Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eagles re-sign Michael Vick to a 1-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
green24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RollEagles is what is right in the world.
AZ_Eaglesfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
babyatemydingo wrote:
Does anyone else see Vick as the natural back up in SF?

He has a similar skill set to Kaepernick and is $5M cheaper than Alex Smith.

Doesn't matter. We don't want Smith and Vick is going to be on the Eagles this year.

Might want to re-read dingo's post again. He's not talking about swapping QB but when/If Smith is let go/traded they would trade for Vick to replace him. Those thinking Vick has no chance of being traded need to look at the contract language closer and read between the lines. Yes it is possible.

Your right that it is possible, but its not going to happen. Chip wants to see what he has in Vick, and he isn't going to trade him.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha Vick in one of the if not biggest animal rights cities-peta strong hold-safehaven in the world.

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
babyatemydingo wrote:
Does anyone else see Vick as the natural back up in SF?

He has a similar skill set to Kaepernick and is $5M cheaper than Alex Smith.

Doesn't matter. We don't want Smith and Vick is going to be on the Eagles this year.

Might want to re-read dingo's post again. He's not talking about swapping QB but when/If Smith is let go/traded they would trade for Vick to replace him. Those thinking Vick has no chance of being traded need to look at the contract language closer and read between the lines. Yes it is possible.

Your right that it is possible, but its not going to happen. Chip wants to see what he has in Vick, and he isn't going to trade him.

If there wasn't a legit chance he could be traded either before the draft or around training camp do to injury (another club) they would not have put a 3.5M dollar incentive for Vick playing week one of the NFL season. Meaning he can be cut or traded at any point until then. Allowing Chip to see exactly what Vick can do in mini camps, OTA's and the Pre-season.

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 11 Gm/ 63 Rec/ 980 Yds/ 9 TD/ 15.5 YPC/
birdman0069

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal belief is there is no way they would just him.
They trade him or he stays. They won't just give him 3.5 million upfront and then kick him to the curb. Our organization isn't wired that way.

Props to Eagles _808 on the sig.
PE, the new poster child for birth control.

Birdman, slowest to 10K
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman0069 wrote:
They trade him or he stays. They won't just give him 3.5 million upfront and then kick him to the curb. Our organization isn't wired that way.

He was getting 3m regardless when they went past the deadline. An extra 500k for a chance to see if he can work out or acquire them a draft pick is nothing. You are correct that I doubt Vick is cut. However the way it was structured to me screams of leverage for trading him if he doesn't impress Kelly before week one. Especially if there is a major injury somewhere else. At no point do I believe Howie wanted to give Vick away free to any team AZ, KC ,Buf, NYJ by cutting him like 90% of the world expected.

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 11 Gm/ 63 Rec/ 980 Yds/ 9 TD/ 15.5 YPC/
Kiltman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
birdman0069 wrote:

He was getting 3m regardless when they went past the deadline. An extra 500k for a chance to see if he can work out or acquire them a draft pick is nothing. You are correct that I doubt Vick is cut. However the way it was structured to me screams of leverage for trading him if he doesn't impress Kelly before week one. Especially if there is a major injury somewhere else. At no point do I believe Howie wanted to give Vick away free to any team AZ, KC ,Buf, NYJ by cutting him like 90% of the world expected.

Agreed Nabbsy...considering what we put into Vick and just the Eagles tendencies it makes sense they would attempt to get value for him if they can.

And thought its generally considered bad practice to trade someone who restructured to stay....the fact that he likely would go to a place to be a starter (probably) would negate that a bit.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
I kind of want to taste it
birdman0069

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as I understand it, Vicks contract is actually 2.8 million higher, against the cap, due to the excelerated bonus of his last contact. It's money Vick received as a signing bonus at the time of his last contract that was due to be applied in future seasons. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Props to Eagles _808 on the sig.
PE, the new poster child for birth control.

Birdman, slowest to 10K
Kiltman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birdman0069 wrote:
So, as I understand it, Vicks contract is actually 2.8 million higher, against the cap, due to the excelerated bonus of his last contact. It's money Vick received as a signing bonus at the time of his last contract that was due to be applied in future seasons. Has anyone heard anything about this?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/16/vicks-cap-number-for-2013-will-be-12-million/
This?

Still think we are going to ship him

RainbowCarebear wrote:
I kind of want to taste it
UKEaglesFan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiltman wrote:
birdman0069 wrote:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/16/vicks-cap-number-for-2013-will-be-12-million/
This?

Still think we are going to ship him

Howie is damn good with moving money about I'll give him that....

I think it depends on two things - what defines that the contract voids.... and if he actually makes the team.

He won't be a backup on that money.

If he makes the team, he costs $12m this year, compared to what would have been nearly $17m.

If he doesn't make the team he's cut or traded before opening day, and I think we take about an $8m cap hit.

In reality, though, we've moved $23m to the cap this season, and it would have got $7m-ish to cut him anyway, $10m-ish if we did it now based on his $3m roster bonus, so we are actually somehow saving money against the cap, money against his total salary, it costs us less to cut him, and we've carried more money over into 2013!
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Super Bowl clause is hilarious.

"Mike, if the Eagles win the Super Bowl you will get a bonus."
"Well, uhh..."
"What's wrong Mike? You don't think you can do it?"
"Uhmm, uhh..."
"Don't believe in your abilities?"
"No, I do... let's do this."

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
Django

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
Ehh our line was bad but it's pretty much proven that Vick is a tough QB to block for.

Only QB to hold the ball longer than 3 seconds last year.
Plus when he moved around the line has no idea which way to block.

Actually Russell Wilson holds the ball longer.
Django

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There’s no doubt in my mind Chip Kelly will run it in Philadelphia now that the Eagles brought Michael Vick back. I have studied Oregon’s offense, and it is evident it was structured on the quarterback’s threat as a runner. To believe otherwise is to not understand the schematic underpinnings of that offense.
The idea that colleges are churning out mobile quarterbacks with strong arms, and that the NFL is now allowing them to stay mobile, misses a subtle distinction. That mobility is the initial mechanism by which the 49ers, Seahawks, Redskins and Panthers structure components of their offense; it’s the means, not the end. The read option is a concept and scheme that exploits the quarterback’s running ability to dictate tactical stress and uncertainty in the defense. It’s a strategically efficient manner by which to create better opportunities in both the running game and the passing game. What few acknowledge is that it can be highly disruptive to the defense even without the quarterback running. Kaepernick did not run the ball once out of the Pistol-read option against Atlanta in the NFC Championship game. Neither did Wilson against the Falcons in the Divisional Playoff. But he did throw for 385 yards, and led the Seahawks to four second-half touchdowns.
The success of Kaepernick, Wilson, Griffin and, to a lesser extent (based on wins), Newton has exaggerated the impact of the read option as the impetus for revolutionary change in the NFL. Look at this year’s group of quarterbacks in the draft. Only one, Florida State’s E.J. Manuel, is capable of running the read option. None of the other top six or seven quarterbacks can do it. But even that overlooks the far more important point: no one will become a great NFL quarterback because of the way they run the read option.
While there’s no question more of Saturday’s offensive concepts have, and will continue to spread throughout Sunday’s game, there remains one prevailing difference. In college football, you can be a great quarterback without being a very good passer. In the NFL, that will never be the case.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/cosell-running-quarterbacks-great-throwing-pocket-still-best-165937022--nfl.html
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Django wrote:
Phire wrote:
Ehh our line was bad but it's pretty much proven that Vick is a tough QB to block for.

Only QB to hold the ball longer than 3 seconds last year.
Plus when he moved around the line has no idea which way to block.

Actually Russell Wilson holds the ball longer.

Link?

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
BBIB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Django wrote:
Quote:
There’s no doubt in my mind Chip Kelly will run it in Philadelphia now that the Eagles brought Michael Vick back. I have studied Oregon’s offense, and it is evident it was structured on the quarterback’s threat as a runner. To believe otherwise is to not understand the schematic underpinnings of that offense.
The idea that colleges are churning out mobile quarterbacks with strong arms, and that the NFL is now allowing them to stay mobile, misses a subtle distinction. That mobility is the initial mechanism by which the 49ers, Seahawks, Redskins and Panthers structure components of their offense; it’s the means, not the end. The read option is a concept and scheme that exploits the quarterback’s running ability to dictate tactical stress and uncertainty in the defense. It’s a strategically efficient manner by which to create better opportunities in both the running game and the passing game. What few acknowledge is that it can be highly disruptive to the defense even without the quarterback running. Kaepernick did not run the ball once out of the Pistol-read option against Atlanta in the NFC Championship game. Neither did Wilson against the Falcons in the Divisional Playoff. But he did throw for 385 yards, and led the Seahawks to four second-half touchdowns.
The success of Kaepernick, Wilson, Griffin and, to a lesser extent (based on wins), Newton has exaggerated the impact of the read option as the impetus for revolutionary change in the NFL. Look at this year’s group of quarterbacks in the draft. Only one, Florida State’s E.J. Manuel, is capable of running the read option. None of the other top six or seven quarterbacks can do it. But even that overlooks the far more important point: no one will become a great NFL quarterback because of the way they run the read option.
While there’s no question more of Saturday’s offensive concepts have, and will continue to spread throughout Sunday’s game, there remains one prevailing difference. In college football, you can be a great quarterback without being a very good passer. In the NFL, that will never be the case.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/cosell-running-quarterbacks-great-throwing-pocket-still-best-165937022--nfl.html

That article misses the point that the read option makes it easier for QBs to be good passers. Those Qbs will see coverages that the average QB won't see on regular passing downs and on playactions because of defenses selling out to stop the zone read option

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 39 of 41

Jump to: