Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

percy the patriot?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeybrowner47

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: percy the patriot? Reply with quote

hey guys huge vikings fan here. its starting to look like we might be in the market to trade percy harvin. while i would hate to see him leave, i dont think he wants to be here anymore... something about wanting an actual nfl caliber starting quarterback blah blah. seriously though i cant imagine a better team for him to go to, he would be unbelievable for you guys. what do you think the patriots would offer us ( keep in mind hes only 24)
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd ship our first round pick for him straight up. Special player.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
renndawg37

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Welker's role? My god he would kill it. Would add another dimension down the field as well.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No interest in the Pats trading for Harvin. Given the Pats cap situation and their holes - both in key starting positions and depth spots - trading the team's only high quality pick this year for a WR with injury concerns on the last year of his deal seems crazy to me.

He's a good player, but I don't see how it can fit in the Pats short or long term plans.
Donut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
No interest in the Pats trading for Harvin. Given the Pats cap situation and their holes - both in key starting positions and depth spots - trading the team's only high quality pick this year for a WR with injury concerns on the last year of his deal seems crazy to me.

He's a good player, but I don't see how it can fit in the Pats short or long term plans.

To me it depends on how much he wants but I'd be fine shipping 2 3rds on draft day for him if we trade down. I think he could be a big contributor for as a SL WR. I cant see anyone trading a first or 2nd for him w/ all the issues he has and how he acted last yr.
Nihc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'd def give up a 2nd and a 3rd for the guy.

2014 Adopt-a-Patriot - Dominique Easley
Tackles: 0 | Sacks: 0 | QB Hits: 0 | TFL: 0 | Fumble Recoveries: 0
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

To me it depends on how much he wants but I'd be fine shipping 2 3rds on draft day for him if we trade down. I think he could be a big contributor for as a SL WR. I cant see anyone trading a first or 2nd for him w/ all the issues he has and how he acted last yr.

I doubt the Vikings would trade him for a pair of 3rd rounders. They'd be better off holding on to him in that situation.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nihc wrote:
Yeah I'd def give up a 2nd and a 3rd for the guy.

And leave the team with 1 draft pick worth anything? With limited cap space and a lot of holes to fill?

Don't see how that makes a lot of sense short or long term.

The thing here is, if you're letting Welker go (presumably a requisite in any Harvin scenario) it's because of cost, maybe with some age factored in there. Harvin's health issues are just as questionable as Welker's possible age decline. So all you're doing is pushing the huge cost for a questionable long-term asset at WR into next year's cap.

So you're in a position next year where you have Harvin up for a huge contract extension and no cheap labor (i.e. 2nd or 3rd round picks) to provide depth in places where you could cut someone to free up space for Harvin's deal.

If he were under contract for a few more years or if the team had more draft picks (or less holes), it would be a great idea to pick him up. But that's not the state of the franchise in February 2013.
Naq

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Welker and/or Llyod aren't back I'll seriously consider giving up a 1st for him.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not getting a first. Reportedly the asking price right now is a second plus a fourth, which makes me think they won't even get that. I don't know if I'd give up the second straight up considering the contract he'll want (reportedly over $10M a year).

Also, from what I've been able to gather over the last few months, Harvin will not play next season without a new contract, meaning the "one year rental" concerns are not valid but the cap hit and long-term durability concerns are very real.

If, hypothetically, the Pats were to trade for Harvin, then they'd most likely have to let Welker, Talib, and Vollmer all leave, which would put a lot of pressure on them to get a first round CB.
Donut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Donut wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

I doubt the Vikings would trade him for a pair of 3rd rounders. They'd be better off holding on to him in that situation.

From what I've read I dont know if they'd want him around. If everything coming out is accurate I think they'd be best serve dealing him.
Sciz wrote:
They're not getting a first. Reportedly the asking price right now is a second plus a fourth, which makes me think they won't even get that. I don't know if I'd give up the second straight up considering the contract he'll want (reportedly over $10M a year).

I can't see how he thinks he'll get that. I can see him saying that's what he wants to try and force his way out of Minn. But I can't see him thinking he'll get that.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Harvin is unwilling to play 2013 without a new deal, trading 2013 draft picks for him is a terrible idea.

The allure of letting Welker go is that you can replace that production at a lower cost - both in 2013 and for 2-3 years, thus allowing the team to invest more either in a #3 WR, retaining Vollmer or securing a quality CB long-term or someplace else.

If you're trading low-cost, cost-controlled assets (draft picks) for a guy who is going to cost similar to Welker in 2013, it makes no sense and would seem to be contrary to everything we've seen from Belichick.
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want this to happen. Welker is off the books, I'd probably let Vollmer walk if he gets too much money on the open market (which I see happening anyways). Would give up a 2nd rounder in a heartbeat to see him in red white and blue.

Deadpulse on the sig
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:

Also, from what I've been able to gather over the last few months, Harvin will not play next season without a new contract, meaning the "one year rental" concerns are not valid but the cap hit and long-term durability concerns are very real.

If, hypothetically, the Pats were to trade for Harvin, then they'd most likely have to let Welker, Talib, and Vollmer all leave, which would put a lot of pressure on them to get a first round CB.

Bingo. The combo of the contract aspect AND the depletion of resources combined make this unworkable/unattractive to me.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
If Harvin is unwilling to play 2013 without a new deal, trading 2013 draft picks for him is a terrible idea.

The allure of letting Welker go is that you can replace that production at a lower cost - both in 2013 and for 2-3 years, thus allowing the team to invest more either in a #3 WR, retaining Vollmer or securing a quality CB long-term or someplace else.

If you're trading low-cost, cost-controlled assets (draft picks) for a guy who is going to cost similar to Welker in 2013, it makes no sense and would seem to be contrary to everything we've seen from Belichick.

Yep. The whole point is to allocate some of the offensive resources towards the defense, and build a more complete team for the playoffs. Spending all this money on Harvin, Gronk, and Hernandez (not to mention Mankins) who are all offensive players seems foolish, and a recipe for building a team that is flawed as a whole.[/code]

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: