Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

BPA OR NEED??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: BPA OR NEED?? Reply with quote

I bring this up because of a article I read regarding Ozzie Newsome and his philosophy of drafting BPA over need and staying true to his board no matter what. It goes back to when he drafted Ed Reed at the time they had a major need for CB and the pick came down to lito sheppard or Ed Reed he choose Reed despite it not being a need at the time but Reed at a slightly higher grade. I bring this up because I have seen some mocks lately with us take Vaccaro the safety. What are your thoughts regarding BPA vs need?
carlos2104

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously you want the BPA to be a position of need, but it's unlikely. I would say BPA with just a couple exceptions. Like if it is your strongest position by far, or if BPA is running back. Not big on 1st round RB's.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You draft BPA (QB being the exception)

FA is for filling the holes in the roster (needs)
Phinsfan93

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carlos2104 wrote:
Obviously you want the BPA to be a position of need, but it's unlikely. I would say BPA with just a couple exceptions. Like if it is your strongest position by far, or if BPA is running back. Not big on 1st round RB's.

Agree
Maddogg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should always be drafting BPA. However even with that said it clearly depends on how you rate a player. When I make up my board it is pretty much done with right after the Bowls are done. The only way it changes is through injury or they find ten pounds of pot in the trunk of his car while he is getting arrested for a DUI at 3 am and the girl with him just turned sixteen.

If you draft for need you miss out on the guys who put you in the playoffs every year with a shot at the Super Bowl. In other words you pick Ted Ginn with the nineth pick in the 2007 draft because you need a wide receiver and pass on Patrick Willis. Hmmm whats a big need this year.......

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 6, Tackles 7 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 7 : Death 24 Joe 21
RealMetalFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
You should always be drafting BPA. However even with that said it clearly depends on how you rate a player. When I make up my board it is pretty much done with right after the Bowls are done. The only way it changes is through injury or they find ten pounds of pot in the trunk of his car while he is getting arrested for a DUI at 3 am and the girl with him just turned sixteen.

If you draft for need you miss out on the guys who put you in the playoffs every year with a shot at the Super Bowl. In other words you pick Ted Ginn with the nineth pick in the 2007 draft because you need a wide receiver and pass on Patrick Willis. Hmmm whats a big need this year.......

Oh no! We're gonna miss out on Manti Te'o!!!!

That right there is Catrinel Menghia, hottest woman who ever lived, soon to be Catrinel Alexander if she isn't careful.
skatewood2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with BPA, fortunately for us we have so many needs that we can draft BPA and still hit at one of our needed position IMO.

NFL - Miami Dolphins
College - THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Warpticon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best player available weighted for positional scarcity and depth.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BPA....the Dolphins have so many holes they are bound to have the BPA be in a position of need.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like everyone is on track......BPA.

I will offer one exception to drafting BPA and it isn't position, but scheme. If the player is obviously the BPA but just flat out doesn't fit your teams scheme then you have to go elsewhere IMO.
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You always try to go with BPA and sometimes BPA fills a need. There are times where you can't go wrong with about 5 players at a pick. I think this year at 12 we can see Ansah, Banks, Veccaro, and Fisher at our spot. All of them fill a need and all them will be BPA at that spot. To me that is a good predicament

UniversalAuthor
FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think about drafting Dion Jordan? I was making my mock and started thinking about who I should give to Miami. At first I went with Patterson, but I fully expect you guys to sign a WR in FA.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
What do you guys think about drafting Dion Jordan? I was making my mock and started thinking about who I should give to Miami. At first I went with Patterson, but I fully expect you guys to sign a WR in FA.

I'd love Dion Jordan. Love his versatility. I don't think a lot of these guys are on to him yet but I am. I think he could really add what this defense lacks. Speed and pass rush. He can also cover at LB

UniversalAuthor
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:

Oregon Defender....that is a bit of a tweener...I'll pass....I think the bust potential is far too him with him.

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should draft BPA, we will draft need.

Almost all teams preach BPA, and then draft for need. We are no different.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: