Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

SoCalNiner's Dream 2013 Off-Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
I don't know what Soap's play count was compared to Raymac or Justin, but I'll bet it was much lower. I'd prefer to see us give the spottor RJF who I think can do a credible job and use our first on a DE which is a much more important position for us and where Justin's departure or injury would really hurt us.

According to Pro Football Focus, Sopoaga played 31 percent of the defensive snaps... and I agree. I really don't see Hankins drawing extra OL any more than RJF would.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Hankins pick. Not getting my hopes up we can get him though.

Sig credit goes to IDOG_det
SoS wrote:
Pete is just an arrogant wanna-be Jim Harbaugh but he's just not as smart.
Smile
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
I don't know what Soap's play count was compared to Raymac or Justin, but I'll bet it was much lower. I'd prefer to see us give the spottor RJF who I think can do a credible job and use our first on a DE which is a much more important position for us and where Justin's departure or injury would really hurt us.

According to Pro Football Focus, Sopoaga played 31 percent of the defensive snaps... and I agree. I really don't see Hankins drawing extra OL any more than RJF would.

How did RJF look when he did come in as the NT? I didn't hear anything bad about him so no news is good news?
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

How did RJF look when he did come in as the NT? I didn't hear anything bad about him so no news is good news?

He was solid.. not perfect every snap, but neither was Sopo. RJF saw less time at NT later in the year when we were resting Justin.. and especially when Justin was hurt. RJF plays nasty and has natural strength and leverage... stout lower half. When he came out, he was 295 lbs... then bulked up the first couple years to 310... I suspect we asked him to drop back down, so that he could be useful at both DE/NT spots. So now, I'd like him to get beefed back up and focus on being that 30-ish % base NT.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

He was solid.. not perfect every snap, but neither was Sopo. RJF saw less time at NT later in the year when we were resting Justin.. and especially when Justin was hurt. RJF plays nasty and has natural strength and leverage... stout lower half. When he came out, he was 295 lbs... then bulked up the first couple years to 310... I suspect we asked him to drop back down, so that he could be useful at both DE/NT spots. So now, I'd like him to get beefed back up and focus on being that 30-ish % base NT.

After hearing that, I would rather resign him and draft a NT in the mid to later rounds. I notice that we were not able get a lot of tackles for losses compared to last year. I know some of that could be blamed on missed tackles but the point of attack this year just didn't see as good as last year. Like you said, I do believe he'll do a solid job if he bulks back up around 310.

Edit: I trust the staff that they will make the decision they feel is best for the team and if that is to let soap walk and extend RJF then I wouldn't mind. We did the same with Franklin a few years back so it wouldn't surprise me.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:

After hearing that, I would rather resign him and draft a NT in the mid to later rounds. I notice that we were not able get a lot of tackles for losses compared to last year. I know some of that could be blamed on missed tackles but the point of attack this year just didn't see as good as last year. Like you said, I do believe he'll do a solid job if he bulks back up around 310.

I think some of this falls on our ILBs... not that they are any less special... but because it seemed we flirted with using them deeper in coverage more so this year... further back from the LOS, and doing more read and react vs charging into action on their assignments.

Then, there's Aldon's natural hesitation as he must now recognize plays before simply attacking... and G'bless Brooks, but he's far better at mindless rushing than in play recognition.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Love the coaching addition. Like the signings (but go ahead and take your wildest guess at FA signings - would love to see what you see us adding there). Like your choice for guys you let go. Pretty much like the draft ... except I really don't want us to "waste" our first pick on Hankins. In the first place I watch a lot of Big 10 ball and while I think he's good I rarely saw him dominate a game. My other reason will be controversial ... I just don't value a NT that highly. Before you all jump on that you have to remember that we play a true 3-4 probably only half the time. I don't know what Soap's play count was compared to Raymac or Justin, but I'll bet it was much lower. I'd prefer to see us give the spottor RJF who I think can do a credible job and use our first on a DE which is a much more important position for us and where Justin's departure or injury would really hurt us.

Thanks for the feedback. Which DT/DE do you like to replace Sop?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I normally don't do a ton of mocks, but I think I'll end up doing a couple more. It's pretty fun with 14 picks. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

I remember PFF or outsiders (one of those) having him rated as the worst NT this year. I'm not sure if it's skewed because he's played 30% of the snaps, but the NT position is definitely something I feel we can upgrade. It is the 2nd more important defensive position next to OLB. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FG21_PW52 wrote:
If Lattimore falls that far, awesome. If we can Matheiu that late, awesome. I pretty much like every pick. nice job Cool

I've been going off articles/rumors, which is not much to go by, that there's a high chance that he goes un-drafted.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:
If Lattimore falls that far, awesome. If we can Matheiu that late, awesome. I pretty much like every pick. nice job Cool

I've been going off articles/rumors, which is not much to go by, that there's a high chance that he goes un-drafted.

Getting those two so low I think would be a lot like our getting Boone when we did. I wouldn't care if Lattimore sat out a whole year to get back into perfect health, and maybe our staff could straighten our Matheiu.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
Love the coaching addition. Like the signings (but go ahead and take your wildest guess at FA signings - would love to see what you see us adding there). Like your choice for guys you let go. Pretty much like the draft ... except I really don't want us to "waste" our first pick on Hankins. In the first place I watch a lot of Big 10 ball and while I think he's good I rarely saw him dominate a game. My other reason will be controversial ... I just don't value a NT that highly. Before you all jump on that you have to remember that we play a true 3-4 probably only half the time. I don't know what Soap's play count was compared to Raymac or Justin, but I'll bet it was much lower. I'd prefer to see us give the spottor RJF who I think can do a credible job and use our first on a DE which is a much more important position for us and where Justin's departure or injury would really hurt us.

RJF can hold down the position, but we'd definitely need a solid guy to groom. Either of the Williams guys (Brandon or Sylvester) would be able spell RJ and replace him in a year or two. Hopefully one of those would be around in the third. A longer shot, but a guy I've seen play a few times and liked is Jordan Hill. He's too small now, but so is RJF until he beefs back up. I think Hill can safely add 10 pounds and be solid in the middle. There's just always seemed to be making his presence on the field felt whenever I've seen him play.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:

Getting those two so low I think would be a lot like our getting Boone when we did. I wouldn't care if Lattimore sat out a whole year to get back into perfect health, and maybe our staff could straighten our Matheiu.

One unnamed GM said that Lattimore would most certainly need to sit out a year if he wants a bright future. Perhaps that's why he's getting an undrated grade from "experts"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

RJF can hold down the position, but we'd definitely need a solid guy to groom. Either of the Williams guys (Brandon or Sylvester) would be able spell RJ and replace him in a year or two. Hopefully one of those would be around in the third. A longer shot, but a guy I've seen play a few times and liked is Jordan Hill. He's too small now, but so is RJF until he beefs back up. I think Hill can safely add 10 pounds and be solid in the middle. There's just always seemed to be making his presence on the field felt whenever I've seen him play.

Sylvester is a guy I think we'd look at. I think it was oldie who said that he'd be like another RJF for us, and I think it's pretty accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also am not too big on Hankins...I cant remember the last DT specifically NT picked in the early rounds that contributed well and early. I think we have a solid guy with RJF if we resign him. But If our talent evaluators think Hankins is a future stud I'd be all behind it.

Love the Patterson pick but I doubt he'll be there. some mocks have him going top 10!

Ive heard good things about Wilson at CB so i'm good with that one

Goldson is a solid pick too but I think he'll be there with our 4th rounders

Kelce is someone I have no attractions to, I like Toilolo or even UCLA TE a little more.

For Kickers I dont want to nitpick but I really like Sturgis alot more than Hopkins. 8 of 9 from 40+ is big time, but I dont wanna argue over kickers thats just weird...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: