Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints hire former Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2013/2/7/3962548/why-the-saints-may-need-rob-ryan

Thought this was a good read.

Quote:
That leads me to another angle on Ryan. We may look at his former teams and their statistics and feel quite underwhelmed but let's look at what types of offensive leadership his defenses had to make up for.

Oakland 2004-2008 QB's: Kerry Collins ('04-'05), Aaron Brooks ('06), and JaMarcus Russell ('07-'0Cool Head Coaches: Norv Turner, Art Shell, Lane Kiffin, and Tom Cable

Cleveland 2009-2010 QB's: Derek Anderson ('09), Jake Delhomme and Colt McCoy ('10) Head Coach: Eric Mangini

Dallas 2011-2012 QB: Tony Romo Head Coach: Jason Garrett

You could combine all of these quarterbacks into a Voltron-style mega QB and still they couldn't come within 100 yards of Drew Brees' talent, heart, and leadership. When Tony Romo is the absolute best quarterback you've ever had opposite your defense it's not saying a lot. So clearly Ryan hasn't had a lot of backup over the years and his defenses have had to do a serious amount of compensation and load carrying.

Rob Ryan paired opposite Sean Payton and Drew Brees on offense could potentially be an intimidating combination for the rest of the NFL to prepare for. Although Ryan is a long-time 3-4 disciple (which is ideal) the 4-3 is not foreign to him from his Raider days.

I think he was the scapegoat in Dallas last season. I think with the Saints offense, there is potential for another 2009 type season for the Saints. I'm getting hyped for the draft now!

LMFAO @ trying to throw Romo under the bus to save Ryan

Is it the QBs fault he was one of the worst at getting turnovers in franchise history?

Is it the QBs fault he CONSTANTLY had the wrong personnel on the field or they didnt know their assignment leading to blown coverages or that we had 10 or 12 defenders on the field multiplw times a season??

Give me a freaking break... he had a HOF pass rusher, a great CB duo and a great LB duo along with an SOLB who will be one of the top FA signings this offseason but it was the offenses fault... GTFO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
navysaintsfan wrote:
http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2013/2/7/3962548/why-the-saints-may-need-rob-ryan

Thought this was a good read.

Quote:
That leads me to another angle on Ryan. We may look at his former teams and their statistics and feel quite underwhelmed but let's look at what types of offensive leadership his defenses had to make up for.

Oakland 2004-2008 QB's: Kerry Collins ('04-'05), Aaron Brooks ('06), and JaMarcus Russell ('07-'0Cool Head Coaches: Norv Turner, Art Shell, Lane Kiffin, and Tom Cable

Cleveland 2009-2010 QB's: Derek Anderson ('09), Jake Delhomme and Colt McCoy ('10) Head Coach: Eric Mangini

Dallas 2011-2012 QB: Tony Romo Head Coach: Jason Garrett

You could combine all of these quarterbacks into a Voltron-style mega QB and still they couldn't come within 100 yards of Drew Brees' talent, heart, and leadership. When Tony Romo is the absolute best quarterback you've ever had opposite your defense it's not saying a lot. So clearly Ryan hasn't had a lot of backup over the years and his defenses have had to do a serious amount of compensation and load carrying.

Rob Ryan paired opposite Sean Payton and Drew Brees on offense could potentially be an intimidating combination for the rest of the NFL to prepare for. Although Ryan is a long-time 3-4 disciple (which is ideal) the 4-3 is not foreign to him from his Raider days.

I think he was the scapegoat in Dallas last season. I think with the Saints offense, there is potential for another 2009 type season for the Saints. I'm getting hyped for the draft now!

LMFAO @ trying to throw Romo under the bus to save Ryan

Is it the QBs fault he was one of the worst at getting turnovers in franchise history?

Is it the QBs fault he CONSTANTLY had the wrong personnel on the field or they didnt know their assignment leading to blown coverages or that we had 10 or 12 defenders on the field multiplw times a season??

Give me a freaking break... he had a HOF pass rusher, a great CB duo and a great LB duo along with an SOLB who will be one of the top FA signings this offseason but it was the offenses fault... GTFO

Agreed.

Good read on these sorts of issues:

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/01/09/rob-ryan-was-fired-because-his-defense-played-dumb-not-because-of-defensive-philosophy/

I'll put it this way: I'm not very excited about Billy Davis, but I am so glad we didn't choose Ryan instead.
Pookie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan runs the 1gap style that fits our personnel better. I see this hiring as a 1yr deal and we'll go after our guy next year.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pookie wrote:
Ryan runs the 1gap style that fits our personnel better. I see this hiring as a 1yr deal and we'll go after our guy next year.

What? Why would Payton and Loomis go with 3 coordinators in 3 years when Brees' time is running out?

I will be livid if that happens. If there is any amount of success under Ryan, they'll stick with him.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Pookie wrote:

What? Why would Payton and Loomis go with 3 coordinators in 3 years when Brees' time is running out?

I will be livid if that happens. If there is any amount of success under Ryan, they'll stick with him.

I think the Saints really wanted one of the 49ers assistants and they'll be available next year. I guess Ryan might stick if he has a top 20 defense, which most likely means we win the super bowl.
tom cody

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan's a good defensive co-ordinator. Good hire by the Saints.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pookie wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Pookie wrote:

I think the Saints really wanted one of the 49ers assistants and they'll be available next year. I guess Ryan might stick if he has a top 20 defense, which most likely means we win the super bowl.

most likely win the super bowl?

c'mon man. it's not that simple. if we have a halfway decent defense, we're absolutely contenders, but to say we'll "most likely" win is incredibly homerish and looks bad to all the fans of all the other teams.

Location: I state my opinion. You Listen. I won't change my stance.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's always the guy that never puts blame on his players for anything. Always his fault. But in his two years I have yet to see when he fixed HIS mistakes.

Look. He could have blamed his players and made them better or he could have blamed himself and made his gameplan better.

He was the epitome of cowboys. Always talk, Shouts out to the media to accountability for himself for mistakes but really doesn't change anything about it, Falls in the Clutch and doesn't make the right call when it really matters.

Jason Garrett was much the same way but I learned to admire him after our Jerry Brown incident and how he guided our team through that time where it seemed like our season was lost.

I look back and it reeks of Jerry Jones idea to sign him, JG preaches RKG mentality , we can't have that with a loudmouth coach who isn't RKG himself so how can we expect our players to get that kind of mentality on our defence.

Our defense played exactly how he is as a coach, his defense is shutdown in normal situations but when we REALLY needed him, that moment where everything depends upon his game plan, bam all I see is the opponents offense on our goal-line 5 seconds left in the 4th quarter.

Our players loved him.They loved Wade Philips too. So did the Texan's players. Neither of their teams have gotten far into the playoffs or beat elite teams in the playoffs.

Heres my prediction:

The saints will dominate the regular season. When it comes to the playoffs they will lose round 2. His defenses aren't made for high-stakes situations.

Dirk Gently on 2012 Cowboys O-line wrote:
I think last year we gave up pressure to 3 jewish ladies from brooklyn.
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadaluvsdalla wrote:
He's always the guy that never puts blame on his players for anything. Always his fault. But in his two years I have yet to see when he fixed HIS mistakes.

Look. He could have blamed his players and made them better or he could have blamed himself and made his gameplan better.

He was the epitome of cowboys. Always talk, Shouts out to the media to accountability for himself for mistakes but really doesn't change anything about it, Falls in the Clutch and doesn't make the right call when it really matters.

Jason Garrett was much the same way but I learned to admire him after our Jerry Brown incident and how he guided our team through that time where it seemed like our season was lost.

I look back and it reeks of Jerry Jones idea to sign him, JG preaches RKG mentality , we can't have that with a loudmouth coach who isn't RKG himself so how can we expect our players to get that kind of mentality on our defence.

Our defense played exactly how he is as a coach, his defense is shutdown in normal situations but when we REALLY needed him, that moment where everything depends upon his game plan, bam all I see is the opponents offense on our goal-line 5 seconds left in the 4th quarter.

Our players loved him.They loved Wade Philips too. So did the Texan's players. Neither of their teams have gotten far into the playoffs or beat elite teams in the playoffs.

Heres my prediction:

The saints will dominate the regular season. When it comes to the playoffs they will lose round 2. His defenses aren't made for high-stakes situations.

The Saints have a better offense than the 'Boys though. Ryan will not be put in so many 'clutch' situations like with Dallas. All he has to do is hold the opponent to under 28 points. Even the Niners, we can score 28+ on any opponent in the NFL, unless we had a bad day. RR's defense CAN hold the opponent under 28. Also, I trust Sean Payton's judgement more than some people on a forum. If SP liked what he saw, i say give him a shot.

canadaluvsdalla

Location: I state my opinion. You Listen. I won't change my stance.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
canadaluvsdalla wrote:

Heres my prediction:

The Saints have a better offense than the 'Boys though. Ryan will not be put in so many 'clutch' situations like with Dallas. All he has to do is hold the opponent to under 28 points. Even the Niners, we can score 28+ on any opponent in the NFL, unless we had a bad day. RR's defense CAN hold the opponent under 28. Also, I trust Sean Payton's judgement more than some people on a forum. If SP liked what he saw, i say give him a shot.

Thats the thing about the NFL. It's a copycat league especially during the game.

If Drew Brees is Airing it out starting from the first quarter of course teams feel like they need to match the airshow. They aren't holding back, THATS when Rob Ryan fails. In a defensive battle game he is at his best but that's not what you get in the playoffs.

On top on that he as aboslutely no answer against physical offenses like the 49ers and the Seahawks.

Trust me we Cowboys fans were in denial of this when the browns fans told us. We had to experience it ourselves.

Our defense is miles talented of the Saints and presumably not even close in my regard. Demarcus Ware even though he had double digit sacks had his worst seasons with him.

we have a HoF pass rusher. Two above average CB's 2 stud ILBs. He still couldn't get the job done.

What is the excuse? Honestly? Romo? There wasn't a single game this season I was amazed by his playcalling. It was just a tesatment we got so far with our defensive talent alone.

Dirk Gently on 2012 Cowboys O-line wrote:
I think last year we gave up pressure to 3 jewish ladies from brooklyn.
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom cody wrote:
according to what results? His brother is a good defensive coordinator. Rob is mediocre at best. just like the talent on their defense in New Orleans.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
Harper41

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
tom cody wrote:
according to what results? His brother is a good defensive coordinator. Rob is mediocre at best. just like the talent on their defense in New Orleans.

If this isn't blatant trolling I don't know what is Laughing

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
scar988 wrote:
tom cody wrote:

If this isn't the 1,235,672,126,125,521st time I've told members to PM a moderator if they think someone is trolling rather than deal with it themselves, then it's the 1,235,672,126,125,520th.

And no, it's not trolling. He absolutely is allowed to state his opinion on our defensive talent in a thread about our new defensive coordinator.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
scar988 wrote:
tom cody wrote:

If this isn't the 1,235,672,126,125,521st time I've told members to PM a moderator if they think someone is trolling rather than deal with it themselves, then it's the 1,235,672,126,125,520th.

And no, it's not trolling. He absolutely is allowed to state his opinion on our defensive talent in a thread about our new defensive coordinator.

I'm sorry but randomly inserting "Just like the talent on their defense in New Orleans" at the end of that is just taking a cheap jab at Nawlins, but you're the moderator here so I regress.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
scar988 wrote:
tom cody wrote:

I'm sorry but randomly inserting "Just like the talent on their defense in New Orleans" at the end of that is just taking a cheap jab at Nawlins, but you're the moderator here so I regress.

This is a thread about our defense.

If he thinks our defensive talent is mediocre, he has every right to make that point and he doesn't have to sugar coat it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: