Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you want to steal Flacco for two 1st rd picks?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buno67

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Would you want to steal Flacco for two 1st rd picks? Reply with quote

Peter King wrote an article and posted it today talking about the Ravens possibly letting Flacco walk away to the Browns.

The idea behind this is how much money franchise tagging Joe Flacco will cost.

It has been presumed that if the Ravens can't sign Flacco before the March 4 franchise-tagging deadline that they'd exercise the exclusive tag. That would mean committing a $20 million guaranteed salary -- with another $24 million due Flacco in 2014 if Baltimore had to exercise a tag again next year. Two years, $44 million ... significantly more than Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady make now. The regular franchise tag for quarterbacks, meanwhile, is $14.5 million.

The Ravens were $5million over the league $121m cap last friday and that doesnt include a single dime for Flacco

If they Exclusive-rights franchise Flacco, he is frozen to the Ravens, if he is just a franchise payer he can seek offers from other teams and the Ravens have a chance to match him but if the player signs with the other team the Ravens can get two first rd picks

this is where the Browns come in. Ravens would have to make some ppl around, release some ppl, reconstructe some player contracts to try and sign Joe to a long term deal. We all know the Browns as off Friday was $48m under the cap as of Friday. I know some of us want to use that money to resign some other players but If its a chance to steal/Sign the regining SuperBowl MVP QB, Id wait on resigning some of our players.

If the Ravens dont Exclusive-rights franchise Flacco, the Browns can make a play for Flacco. The play they can make is offering Flacco something like a 5year $110M contract. We could structure the contract with a Ravens poison pill. The first year can be made into $35m, that is something the Ravens couldnt match and would have no choice of letting him go to the Browns. The only bad thing is we would have to forfeit our #6 and 2014 first rd pick to the Ravens...

So depending on how the Ravens play with Joe Flacco this offseason, Cleveland could get him for their next two first rd picks...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would do it, I would give up our next two first rd picks for Joe Flacco. To succeed in the NFL you need Joes in your most important position. We will have a Joe at LT, a Joe at DB, and a Joe at QB lol but seriously I would really want Flacco. This offense could be extremely dangerous with him as the QB. Cleveland would have possibly the QB with the best deep ball in the league, playing under a HC and a OC who loves the deep ball, and has one hell of deep ball threat with Gordan and TBen. I think he could really love playing in Cleveland. Gordan could be his Torrey smith, Little could hopefully turn into his Bolden, TRich could be his Ray Rice, he would have a lot better offensive line, and would have better offensive mines in his coaching Staff IMO.

We were willing to give up 3 first rd picks for RGIII, giving up 2 first rd picks for Flacco would be a freaking steal!

Im hoping the Ravens can misplay the Flacco contract situations cause of their cap space

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes absolutely, I'd love to steal a franchise QB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are tossing out two first rounders for a Qb I would rather go a different avenue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:
If we are tossing out two first rounders for a Qb I would rather go a different avenue.

The problem is that there really isn't a different avenue. Unless your talking about next year's draft, in which case there is no guarantee that we would be able to trade up high enough to grab our guy, and even if we could he's still a draft pick, not a proven franchise guy.

Look at the franchise guys right now in the NFL, which ones could be had for two 1st round picks?

Brady
Brees
Rodgers
Manning (P)
Newton
RG3
Luck
Russel Wilson
Matt Ryan
Tony Romo
Roflsberger
Kaepernick

I mean, who on that list are you getting for two 1sts? Maybe Romo, but I don't know if I'd want him with age and choking issues.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flacco is the most over rated player in the NFL. I put him in the same circle as Terry Bradshaw & Troy Aikman. I watched the entire playoffs & yea he put up godly efficient numbers but I was never wow blown away by what I watched.

His regular season stats are that of a bulls eyes nearly middle of the pack every single season give or take a couple slots.

Only the Browns would do something that stupid over paying & over trading assets.

If we are talking about 2 1st & $20m+ we are talking about 4 starting players resources. 2 Via draft & 2 via FA-resign....

There is a very tall 6'6 slightly overrated QB available to us at #6 or even #68 in Mike Glennon...

Not to mention we are 100% out of the Weeden play if this move was made
Productiondawg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be fine with this. He's in the prime of his career, and a great fit for our new offense. Takes the Super Bowl MVP from a division rival. He's big with a bigger arm and surprisingly mobile, knows how to win in our division, the playoffs and the Super Bowl. You can't pay too much for a franchise QB.

Season tickets, section 315, since 06
See you in the Muni with the Tailgate DJs
bulldog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Franchise tag only required one first round pick, not two...
Bucketheadsdad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freakygeniuskid wrote:
roger murdock wrote:

The problem is that there really isn't a different avenue. Unless your talking about next year's draft, in which case there is no guarantee that we would be able to trade up high enough to grab our guy, and even if we could he's still a draft pick, not a proven franchise guy.

Look at the franchise guys right now in the NFL, which ones could be had for two 1st round picks?

Brady
Brees
Rodgers
Manning (P)
Newton
RG3
Luck
Russel Wilson
Matt Ryan
Tony Romo
Roflsberger
Kaepernick

I mean, who on that list are you getting for two 1sts? Maybe Romo, but I don't know if I'd want him with age and choking issues.

I agree with your list of franchise QB's, but I think putting Romo on that list, as you said, is a bit of a stretch.

Personally, I think that Romo should go through this warm-up during every pre-game.

For those of you who think I've just gone off the deep end......that is the "Heimlich Maneuver." Get your minds out of the gutter. Laughing Shocked Laughing

Also, while I'd love to pilfer Flacco from the Ravens, I think it really hamstrings us with regards to filling all of our other holes on both sides of the ball (and special teams too).....of course, since our "re-constitution in 1999, we've not had the luxury of seeing if our franchise QB can help to compensate for problems that have yet to be filled.

This might just be a good problem to have for a change.

"We really liked Chud." So did we Jimmy. You better be right about this one. TANKED STRONG Props to DaBoyle250 for the Sig! TEAM STYLISH
candyman93

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
I thought the Franchise tag only required one first round pick, not two...

I thought it varies on position and price

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be foolish not to look into this. I think the browns should make a play for him in hopes that the Ravens match. If the Ravens match a ridiculous offer from us, then they will be money capped on on the decline for sure.

Skipping over sleeper43 posts since 4/19/09
Bucketheadsdad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

braylonsHands wrote:
It would be foolish not to look into this. I think the browns should make a play for him in hopes that the Ravens match. If the Ravens match a ridiculous offer from us, then they will be money capped on on the decline for sure.

Kind of like they do on "Storage Wars" when they try to jack up the price that someone else is going to pay for a unit, then drop it on them.

Not a bad strategy, as long as it would work out well.

"We really liked Chud." So did we Jimmy. You better be right about this one. TANKED STRONG Props to DaBoyle250 for the Sig! TEAM STYLISH
CanaDawg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct move is to patiently see what Weeden can do under Norv. Next year's draft is supposed to be better for QBs. It is not a "steal" if you are handing 2 first rounders for him.

I knew I would eventually read people talking about what WAS paid as the new standard. It is not. They got fleeced and if RG3's style leads to an abbreviated career, this will set that team back at least 5 years. No one should take that kind of risk. You maximize your odds by hanging onto your high picks. You "win" in the NFL by hitting on mid-round picks, not by overpaying for the latest fad.
candyman93

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it, this is a weak draft so giving up a 1st rounder this year really wouldn't be that bad. Trading it for an established super bowl MVP QB makes it worth it.

If he plays at a high level next year, then next years draft pick would be very low anyways.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<I'm stealing this post from one of my favorite Cats in here......>

No

-That is all

Laughing

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
bosko1616

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noooooo. Flacco is ridiculously overrated and extremely inconsistent. He is constantly be bailed out by his WR and defense. I'll take the 2 first round picks and and invest in our Defense. If I was going to trade two first it would be next year to go after Clowney or Manzeil. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: