Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Percy Harvin?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devils1854

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^
You said you didnt see how we could find anyone in the draft that would make an impact this year, and I clearly showed 6 players drafted in the second round that made a huge impact on their teams, no matter the position.

I look at it this way. We scored 26.2 points a game last year. If we lose TG, and replace his touches with Quizz, Douglass, and a TE, either rookie or vet, then we really shouldnt miss a beat. I mean, most of this forum beats its chest about Matt being an elite QB, well elite QBs should be able to score a good number of points with 2 top 10 WRs, not matter who he has as a 3rd option. Peyton Manning has Brandon Stokley. Joe Flacco has Ed Dickson/James Jones. Drew Brees has Lance Moore/Darren Sproles. Eli has Martellus Bennett. I mean come on. If Matt cannot carry this offense to 25 points a game with just two elite receivers, and some nice potential players, then he shouldnt be our QB.

If we bring in Percy Harvin, how much better will our offense be? Its not going to shoot up to 30+ points from 26.2. That isnt that realistic. At best, Harvin would keep us at status quo, maybe inch up to 27 points a game.

The defense was 28th last year in sacks with just 29. We also only had 51 tackles for loss. There is room for tons of improvement there. Abe is getting older, and one of these years, he is going to lose it. What then? Biermann isnt going to magicall turn into a 10+ sack guy. Matthews? Massaquoi? Sid? Not even close. Lets not forget that we were also 4th in takeaways last year, and Im not sure if that is sustainable this year, because a little luck always comes from turnovers. If we go down by 4 or 5 turnovers, then does that cause extra losses, since we play very close games week to week? The defense has to be improved. We have to get to the QB more often. We have to stop the run better. We cant just hope that Matt will pull out a last second win, or hope that we can make just one more stop than the other teams defense.

#JDI

Taysom Hill 2014 Heisman Campaign
matt2roddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
^^^^
You said you didnt see how we could find anyone in the draft that would make an impact this year, and I clearly showed 6 players drafted in the second round that made a huge impact on their teams, no matter the position.

I look at it this way. We scored 26.2 points a game last year. If we lose TG, and replace his touches with Quizz, Douglass, and a TE, either rookie or vet, then we really shouldnt miss a beat. I mean, most of this forum beats its chest about Matt being an elite QB, well elite QBs should be able to score a good number of points with 2 top 10 WRs, not matter who he has as a 3rd option. Peyton Manning has Brandon Stokley. Joe Flacco has Ed Dickson/James Jones. Drew Brees has Lance Moore/Darren Sproles. Eli has Martellus Bennett. I mean come on. If Matt cannot carry this offense to 25 points a game with just two elite receivers, and some nice potential players, then he shouldnt be our QB.

If we bring in Percy Harvin, how much better will our offense be? Its not going to shoot up to 30+ points from 26.2. That isnt that realistic. At best, Harvin would keep us at status quo, maybe inch up to 27 points a game.

The defense was 28th last year in sacks with just 29. We also only had 51 tackles for loss. There is room for tons of improvement there. Abe is getting older, and one of these years, he is going to lose it. What then? Biermann isnt going to magicall turn into a 10+ sack guy. Matthews? Massaquoi? Sid? Not even close. Lets not forget that we were also 4th in takeaways last year, and Im not sure if that is sustainable this year, because a little luck always comes from turnovers. If we go down by 4 or 5 turnovers, then does that cause extra losses, since we play very close games week to week? The defense has to be improved. We have to get to the QB more often. We have to stop the run better. We cant just hope that Matt will pull out a last second win, or hope that we can make just one more stop than the other teams defense.

Well yeah those players made an impact on their team, but Percy is an MVP type player and none of those guys are as important to the Falcons as Defensive End is right now and you know it.

And you're right about our defense. Our defensive end situation is terrible right now. In a perfect world, we add another threat to the offense to replace Tony and a good pass rusher. If we don't do both of those things, not just one or the other, I have a hard time seeing us repeat our success last year. I hate to admit it, but the NFC South is an up and coming division. We can hope Brees continues to decline, but in all likelihood he has a much better year now that Payton is back.

My 2011 Adopt-A-Falcon: 1st Team All Rookie Linebacker Akeem Dent!!!
2012 Adopt-A-Falcon: CB Asante Samuel
xxfalconfanxx20

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt2roddy wrote:
devils1854 wrote:
^^^^

Well yeah those players made an impact on their team, but Percy is an MVP type player and none of those guys are as important to the Falcons as Defensive End is right now and you know it.

And you're right about our defense. Our defensive end situation is terrible right now. In a perfect world, we add another threat to the offense to replace Tony and a good pass rusher. If we don't do both of those things, not just one or the other, I have a hard time seeing us repeat our success last year. I hate to admit it, but the NFC South is an up and coming division. We can hope Brees continues to decline, but in all likelihood he has a much better year now that Payton is back.

If we traded a 3rd and a HD for Harvin we'd be killing 2 birds with one stone. We'd solve the problem of a bad return game and the slot would be instantly upgraded. We have enough cap space for this guy and with the rookie contract scale we'll be able to fill other needs and keep Moore. Grimes may take less money due to the injury concern. Turner is getting cut, Robinson is going to be forced to be restructure.

26.2 average points per game is good... But with the team we've got we could be much better.

I feel we need to adress in the offseason

MLB (Common denominator in all the best teams have a Beast MLB.. Sorry Akeem Dent just is not cutting it.)

DE...Obvious
TE...Obvious
RIZE FALCONS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxfalconfanxx20 wrote:
matt2roddy wrote:
devils1854 wrote:
^^^^

If we traded a 3rd and a HD for Harvin we'd be killing 2 birds with one stone. We'd solve the problem of a bad return game and the slot would be instantly upgraded. We have enough cap space for this guy and with the rookie contract scale we'll be able to fill other needs and keep Moore. Grimes may take less money due to the injury concern. Turner is getting cut, Robinson is going to be forced to be restructure.

26.2 average points per game is good... But with the team we've got we could be much better.

I feel we need to adress in the offseason

MLB (Common denominator in all the best teams have a Beast MLB.. Sorry Akeem Dent just is not cutting it.)

DE...Obvious
TE...Obvious

SO True Hit the nail on the head!!!!!!!!!!
adam9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Akeem Dent is getting replaced after starting this year and doing decent while taking half the snaps or less. Doesn't make any sense to me...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't need Harvin. We have White, Jones, and Douglas. It's crazy to even think about Harvin becoming a Falcon. He would easily be a slot receiver here but we dont' need him. We just signed Douglas to a 4 year deal. Even if Gonzo leaves, I still think our offense can put up some big points. I think TD has even said that Chase Coffman could be our starter going into next year if Gonzo does hang it up.
xxfalconfanxx20

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
So Akeem Dent is getting replaced after starting this year and doing decent while taking half the snaps or less. Doesn't make any sense to me...

65 combined tackles (42 solo/ 23 assisted) is good enough for you? He also had 0 Forced Fumbles, 0 Fumble recoveries. 0.0 Sacks, and 2 defended passes. in 16 games this year. Uh those are awful stats my friend. Dent isn't good enough. In case I'm not getting through here Rober McClain had more tackels than Dent this year. McClain, the Nickel Package corner had more Tackles than the STARTING MLB this year.
Jgoldiscool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxfalconfanxx20 wrote:
adam9 wrote:

65 combined tackles (42 solo/ 23 assisted) is good enough for you? He also had 0 Forced Fumbles, 0 Fumble recoveries. 0.0 Sacks, and 2 defended passes. in 16 games this year. Uh those are awful stats my friend. Dent isn't good enough. In case I'm not getting through here Rober McClain had more tackels than Dent this year. McClain, the Nickel Package corner had more Tackles than the STARTING MLB this year.
He only played 624 snaps as opposed to Nicholas (997) and Weatherspoon (876). Your argument for McClain actually works against you as he played 843 snaps.

XBL GT: l JGOLD l Adopt a Falcon | LB | Paul Worrilow
xxfalconfanxx20

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgoldiscool wrote:
xxfalconfanxx20 wrote:
adam9 wrote:

He only played 624 snaps as opposed to Nicholas (997) and Weatherspoon (876). Your argument for McClain actually works against you as he played 843 snaps.

You know why he's only on the field for 624 snaps? Because he isn't good enough to be on for more.
Jgoldiscool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxfalconfanxx20 wrote:
Jgoldiscool wrote:
xxfalconfanxx20 wrote:
adam9 wrote:

You know why he's only on the field for 624 snaps? Because he isn't good enough to be on for more.
Or that our base defense is the nickel.

xxfalconfanxx20

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion Dent isn't good enough. If he was good enough he'd be on the field more plain and simple. Other teams run straight up the middle when hes on the field and they have success doing that. So you can stop nitpicking my views now.
matt2roddy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxfalconfanxx20 wrote:
My opinion Dent isn't good enough. If he was good enough he'd be on the field more plain and simple. Other teams run straight up the middle when hes on the field and they have success doing that. So you can stop nitpicking my views now.

He's not nitpicking your views, he just doesn't agree with your opinion of Dent. Its perfectly fair of him to state his argument.

In my opinion, Dent could be replaced, but I don't think it needs to be a priority at all. In fact, I would rather see Nicholas go than Dent at this point. Dent has more room to grow, has a great work ethic, and is a solid LBer IMO. We don't really run our base 4-3 defense often. The LBers that are in when we are in the nickel are Nicholas and Weatherspoon. Spoon will obviously not get replaced due to being a stud, but Nicholas left something to be desired in coverage at times... Even he will be tough to replace with a rookie because he was such a solid player. So yeah, MLB isn't a huge priority for me either but I respect your opinion and would not be totally opposed to TD bringing one in in the earlier rounds, as he is likely to bring one in this offseason regardless.

My 2011 Adopt-A-Falcon: 1st Team All Rookie Linebacker Akeem Dent!!!
2012 Adopt-A-Falcon: CB Asante Samuel
Jgoldiscool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless we draft a super stud at MLB I don't see a reason why it's high on the priority list. Our defense doesn't feature a MLB enough to warrant a high pick. Not to mention our tackles played bad which hurts Dent.

Imo, the most effective way to fix our defense is to fix the front 4.

RIZE FALCONS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dent is slow and can't get to the gaps quick enough and can't cover any Running backs or tight ends !!! MLB may not be as pertinent as DE but I put it a close 2nd maybe 3rd.

If u make tackles 4 to 5 yards down the field then IMO they should count less and my man Dent was good at that!
ShockdAtFalcons

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing thinking we could trade Douglas and a 3rd for Percy Harvin is one ridiculous wet dream you guys have goin

But I too would be interested in getting some competition at MLB, Dent seems destined for Average at this point

2013 Foster a falcon
SS William Moore: 85 Tackles, 3 FFs, 3 INTs.
WR Harry Douglas: 85 rec, 1,067 yards, 2 TDs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: