Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

HakeemTheDream's 3rd Off-Season Mock Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: HakeemTheDream's 3rd Off-Season Mock Draft Reply with quote

Welcome to my third mock draft/offseason for the Giants! I haven't put one together in a while and with the recent moves by the Giants, it inspired me to finish what they started. Although I estimated contract numbers for all of the veterans, I DID NOT add up the annual cap hits to see if it is under the cap. The NFL cap really is too complex and I'll leave it to Jerry Reese to figure out how to get under. All of the numbers I used aren't official, but I think they are fair value for the players at hand. Anyways, enough with this, here it is:

Cuts:

David Diehl, OL - Would save about $4.45 million for the Giants to cut Diehl. His time on the team is over. I don't think he gets cut right away. Giants wait until after securing Beatty to cut him loose.

Corey Webster, CB - Webster saves about $9.1 million if cut by the Giants. I think Webby deserves another chance to redeem himself, but not at that gigantic salary. I'd take him back for minimum, but nothing more than that.

Terrell Thomas, CB - T2 saves about $4 million if cut before his $6 million option. This cut is almost a given. I'd like to bring him back cheap to see if he can translate to safety, but he cannot play CB in the NFL with that balky knee anymore.

Restructures:

Eli Manning, QB - Eli is due $20 million this year because of a restructure last year, but I think that number is un-do-able with the teams current cap concerns. Eli is a team player and he drives a Toyota, he doesn't need that astronomical salary. I think the Giants work his salary down to about $13 million or so.

Chris Snee, OG - Snee is going to be taking it year-by-year in terms of retirement from now on out. His $6.45 million salary is a little expensive for a guard who has disappointed the past two years. Giants get his salary down to about $3.25 million this year, giving him an incentive to return to the team next year.

Antrel Rolle, S - Rolle has been a great acquisition, even if he has been constantly overpaid. At $9.25 million this year, that is just too much with the cap situation. He hasn't been asked to restructure that contract yet, so I think he takes a cut to $4.5 million in order to keep one of his close friends (Kenny Phillips) on the team.

Re-signings:

Will Beatty, OT - Beatty is going to be an interesting prospect on the open market, so the Giants can't let him reach that point. Giants offer him a 5 year, $37 million contract to have him protect Eli's blindside for years to come. I think that contract is fair for both parties.

Martellus Bennett, TE - The TE FA market isn't as shallow as people make it out to be, but Marty will be a top 5 TE in that class. I think a 4 year, $18 million contract is fair. I really want to see what the Giants can do with Marty after another year under TE coach Pope. Marty has potential to be one of the most complete TEs in the game if he keeps working at it. I hope he stays true to his hometown discount idea so the Giants can get him a little cheaper than this.

Kenny Phillips, S - Giants hit KP with the franchise tag this offseason ($6.8 million). Giants don't want to risk a long-term deal on KP after the injury suffered last year, and the franchise tag number for safeties isn't ludicrous like the majority of other positions. Gives KP and the Giants a one-year tryout to see if he deserves a long-term deal.

Keith Rivers, LB - Giants give Rivers a 1 year, $1 million deal to compete for a LB job this year. He was one of the most productive linebackers on the team last year, just couldn't stay healthy. Story of his career. This is his last chance to make an impact in the NFL.

David Carr, QB - 1 year, $1 million deal to backup Eli again this year.

Domenik Hixon, WR - 1 year, $950k deal for Hixon. Hixon is valuable special teamer and can play WR. Well worth the veteran minimum deal offered.

Victor Cruz, WR - Giants give Cruz the 1st round tender for RFA. Giants can't afford to lock him up long-term and the jury is still out on whether they want to keep Nicks or Cruz. Hopefully he doesn't try to hold out for a deal.

Stevie Brown, S - Giants give Stevie the 2nd round tender for RFA. Brings back Stevie to have the ability to run the three safety defense that was so effective last year with all three healthy. Provides solid depth and special teams play. I think his great season last year was an anomaly and he won't get all those turnovers again. Prove me wrong, Stevie!

Andre Brown, RB - Giants give Brown the original tender for RFA. Risky, considering he is the only capable backup on the roster, but RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL. Nobody is going to give Brown a contract with all of his past injury concerns.

Free Agent Signings:

Gosder Cherilus, OT - Giants lock up their RT of the future in Cherilus with a 4 year, $20 million deal. The OT market it very deep, so Cherilus might not get that contract he wants. According to PFF, he excelled as a pass blocker, which the Giants have had problems with at RT for years. I'd love to get a mauler at RT, but Cherilus is good value and fills a huge need.

Terrance Knighton, DT - Giants replace Canty with Knighton for 3 years, $11 million. Knighton had a very promising career, but got benched in the middle of the season last year for under-performing. He has had some bad luck with off-field incidents also. Knighton could be a solid player in the middle of the defense that can produce like Canty without the hefty price tag.

Chris Gamble, CB - Giants replace Webster with another veteran corner, Chris Gamble for 2 years, $8 million. Gamble hasn't been released yet, but its almost a certainty he will be. He is still a quality player in the league, but won't see a long-term deal because he is over 30 years old. Gamble will replace Webster and much more for this team, really solidifying the defensive backfield.

Phil Dawson, K - Dawson must be dying to get out of Cleveland, so the Giants get their replacement for Tynes at 2 years, $4 million. Fair deal for Dawson who has still produced at the age of 38. Very accurate from 40+ yards, which is where Tynes starts getting shaky. FA kicker market is very interesting (Tynes, Bironas, Hanson, Dawson, Hauschka, etc.)

Geoff Schwartz, OL - Schwartz has gotten overlooked the past few years, and is still a solid OL who can play LG, RG, and RT. Reese loves Schwartz, and gives him a 1 year, $2.5 million prove-it deal. Schwartz can replace Beatty for the time being until the Giants get a LG of the future.

Ronne Brown, RB - With no veteran leadership in the backfield, the Giants bring in Ronnie Brown for a year at veteran minimum salary ($950k). Brown would be a great 3rd down back for the team both pass protection and pass catcher. Isn't the best runner anymore, but quality depth.

Captain Munnerlyn, CB - Giants bring in Munnerlyn at veterans minimum salary to compete for a spot with the CBs. Munnerlyn lost his starting job last year, but excelled as a slot CB with the Panthers. If he could provide solid slot play, then he could be valuable for the team.

NFL Draft:

1. Dion Jordan, DE/LB, Oregon - Probably won't be a popular pick among Giants fans, but I would LOVE to have him on the team. He is a bit of a tweener right now at 6-7 240 lbs, but adding just about 15 lbs or so could make him a viable RE and SLB for our team. Drafting Jordan would allow the Giants to move Kiwi to DE full-time, and give Jordan all of Kiwi's snaps. Jordan has great speed and initial first step to be a pass rusher, and is more than capable in coverage. He can play SLB in a base defense and move to RE on nickel defenses.

2. Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State - Giants focused on offense in the draft last year, but have to look defense this time around. Brown (6-1 230 lbs) is the perfect MLB for the Giants defense. Brown has all the measurables to be an effective three-down middle linebacker. Solid in coverage and really gets upfield on running plays. I like him better than Ogletree personally, and he comes cheaper. If Brown blows up the combine by putting up numbers similar to his brother, Bryce, then there is no way he lasts until the middle of the second round. If he does though, Giants have a great MLB for the next decade.

3. Travis Frederick, OG/C, Wisconsin - Frederick has been getting mixed reviews among draft scouts. Some see him as a 1st rounders while others don't think that at all. I'm among the latter. No part of his game really jumps out to me. But in the 3rd, he provides solid depth and can be groomed into either the LG or C of the future. Great size at 6-4 335 lbs. Giants have a great OL coach and if they can have Frederick inserted at C, it would allow them to get rid of overpriced Baas at C.

4. Akeem Spence, DT, Illinois - While Knighton would be a good addition for right now, Spence (6-1 305 lbs) is an ideal 3-tech to replace Canty. He has been a starter since his freshmen year and was a leader for the Illinois defense. He needs to work on his pass rushing ability, but his run stopping is top notch and the Giants don't rely on their DTs to rush the passer as much as others do.

5. Dwyane Gratz, CB, Conneticut - Gratz was overshadowed by Wilson at Conneticut, which is why he falls to the 5th round. He is not flashy and doesn't possess elite athletic ability, but he is a solid player capable in coverage and in the run game. Solid size for a CB at 5-11 200 lbs. May not see much playing time right away, but could be groomed to be a contributor eventually.

6a. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama - Williams is such a perfect fit for the Giants that I cannot make a mock draft and not have him on the team. Will be cheap come draft day because of his lack of athletic ability, but he is essentially an extra tackle who can run routes and catch the ball. Giants love their blocking TEs, and Williams could replace Pascoe right away. At 6-5 270 lbs, he has an NFL ready body. Didn't show much as a pass catcher at the Senior Bowl, but TE coach Pope can do wonders.

6b. Ray Graham, RB, Pittsburgh - Graham would have been a 3rd round pick if it weren't for him blowing out his knee last year. He lacks the size of an every-down RB at 5-9 195 lbs, but he flashed LeSean McCoy potential before injury. He really didn't look like the same player initially, but starting showing bursts of his old self at the end of last year. Is more quick than he is fast. Can compete with Da'Rel Scott for the final RB spot on the team.

7. Alex Hurst, OT, LSU - Hurst has been overlooked because of playing opposite of Chris Faulk, but provides ideal measurements for a RT at 6'6 340 lbs. He missed the end of the season with a personal issue. Has some experience at LT, but won't translate there in the NFL. May have to switch to guard if he can't improve on footwork at the next level. The personal reason is that he may have quit football, which if that is the case, the Giants should pass on him in the 7th. Can compete for a roster spot.

Projected Final Depth Chart:

QB (2): Eli Manning, David Carr
RB (4): David Wilson, Andre Brown, Ronnie Brown, Ray Graham
FB (1): Henry Hynoski
WR (5): Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Rueben Randle, Domenik Hixon, Jerrel Jernigan
TE (3): Martellus Bennett, Adrien Robinson, Michael Williams
OT (4): Will Beatty, Gosder Cherilus, James Brewer, Alex Hurst
OG (3): Geoff Schwartz, Chris Snee, Brandon Mosley
C (2): David Baas, Travis Frederick

DE (4): Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck, Mathias Kiwanuka, Adewale Ojomo
DT (4): Linval Joseph, Terrance Knighton, Akeem Spence, Marvin Austin
LB (6): Jacquain Williams, Arthur Brown, Dion Jordan, Keith Rivers, Mark Herzlich, Spencer Paysinger
CB (5): Prince Amukamara, Chris Gamble, Jayron Hosley, Captain Munnerlyn, Dwayne Gratz
S (5): Kenny Phillips, Antrel Rolle, Stevie Brown, Will Hill, Tyler Sash

K (1): Phil Dawson
P (1): Steve Weatherford
LS (1): Zach DeOssie

Final Comments:

- That is 51 of 54 roster spots. That leaves the Giants to add about 3 UDFAs to their roster, preferably at LB and DL.

- Wow, that is a ton of 'Brown' players on this roster. We got Andre, Ronnie, Stevie, and Arthur. That'll get confusing Laughing

- I REALLY like the depth of the defensive backs and defensive line with this mock. I'd feel comfortable with these players in those areas going forward.

- Linebacker play is very unexperienced, but I would be comfortable with Williams and Brown on coverage in nickel packages. Jordan can hold his own standing up, and could be a great chess piece for Fewell when it comes to blitzes and whatnot.

- Really improved the offensive line play with this mock. Could become one of the best units in the NFL if they get the chemistry down and play together.

- Another very interesting potential cut I would LOVE to see in Giant blue is Jon Beason. He is a veteran MLB with experience in a 4-3 and has a good chance of not returning to the Panthers this year. Would be a perfect fit.

I think this is a championship caliber roster that has tons of potential for the future. Overall, what do you guys think?
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are we getting all this money for free agents? Laughing

The draft is nice, very defensive which I enjoy.

For the free agents I like Schwartz and Munnerlyn, as for everyone else I feel like they are unneeded. And would also take up too much cap. Cherilus is an alright signing but I cant see us bringing in/teaching two new guards our system.

#WeTheNorth
Biggsam49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im happy with Jordan. Im not happy with moving him around. Sick of the SAM / DE experiments like Kiwi and Sintim. Let LBs play LB and DEs play DE. I think Jordan can put on weight and be a great DE.

No to Grandpa Phil.

I'd be content with this overall.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen4ev wrote:
Where are we getting all this money for free agents? Laughing

The draft is nice, very defensive which I enjoy.

For the free agents I like Schwartz and Munnerlyn, as for everyone else I feel like they are unneeded. And would also take up too much cap. Cherilus is an alright signing but I cant see us bringing in/teaching two new guards our system.

I had freed up about $30 million or so in cap space with all of the cuts and re-structures. Maybe those FAs don't fit under that budget, but none of them get huge contracts. I love the Schwartz signing, as he can play almost any position on the offensive line. Would be great depth and could be a starter on the team. I would take Gamble over Munnerlyn any day of the week. Only one guard would have to start, and I mean there is a very good chance there will be at least one new starter on the offensive line any ways. People are going to have to learn the system, no matter what.

Biggsam49 wrote:
Im happy with Jordan. Im not happy with moving him around. Sick of the SAM / DE experiments like Kiwi and Sintim. Let LBs play LB and DEs play DE. I think Jordan can put on weight and be a great DE.

No to Grandpa Phil.

I'd be content with this overall.

I personally am not done with the experiment, at least until Jordan can gain enough weight to transition to full-time RE. He definitely has enough skills to play some LB though... much more than Kiwi.

Why no to Phil Dawson? He had a great year and is at least as reliable as Tynes. What other FA kicker would you want? (Hanson, Bironas, Tynes, Hauschka, etc.)
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if we can afford all those guys but this mock is definitely great.

^Stone85 on the sig^
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save The Hero wrote:

Me neither, that's why I didn't want to crunch the numbers Laughing
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:
Save The Hero wrote:

Me neither, that's why I didn't want to crunch the numbers Laughing

Im sure we'd be about 5-10 million over cap.

But a few more restructures and/or cuts would take care of that.

#WeTheNorth
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the highest priority among the FAs is Chris Gamble. Signing him would remind me of Sam Madison a few years ago. Veteran past his prime but still producing to the extent of being a starter. He would be a seamless transition from Webster, IMO.
justinsgiants

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave Kiwi alone!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many guys are there in the league that productively play SAM on base downs and move to DE in nickel? Only guy that comes to mind is Von, and he doesn't actually put his hand down.
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also forgot to add the question on why we would sign Dawson?

We're just delaying the inevitable in drafting one, which right now seems like a great move.

#WeTheNorth
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggsam49 wrote:
How many guys are there in the league that productively play SAM on base downs and move to DE in nickel? Only guy that comes to mind is Von, and he doesn't actually put his hand down.

Jordan is capable of being a RE, he just needs to put on weight. At his size and with his solid coverage ability, there is no reason not to use it. He fits perfectly into the mold of what the Giants envisioned Kiwi being. And now it's time for Kiwi to move to DE.

Gmen4ev wrote:
I also forgot to add the question on why we would sign Dawson?

We're just delaying the inevitable in drafting one, which right now seems like a great move.

The free agent class for kickers is very deep, and I don't think this years kicker draft class will be as great as last years. Plus when it comes to kickers, I take veterans over rookies any day of the week.
percellovegiant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justinsgiants wrote:
Leave Kiwi alone!

LMFAO!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: