Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The nightmare scenario: An Aaron Rodgers holdout
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

how would you react to it?
angry/betrayed by the decision
27%
 27%  [ 6 ]
understand the business side
72%
 72%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 22

Arodsmightybelt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: The nightmare scenario: An Aaron Rodgers holdout Reply with quote

This is one we dont want to think about down the line, but it bears questioning. I dont think Saints fans held any grudge towards Brees about getting a deal done, but what if something like that played out with us? It would be awfully tough watching a Drew Brees scenario play out watching Harrell and Coleman take the reigns in preseason. Would you feel betrayed/angry with rodgers? or understand the business side of it and not hold it against him?
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt he would, but I would be upset at both sides. Ted for not paying ghim enough and Rodgers for not handling it well.
RG25

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy....pay the man!! I'd be upset at the Packers if they didn't pay him. Rodgers would have every right to hold out. He is the best player on this team and one of the best players in the NFL. They better give Arod everything he wants.
If he wants 20.6 million women per year instead of money, they better make it happen.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He deserves pretty much whatever he wants at this point, but I would lose some respect for him if he signs a Manning or Brees-like team crippling contract. Of course you have to give it to him if he demands it, it would just suck. I don't get some NFL players. If you are the best at your trade like a Tiger Woods, Lebron or Aaron, you can make 10x the money of a sports contract in endorsements. The difference between signing a 12 mil a year deal and a 20 mil a year deal and winning championship shouldn't mean much if you make a killing from State Farm, Pizza Hut, Nike, Associated Bank, Ford ect....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=john+malkovich+pay+that+man+his+money&mid=4A62899D999338B902624A62899D999338B90262&view=detail&FORM=VIRE3

that's basically how i feel. i'd be upset about the it but he's earned this contract like not many other qbs have. he set behind a legend after being passed over by 17+ teams that would love to go back in time and take him. i would be surprised more on TTs part than A-Rods part since he is the one who wouldn't be pulling the trigger. he's definitely not been known to withhold money from team guys ala Driver and Woodson.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
He deserves pretty much whatever he wants at this point, but I would lose some respect for him if he signs a Manning or Brees-like team crippling contract. Of course you have to give it to him if he demands it, it would just suck. I don't get some NFL players. If you are the best at your trade like a Tiger Woods, Lebron or Aaron, you can make 10x the money of a sports contract in endorsements. The difference between signing a 12 mil a year deal and a 20 mil a year deal and winning championship shouldn't mean much if you make a killing from State Farm, Pizza Hut, Nike, Associated Bank, Ford ect....

The difference between 12 mil a year and 20 mil a year is setting your kids up for life OR setting your kids & grandkids up for life. I know what I'd do (especially if I already had a ring). Anyone that says they wouldn't do the same is a fool.
UpTheSeam85

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxr124 wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:

The difference between 12 mil a year and 20 mil a year is setting your kids up for life OR setting your kids & grandkids up for life. I know what I'd do (especially if I already had a ring). Anyone that says they wouldn't do the same is a fool.

Why would you want to set your kids up or your grandkids up for life? Paying for the education and a good upbringing and a few nice things here and there due to the wealth is more than enough, you don't want your kids to be spoiled brats. This coming from an 18 year old too. I know it's off topic, but if it helps the team, I know Rodgers would take less to win more rings.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UpTheSeam85 wrote:
mxr124 wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:

Why would you want to set your kids up or your grandkids up for life? Paying for the education and a good upbringing and a few nice things here and there due to the wealth is more than enough, you don't want your kids to be spoiled brats. This coming from an 18 year old too. I know it's off topic, but if it helps the team, I know Rodgers would take less to win more rings.
An impeccable high profile image should more then make up the difference of current salary.

Rodgers holds out, gets an extra $16 million over the next two years. After his agent, the gov't and other take their cut, he'd be lucky to have $10M. If he made good investments, he could make 1M off the initial $10M a year, $500k after tax. If he does that for 50 years, that's $35 million in additional income or $700/yr but the money is always at risk and the revenue streams are limited. Take a charismatic star playing the premium sports position in the United States, on a storied franchise, attacking the record books with a spotless public image and perception? If you can't use that to your advantage, something is wrong. The earnings potential is vast and superior

In no way am I saying a holdout is an image destroyer, it's not, there is nothing criminal about it and part of the business of football but your are still taking some amount of tarnish on your image and that is undeniable.

It's small but these little things could be the difference between some exec at Ford or State Farm going with Rodgers or taking their checks to Matt Ryan or Eli Manning.

John Elway is a great example of maximizing public image, even though he demanded his way out of Baltimore he became the darling son of Denver where he did no wrong and in addition with his West Coast roots has turned his relatively meager playing salaries by today's standards into a net worth around $300 million as well as a strong post playing career as the Broncos executive.

About the OP, I'd be pissed at Rodgers, he's been quoted numerous times about how grateful he was when he signed his second contract and how he never expected that much before ever playing a game as the starter and that Thompson showed faith in him. To turn around and hold out when you know the money is coming, would be in opposition to much he has done to develop his public character. It surprises no one when characters such as Revis or Chris Johnson holdout but the humble grateful persona Rodgers has worked so hard to build up would definitely have to brought into debate and with that his marketability.

Over 40 years later and Bart Starr is still Bart Starr the icon.
Five years later and Brett Favre, is still an outcast with his largest endorsement deal preceeding his fall from the Green Bay graces.
Image is Money.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Joe Flacco got like 20 mil. I think Aaron Rodgers is due 24 mill. It be like that sometimes. Hopefully he pulls a Brady tho. I ain't mad at him for maximizing his pay, I know most people would as well.

G.Harmon MLB #9
...Stop, You're Looking At Brilliance. G.G.T.G
G Harmon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Joe Flacco got like 20 mil. I think Aaron Rodgers is due 24 mill. It be like that sometimes. Hopefully he pulls a Brady tho. I ain't mad at him for maximizing his pay, I know most people would as well.

G.Harmon MLB #9
pollino14

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would understand him wanting the largest deal possible... but it d kinda leave a sour taste in my mouth.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Harmon wrote:

why does everyone think that if Flacco gets 20 that AR is bound to get 24+?

he may be worth that but it doesn't mean the packers & AR have to sign to that

i mean if Flacco gets 20 mill... its pretty feasible that AR would sign for 20.5ish mill

really what it comes down to is that at the time of signing the deal is the richest in the NFL but the packers aren't stupid & aren't going to outbid themselves. AR's also not going to hold out if hes offered the highest contract ever at the time regardless
wgbeethree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxr124 wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:

Arguably my favorite all time sports quote.....

“How much more do you need? Could have got more, whatever. Who cares? If $85 million is not enough to take care of my family and generations to come, then I’m pretty stupid.”

-—Los Angeles Angels pitching ace Jered Weaver,after signing a 5 year, $85 million contract to stay with Angels.

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
G Harmon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G.Harmon MLB #9
Kal-El

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How I'd react as a fan: understand it, just business.

How I'd react if I were GM: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Pro-Johnny Footbawl.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: