Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brock Osweiler
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobdevine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Brock Osweiler Reply with quote

What's the future for Brock Osweiler?

My hope is that Osweiler will be ready in a few years to start. Maybe he will play more than a few plays this year.

Here's a piece by a Denver/ESPN guy (I don't know his reputation):

Quote:
It’s likely going to be a couple of years before we see Brock Osweiler on the field for the Broncos. During that time he’ll be able to learn, grow, and get experience in the Broncos system. If he hits and develops up to his full potential then I see him as a Ben Roethlisberger-like talent. That’s a pretty good QB to get with the 57th overall pick. Basically, the Broncos got a first-round talent and are giving him the best mentor he could possibly have. Broncos fans should be very excited about his progress and upside as a starting QB.

http://denverssportsstation.com/common/page.php?pt=cecillammey&id=74
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice read and thanks for posting.

So ignoring the context of his selection and just looking at his prospects, I am optimistic for the future, too. With 2 to 3 years of further training under the wings of Manning, Gase and Knapp, I think we are going to have a young QB who is at the minimum a more polished Josh Freeman, most likely another version of Flacco or if everythings pans out the next coming of Rivers.

We have grown accustomed to see fast success of the QBs drafted over the last few years. Of course playing is what really lets one improve, but to prevent some of the growing pains on the field by longer coaching immediately puts Osweiler ahead of the curve. Some kinks can be worked on in practice and in the film room, certainly with a good supporting cast around oneself, so that the don't have to cause trouble on Sundays first and hinder the team.

All I am saying is: Excluding the clear-cut first round QB prospects of the years past, Osweiler has a realistic chance to be where Flacco, Dalton and Wilson etc. where/are going to be in their 2nd year of playing just in his 1st year of action because of having dealt with the cerebral aspect of the game longer than they did.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am excited for the kid. Elway did a good job sacrificing a 2nd overall pick to get a QB to transition from Manning when he retires. This way we don't have to wait 15 years before our next franchise QB comes around.
elliot878

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't huge on Osweiller as a prospect. Thought a year more of college playing time would have benefitted him a lot, and he'd probably be a Chief had he stayed.

Having left early, I thought he'd need to land in a situation where he can learn and develop if he was to reach his potential, which could be huge. He's been put into the perfect situation here and Denver.

There was a lot of belly-aching around draft time last year that he's not an immediate impact player. I get that, and I agree with it, with the exception of the QB position. QB is the only position that its acceptable to use an early pick for long term development. The QB position is one you need to have a franchise guy at to be successful and win Super Bowls. If we properly develop Osweiller so that he is ready to come in when Peyton's done and we transition seamlessly to the next generation at QB, and stay highly competitive post Manning, people will be very very thankful for the pick.

I don't want this franchise to have to go on another decade+ long search for their next quarterback after Manning retires. We went through that after Elway retired, and the mediocrity of it all was miserable. Elway picked Osweiller so we wouldn't have to go through that purgatory period of quarterbacks after the franchise retires. I liked the pick for that reason. I hope if works out that we don't have to go on that long search again. I have high hopes that we won't have to.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I just wanna throw this out there. I can't take Cecil Lammey seriously. He always looks like such a tool in his pics.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trust a lot of what Cecil Lammey writes, he's pretty good. He looks like the ultra-bro of the century but I can get past that....sometimes.

Anyway, had Osweiler stayed at ASU and not imploded, he would've been the #1 pick this year and I firmly believe that. He needed to sit and fine-tune parts of his game (release angle being big which Lammey mentions) but I think he needed time to grasp a more complex offensive system than what he played under at ASU. He's got two more years under Manning is my guess, and if these reports that he's progressed are to be believed, and it seems like quite a few people are saying this now, than the leap in year two should be good. We'll know soon. I didn't like the Brock pick much at the time, but I do think that it makes sense. The draft is as much about winning now as it is growing the team for the future. You put all the eggs in the Manning bucket in FA, and that's fine, but there will be a team past Manning.

No second round pick was going to help us beat Baltimore last year. We beat ourselves. Osweiler provides some bridge to the life after Peyton and unless we want to be stuck in mediocrity developing a rookie QB at that time or bouncing around FA vets, this was a wise move.

Thanks, Tzimisce
hibdib31

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm somewhat excited for Brock because he has been given an increasingly rare opportunity in today's NFL: a young QB with the talent and tools being allowed to sit, learn, and grow before getting thrown into the fire. High pick QBs are expected to go in and not only take the starting job, but perform and meet expectations for a high draft choice. Brock has the pressure off right now, but after Peyton steps down it's on full steam.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the topic. He is after all our future.

I’m gonna’ open up the unsubstantiated rumor mill a bit so here goes. He’s been a great study under PM and a very hard worker. A lot of his work has been in accuracy which I understand has increased immensely.
The mental aspects, reading defenses, hot reads, audibles etc he’s picking up rapidly thanks again to one PM.

Guys’ this isn’t a gangly, awkward 6’8” QB. For a man his size he’s incredibly mobile and a fine athlete. When he finally takes the reins he’ll be playing in the 250-260lb range but still lean.

Now, imagine PM with a gun. A guy that can hit a moving mailbox at 60 yards on a frozen rope. How ‘bout scooting for 10 yards when the pocket collapses or shedding tacklers to extend a play.

I was lukewarm on the pick when we made it but like others have posted, there was no one there at his spot that would have gotten us to the SB anyway. IMO Brock insures we’ll be in the SB conversation for a very long time.

Actually, I think the QB controversy may come pretty soon. Teams tend to clamp down on our short/intermediate routes. Do that with this kid and he’ll burn ya.

Anyway, put me down as his #1 fan on this site. Love his talent , attitude, work ethic and small town persona. My folks retired in Kalispell and he’s continually the talk of the town. Still says Sir” and “Ma’am” though. In this day and age I find that quite refreshing.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have to state something here. Manning is what 37 years old? While I think he will stay healthy, he is getting older, which means there is a chance he misses a few games, which means Brock may have to play in relief a bit sooner than we expect. I am just sayen.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read for this topic.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22566882/brock-osweilers-selection-by-broncos-draft-still-draws
elliot878

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry AK but I think DBronx gets the number one Brock fan award. He went to battle defending the Brock pick post draft. Pretty sure it was him at least. Hope he turns out so good were all clamping to be his biggest fan. I'm excited about him!

Also AK, whose your source for the info on Brock's progression? Kuper?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:

I’m gonna’ open up the unsubstantiated rumor mill a bit so here goes. He’s been a great study under PM and a very hard worker. A lot of his work has been in accuracy which I understand has increased immensely.
The mental aspects, reading defenses, hot reads, audibles etc he’s picking up rapidly thanks again to one PM.

Guys’ this isn’t a gangly, awkward 6’8” QB. For a man his size he’s incredibly mobile and a fine athlete. When he finally takes the reins he’ll be playing in the 250-260lb range but still lean.

Now, imagine PM with a gun. A guy that can hit a moving mailbox at 60 yards on a frozen rope. How ‘bout scooting for 10 yards when the pocket collapses or shedding tacklers to extend a play.

I was lukewarm on the pick when we made it but like others have posted, there was no one there at his spot that would have gotten us to the SB anyway. IMO Brock insures we’ll be in the SB conversation for a very long time.

Actually, I think the QB controversy may come pretty soon. Teams tend to clamp down on our short/intermediate routes. Do that with this kid and he’ll burn ya.

Anyway, put me down as his #1 fan on this site. Love his talent , attitude, work ethic and small town persona. My folks retired in Kalispell and he’s continually the talk of the town. Still says Sir” and “Ma’am” though. In this day and age I find that quite refreshing.

Im high on the person but not the player, yet. Hes got a lot to do to prove why we would draft a player, in the 2nd round nonetheless, to sit on the bench of a team trying to compete for the SuperBowl every year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:

Im high on the person but not the player, yet. Hes got a lot to do to prove why we would draft a player, in the 2nd round nonetheless, to sit on the bench of a team trying to compete for the SuperBowl every year.

This is exactly the type of reasoning that leads to a team winning a super bowl and then sucking for 20 years ala the 49ers.
Striving to win the super bowl right away and sacrificing a 2nd round pick for a possible franchise quarter back of the future are not mutually exclusive. I am tired of folks moaning about this pick. In this era of "Mcworld" folks want instant gratification for everything.

Life doesn't work that way. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little of the present for the future. And doing so doesn't mean that you still cant be super bowl champions in the present. The Broncos almost proved that this year. Other teams have proven that you can strive to win in the present while at the same time investing in the future. Cheers.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Brock Osweiler Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:
What's the future for Brock Osweiler?

My hope is that Osweiler will be ready in a few years to start. Maybe he will play more than a few plays this year.

Here's a piece by a Denver/ESPN guy (I don't know his reputation):

Quote:
It’s likely going to be a couple of years before we see Brock Osweiler on the field for the Broncos. During that time he’ll be able to learn, grow, and get experience in the Broncos system. If he hits and develops up to his full potential then I see him as a Ben Roethlisberger-like talent. That’s a pretty good QB to get with the 57th overall pick. Basically, the Broncos got a first-round talent and are giving him the best mentor he could possibly have. Broncos fans should be very excited about his progress and upside as a starting QB.

http://denverssportsstation.com/common/page.php?pt=cecillammey&id=74

The comparison to Big Ben only holds for their physical stature. Like Ben, Oswelier is big and tall, has a very strong arm and moves around very well for someone his size. What makes Ben special, however, is that he can extend plays a way no other QB in the NFL (sans maybe Cam Newton) can, always keeps his eyes downfield, is a pass-first, run only as a very last resort QB. He's also proven to be clutch, poised and a vocal and charismatic leader with the "it" factor. We won't know if Osweiler has those traits until he plays.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:

This is exactly the type of reasoning that leads to a team winning a super bowl and then sucking for 20 years ala the 49ers.
Striving to win the super bowl right away and sacrificing a 2nd round pick for a possible franchise quarter back of the future are not mutually exclusive. I am tired of folks moaning about this pick. In this era of "Mcworld" folks want instant gratification for everything.

Life doesn't work that way. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little of the present for the future. And doing so doesn't mean that you still cant be super bowl champions in the present. The Broncos almost proved that this year. Other teams have proven that you can strive to win in the present while at the same time investing in the future. Cheers.

Well... You just sparked a lot of touchy subjects. I will try to be civil.

First of all, the "McDworld" comment is just idiotic and childish. Get with the times my man. Its a "what have you done for me lately" world. If you dont understand this premise, then you wont understand the topic.

What I said (and have said many times now) is that taking a QB in the 2nd round is fine, as long as its done at the right time. Last year was not the right time IMO, AND THATS MY OPINION. The Broncos were the 2nd worst team in the NFL 2 years ago. SECOND WORST. You dont just become a SuperBowl team by adding Peyton Manning to the mix. John Elway said it best, "You have to build in the draft". That is my point. I would have liked to spend at least 2 drafts on key positions around Manning, then draft a QB to sit behind Manning for his last 2-3 years.

I hope you understand that it is possible for Brock to never play a down with the Broncos and go on to become a Franchise-QB for another team. He signed a 4-year rookie deal and Peyton signed a 5-year deal. If theres a blowout in that last year and he doesnt want to play for this franchise, he could very easily walk in Free Agency. Then what would you say?

Never ONCE did I say, "I dont approve the IDEA". I just dont approve the pick or the player. The IDEA's great, if it works out! I just wasnt (and still not) the biggest Brock fan. I think hes a LONG way from becoming a franchise-type QB. You are probably the guy that thinks QBing in the NFL is easy, as long as you are tall and have a right arm. I look at the nuances of the game and studied him last summer. He was not the best QB in college last year and struggled in big games. Ive debated this topic with smarter folks around here and theres definitely an argument for both sides.

If were going to debate the IDEA of drafting a QB in the 2nd round, after signing a franchise-QB for 5 years, then lets do it. But this garbage about "live in the now" crap is childish and I wont get into with you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: