Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you want to steal Flacco for two 1st rd picks?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
DawgX wrote:
LOL. I love how people call Flacco overrated. He's one of the most criticized quarterbacks in the league and people constantly talk about how crappy he is and how he's not a franchise QB. Is he great? No. But he's one of the better QBs in the league and is certainly not overrated.

he isnt in brady manning brees or rodgers realm either.

His stats are very similar to David Garrard's. He will be in the mid 80's in rating. 20 TD 10 Picks per year and 3600 yards. He will be around a 60% completion percentage. He will go deep a lot and hit on 35% of his throws beyond 20 yards. He does fumble a lot, never less than 8 in a season. Takes around 35 sacks per year, but people often question his pocket presense and pre-snap reads.

This is all with the Ravens of course, he may be better or worse on average somewhere else, but i'll call those stats the median.

Would I give up 2 first round draft picks for the right to sign him to a salary that would be what he would get in free agency? I wouldn't. If he became a free agent, absolutely take a shot.

I'd trade my 4th thru 7th round picks for him though Surprised

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
Oh, one more thing.............

There is no chance of this happening though. It's fun to think about and discuss, but FLacco is a Raven this year, in 2014, and beyond.

I think the odds would be lottery style for that front office to allow him to leave.

how is there no chance?

The Ravens are literally in cap hell. If they franchise Flacco they are in even worse cap space and now run the risk of losing 2 more really good LBs in Kruger and another guy I cant remember. the 3/4 is all about the LBs and in little over a year they will have lost 75% of their LB corp. Ozzie and the FO can think since they are coming off of a superbowl victory that they might not need to sign Flacco to a big deal and if he big times them they could just tag him but tagging him will really hurt them so than they can just do a plan franchise tag on him and hope losing two first rd picks would scare a team off but with the Browns and how good Flacco could be in cleveland with him being a big strong arm QB use to playing in cold weather, who will be surround with good weapons, and can be locked up for 5years or so and you get to screw over the Ravens...yeah I think its possible. With the Browns cap space they can give Flacco a really nice poison pill where it would be impossible for the Ravens to resign him because of their cap situation.

To see their is no chance is incorrect...because in reality there is a chance but it just depends on how the Ravens approach Flacco and their salary cap. either way the Browns can have a chance to steal away their franchise QB or steal one of their best defenders if we try to sign him.

Ravens are over the cap already before Flacco even gets any money, so signing him will put them over the cap very bad if they do the exclusive franchise tag. They would prolly do that the next year or two which means in two years Flacco could cost around $44million dolllars and the Ravens truly dont have the luxery to spend that kind of money or would be allowed too. So they just plain franchise tag Joe and allow teams to offer him hopefully someone gives him a cheaper contract and the ravens can match and save some money but the Browns have so much cap is that they can front load that first year so much say like $30million or so in a 5yr $110million contract that the ravens couldnt not even attempt to match that offer and would be stuck at getting the two draft picks...

just think how much that could work out. The Browns sign their frachise QB to a fat front loaded contract so a couple years down the road they will have even more money to spend to put talent around him or around the defense to make the team even better. Even if the Browns can sign him away they cant jack up his contract and force the Ravens to be in cap hall for a couple seasons and we can see them lose good players that they cant pay...

IMO this is a Win/Win/Win situation...Browns can get their franchise QB for the next 5+years, they can screw over the Ravens offensively, or screw over the ravens defensively

at the end of the day no matter what happens, it will be in favor of the Browns

CleBrowns07 wrote:
I say no. If it was either sign him to a ridonkulous contract or give up two 1st rounders, then I'd be less hesitant. But it would require both. Flacco is going to command probably the richest contract of any NFL QB even though he isn't even top 5 at his position.

Ravens aren't going to let him go anyway

I dont think flacco is as overrated as some ppl think...

9-4 in the playoffs. 2-1 against Tom Brady in the playoffs, 1-1 against Peyton manning. 19TDs to 8INTs in the playoff, a playoff QB rating of 86.2, this past playoffs never had a QB rating lower than 106. He doesnt play the prettiest but he gets the results. He would actually be 3-0 against Tom Brady if his WR makes that catch. The guy steps up when the team needs it most and thats the kid of QB the Browns need. Yes it would suck to lose those two first rd picks but to get a franchise QB a top10 and arguable top5 QB in the league for two first rd picks is a freaking steal. We need those first rd picks to build our defense but if we have Flacco on our offense he could help lead this team to a couple shoot outs.

he would instanly make everyone better on the offense and wouldnt rush the development of other players since he will be able to carry the team like he did with the Ravens but could be even better since he will have a better offensive line.

He will want a nice contract but IMO he would be worth that the Browns actually get a legit player specially a QB who is on the verge of entering his prime and just lead his team to the superbowl. Flacco might not be a sure fire top5 QB in the league now but in a couple years he will be and to me that is well worth it in the NFL. He would give the Browns the best QB in the AFC north. Ravens would have to start over, Big Ben is starting to slow down because of those injuries and the Dalton is iffy lol.

We have an aging defense in the steelers ad Ravens. IMO having Flacco alone will help us become favorites over the Ravens and Steelers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather go for Romo or Rivers for much less, but if I didn't have that option I would pay two first for Flacco.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:

CleBrowns07 wrote:
I say no. If it was either sign him to a ridonkulous contract or give up two 1st rounders, then I'd be less hesitant. But it would require both. Flacco is going to command probably the richest contract of any NFL QB even though he isn't even top 5 at his position.

9-4 in the playoffs. 2-1 against Tom Brady in the playoffs, 1-1 against Peyton manning. 19TDs to 8INTs in the playoff, a playoff QB rating of 86.2, this past playoffs never had a QB rating lower than 106. He doesnt play the prettiest but he gets the results. He would actually be 3-0 against Tom Brady if his WR makes that catch. The guy steps up when the team needs it most and thats the kid of QB the Browns need. Yes it would suck to lose those two first rd picks but to get a franchise QB a top10 and arguable top5 QB in the league for two first rd picks is a freaking steal. We need those first rd picks to build our defense but if we have Flacco on our offense he could help lead this team to a couple shoot outs.

he would instanly make everyone better on the offense and wouldnt rush the development of other players since he will be able to carry the team like he did with the Ravens but could be even better since he will have a better offensive line.

He will want a nice contract but IMO he would be worth that the Browns actually get a legit player specially a QB who is on the verge of entering his prime and just lead his team to the superbowl. Flacco might not be a sure fire top5 QB in the league now but in a couple years he will be and to me that is well worth it in the NFL. He would give the Browns the best QB in the AFC north. Ravens would have to start over, Big Ben is starting to slow down because of those injuries and the Dalton is iffy lol.

We have an aging defense in the steelers ad Ravens. IMO having Flacco alone will help us become favorites over the Ravens and Steelers

I didn't call him overrated. I said he isn't top 5, maybe top 10.

Brady
Manning
Manning
Brees
Rodgers
Roethlisberger
Ryan
Kaep

maybe even Newton, Wilson, RG3. These are guys I'd prefer of Flacco. Top 5... no way Mikey.

You act like Baltimore was some terrible team that magically got revived with Flacco. That team has playmakers all over the place. And I know this is going to be nitpicky, but let's not forget that Flacco was a blown cover away from watching the rest of the playoffs from home. Now that he won, everyone is on his jock. I just don't buy that he is truly elite.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
Oh, one more thing.............

There is no chance of this happening though. It's fun to think about and discuss, but FLacco is a Raven this year, in 2014, and beyond.

I think the odds would be lottery style for that front office to allow him to leave.

how is there no chance?

The Ravens are literally in cap hell. If they franchise Flacco they are in even worse cap space and now run the risk of losing 2 more really good LBs in Kruger and another guy I cant remember. the 3/4 is all about the LBs and in little over a year they will have lost 75% of their LB corp. Ozzie and the FO can think since they are coming off of a superbowl victory that they might not need to sign Flacco to a big deal and if he big times them they could just tag him but tagging him will really hurt them so than they can just do a plan franchise tag on him and hope losing two first rd picks would scare a team off but with the Browns and how good Flacco could be in cleveland with him being a big strong arm QB use to playing in cold weather, who will be surround with good weapons, and can be locked up for 5years or so and you get to screw over the Ravens...yeah I think its possible. With the Browns cap space they can give Flacco a really nice poison pill where it would be impossible for the Ravens to resign him because of their cap situation.

To see their is no chance is incorrect...because in reality there is a chance but it just depends on how the Ravens approach Flacco and their salary cap. either way the Browns can have a chance to steal away their franchise QB or steal one of their best defenders if we try to sign him.

Ravens are over the cap already before Flacco even gets any money, so signing him will put them over the cap very bad if they do the exclusive franchise tag. They would prolly do that the next year or two which means in two years Flacco could cost around $44million dolllars and the Ravens truly dont have the luxery to spend that kind of money or would be allowed too. So they just plain franchise tag Joe and allow teams to offer him hopefully someone gives him a cheaper contract and the ravens can match and save some money but the Browns have so much cap is that they can front load that first year so much say like $30million or so in a 5yr $110million contract that the ravens couldnt not even attempt to match that offer and would be stuck at getting the two draft picks...

just think how much that could work out. The Browns sign their frachise QB to a fat front loaded contract so a couple years down the road they will have even more money to spend to put talent around him or around the defense to make the team even better. Even if the Browns can sign him away they cant jack up his contract and force the Ravens to be in cap hall for a couple seasons and we can see them lose good players that they cant pay...

IMO this is a Win/Win/Win situation...Browns can get their franchise QB for the next 5+years, they can screw over the Ravens offensively, or screw over the ravens defensively

at the end of the day no matter what happens, it will be in favor of the Browns

CleBrowns07 wrote:

I will look past the hard to read run-on sentences (sorry, but it was very annoying) and try to sum this up quick and easy.

Ozzie Newsome is not an idiot. He knows how important Flacco is to the team, which is the reason why Flacco has all kinds of leverage in the first place.

Ozzie knows that if they lose Flacco, any picks or salary cap relief won't make up for his loss unless they get a top 10 QB, which will be VERY unlikely for a while until one becomes available.

If the Ravens don't sign Flacco or don't put the exclcusive tag on him then sure, the Browns could EASILY get him.

Thing is, it won't get to that point. That's the super improbable part of it.

I need to check to see if Vegas has odds on this. I would bet my life savings FLacco stays a Raven.

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
buno67

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:

Ozzie Newsome is not an idiot. He knows how important Flacco is to the team, which is the reason why Flacco has all kinds of leverage in the first place.

Ozzie knows that if they lose Flacco, any picks or salary cap relief won't make up for his loss unless they get a top 10 QB, which will be VERY unlikely for a while until one becomes available.

Ozzie can also get full of himself and his ability of finding great talent. He could always think that if they lose Flacco for two first rd picks that he could replace him with another young QB from the draft

If the Ravens don't sign Flacco or don't put the exclcusive tag on him then sure, the Browns could EASILY get him.

I need to check to see if Vegas has odds on this. I would bet my life savings FLacco stays a Raven.

Im not saying he is going to leave the Ravens but there chance is there. Hell if the Ravens do keep them than it means they will let go of Bolden because he is making 8mil a year and or they will fail to resign Ellerbe and Kruger. So basically they will lose both there ILB and a OLB in one offseason. They could replace Kruger with Upshaw if he keeps developing but its going to be hard to replace your two ILBs in one off season in the 3/4. You hear the posters on here complaining our the ILBs we have and we know good 3/4 ILBs dont grow on trees.

Ravens have to ask themselvee, Do you want to replace Flacco and spend a buttload of money on him and possibly get two first rd picks or let two really good young LBs that are important to their defense get away from them and possibly lose their 2nd best WR in Boldin.

I Feel like some of you who think this idea is too crazy to happen. It realistically could happen im not saying the odds are great but they are there.

Even if Flacco does resign the Ravens will be royally screwed at other postions on their roster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

Weeden ain't the real deal but we have enough building to do until the real deal comes along, and we have the picks to get him.
CleBrowns07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for gits and shiggles, how many FA's have left Baltimore and became successful elsewhere? I think Ozzie understands that finding a franchise QB is not easy. He won't let his leave.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
No.

Weeden ain't the real deal but we have enough building to do until the real deal comes along, and we have the picks to get him.

are you saying Flacco isnt the real deal? He is easily a top10 QB and can be argued as a top5...

Getting Flacco can get us a QB who can be an impact player immediately!!!

Weeden is going to be at least a 2year project. You want to wait a couple more years to fine a QB who could take another year or two to develop, and etc.

Getting Flacco can give the Browns a legit topQB for the next 5-8years at least. also allows them to draft a QB and allow him to be groomed so when Flacco doesnt start falling off, there wont be much of a drop off

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
duke2056 wrote:

Ozzie can also get full of himself and his ability of finding great talent. He could always think that if they lose Flacco for two first rd picks that he could replace him with another young QB from the draft

Im not saying he is going to leave the Ravens but there chance is there. Hell if the Ravens do keep them than it means they will let go of Bolden because he is making 8mil a year and or they will fail to resign Ellerbe and Kruger. So basically they will lose both there ILB and a OLB in one offseason. They could replace Kruger with Upshaw if he keeps developing but its going to be hard to replace your two ILBs in one off season in the 3/4. You hear the posters on here complaining our the ILBs we have and we know good 3/4 ILBs dont grow on trees.

Ravens have to ask themselvee, Do you want to replace Flacco and spend a buttload of money on him and possibly get two first rd picks or let two really good young LBs that are important to their defense get away from them and possibly lose their 2nd best WR in Boldin.

I Feel like some of you who think this idea is too crazy to happen. It realistically could happen im not saying the odds are great but they are there.

Even if Flacco does resign the Ravens will be royally screwed at other postions on their roster

I am not sure how much more clearly I can say this.

Losing Flacco would hurt them MORE than losing those guys you mentioned.

Hmmm, try and replace your franchise super bowl MVP QB who wins wins wins..........or replace a couple defenders and a 30+ year old WR.

As I was saying Ozzie not an idiot. If he was "full of himself" and thought he could replace Flacco in this draft, that would make him a idiot. I just said, he ISN'T an idiot.

But as you said, there is a chance. There is also a chance I win the super lotto. IMO, both odds are pretty close to each other.

buno67

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
buno67 wrote:
duke2056 wrote:

Hmmm, try and replace your franchise super bowl MVP QB who wins wins wins..........or replace a couple defenders and a 30+ year old WR.

As I was saying Ozzie not an idiot. If he was "full of himself" and thought he could replace Flacco in this draft, that would make him a idiot. I just said, he ISN'T an idiot.

But as you said, there is a chance. There is also a chance I win the super lotto. IMO, both odds are pretty close to each other.

The Browns still showing interest in the Ravens will still kill them...im just saying with the option there the Browns need to go after him. Ravens are in cap hell. Flacco wants a big contract and the Ravens are unwilling to give it to him.

Ravens offered him a new contract last july worth around $16million a year...now he is coming off a superbowl MVP year...he is going to want big money.

There are two kinds of franchise tags. The one year franchise tag is worth $14.6million. Ravens do that and they will [inappropriate/removed] off their franchise QB behold belief. He knows he is worth more then that. If they do place that one year franchise tag on him it also means other teams are allowed to offer him other contracts and the Browns could steal him with a contract loaded with a poison pill. If the Ravens do a exclusive franchise tag on him meaning he is frozen with the Ravens and will forsure be with the Ravens next year would cost them around $20-22millions. Do you think the Ravens are going to pay him $20-22million for a single season?

If they do the exclusive tag they will lose Paul Kruger, one of the main reasons the Ravens won the superbowl beside Flacco and Bolden. They would most likely lose Cary Williams one of their better DBs. They would most likely lose Dannell Ellerbe. LB was a weakness before Ray announced he was retiring and it has the ability to get even thinner. They most likely wont be able to resign Ed Reed so he walks away. If they want to sign Flacco and be able to afford to resgin those other players they would need to talk to Ray Rice, Bolden, and Suggs and have them re-work their contracts to try and work free some more money.

Its just one sticky situation for the Ravens? do you drastically over pay for Flacco (exclusive tag him for 20-22million a year, because if they dont they will lose him) or you lose key members to you football team and than you [inappropriate/removed] off other key players of the team (rice, suggs, bolden) to rework their contracts maybe skim some money of their contracts so they can pay Flacco more money, which could upset them and ruin some chemistry.

im just saying Flacco is going to be the down fall of the Ravens...

like you keep saying is Ozzie is a smart man...do you not think he might like the idea of being able to keep a lot more players and use the two picks gain from Flacco to rebuild part of the team instead of giving Flacco 20milliong and killing the potential of the defense.

a lot of ppl are saying Flacco is overrated on here, maybe Ozzie will see that and just one year franchise tag him and hope no team offers him a crazy contract like the Browns could.

Also the contract they could offer wouldnt ruin the browns like it could ruin the Ravens. The Browns contract can be so front loaded that years down the road the Browns wont be handcuffed by it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure i go this route look below.
free agents michael johnson linebacker cincinnati
2krueger linebacker baltimore.
3 draft milliner
4 the wr from usc

The biggest argument for the flacco trade take away the draft from lombardi and banner.
mistakebytehlak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep. no doubt.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
buno67 wrote:
duke2056 wrote:

The Browns still showing interest in the Ravens will still kill them...im just saying with the option there the Browns need to go after him. Ravens are in cap hell. Flacco wants a big contract and the Ravens are unwilling to give it to him.

Ravens offered him a new contract last july worth around $16million a year...now he is coming off a superbowl MVP year...he is going to want big money.

There are two kinds of franchise tags. The one year franchise tag is worth $14.6million. Ravens do that and they will [inappropriate/removed] off their franchise QB behold belief. He knows he is worth more then that. If they do place that one year franchise tag on him it also means other teams are allowed to offer him other contracts and the Browns could steal him with a contract loaded with a poison pill. If the Ravens do a exclusive franchise tag on him meaning he is frozen with the Ravens and will forsure be with the Ravens next year would cost them around $20-22millions. Do you think the Ravens are going to pay him $20-22million for a single season?

If they do the exclusive tag they will lose Paul Kruger, one of the main reasons the Ravens won the superbowl beside Flacco and Bolden. They would most likely lose Cary Williams one of their better DBs. They would most likely lose Dannell Ellerbe. LB was a weakness before Ray announced he was retiring and it has the ability to get even thinner. They most likely wont be able to resign Ed Reed so he walks away. If they want to sign Flacco and be able to afford to resgin those other players they would need to talk to Ray Rice, Bolden, and Suggs and have them re-work their contracts to try and work free some more money.

Its just one sticky situation for the Ravens? do you drastically over pay for Flacco (exclusive tag him for 20-22million a year, because if they dont they will lose him) or you lose key members to you football team and than you [inappropriate/removed] off other key players of the team (rice, suggs, bolden) to rework their contracts maybe skim some money of their contracts so they can pay Flacco more money, which could upset them and ruin some chemistry.

im just saying Flacco is going to be the down fall of the Ravens...

like you keep saying is Ozzie is a smart man...do you not think he might like the idea of being able to keep a lot more players and use the two picks gain from Flacco to rebuild part of the team instead of giving Flacco 20milliong and killing the potential of the defense.

a lot of ppl are saying Flacco is overrated on here, maybe Ozzie will see that and just one year franchise tag him and hope no team offers him a crazy contract like the Browns could.

Also the contract they could offer wouldnt ruin the browns like it could ruin the Ravens. The Browns contract can be so front loaded that years down the road the Browns wont be handcuffed by it

I said I think the Browns should do it if they get the chance.

But, they aren't going to get the chance.

Did you just say Flacco is the downfall of the Ravens???? LOSING him would be the downfall of the Ravens.

Ozzie is a smart man, as we both know. He is smart enough to know that the most difficult thing to do in the NFL is find a top-end QB, and that you can not win without one barring the occasional super lucky season.

duke2056

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But does anyone even know the logistics of this if it were to happen?
If we traded the #6 pick would they get our 2014 and 2015 1sts??

If so, umm, we would HAVE to trade that pick, would be super stupid not to.
Maybe deal it too someone for their 2014 and 2015 1sts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: