Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

TAPT 56 - Ted hatez CWood21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13894
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
justo wrote:
wgbeethree wrote:
justo wrote:
Ducks about to have a hammer slammed on them. Been waiting for it to drop since 2010-ish. Sad It was a good run of almost losing to Alabama team in the Natty three years in a row. At least Chip got something nice out of it.


Yeah everyone should have seen that coming. Said at the time when Chip flip flopped on staying that he probably got the heads up and was pulling a Pete Carroll. It's a damn shame. Guys run a dirty program and get rewarded while the kids and schools have to face the heat.


NCAA runs a dirty business. I don't see these coaches getting paid in classes.


As a die hard PSU guy, I'll just say I agree!


I don't see why we let the NCAA get away with what they do, to be honest. It's not like we treat the student athlete the same as a regular student, anyways. The rules for admission for them are different even. It's different from the moment they sign up for school.

It's why I'm happy about what the (possible) new USFL is trying to do. One of my friends is part of the group that's trying to get a Portland team, and he says they are trying to make the minimum age 18 for athletes, so that if someone gets kicked out of school/would rather get money for what they do until the NFL's 3 year mandatory time period is up, they have an alternative. Should be interesting to see if it's going to happen, though. These leagues always get talked about, but rarely happen. Even the AFL and UFL actually played, but the results were pretty poor (both folded recently, AFL started back up.)

Agents are on that level of "dirty business," too. They get 10% of an athlete's money? Some slick talking dude in a suite isn't coning a GM out of money. I understand the barrier that needs to be between the player and the GM in the negotiation (from what I've read, Lombardi had a problem with this), but 10%? Nuh uh. Not when a rookie salary scale is up, now.


Preach on brother! At least Miami/Ducks ect got caught up in an NCAA rule issue. Don't get me wrong. What went down at PSU was frickin sick. I would love for one to tell me how they gained a competitive advantage though!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 13386
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Preach on brother! At least Miami/Ducks ect got caught up in an NCAA rule issue. Don't get me wrong. What went down at PSU was frickin sick. I would love for one to tell me how they gained a competitive advantage though!
Yup. NCAA went past their boundaries of punishment, but Penn State couldn't have done anything. The NCAA could have literally have done anything to the program, and Penn State would have taken it, just to keep things calmer and not stir the story up again. I feel bad for the innocent fans, coaches, and athletes.
_________________
Webmaster wrote:
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Macc_Aviv


Joined: 06 Jan 2011
Posts: 1292
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
justo wrote:
wgbeethree wrote:
justo wrote:
Ducks about to have a hammer slammed on them. Been waiting for it to drop since 2010-ish. Sad It was a good run of almost losing to Alabama team in the Natty three years in a row. At least Chip got something nice out of it.


Yeah everyone should have seen that coming. Said at the time when Chip flip flopped on staying that he probably got the heads up and was pulling a Pete Carroll. It's a damn shame. Guys run a dirty program and get rewarded while the kids and schools have to face the heat.


NCAA runs a dirty business. I don't see these coaches getting paid in classes.


As a die hard PSU guy, I'll just say I agree!


I don't see why we let the NCAA get away with what they do, to be honest. It's not like we treat the student athlete the same as a regular student, anyways. The rules for admission for them are different even. It's different from the moment they sign up for school.

It's why I'm happy about what the (possible) new USFL is trying to do. One of my friends is part of the group that's trying to get a Portland team, and he says they are trying to make the minimum age 18 for athletes, so that if someone gets kicked out of school/would rather get money for what they do until the NFL's 3 year mandatory time period is up, they have an alternative. Should be interesting to see if it's going to happen, though. These leagues always get talked about, but rarely happen. Even the AFL and UFL actually played, but the results were pretty poor (both folded recently, AFL started back up.)

Agents are on that level of "dirty business," too. They get 10% of an athlete's money? Some slick talking dude in a suite isn't coning a GM out of money. I understand the barrier that needs to be between the player and the GM in the negotiation (from what I've read, Lombardi had a problem with this), but 10%? Nuh uh. Not when a rookie salary scale is up, now.

When I was coaching in the NBA Development League we could take on players right out of high school. Recruited the hell out of a couple high school players one year. Made contact with a kid and was ready to put him on our team through a tryout camp, but he got hooked in with an agent who had different plans for him. He was drafted by a different team in our league, played a season, and became a second round pick of the Oklahoma City Thunder.

That was a few years back at this point and nobody has followed his footsteps. I think all it would take is 1 really big name to make it a common path to the NBA, but nobody has made it a 'thing' yet.

What are the salaries going to be in the USFL? The league I coached in didn't pay a lot of money, but I had a sponsor lined up for the right player...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HyponGrey


Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 3736
Location: Down the road from NFL Films
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
wgbeethree wrote:
justo wrote:
Ducks about to have a hammer slammed on them. Been waiting for it to drop since 2010-ish. Sad It was a good run of almost losing to Alabama team in the Natty three years in a row. At least Chip got something nice out of it.


Yeah everyone should have seen that coming. Said at the time when Chip flip flopped on staying that he probably got the heads up and was pulling a Pete Carroll. It's a damn shame. Guys run a dirty program and get rewarded while the kids and schools have to face the heat.


NCAA runs a dirty business. I don't see these coaches getting paid in classes.
I smell a TAPT name. That or "Palmy loves Penn State"
_________________
justo wrote:
Bostick drove a guy 12 yards and finished off with a pancake and I'm not sure where my pants went.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13894
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
Preach on brother! At least Miami/Ducks ect got caught up in an NCAA rule issue. Don't get me wrong. What went down at PSU was frickin sick. I would love for one to tell me how they gained a competitive advantage though!
Yup. NCAA went past their boundaries of punishment, but Penn State couldn't have done anything. The NCAA could have literally have done anything to the program, and Penn State would have taken it, just to keep things calmer and not stir the story up again. I feel bad for the innocent fans, coaches, and athletes.


Agree with every word. PSU was forced to swallow because of what would have been PR hell had they tried to fight it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 13386
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macc_Aviv wrote:
What are the salaries going to be in the USFL?


Quote:
At least initially, that should not be a concern for the latest incarnation of the USFL. The top salary for a USFL player will be $3,500 a game, Cuadra said. The plan is for 14 games, with eight teams initially.


49,000

Another quote

Quote:
"We're not going to spend that kind of money (the old USFL did) and that's the reason we're so adamant on a flat pay scale for all players with some bonusing for playoff success,'' Bailey said player pay scale would be in the $30,000 to $35,000 per season range.

"We're thinking $2,500 per game. One of the main things we want to do is give these guys a chance to be seen on game tape."

"We'll probably provide housing for them.''


If it's 2,500 a game, that's 35,000. The AFL providing housing, IIRC.
_________________
Webmaster wrote:
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.


Last edited by justo on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Macc_Aviv


Joined: 06 Jan 2011
Posts: 1292
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
Macc_Aviv wrote:
What are the salaries going to be in the USFL?


Quote:
At least initially, that should not be a concern for the latest incarnation of the USFL. The top salary for a USFL player will be $3,500 a game, Cuadra said. The plan is for 14 games, with eight teams initially.


49,000

Another quote

Quote:
"We're not going to spend that kind of money (the old USFL did) and that's the reason we're so adamant on a flat pay scale for all players with some bonusing for playoff success,'' Bailey said player pay scale would be in the $30,000 to $35,000 per season range.

"We're thinking $2,500 per game. One of the main things we want to do is give these guys a chance to be seen on game tape."


If it's 2,500 a game, that's 35,000

Those are workable numbers and the revenue/salaries would surely go up if top prospects would start spurning the NCAA. It really only takes one success story and others will start jumping on the bandwagon.


Last edited by Macc_Aviv on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 13386
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macc_Aviv wrote:
Those are workable numbers and the revenue/salaries would surely go up if top prospects would start spurning the NFL. It really only takes one success story and others will start jumping on the bandwagon.
Yup. Plus, they get a leg up on leagues like the UFL. I think they paid everyone (outside of K, P, LS) like 35 k, for shorter seasons, and that was in the Fall. With all these sports networks coming up I think there's room for a Spring league to get nationally televised.
_________________
Webmaster wrote:
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13894
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Braves are in Pittsburgh this weekend. First time I will be taking advantage of our company seats.......... Cool

Maybe not Sat, PSU Blue and White game.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 13386
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Maybe not Sat, PSU Blue and White game.
Ducks Spring Game is during the draft Mad was ready to head down to Eugene until I realized that.
_________________
Webmaster wrote:
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
wgbeethree


Joined: 15 Dec 2009
Posts: 3076
Location: Denver, CO via Racine, Wisconsin
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes when it gets to this point in a TAPT I consider making a completely useless post for the sole purpose of pushing it over the top to page 101 but I never do.
_________________

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 13386
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTKYx89PqdM
_________________
Webmaster wrote:
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
GBPackers79


Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 19894
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who wants to take a shot at creating the next one?

Be careful, they're ruthless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100
Page 100 of 100

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group