Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

48 1/2ers Mock Offseason
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: 48 1/2ers Mock Offseason Reply with quote

Trade Alex Smith, picks 5-24, 5-31, 6-31 to Buffalo for 2014 1st and 3rd.

Resign Dashon Goldson 5yr-34m
Resign Ricky Jean-Francois 4yr- 10m
Sign Jeremy Trueblood vet min
Cuts
Parys Haralson OLB, David Akers K, Dontavia Bogun WR, Jewell Hampton RB, Tony Jerod Eddie DE

Draft
1-31 Kenny Vaccaro FS- He might not be here but I’m predicting Vaccaro slides. He’s the top safety this year and we all saw what kind of liability Whitner can be in coverage. We might move up a couple of spots in the real draft just to get him.

2-29 Cobi Hamilton WR- He’s extremely underrated with potential to be a #1 receiver. At 6’2” 200lbs he has perfect size and plenty of speed. Our receivers were almost a no show this year except for Crabs, we need a second option and with Hamilton we’ll have one.

3-12 Tank Carradine DE- Carradine was once a 1st round pick but after his torn ACL in the middle of the year his stock dropped. At 6’4” 270 he could bulk up a little but good be our replacement for Justin in a couple years.

3-31-Levine Toilolo TE- Our staff recruited Toilolo and they know his potential. We have a need for a #2 TE who is a good receiving option and theres nobody in this entire draft I want more than him. Make it happen Baalke.

4-31-Chris Harper WR- Harper is a gamer and incredibly versatile at 6’1” 230 (looks like 240 to me) could be an Anquan Boldin type receiver.

6-12- Tyrann Mathiue CB- I know a few people on here don’t want a guy like this on our team but I don’t mind us taking a shot at him. He has an incredible motor and nact for the ball. Also he’s one of the best return men in the nation that alone will get him a roster spot.

7-21 Caleb Sturgis K- 84% on the season with 8/9 on 40 yards or more.

7-31- Tanner Hawkinson OT-We lack some serious depth here.

Depth Chart
QB - Colin Kaepernick, Scott Tolzien
RB - Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter vs LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon vs Jewel Hampton
FB - Bruce Miller
TE - Vernon Davis, Levine Toilolo vs Garrett Celek,
WR-Michael Crabtree, Mario Manningham (IR), Cobi Hamilton, Kyle Williams, A.J. Jenkins, Chris Harper
LT- Joe Staley, Tanner Hawkinson
LG- Mike Iupati
OC - Jon Goodwin vs Daniel Kilgore
RG- Alex Boone, Joe Looney
RT- Anthony Davis, Jeremy Trueblood

RE - Justin Smith, Tank Carridine vs Demarcus Dobbs
NT – Ricky Jean-Francois, Ian Williams
LE - Ray McDonald, Will Tukuafu,

WOLB - Aldon Smith, Cam Johnson
WILB - Navarro Bowman, Darius Fleming
SILB - Patrick Willis, Mike Wilhoite
SOLB - Ahmad Brooks

CB - Chris Culliver, Tarell Brown, Carlos Rogers, Perrish Cox vs Tyrann Mathieu

FS – Dashon Goldson, Trenton Robinson
SS - Donte Whitner vs Kenny Vaccaro, C.J. Spillman

LS - Brian Jennings
K – Caleb Sturgis
P - Andy Lee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. I'd have some concerns still on whether Carradine could be that heir apparent to Justin. Concerns over whether our OT depth is sufficient... looks like we would need to slide Boone to OT if someone gets hurt (guess I don't think much of Trueblood). I can live with that. Pretty thin at rush LB.. better hope Cam J can get it together. Maybe just go ahead and trade Whitner now... then let Vacarro and Spillman battle it out to start 2013.

___
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Not bad. I'd have some concerns still on whether Carradine could be that heir apparent to Justin. Concerns over whether our OT depth is sufficient... looks like we would need to slide Boone to OT if someone gets hurt (guess I don't think much of Trueblood). I can live with that. Pretty thin at rush LB.. better hope Cam J can get it together. Maybe just go ahead and trade Whitner now... then let Vacarro and Spillman battle it out to start 2013.

I considered that too especially since this is when he'll be most appealing after being selected to start in the pro-bowl. But he only has one more year left on his deal, i can live with him for another season.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woah dude. this is a little weird. Shocked
we share many of the same crushes it seems!

like everything except hamilton. i know you love him though. just not a fan of his hands. and dont know anything about your guy in the seventh

i really hope we land tank though. the guy is an animal with his heavy hands. i think we could use him as a de and olb just depending on the set.

i like. i like. im a fan. good job. the mocks ive done on mmy phone are very similar

new sig... sorry alex
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
oldman9er wrote:

I considered that too especially since this is when he'll be most appealing after being selected to start in the pro-bowl. But he only has one more year left on his deal, i can live with him for another season.

idk about him being appealing right now. Laughing
dude was just embarrassed in the biggest game of his life and football

new sig... sorry alex
jwalter_81

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't we have like 14 picks? lol
clarkfn2284

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a big fan of this draft.

1, Goldson should get more then 7 per.

2. I guess they let Delanie Walk? er..........

3. I'm really annoyed by the sudden Whitner hate on this forum. He has a bad game and people are ready to off him.

4. Dont like the idea of addressing a DE for depth and eventual replacement in the 3rd, all the while drafting a S in the 1st(which isnt an inherent need right now) and on top of that it's a guy coming off a knee injury. Not a fan.

5. Also DO NOT cut Jewell Hampton. The guy is going to be special. He is so talented. There really is no reason to cut him. Unless you P-squad him, but there is no mention of it. I suggest people take a look at him before just casting him off.

okie dokie!!! He only had 1200 rec yards at 40, but he clearly isnt as good as it appears.
rudyZ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:

3. I'm really annoyed by the sudden Whitner hate on this forum. He has a bad game and people are ready to off him.

4. Dont like the idea of addressing a DE for depth and eventual replacement in the 3rd, all the while drafting a S in the 1st(which isnt an inherent need right now) and on top of that it's a guy coming off a knee injury. Not a fan.

5. Also DO NOT cut Jewell Hampton. The guy is going to be special. He is so talented. There really is no reason to cut him. Unless you P-squad him, but there is no mention of it. I suggest people take a look at him before just casting him off.

I'll try to answer some of these:

1) Maybe 26 year old Dason should have gotten more than 7 mil per... the fact is, at the beginning of next season, Dashon will turn 29. You don't negotiate the same kind of deals at 26 and 29. I could see him signing a 5/35 kind of deal, with a good amount of appropriate fluff. With escalators and unlikely to be reached incentives that will allow chunks of money to be rolled over to the following year's cap. His cap hit might technically be 7 millions for the first 2-3 years, but with rollovers and other fluffs only effectively cost us around 5 millions a year. That would be a win-win, in my opinion.

2) In Delanie's case, it won't be so much about us letting him go as it will be him seeking the big paycheck. From what we can read, there seems to be interest around the league. But that's the media. If the market is cold, I'm sure we could re-sign him to a small deal, even if only for one year.

3) I think what's happening with Whitner is simply the realization that he is not a long term answer. While we've spent the last two years consolidating our defense for years to come, we all want to see this unit remain mostly intact and not subject to frequent overhaul. That is why many are seeking our next young safety to add to the nucleus of the defense, and if we were to find that guy, then Whitner would thus become expendable. I personally would keep him around and let him walk next year, which could net us something like a 5th round compensatory pick, while we would presumably have his successor waiting in the wing.

4) I think the DE issue should be addressed early and unequivocally. Make a splash, trade up to get the guy we want and need. There is very good talent in this class. Datone Jones, Sheldon Richardson... if we're in a position to pick one of those or trade up to get them, we have to pull the trigger.

5) Cutting Hampton would be stupid. He's not expensive. Let him play, at least, before getting rid of him. He has a full offseason on the expanded roster to show his worth. Cutting him at the beginning of the offseason is simply unnecessary.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkfn2284 wrote:

For me, not so much annoyed as perplexed. After all he was voted as a starter in the Pro Bowl. Maybe he's not the best SS in the game, but I still think he's pretty darn good, and far from the biggest problem on this team. I see the need for contract reasons, and for depth to think about adding a S, but with Goldson (asuming we re-sign him) and Whitner, S is pretty far down the list of needs as I see them. If we draft a S and he sits then he doesn't improve the team at all. If we let Whitner go I'd say the odds are much more in favor of that making us worse, not better.

Positions where I think we could improve the team:

WR - other than Crabs the rest of the guys are nothing special. With luck we could get a guy that would play and contribute much more than a new S would.

CB - frankly if I wanted to improve our pass defense it would be by adding another corner. We don't have a true lock down corner, and even if a new guy just became number 2 or 3 he'd still contribute more than a S

DE - I attribute many of the problems with our D that people complain about here to Justin's injury. The gap between him and most of our backup d-linemen is bigger than at any other position on the team. Even if not for the sake of a potential injury, at his age Justin needs to be able to take a few plays off every now and then.

OLB - We are so deep in talent that I think we could afford a specialty pass rusher. Along with Justin's injury came Aldon's. And with those two out our pass rush went from very good to pretty ineffective. We'd all be talking less about safeties and CBs if our pass rush was better.

TE - Walker is a jack of all trades, and great at none of them. And Vernon is still a downfield beast, but still not overly useful short because of his awkwardness in cutting and his bad hands and limited catching radius. A guy who get consistently get open and catch Kap's lasers in just the 5 to 10 yard range would make us a better team.

OT - I'm a little iffy on this. We have nothing at backup right now. So I assume if we had an injury Boone would move over. But that takes a great guard and moves him into a position he has rarely played. Then replaces him with an unknown. Even if the talent level is there we now have 2 changes to our starting o-line. I'd prefer if we could just get a good backup T who could go in and leave Boone at G.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
clarkfn2284 wrote:

I'll try to answer some of these:

1) Maybe 26 year old Dason should have gotten more than 7 mil per... the fact is, at the beginning of next season, Dashon will turn 29. You don't negotiate the same kind of deals at 26 and 29. I could see him signing a 5/35 kind of deal, with a good amount of appropriate fluff. With escalators and unlikely to be reached incentives that will allow chunks of money to be rolled over to the following year's cap. His cap hit might technically be 7 millions for the first 2-3 years, but with rollovers and other fluffs only effectively cost us around 5 millions a year. That would be a win-win, in my opinion.

2) In Delanie's case, it won't be so much about us letting him go as it will be him seeking the big paycheck. From what we can read, there seems to be interest around the league. But that's the media. If the market is cold, I'm sure we could re-sign him to a small deal, even if only for one year.

3) I think what's happening with Whitner is simply the realization that he is not a long term answer. While we've spent the last two years consolidating our defense for years to come, we all want to see this unit remain mostly intact and not subject to frequent overhaul. That is why many are seeking our next young safety to add to the nucleus of the defense, and if we were to find that guy, then Whitner would thus become expendable. I personally would keep him around and let him walk next year, which could net us something like a 5th round compensatory pick, while we would presumably have his successor waiting in the wing.

4) I think the DE issue should be addressed early and unequivocally. Make a splash, trade up to get the guy we want and need. There is very good talent in this class. Datone Jones, Sheldon Richardson... if we're in a position to pick one of those or trade up to get them, we have to pull the trigger.

5) Cutting Hampton would be stupid. He's not expensive. Let him play, at least, before getting rid of him. He has a full offseason on the expanded roster to show his worth. Cutting him at the beginning of the offseason is simply unnecessary.

You answered all clarkfans points like I would...with Jewel I'm only predicting that he gets cut when we go down to the 53 man roster I dont have any particular reason other than I like the guys we have more and I do not feel like we could afford to hold 5 RBs.

Whitner like someone said has been a solid but I'm thinking of the future and I don't expect us to resign him after next year. I see the safety situation as very similar to the DE position in that we lack a future replacement for our current starter. so if we get the opportunity to draft a guy as good as Vaccaro why not when its one of the teams top needs.

I do want to point out that I think Dobbs is a pretty solid backup which nobody talks about which is why I'm comfortable waiting till the 3rd or 2nd to address our DE.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we resign Goldson AND draft a safety in the first round??? d'oh!
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDNiners wrote:

whitner has a year left on his contract Wink

new sig... sorry alex
TDNiners

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:
TDNiners wrote:

And likes it in SF so he won't be going anywhere. Not unless some other team gives him a boat load of cash. Which won't happen. We need a WR, CB or DL in the first round. We have too many safeties as it is. Goldson, Whitner, McBath, Spillman, and Robinson. You really want A.J. to be our #2 WR or Tramaine Brock to be our 5th corner?
rudyZ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDNiners wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
TDNiners wrote:

And likes it in SF so he won't be going anywhere. Not unless some other team gives him a boat load of cash. Which won't happen. We need a WR, CB or DL in the first round. We have too many safeties as it is. Goldson, Whitner, McBath, Spillman, and Robinson. You really want A.J. to be our #2 WR or Tramaine Brock to be our 5th corner?

Whitner will go elsewhere if he's not offered a contract... the NFL isn't like a porn site... there's no automatic renewal at the end of a contract...

Feels like I mentioned too much...

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
TDNiners

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
TDNiners wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
TDNiners wrote:

Whitner will go elsewhere if he's not offered a contract... the NFL isn't like a porn site... there's no automatic renewal at the end of a contract...

Feels like I mentioned too much...

Why would he not be offered a contract? He's still relatively young and was just named to the pro bowl. It's not like he's going to break the bank.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: