, and this is where Elway is so it's really all that matters, believe that winning now and building for the future aren't mutually exclusive. This group believes primarily in building through the draft and using veteran free agency solely as a means to supplement the team around the edges. The free agents that are signed are second- and third-tier free agents who are young and in their primes, affordable and will happily play a supplemental, rather than starring, role on the team. Players like Mike Adams, Joel Dreessen, Trindon Holliday, Jacob Hester and Tracy Porter fit this mold. If things don't work out with these players, they are let go and the team is not left high and dry at a key position nor deep in the red financially. The draft is where the core of the team is constructed. The plan is that early (1-2) round picks should compete for and win starting jobs their first year (Von, Moore, Franklin, Wolfe) while middle and late round picks are developed for the future while contributing on special teams and as situational players in the mean time (Irving, Bolden, Trevathan, Green, Hillman, Jackson). This is the same approach to roster building that has been used to great success by the Packers, Giants, Ravens, Colts and Steelers, winners of six of the last seven Super Bowls.

Anyway, this is just an observation I had and thought it was worth sharing. Agree? Disagree?

I agree w/ the concepts laid out but I think veteran backups and role players are still useful. I agree overpaying for over the hill Urlacher or welker instead of drafting and devloping is poor decision. But Steven Jackson I think you could get on a discount and as a change of pace from hillmans speed to a complete power back. The idea of getting depth and roleplayers in fa while base of your team should mostly be made of guys that you draft.
_________________
dhunt2402 wrote:
You're like the patron saint of roster bubble players Laughing
Adopt a Patriot: Tim Wright
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
BroncoinGermany


Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 2498
Location: Bad Nauheim
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oz seems to have matured quite a bit. Keep it going, string bean.

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/story/Osweiler-has-no-regrets-about-early-exit?blockID=878761&feedID=3702
_________________

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mke1010


Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 1784
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this quote by Brock.

Its an honor and its an experience, Osweiler said. The thing about Peyton is hes truly taught me how to be a professional just by watching him. When I look back to my ASU career, it makes me feel like a kid sometimes with the way I was doing things.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul-mac


Joined: 12 Jul 2009
Posts: 8890
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not hating on Brock, but if a QB we like is available in 2 or 3 this year, why not take him as well?


Sure wouldn't hurt to have another option to replace Peyton, and who knows maybe they both work out and we have a trading chip.
_________________
Big Palooka wrote:
Broncos won't make the playoffs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
BroncoinGermany


Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 2498
Location: Bad Nauheim
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
Not hating on Brock, but if a QB we like is available in 2 or 3 this year, why not take him as well?


Sure wouldn't hurt to have another option to replace Peyton, and who knows maybe they both work out and we have a trading chip.


I can see where you are coming from, doing it Reid/Belichick/Shanahan style, but not this year. Maybe next year where the class is supposed to be deeper...
_________________

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Russell2Bailey


Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Posts: 12905
Location: Where I will, I'll roam.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do horrible, unforgivable, sinful things in order to draft Teddy Bridgewater.
_________________
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
AnAngryAmerican


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 18550
Location: Loveland, CO
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
Not hating on Brock, but if a QB we like is available in 2 or 3 this year, why not take him as well?

Because QB is at the very bottom of our lists of needs. I would take a SLB or LT before I take a QB. Elway and the coaching staff are very happy with Osweiler's development. We have QB of the present and our QB of the future, it would be unbelievably foolish to spend a premium pick on another QB. I can't believe this is even being suggested. We can sign someone off the street to be the emergency QB.

I really don't understand why we cut Caleb Hanie, is there really a need to find a better 3rd-stringer? Oh well.
_________________
big_palooka:

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Russell2Bailey


Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Posts: 12905
Location: Where I will, I'll roam.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
Not hating on Brock, but if a QB we like is available in 2 or 3 this year, why not take him as well?

Because QB is at the very bottom of our lists of needs. I would take a SLB or LT before I take a QB. Elway and the coaching staff are very happy with Osweiler's development. We have QB of the present and our QB of the future, it would be unbelievably foolish to spend a premium pick on another QB. I can't believe this is even being suggested. We can sign someone off the street to be the emergency QB.

I really don't understand why we cut Caleb Hanie, is there really a need to find a better 3rd-stringer? Oh well.
Probably for his salary.
_________________
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Reggie Nelson#1


Joined: 08 Mar 2007
Posts: 3302
Location: Montreal, Canada
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
Not hating on Brock, but if a QB we like is available in 2 or 3 this year, why not take him as well?

Because QB is at the very bottom of our lists of needs. I would take a SLB or LT before I take a QB. Elway and the coaching staff are very happy with Osweiler's development. We have QB of the present and our QB of the future, it would be unbelievably foolish to spend a premium pick on another QB. I can't believe this is even being suggested. We can sign someone off the street to be the emergency QB.

I really don't understand why we cut Caleb Hanie, is there really a need to find a better 3rd-stringer? Oh well.

Personally, I wouldn't mind drafting a guy like Landry Jones around the 4th-5th round if he's the BPA. If they don't draft any QB, let's get one after the draft through Free agency. Hanie was only a security blanket... filled with holes...
The guy wasn't even dressed on game day, it's not like we lost a piece of the puzzle.

We can find a better one through the draft or FA. I'd like to see someone fighting for the #2 spot even if we all know the spot belong to Brock.
_________________
On Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:41 pm, AnAngryAmerican wrote:
This team won't win a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group