Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Shaun Phillips anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawgpound1816

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Shaun Phillips anyone? Reply with quote

I was reading on rotoworld.com that the Cleveland Browns and Arizona Cardinals have expressed interest in Shaun Phillips....Whatcha think? He would be a stopgap and mentor to whomever we bring in, and he will be cheap.

R.I.P. Brother Crakburn - Never Bark in the Dark Brother Crakburn....For all of us Dawgs will be barking to the heavens for you.
bruceb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will leave that up to Horton/Turner/Lombardi, et al.
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would do it for a year, maybe two and also draft his replacement this year. His replacement could even replace him this year,I'd do it win-win

PSN: bench515lbs
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea a lot. He could be a leader on defenese and help the transition to the 34 defense by teaching Jabaal Sheard and whatever other OLBs we bring in. He'll be 32 but I can think of a ton of 34 OLB who have played well past 32 at a productive level such as James Harrison, Jason Taylor and Joey Porter.

Jamison on the sig
cattleman78

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
I like the idea a lot. He could be a leader on defenese and help the transition to the 34 defense by teaching Jabaal Sheard and whatever other OLBs we bring in. He'll be 32 but I can think of a ton of 34 OLB who have played well past 32 at a productive level such as James Harrison, Jason Taylor and Joey Porter.

Depending how long we sign him for and how much I agree. We actually need two o.l.b's at a minimum. This would also open up the 6th pick to someone else like Milliner c.b. or Vaccaro safety. I do think P hilips should be limited to no more than 60% of snaps at his age. A two year contract would be fine.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
H2ThaIzzo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of signing him, but signing him should not mean that we ignore the position and go another direction early. If a cornerback or safety is rated higher than the best OLB, then I am on board.

"The league has maintained that they will not suspend players for a positive result caused by second-hand smoke in the past:"
dawgpound1816

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:

Depending how long we sign him for and how much I agree. We actually need two o.l.b's at a minimum. This would also open up the 6th pick to someone else like Milliner c.b. or Vaccaro safety. I do think P hilips should be limited to no more than 60% of snaps at his age. A two year contract would be fine.

I'd like to see Phillips here aswell. I think he will help the transition similar to McGinest did, and he won't hinder our chances in getting younger players at other positions....if not his own. He's not going to blow the doors off, but he will be instrumental in the development of our OLBs. IMO.....I think Kruger would be the opposite. His play will help the defense, but becoming a mentor.....For some reason I just can't see it. He's always been the one getting mentored. I think he'll be more pressed into being the money maker. Phillips to me has already shown at multiple times being instrumental in trying to help develop others. Larry English, Melvin Ingram, Antwan Barnes and others. I think he understands his role. He's still effective, but Father Time isn't on his side.

R.I.P. Brother Crakburn - Never Bark in the Dark Brother Crakburn....For all of us Dawgs will be barking to the heavens for you.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly I don't think he has been that good for a couple years now

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

dawgpound1816

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to this b/c I don't think I'm making myself clear in a sense. I think Kruger would be a decent pickup, but I'd much rather have him where Sheard plays instead of at Rush ROLB. I don't think he has the natural ability to quickly get upfield and get to the QB on the right side. I'd much rather get a young one with more athletic ability and quicks off the edge. He'll be able to set the edge on rush downs, but getting passed the LT with a burst. He's no Clay Matthews.....and that's the type of money we'd be spending on him.

dawgpound1816

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Frankly I don't think he has been that good for a couple years now

As a developmental guy.....or a player period? I understand he's not going to be the concensus blow your skirt up type of player.....but neither is Kruger. Kruger had amazing talent around him which took alot of pressure off of him, while Phillips has made his mark being the situational player and mentor as of late.

BocaRatonBrown1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:

It would never happen bu I woud love Harrison signed to a deal. He could get choppedand they never had an issue before choping there star OLB
Brownsalltheway

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see it, and I'd love it. If you go over his stats, he was one of the more consistent sack leaders in the game. He struggles mightily against the run, though, and yet he's pretty good at pass coverage.

I won't be shocked if we bring him in, but I would be shocked if it were to be the main starter. He seems like the kind of guy to bring in, then we go draft one of the pure athlete types in the first round (Ziggy Ansah or Dion Jordon) to help develop.

Jordon needs to get a bit stronger, but aside from that I think he could be a good fit. Ansah is raw and a bit bing for a 3-4 OLB, but he was so dominating at the Senior Bowl it's hard to discount him at #6.

I'm not sure how well everyone remembers, but most draftniks didn't believe Aldon Smith was worthy of going in the top ten, but I don't think anyone in San Francisco is complaining about that move...

But back to Phillips, I think picking him up would be a smart move.
Brownsalltheway

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of feel like Shaun Phillips would play the role of part-time but effective rusher that Ju'qua Parker did this past year...only Phillips is a bit better at that task.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: