Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Percy Harvin on the Trade Block?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvin, who is under contract for $2.9 million next season, could play out his five-year deal by agreeing to play in just the last six games after sitting out the first 10. The NFL requires that players be on a team for at least six games in a season to get credit for that year.

If Harvin were to sit out the entire 2013 season, he couldn't become a free agent in 2014, as his current contract allows, because he wouldn't have been on the team for at least six games. The Vikings could then retain his rights for one more year. By holding out, though, then returning, Harvin not only would lose his salary on a pro-rated basis but also face substantial fines.

Still, it would be financially advantageous to Harvin to hold out unless he gets a new contract. That way, he would avoid the risk of injury. The Vikings also could designate Harvin as a franchise player after next season, which would require paying him $10.4 million for 2014.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22606911/charley-walters-trade-vikings-harvin-seems-likely-but

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8952331/minnesota-vikings-no-intent-trading-percy-harvin

Quote:
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The Minnesota Vikings have no intention of trading wide receiver Percy Harvin, general manager Rick Spielman said Friday.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever friction has existed between Minnesota Vikings coach Leslie Frazier and top receiver Percy Harvin didn't stop Frazier from delivering a clear message when the two last spoke.

Frazier: "I made it clear that I want him here, and I'm hoping things will work out where he is here. We all know his value from a talent standpoint, and I hope it works out. I'd like for him to be wearing number 12 for the Minnesota Vikings than anywhere else. We've had conversations. They've been positive. We haven't talked extensively. But we have had conversations, and they've been good conversations."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Leslie_Frazier_to_Percy_Harvin_I_made_it_clear_that_I_want_him_here022313

Webmaster wrote:
bzane

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy, two factual and informative posts, there!

It's helpful when someone cuts through speculation and rumor and opinion with solid facts. Clears things up for the rest of us.

Thank you.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ you're welcome, but it's still just talk and posturing at this point. none of us know the real mindset of either the Viking management or Harvin and his agent.

for me personally, it all comes down to Harvin's attitude and dedication level, in that does he WANT to be a Minnesota Viking. because if he doesn't, then i would presume future blowups will happen again.

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
^^ you're welcome, but it's still just talk and posturing at this point. none of us know the real mindset of either the Viking management or Harvin and his agent.

for me personally, it all comes down to Harvin's attitude and dedication level, in that does he WANT to be a Minnesota Viking. because if he doesn't, then i would presume future blowups will happen again.

Just looking at the situation, resigning Harvin does hinder what the Vikings can do on the free agent market. They are currently sitting at roughly $12-14M in cap space and giving Harvin a new deal would essentially eat up $8-10M of that. Honestly, I dont think the Vikings can afford Harvin if they want to add upgrades in free agency or resign players like Phil Loadholt, Jerome Felton and Jamarca Sanford.

The decision could be financial, just as much as it being a fit.

Signing Harvin means the Vikings probably wont have the cash to make any free agent moves of note.

Personally, id rather take the extra cash and use the extra picks to make cheap upgrade. This team has several needs to fill and to me, Harvin is almost a luxury for MN than anything simply because Jarius Wright can play slot at a significantly cheaper price.

The Vikings must find two starting outside WRs, one 1 technique DT, one three down LB and extend Phil Loadholt. You could also throw in a starting Safety in there as well, depending on what happens with Jamarca Sanford, but even then, he is a solid starter at best. Harvin doesnt fill any of these needs and he will significantly hinder the ability to do so in my opinion.

The Vikings need to make tough choices, if they want Harvin they may have to let go of the fact that they wont add a free agent like Jennings or Hartlne, probably wont be able to bring back Phil Loadholt and maybe have to part way with a vet like Kevin Williams or Antoine Winfield.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having "no intention" to trade someone, isn't the same as saying "we will not" trade someone.

I still think that this is all posturing by Spielman. He doesn't want to lower Harvin's value, so it's better for him to remain committed to Harvin, publicly. And then let Harvin's agent do all the leg work to find a trade partner.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Having "no intention" to trade someone, isn't the same as saying "we will not" trade someone.

I still think that this is all posturing by Spielman. He doesn't want to lower Harvin's value, so it's better for him to remain committed to Harvin, publicly. And then let Harvin's agent do all the leg work to find a trade partner.

Agreed, as i stated earlier, both sides are better off really saying nothing to get what they want. What the Vikings are saying seems to be the same old cliche remarks that teams say to keep value.

If publicly both sides are at odds, its hard to trade a disgruntled player. If that potentially disgruntled player isnt talking and the Vikings are saying the right things, the Vikes will have an easier time in moving Harvin.

I am pro trading Harvin if I can get atleast a high 2nd rd pick and can save $8-10M.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: