Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayvens4sb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Mock Draft Reply with quote

Important Offseason Moves
Paul Kruger goes to the Colts
Birk is cut
Reed is resigned
Boldin is extended
Ellerbe goes somewhere else

1. Manti Teo, LB
2. Margus Hunt, DE
3. Bacarri Rambo, S
4. Nico Johnson, LB
4 (comp). Terron Armstead, OT
5. Xavier Nixon, OT
5 (comp). William Gholston, DE
6. Nickell Robey, CB
6 (comp). Ray Ray Armstrong, S
6 (comp). Eric Martin, DE
7. Brad Wing, P

What do you guys think?
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh... I like the first two picks. With Reed coming back I really don't like taking Rambo or any safety that early. The team just wouldn't get any value out of him for a couple of years (I wouldn't expect Reed to come back for only one more year) unless an injury occurs. Having security is nice but not when the team has other and more important needs to address like the pass-rush. Hell no on Nico Johnson. He's not going to be anything more than McClain. Armstead is nice. I'm not familiar with Nixon but I don't think they double up at OT. At that point Gholston is pretty good but I question the logic of taking another developmental DE when the team will still have Ngata, Jones, and McPhee. Robey is meh as is Armstrong, but I don't get that pick. Aside from needing a starter at FS if Reed retires the team already has pretty good and young depth at the position. I don't know anything about Martin but again that just seems like overkill to by taking another DE. Brad Wing would be a steal at that point but punter isn't a need whatsoever.
rayvens4sb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Eh... I like the first two picks. With Reed coming back I really don't like taking Rambo or any safety that early. The team just wouldn't get any value out of him for a couple of years (I wouldn't expect Reed to come back for only one more year) unless an injury occurs. Having security is nice but not when the team has other and more important needs to address like the pass-rush. Hell no on Nico Johnson. He's not going to be anything more than McClain. Armstead is nice. I'm not familiar with Nixon but I don't think they double up at OT. At that point Gholston is pretty good but I question the logic of taking another developmental DE when the team will still have Ngata, Jones, and McPhee. Robey is meh as is Armstrong, but I don't get that pick. Aside from needing a starter at FS if Reed retires the team already has pretty good and young depth at the position. I don't know anything about Martin but again that just seems like overkill to by taking another DE. Brad Wing would be a steal at that point but punter isn't a need whatsoever.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking that Wing could compete with Koch in the offseason, since I feel he's declined pretty significantly. If Wing loses, a seventh round pick really isn't a big deal. TBH, while I was making the mock, I didn't realize how many picks we would have because of the supplemental picks and couldn't really find other real needs that needed to be addressed. At WR, I thought that if we weren't going to get someone with great upside, there was no real point in getting one at all, although I suppose DT could be a bigger need. Also, I'm not so sure Reed will stay for more than one season since he has talked retirement for many seasons and he's pretty injury prone. Martin is basically a seventh round pick, which I saw had some upside, and I think he could turn out to be like Tyson or even Jones. What's wrong with Nico? Overall, he seems like a solid player. I'm also under the impression that McKinnie will probably be here for only one more year, which is why I decided to double up on OT, and we've doubled up on positions a few times in the past couple years. I agree that maybe I went overkill with it but without trading, I couldn't really find a need that could be resolved with a later round pick.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I could see the reasoning behind bringing Wing in for competition I just don't think Koch's job is in danger at all. He wasn't his usual beastly self this season but he was still easily one of the top 10 punters in the NFL.

I agree with the point about WR. I'm not expecting both Boldin and Jones to be gone (neither actually) and if one of them is cut then I wouldn't be surprised to see the team just stick Doss in as the #3 and see what he can do with Streeter possibly providing competition for that role.

I still don't see Reed coming back or only one more season. He has talked a lot about retirement but Reed talks a lot about everything. His health would definitely be a big factor but if that's the case then I think he would just retire this offseason.

Martin could turn out to be like Jones or Tyson but Jones and Tyson will still be on the team. Like I said in another thread depth along the DL is nice but we have to be realistic about it. Hall wasn't bad either when he played this season and I think he and Tyson are fine as the third string depth along the DL. Then you have 5 guys other guys already on the roster at that position after taking Hunt and Gholston (in addition to Ngata, Jones, and McPhee).

As for Nico, I just don't see anything about him that leads me to believe he would make plays in the NFL. The perfect example of average at best, or as I like to say "Jameel McClain." One of those guys is bad enough but two? Eww.

I could see that reasoning for taking two OTs play out. If McKinnie is brought back it would definitely be on a short-term contract. Even if that happens though the team still has Reid and Harewood as depth that can play OT as well as Osemele and Yanda who can kick out there in a pinch. One developmental LT would be enough in my opinion.

Your reasoning is solid I just don't agree with some of it. Pretty much business as usual for me though. I like to debate. Laughing
rayvens4sb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Yeah I could see the reasoning behind bringing Wing in for competition I just don't think Koch's job is in danger at all. He wasn't his usual beastly self this season but he was still easily one of the top 10 punters in the NFL.

I agree with the point about WR. I'm not expecting both Boldin and Jones to be gone (neither actually) and if one of them is cut then I wouldn't be surprised to see the team just stick Doss in as the #3 and see what he can do with Streeter possibly providing competition for that role.

I still don't see Reed coming back or only one more season. He has talked a lot about retirement but Reed talks a lot about everything. His health would definitely be a big factor but if that's the case then I think he would just retire this offseason.

Martin could turn out to be like Jones or Tyson but Jones and Tyson will still be on the team. Like I said in another thread depth along the DL is nice but we have to be realistic about it. Hall wasn't bad either when he played this season and I think he and Tyson are fine as the third string depth along the DL. Then you have 5 guys other guys already on the roster at that position after taking Hunt and Gholston (in addition to Ngata, Jones, and McPhee).

As for Nico, I just don't see anything about him that leads me to believe he would make plays in the NFL. The perfect example of average at best, or as I like to say "Jameel McClain." One of those guys is bad enough but two? Eww.

I could see that reasoning for taking two OTs play out. If McKinnie is brought back it would definitely be on a short-term contract. Even if that happens though the team still has Reid and Harewood as depth that can play OT as well as Osemele and Yanda who can kick out there in a pinch. One developmental LT would be enough in my opinion.

Your reasoning is solid I just don't agree with some of it. Pretty much business as usual for me though. I like to debate. Laughing

Not criticizing at all, just curious, but what positions would you pick with this many picks in the draft without trading? Throughout the season, I, like most fans felt we had so many holes in the team. But now, come draft time, I'm kinda having a hard time finding enough for 11 picks in the draft lol. Also, I just watched more tape on johnson and I don't really see how he is as bad as McClain. I think he'll be a decent player but yea I don't see an elite player. What do you think about Kiko Alonso? Just watched some tape on him, and while he makes a couple mistakes and I heard he has some off the field issues, he seems a bit more athletic than johnson and may be a better 4th round pick. Also, if we don't double up in the fourth, maybe Klein in the 5th or the 4th comp would be a decent pick? I really think we should double up on LB especially if ellerbe is not brought back like I think.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it does seem like the Ravens will have too many picks relative to their needs. I think they're in a prime position to trade up a couple of times but those kinds of things are so hard to predict I almost never include them in any mock I do. The offensive line is a place where I could see multiple picks going into but spread across OT, OG, and maybe a later round C to compete with Gradkowski/provide depth at the position. LB is another spot I think they could double or triple up at with a pass-rusher and at least one ILB. Other than that it's hard to find an area that lacks quality depth on the team. There are multiple needs on the team but it seems like a lot of them could be covered with just one player (whether it be a starter or a depth player). Since the Ravens won't be payers in free agency it seems reasonable that they're going to rely on the draft more this offseason.

I'm not as familiar with Alonso but I like what I've seen from him so far. I've heard that his biggest question mark is his intelligence but I don't know if that's true. He's a really interesting prospect. The same goes for Klein (not the intelligence issues, just that I'm not as familiar with him as some of the higher rated ILBs because I haven't looked in-depth at some of the lower rated guys yet). I'd easily take either of them over Johnson though.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way Klein falls past the 3rd round. Honestly, I think he has 2nd round potential. He's a beast. But yeah, unless he slaps a police officer, the guy is simply too talented to not go in the 3rd round at the latest.

In terms of the mock...
1. Te'O- He's cool. I'd have no complaints with that pick. But obviously Arthur Brown is my favorite ILB in this class. Kevin Minter is 2nd. I'd rank Te'O and Greene pretty tight, not sure who I'd prefer of the two. I'd lean towards Te'O there for now, though it depends on where each measures in athletically. Greene has more upside however. But yeah... Te'O is cool.

2. Margus Hunt is an intriguing player. He's very tall and long. I wish his arms were a bit longer, but he still can cover plenty of ground once getting past his blocker. He has the potential to be a very good player... but at his age, even if he fulfills his contract, do the Ravens give a 30 year old a 2nd contract? Would they be willing to pay what Hunt would expect given his performance... and if they don't, then that opens up another hole to fill sooner than you'd hope given his draft position.

3. I don't think he falls that far personally, but given his character concerns, it's possible. If he does fall that far, I wouldn't be against selecting him. He's a very talented corner option. He'd definitely be a candidate for BPA.

4. Yeah... no. Johnson is a very athletic option at ILB... but his instincts are average and he is pretty poor in coverage. He's as disappointing as they come. And this after receiving pro level coaching at Alabama.

5. Armstead... meh... he's not ideal size/length and he comes from a small school. I'm not confident in his ability to keep Oher at RT... so basically, he's not worth much to us. We need a player talented enough at LT to keep Oher there.

6. We already have plenty of depth along the OL. Ozzie also said he felt we had 8-9 guys that they felt could be starters along the OL. And so double dipping with that bunch, I think isn't the best idea.

7. Gholston is athletic, but lacks instincts. I doubt he falls to the late 5th simply because of his athleticism, but this late, I wouldn't mind taking a gamble on him.

8. Nickell Robey is a kid that I'm not very familiar with. I do remember hearing his name call quite often when watching tape of McDonald.

9. Ray Ray Armstrong. He hasn't played football in a year... I'll pass.

10. Not familiar with this cat.

11. I don't like Koch and his average to above average play this season, but he's been good enough for us for such awhile that I think we should allow him to play out his contract... as long as he doesn't decline any further. So this said, I wouldn't want Brad Wing, he has about a 0.5% chance of winning the job from Koch.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

instead of Rambo in the 3rd give us A.J. Klein imagine Teo and Klein as our ILB Cool (there could better value at safety maybe in the 4th round)
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark ops wrote:
instead of Rambo in the 3rd give us A.J. Klein imagine Teo and Klein as our ILB Cool (there could better value at safety maybe in the 4th round)

What in the 'continuum transfunctioner' are you talking about... such a suggestion surely couldn't be possible... it'd destroy the universe as we know it... I mean... wha- Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A duo of Ellerbe and Brown gets me more excited.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BareYourTeeth wrote:
A duo of Ellerbe and Brown gets me more excited.

What gameshark code do you use to get that... Not saying it doesn't exist, but I need proof. Razz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited the mock (basically redid it). What do you guys think. The offseason moves are the same.

1. Kevin Minter, LB
2. Margus Hunt, DE
3. AJ Klein, LB
4. DJ Swearinger, S
4. Terron Armstead, OT
5. Nick Kasa, TE
5. William Gholston, DE
6. Nickell Robey, CB
6. Montori Hughes, DT
6. Joe Kruger, DE
7. Jon Major, LB
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayvens4sb wrote:
I edited the mock (basically redid it). What do you guys think. The offseason moves are the same.

1. Kevin Minter, LB
2. Margus Hunt, DE
3. AJ Klein, LB
4. DJ Swearinger, S
4. Terron Armstead, OT
5. Nick Kasa, TE
5. William Gholston, DE
6. Nickell Robey, CB
6. Montori Hughes, DT
6. Joe Kruger, DE
7. Jon Major, LB

I like that mock more but it's still a bit heavy at DE for my tastes. I just don't see all of those guys being able to get on the field.

With Reed coming back I Usually don't like the Ravens taking a safety that high but the 4th round isn't bad especially for a guy like Swearinger. I have concerns about his range for a center fielder but he's a good value there.

In my opinion it's really doubtful that Swearinger, Gholston, and Hughes are available at those spots. I think they all go significantly higher. It would be nice to to get them there though.
rayvens4sb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
rayvens4sb wrote:

1. Kevin Minter, LB
2. Margus Hunt, DE
3. AJ Klein, LB
4. DJ Swearinger, S
4. Terron Armstead, OT
5. Nick Kasa, TE
5. William Gholston, DE
6. Nickell Robey, CB
6. Montori Hughes, DT
6. Joe Kruger, DE
7. Jon Major, LB

I like that mock more but it's still a bit heavy at DE for my tastes. I just don't see all of those guys being able to get on the field.

With Reed coming back I Usually don't like the Ravens taking a safety that high but the 4th round isn't bad especially for a guy like Swearinger. I have concerns about his range for a center fielder but he's a good value there.

In my opinion it's really doubtful that Swearinger, Gholston, and Hughes are available at those spots. I think they all go significantly higher. It would be nice to to get them there though.

What position would you say we need more depth at then? And also, we lack a lot of depth at safety right now, so I don't see why spending a fourth round pick would be so bad. Finally, what do you use to determine the estimated round a player will go in, since its a little hard to do that solely on game tape. I used a bunch of mocks from the mock drafts forum and nfldraftscout. As always, thanks for the response.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayvens4sb wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
rayvens4sb wrote:

1. Kevin Minter, LB
2. Margus Hunt, DE
3. AJ Klein, LB
4. DJ Swearinger, S
4. Terron Armstead, OT
5. Nick Kasa, TE
5. William Gholston, DE
6. Nickell Robey, CB
6. Montori Hughes, DT
6. Joe Kruger, DE
7. Jon Major, LB

What position would you say we need more depth at then? And also, we lack a lot of depth at safety right now, so I don't see why spending a fourth round pick would be so bad. Finally, what do you use to determine the estimated round a player will go in, since its a little hard to do that solely on game tape. I used a bunch of mocks from the mock drafts forum and nfldraftscout. As always, thanks for the response.

Pass-rusher, interior OL, and maybe CB is where I'd go instead of investing three picks on DEs (and they're all strictly DEs). One or maybe two is alright but like I said before there's just too many players on the team and some of them would never see the field unless Baltimore was hit with a ton of injuries at that specific position.

I don't think there's a lack of depth at safety at all. A quality starter/replacement for Reed if he retires or signs somewhere else is a big need but other than that it I think they're set. I would be willing to bet money that Ihedigbo and/or Considine can and will be brought back on veteran's minimum contracts too just so they have some experienced depth. Thompson, Brown, and Cook are good for young developmental guys/special teams players.

For determining player value I usually go off of rankings from guys that have been proven to be fairly accurate year in and year out. NFLDRAFTSCOUT and the mock draft forum aren't what I would consider as reliable. The Huddle Report runs a yearly competition for guys to project their top 100 and scores mocks drafts submitted for their competition too. I think that's a fairly good resource to use for things like this. Mostly I go off of Scott Wright's rankings for the majority and Buy Scouting for the smaller school prospects.

Obviously it's still kind of early at this point but for the guys I mentioned in my previous post Scott Wright has Swearinger ranked at 137 right now, Gholston at 101, and Buy Scouting has Hughes as a 2nd-3rd round pick. He has Swearinger lower than a lot of the other sites I've looked at but I can kind of see why. Like I said before though I think it would still be a pretty good value for him at the end of the 4th round.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: