Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mark Sanchez
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrankJets

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Mark Sanchez Reply with quote

He needs to learn from Vick and restructure his deal. If he didnt earn it, he shouldnt take that kind of money from us. I hope we can restructure for a 1 year 10 million dollar contract. That would be nice.
NY_Jets87

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mark Sanchez Reply with quote

FrankJets wrote:
He needs to learn from Vick and restructure his deal. If he didnt earn it, he shouldnt take that kind of money from us. I hope we can restructure for a 1 year 10 million dollar contract. That would be nice.

Why? If...big if mind you. But if he plays well then what? If he restructures it will save us money now but cost us later. Him restructuring means we aren't rebuilding bust trying to retool btw.

Mack on the Sig
jetskid007

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big difference is that Vick had incentive to renegotiate because Philadelphia could have cut him and he would be losing a lot of money (somewhere around $9-10 million). His entire salary was not guaranteed.

On the other hand, Sanchez's entire base salary for 2013 is guaranteed. On top of that, he's only making $8.75 million in cash, as the big driver for his large cap figure is the $4.1 million in prorated money. Next year that prorated money drops to $1.6 million from 2014-2016.

The only way I can see the Jets being able to renegotiate Sanchez's contract is by giving him another signing bonus. Your losing money in future years, but you can save some money this year. If you convert something like $3 million into a signing bonus, you'd save $3 million this year but add $3 million in future dead money. If you cut him next year, you'd only save $5.3 million instead of the scheduled $8.3 million, and the dead money increases from $4.8 to $7.8. I think the Jets have enough flexibility going forward to do this, but I'm not sure it's setting a great example.

Last edited by jetskid007 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Davey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanchez has all the leverage, really. Unless he really feels a change of scenery is good for him and there are real assurances that he is going to get a good shot elsewhere pending a restructure that makes him more movable, than any restructure would be coming from the kindness of his heart. I wouldn't count on that.
RDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restructuring a contract is out of the question. The best thing we can hope for is a pay cut at this point which i have a feeling Sanchez will do but the amount probably wont be to big.
jetskid007

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDawg10 wrote:
Restructuring a contract is out of the question. The best thing we can hope for is a pay cut at this point which i have a feeling Sanchez will do but the amount probably wont be to big.

I doubt it. As much as many would respect him for it, there's no reason to give back money that's already guaranteed. If Sanchez's salary was $7 million guaranteed and $1.25 million not-guaranteed, I could see him taking the paycut or converting some into an incentive, but not if he's already been guaranteed it.

As stated before, the only way to gain cap relief from him is by offering him a signing bonus. It's not such a bad idea because he's going to get the money regardless (it's guaranteed), but the bigger issue is whether we want to continue pushing money into future years. It's what got us here in the first place. However, it may be necessary if we want flexibility this offseason.

Here's an example:

Quote:
Say the Jets were to convert $4 million of Mark's 2013 salary into a signing bonus, we would save $3 million this season. In order to lessen the cap hit in 2014, the Jets could declare Sanchez a post-June 1st cut (2 players per team are allowed to be considered even if they're cut before June 1st) in order to split the dead money up.

So, technically speaking, the Jets dead money total for next offseason would be $2.6 million, saving the Jets a total of $10.5 million in 2014 if they were to designate Sanchez a post-June 1st cut. The remaining dead money ($5.2 million) wouldn't be accounted for until 2015. By then, the Jets should be comfortably under the cap and could likely afford such a move.
teamorange

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, I would love to see some of you take a pay cut at your job.

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

barnaby8787

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i'm Idzik, I give him a ultimatum. Either re-structure and compete for the starting job or don't restructure and you'll ride the bench all year, and we'll cut you at the end of the year. If Sanchez chooses option 2, he'll never start again in the NFL.
teamorange

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
If i'm Idzik, I give him a ultimatum. Either re-structure and compete for the starting job or don't restructure and you'll ride the bench all year, and we'll cut you at the end of the year. If Sanchez chooses option 2, he'll never start again in the NFL.

And then he calls you on your bluff and you start him anyway because McElroy isn't a CFL quality QB.

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

barnaby8787

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:

And then he calls you on your bluff and you start him anyway because McElroy isn't a CFL quality QB.
Well that's obviously contingent on bringing in legit QB competition.
teamorange

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares about QB competition when the guy you bring in isn't a long term option?

I don't.

Raoul Duke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mark Sanchez Reply with quote

FrankJets wrote:

Let's not forgot that the NFLPA would get the point across to Sanchez that he would be hurting every other player in the league if he gave back guaranteed money.

Even if he wanted to the backlash would ruin him with regard to his own Union.

- Cliff Burton
teamorange

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mark Sanchez Reply with quote

Raoul Duke wrote:
FrankJets wrote:

Let's not forgot that the NFLPA would get the point across to Sanchez that he would be hurting every other player in the league if he gave back guaranteed money.

Great point. People don't realize the strangle hold NFLPA/NBAPA/MLBPA have over their players.

I don't.

ekill08x

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:

Um yeah and neither is Sanchez.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
NY_Jets87

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mark Sanchez Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
Raoul Duke wrote:
FrankJets wrote:

Great point. People don't realize the strangle hold NFLPA/NBAPA/MLBPA have over their players.

Solid point. I think if he restructured it would be for more guaranteed money down the line. This would mean we wouldn't be getting rid of him. It could also be converted into a large bonus up front as incentive. who knows. Like I said if we restructure him we are not rebuilding just retooling.

Mack on the Sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: