Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Blue Chip Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
persiandud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Blue Chip Mock Reply with quote

This is my first mock, be gentle.

Offseason Moves:

Sam Shields is extended.
Woodson restructures, wants to have one more shot at a ring.
Finley stays, he showed promise towards the end of the year.
Brad Jones filled in nicely, he is resigned.
EDS is resigned for depth at C (upgrade with draft).
Crabtree is resigned.
Saturday/Driver retire. Saine/Grant/Benson cut. Lattimore/Zombo/Walden cut.

Greg Jennings is tagged and traded to the Jets for pick #41.

Ted Thompson bucks the FA trend and goes after Steven Jackson. SJax signs a two year, $9 million deal to play for a contender and end his career in pursuit of a ring. One of the more underrated RBs in the league, he'll be hungry and will do enough for defenses to honor the run. Picks up tough yards, smart veteran player. Paired with Dujuan Harris (change of pace back), the Packers are no longer scrubs at running the football.

And now on to the 2013 NFL Draft!

TRADE: Thompson wants a blue chipper and decides to trade up to get him. He deals with St. Louis and gets their #16 pick for the Packer's #26 and a future 2nd round draft pick.

With the 16th pick in the NFL Draft, the Packers select....

EZEKIAL ANSAH, DE BRIGHAM YOUNG

This guy is going to be a beast. The defense gets another impact player with incredible upside. He hasn't played much, and thus has received a lot of comparisons to JPP. He makes plays, and is an athletic freak. He will be something special.

With the 41st pick in the NFL Draft, the Packers select....

BARRETT JONES, C ALABAMA

It's rare to find a lineman who could come in ready to play anywhere on the line. Jones allows us to be versatile with our line; we could even play him as Aaron's blindside protector. Bright, high-IQ player and with this pick our center position is instantly improved.

With the 58th pick in the NFL Draft, the Packers select....

ROBERT WOODS, WR USC

TT gets another WR steal in the second round! I've always been a fan of Woods, and I think he'll fill in very nicely for Greg Jennings. Woods has good size and athleticism for a WR, and runs good routes. Loves football, willing blocker. This guy screams Packer to me. Needs to add some more bulk, but I'm confident he'll be productive.

With the 90th pick in the NFL Draft, the Packers select....

BACARRI RAMBO, FS GEORGIA

Rambo has made the calls for the secondary the past 2 years and allows us to kick Burnett to SS. Has good ball skills, can jump with receivers and gives us an enforcer over the middle of the field. Has above average speed and can cover some ground. Good in run support, very aggressive tackler, and takes good angles.

With the 122nd pick in the NFL Draft, the Packers select....

TREVARDO WILLIAMS, OLB CONNECTICUT

You can never have enough pass rushers in today's NFL. I don't ever want to see Walden again coming off the edge. Reminds me of Bruce Irvin. Explosive speed rusher and gives Dom some flexibility in who he sends after the QB on passing downs. Perry and Williams could come off the edge with Matthews dropping in coverage. Williams needs to develop more moves in his pass-rushing arsenal, but he could get a bunch of sacks in an attacking 3-4.

With a 4th round compensatory pick (thanks Matt Flynn) in the NFL Draft, the Packers select....

KWAME GEATHERS, DT GEORGIA

6-5, 355. This guy is a load who we could plug into our 2-4-5 formations with Raji/Pickett. Also gives us good insurance for Pickett leaving in the future. We need to improve the trenches and Geathers will be hard to move.

With another 4th round compensatory pick (thanks Scott Wells) in the NFL Draft, the Packers select....

DION SIMS, TE MICHIGAN STATE

6-5, 285. Insurance for Finley, but needs to work on his receiving skills. Good run blocker who has great speed for his size. Can be a reliable target on money downs and is tough to bring down.

With the 154th pick in the NFL Draft, the Packers select....

My pipe dream steal of the draft...
MARCUS LATTIMORE, RB SOUTH CAROLINA

Dr. James Andrews has been reported as saying that Lattimore is progressing ahead of schedule, and inexplicably no team takes a chance on him until TT decides enough is enough. A few months ago we were talking about this guy being the best RB in this year's draft. TT adds another impressive steal to his resume.

With the 186th pick in the NFL Draft, the Packers select....

MATT SCOTT, QB ARIZONA

Graham Harrell isn't going to cut it. Matt Scott gives him some competition as Rodgers' backup. Versatile QB, in line with the new wave of mobile signal callers. Tough kid, played through a concussion. Quick release, good velocity on throws, and has a pass-first mentality when on the move.

With the 218th pick in the NFL Draft, the Packers select....

CALEB STURGIS, K FLORIDA

Competition for Crosby. Kid was 23-27 with FGs last year, 32-33 extra point. Of his 4 misses, 3 were blocked. He was 8-9 from 40+ yards.

Thanks for reading!
BadgerBoy001

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody's trading for Jennings, at least not for a second, and all those picks are reaches. BYU's golden boy will be a top pick by the time is all done. Jones will also go late first. Woods will go in the second, and. Kinda think Rambo will be gone as well. If it happens its a great draft though
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadgerBoy001 wrote:
Nobody's trading for Jennings, at least not for a second, and all those picks are reaches. BYU's golden boy will be a top pick by the time is all done. Jones will also go late first. Woods will go in the second, and. Kinda think Rambo will be gone as well. If it happens its a great draft though

I know we've had this discussion a million times, but a team would give up a 2nd for an extended Jennings which is what they'd get. However the Hets have cap issues so it's not a fit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the direction you took this, barring the waste of a pick on Matt Scott. However, Rambo's got too many off-the-field issues which will ward of our organization. For a minute there I thought you had Woods as a 3rd round pick, which would be the correct spot for us to choose him if he was there. I could also see us trading up for him there too.

Woods is a turn-off to me for reasons I stated in previous posts and more importantly, I think he's too much of a gamble in the 2nd if we choose him there over other more important needs like S, but the 3rd or 4th round is the correct spot to choose him IMO.
RiotPunch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ansah is my biggest man-crush in the entire draft, and he would be a guy worth trading up for. Still doubt he would make it to 16 though.

Could live with the rest. That's a decent spot for Jones, Woods is a good fit. Rambo is probably off TT's board. Geathers and Sims are mammoths.

Nice work for your first mock.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow hard to argue with anything.

-Love Ansah. If we get him and he turns up anything like JPP I will be a happy man!
-Jones fits in perfectly. Even though everyone else is tired of seeing him turn up in mocks, I'm sure as hell not.
-Woods is excellent value. His injury could end up being a blessing in disguise. He's up there for one of my favorite WR's in this draft for the Pack. Phenomenal value.
-Rambo's character concern is that pot brownie incident correct? If so, who cares? He's not my favorite guy but I like him a good bit in the third. He is a playmaker who could payoff and let Burnett play naturally at SS. Good pick.
-Love me some Williams. Solid player who is flying under the radar. He would be a nice backup.
-YES to Geathers. Literally my only problem with Ansah is my doubts that he could play that LDE position that Pickett has been holding down for the past however many seasons. Geathers fills that LDE void and then some. Or maybe he plays NT and we kick Raji out to LDE? Either way I love the selection. Great great GREAT pickup!
-LOVE Sims. Raw in the receiving department but he has big soft hands and some undeniable ability. Phenomenal blocker. Excellent backup to Finley. Gives us that perfect backup that is good in all areas. Allows us to consider releasing Taylor or Williams or Quarless or even Crabtree.
-Genius pick with Lattimore. Don't think that he lasts that long but it is possible. If he starts on IR we have another season to see what Green and Starks can do. If he doesn't he gets to compliment Harris and learn form an All-Pro in Jackson. Great compliment to Harris in future seasons. Another two thumbs up selection.
-Scott is an underrated duel threat guy who could thrive behind Rodgers. I like his decision making skills and he has a great arm. Lets trade him for a 2nd in a couple offseasons yeah?
- Whateves on Sturgis. Don't think TT will waste one of his coveted draft picks on a kicker when he stuck with Crosby all of last season. More likely than not he brings in a UDFA or a FA (or both) to push him in TC.

Overall, this is the best mock I've seen in a while. I would be ecstatic if this is what we ended up with. Great prospects and great value. The future is bright either way but the future is blinding with these guys on the team. Great job man!!
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiotPunch wrote:
Ansah is my biggest man-crush in the entire draft, and he would be a guy worth trading up for. Still doubt he would make it to 16 though.

Could live with the rest. That's a decent spot for Jones, Woods is a good fit. Rambo is probably off TT's board. Geathers and Sims are mammoths.

Pretty much echo what Riot said. Love Ansah. Good with Jones there. Not huge on Woods, but most of the forum is. Nice job with it. Only thing I don't think happens is the trades. Doubt we get a 2nd for GJ (I have him walking in all my mocks), and I doubt we trade a future 2nd (TT doesn't deal future picks), and I doubt that a future 2 is enough to get us from 26 to 16, seeing as how it's usually valued a round below it's actual value (future 2's are treated like 3's, future 1s like 2s, etc).

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
persiandud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadgerBoy001 wrote:

I think it's possible (Jennings being tagged and traded), and the idea of giving me another pick to work with in the 2nd enticed me. Thanks for your response!
persiandud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
BadgerBoy001 wrote:

I know we've had this discussion a million times, but a team would give up a 2nd for an extended Jennings which is what they'd get. However the Hets have cap issues so it's not a fit.

I was thinking about Miami but chose the Jets because of the higher 2nd round pick. You are right, it's not likely.
persiandud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
I like the direction you took this, barring the waste of a pick on Matt Scott. However, Rambo's got too many off-the-field issues which will ward of our organization. For a minute there I thought you had Woods as a 3rd round pick, which would be the correct spot for us to choose him if he was there. I could also see us trading up for him there too.

Woods is a turn-off to me for reasons I stated in previous posts and more importantly, I think he's too much of a gamble in the 2nd if we choose him there over other more important needs like S, but the 3rd or 4th round is the correct spot to choose him IMO.

Rambo having a bunch of off the field issues is exactly why I had him going to us towards the end of the third. I think he's a solid player. I know we want a rangy FS type of safety but this draft is slim pickings for that kind of player. Rambo has some playmaking ability, and playmakers on your defense mean turnovers for my man Aaron Rodgers to capitalize on.

I don't think Matt Scott is terrible at that spot, and I think he shows more potential than Graham Harrell.

Woods is one of my favorite receivers in this draft, but yeah, I agree. Getting him in the third would be perfect.
persiandud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiotPunch wrote:

If we got Ansah (somehow) I would be rosterbating for months leading up to our first game.
persiandud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kuhn wrote:
Wow hard to argue with anything.

-Love Ansah. If we get him and he turns up anything like JPP I will be a happy man!
-Jones fits in perfectly. Even though everyone else is tired of seeing him turn up in mocks, I'm sure as hell not.
-Woods is excellent value. His injury could end up being a blessing in disguise. He's up there for one of my favorite WR's in this draft for the Pack. Phenomenal value.
-Rambo's character concern is that pot brownie incident correct? If so, who cares? He's not my favorite guy but I like him a good bit in the third. He is a playmaker who could payoff and let Burnett play naturally at SS. Good pick.
-Love me some Williams. Solid player who is flying under the radar. He would be a nice backup.
-YES to Geathers. Literally my only problem with Ansah is my doubts that he could play that LDE position that Pickett has been holding down for the past however many seasons. Geathers fills that LDE void and then some. Or maybe he plays NT and we kick Raji out to LDE? Either way I love the selection. Great great GREAT pickup!
-LOVE Sims. Raw in the receiving department but he has big soft hands and some undeniable ability. Phenomenal blocker. Excellent backup to Finley. Gives us that perfect backup that is good in all areas. Allows us to consider releasing Taylor or Williams or Quarless or even Crabtree.
-Genius pick with Lattimore. Don't think that he lasts that long but it is possible. If he starts on IR we have another season to see what Green and Starks can do. If he doesn't he gets to compliment Harris and learn form an All-Pro in Jackson. Great compliment to Harris in future seasons. Another two thumbs up selection.
-Scott is an underrated duel threat guy who could thrive behind Rodgers. I like his decision making skills and he has a great arm. Lets trade him for a 2nd in a couple offseasons yeah?
- Whateves on Sturgis. Don't think TT will waste one of his coveted draft picks on a kicker when he stuck with Crosby all of last season. More likely than not he brings in a UDFA or a FA (or both) to push him in TC.

Overall, this is the best mock I've seen in a while. I would be ecstatic if this is what we ended up with. Great prospects and great value. The future is bright either way but the future is blinding with these guys on the team. Great job man!!

Thanks a lot, The Kuhn! I put a good hour and a half into this, I'm glad it's being appreciated.
persiandud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:

Pretty much echo what Riot said. Love Ansah. Good with Jones there. Not huge on Woods, but most of the forum is. Nice job with it. Only thing I don't think happens is the trades. Doubt we get a 2nd for GJ (I have him walking in all my mocks), and I doubt we trade a future 2nd (TT doesn't deal future picks), and I doubt that a future 2 is enough to get us from 26 to 16, seeing as how it's usually valued a round below it's actual value (future 2's are treated like 3's, future 1s like 2s, etc).

To be perfectly honest, I don't know how trading picks works out. I figured pick 26 and a future 2nd would be enough to jump 10 spots in the first, but St. Louis would have to be dumb to do that.

The reason I traded a future 2nd is because I wanted to work with 2 picks in the second round. Purely selfish lol. Overall, this mock is a pipe dream for me. Thanks for your response.
palmy50

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tell you how happy I would be heading into day3 if that played out on days 1 & 2! I would be hard to deal with..... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Jennings tagged and traded to Miami? If the draft worked out this way, I'd buy tickets to the 2014 SB in New York because the Packers would be there winning 2nd in 4 years! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: