Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The nightmare scenario: An Aaron Rodgers holdout
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

how would you react to it?
angry/betrayed by the decision
27%
 27%  [ 6 ]
understand the business side
72%
 72%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 22

PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly can't remember the last time a QB under contract held out.

Who was the last guy to do that?
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxr124 wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
He deserves pretty much whatever he wants at this point, but I would lose some respect for him if he signs a Manning or Brees-like team crippling contract. Of course you have to give it to him if he demands it, it would just suck. I don't get some NFL players. If you are the best at your trade like a Tiger Woods, Lebron or Aaron, you can make 10x the money of a sports contract in endorsements. The difference between signing a 12 mil a year deal and a 20 mil a year deal and winning championship shouldn't mean much if you make a killing from State Farm, Pizza Hut, Nike, Associated Bank, Ford ect....

The difference between 12 mil a year and 20 mil a year is setting your kids up for life OR setting your kids & grandkids up for life. I know what I'd do (especially if I already had a ring). Anyone that says they wouldn't do the same is a fool.

No the difference between 12 mil and 20 mil a year is and leaving 120 million in your will or dying and leaving 80 million in your will. My ex-girlfriend got a car and 5 years of college from her lawyer grandfather who made a little over a million a year. At 12 million a year plus probably another 15-30 million in endorsement money a year, Aaron would have enough to buy every one of his grandkids a car, house and school and still have more money than he would know what to do with. I would not do the same, give me the 12 mil a year and use the other 8 to sign 1-2 other players that will help me maximize my abilities and set us up to win championships.

That's like saying if Aaron hit FA and we offered him 12 million and the Jaguars offered him 20, that he'd go to Jacksonville to win 6 games a year. A lot of time pride & competitive nature come before money, and I think A-Rod is one of those guys.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
mxr124 wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
He deserves pretty much whatever he wants at this point, but I would lose some respect for him if he signs a Manning or Brees-like team crippling contract. Of course you have to give it to him if he demands it, it would just suck. I don't get some NFL players. If you are the best at your trade like a Tiger Woods, Lebron or Aaron, you can make 10x the money of a sports contract in endorsements. The difference between signing a 12 mil a year deal and a 20 mil a year deal and winning championship shouldn't mean much if you make a killing from State Farm, Pizza Hut, Nike, Associated Bank, Ford ect....

The difference between 12 mil a year and 20 mil a year is setting your kids up for life OR setting your kids & grandkids up for life. I know what I'd do (especially if I already had a ring). Anyone that says they wouldn't do the same is a fool.

No the difference between 12 mil and 20 mil a year is and leaving 120 million in your will or dying and leaving 80 million in your will. My ex-girlfriend got a car and 5 years of college from her lawyer grandfather who made a little over a million a year. At 12 million a year plus probably another 15-30 million in endorsement money a year, Aaron would have enough to buy every one of his grandkids a car, house and school and still have more money than he would know what to do with. I would not do the same, give me the 12 mil a year and use the other 8 to sign 1-2 other players that will help me maximize my abilities and set us up to win championships.

That's like saying if Aaron hit FA and we offered him 12 million and the Jaguars offered him 20, that he'd go to Jacksonville to win 6 games a year. A lot of time pride & competitive nature come before money, and I think A-Rod is one of those guys.

I see A-Rod as a 14M/year guy. I believe somewhere he said he wasn't really interested in being the highest paid QB. 14M a year is pretty damn good and it'll help him win more championships. SB rings seem to be a pretty big deal to Aaron, even moreso than others.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16.7-17.3 per.
cpnesdude41

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bstars4evr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:

Aaron Rodgers wrote:
So what if the Dos Equis' man told me I was the world's most interesting man
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bstars4evr wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:

Russell held out as a rookie, before he had signed his contract, right? I'm pretty sure he never got a second contract.

I'm talking about a QB who is already under contract with a team, or a QB who is tagged or tendered, holding out. Has that ever happened?
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew Brees just did, he didn't miss any games but he wasnt at any mini-camps this off-season.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
Drew Brees just did, he didn't miss any games but he wasnt at any mini-camps this off-season.

Was he under contract or franchise tagged?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:

He was franchised. But I honestly don't think "missing mini-camps" is a very big deal.
spilltray

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
spilltray wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:

He was franchised. But I honestly don't think "missing mini-camps" is a very big deal.

Sure my point is, that still doesn't count as a QB "UNDER CONTRACT" holding out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RCobb18

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it will ever come to that point but if it did I would be really upset with the front office. Rodgers is set to make less than half of what Manning is to make next season, thats criminal to me. When he gets his extension it should be at least Manning money.
SDN40

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the very end of the day it is up to Rodgers, but this is a payday for his agent as well, so don't think for one minute that there will be a nice guy discount happening. The players union is also waiting in the wings to stick their nose in should they smell a huge bargain brewing. They will put huge pressure on Rodgers to do the "right thing" which is to escalate the price as much as the market will allow. Rodgers will sign for the going rate and not a penny less.

Last edited by SDN40 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:36 am; edited 2 times in total
persiandud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fan, I'd want Rodgers to take a paycut so that our team can have the cap to stay ahead of the curve.

As a realist, I know Rodgers is going to get paid more than any QB. And he should.
palmy50

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:

I feel your point, but I'm not real sure when the last time was it might have been this justified either. Rodgers agent could make a very strong case for him being the best player in all the land. Sure are some players making a good bit more money though.

That said, one of the many things I love about Rodgers is that his legacy matters to him. I can't really see him playing that hand. If it gets to that point, shame on TT really IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: