Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Skins looking to sign Orakpo long-term
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Slateman wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:
And when Orakpo doesn't have a huge year? When 2011 is the best he can put up? Is it a good deal then?

The Chiefs didn't get a good deal on Hali. They signed him to a 5/60. That's basically 12 million a year. The vikings signed Allen to a 6/72. 12 million a year.

So what, please tell me, has Orakpo done to be worthy of being paid as much as Jared Allen? We have two years to get a deal done with Orkapo, if the Skins want to keep him. I see no reason to rush in to it with a guy who has now a history of injury to his left pectoral, especially given this team's history with injuries.
what has orakpo done to be worthy of being paid by this organization?

since he's stepped on the field as a washington redskin in 09, he's been the teams second best and second most consistent defender behind only London Fletcher. They need to have an injury clause, just like they are going to have with Fred Davis as well!

And what have been the defensive rankings of these squads?

Efforts need to be made to re-sign Jackson, not sign Orakpo to an extension. We have two more years until we have to worry about him walking.
We get it. You hate Orakpo.

Don't hate him, just don't see the rush to sign him to a long term deal with injury and performance issues.
performance issues?

He's been this teams most consistent pass rusher the past 20 years! My gosh.... Laughing

That's really not saying a whole lot, given this team's pass rushers.

Defense has changed in the last five years. The days of defenses dominating a game are over. What matters most now are defenders who make plays and get turnovers. And that's not Orakpo. He's a good pass rusher. That's fine, but that's also replaceable. Like I said, we have two years of Orakpo. Why rush in to an extension now?
the days of defense dominating are over... You sure about that? The two teams that played in the Super Bowl were there because of how well their defenses played down the stretch.

Orakpo makes as many plays as anyone on our defense.

We can get him at a bargain price that's why.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Slateman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Slateman wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:
And when Orakpo doesn't have a huge year? When 2011 is the best he can put up? Is it a good deal then?

The Chiefs didn't get a good deal on Hali. They signed him to a 5/60. That's basically 12 million a year. The vikings signed Allen to a 6/72. 12 million a year.

So what, please tell me, has Orakpo done to be worthy of being paid as much as Jared Allen? We have two years to get a deal done with Orkapo, if the Skins want to keep him. I see no reason to rush in to it with a guy who has now a history of injury to his left pectoral, especially given this team's history with injuries.
what has orakpo done to be worthy of being paid by this organization?

since he's stepped on the field as a washington redskin in 09, he's been the teams second best and second most consistent defender behind only London Fletcher. They need to have an injury clause, just like they are going to have with Fred Davis as well!

And what have been the defensive rankings of these squads?

Efforts need to be made to re-sign Jackson, not sign Orakpo to an extension. We have two more years until we have to worry about him walking.
We get it. You hate Orakpo.

Don't hate him, just don't see the rush to sign him to a long term deal with injury and performance issues.
performance issues?

He's been this teams most consistent pass rusher the past 20 years! My gosh.... Laughing

That's really not saying a whole lot, given this team's pass rushers.

Defense has changed in the last five years. The days of defenses dominating a game are over. What matters most now are defenders who make plays and get turnovers. And that's not Orakpo. He's a good pass rusher. That's fine, but that's also replaceable. Like I said, we have two years of Orakpo. Why rush in to an extension now?
the days of defense dominating are over... You sure about that? The two teams that played in the Super Bowl were there because of how well their defenses played down the stretch.

Orakpo makes as many plays as anyone on our defense.

We can get him at a bargain price that's why.

Wait ... defenses? What Super Bowl did you watch? Because the one I watched had two teams whose defenses were more bend and but don't break. Baltimore was middle of the road defensively and San Fran couldn't keep anyone under 20 points in the playoffs.

Orakpo does not make as many plays. He's the anti-playmaker. Jackson had more interceptions in one season than Orakpo has in his career. Even returned one for a TD. Jackson has shown he has a nose for the ball, even in limited playing time.

We will not get him at a bargain price, that's incredibly wishful thinking. 5/60 is not bargain, that's market value. THat's also a hefty investment, especially since it will have to be heavily backloaded due to the current cap situation.

He's twice injured the same muscle and had a shoulder injury to go with it the second time around. How about we wait a year and he can show he's healthy and productive? We don't lose anything in the long run. We franchise him and pay him what we'd be paying him anyway. But we get a year to evaluate him.

By y'all's logic, we should have signed Landry to a long term extension in 2010.
Dashing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Dashing wrote:
Why not just trade orakpo and get Phillips who is a FA from SD and sign him . I know it sounds dumb but its smart he is a 3-4 OLB and Orakpo value pretty good and can snatch us a 2nd round pick and give us flexibility to draft a much needed thing in thew 2nd round.

Because I'd rather keep a cheap alternative who still has upside. Orakpo could turn in to the guy we all thought he'd be when he was drafted. He could end up being as good a pass rusher as Tambi Hali or DeMarcus Ware have been.

If he ends up finally putting it together, then by all means, sign him long term. I just don't think it's worth it to do it now and hope he can stay healthy and actually become that star player.
NVM Phillips is 32 i thought he was like 28 .
Dashing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we as fans highly overrated Orakpo and Rob Jackson. Yes I will agree that Orakpo is the better pass rusher how ever Rob is the better playmaker who was 400 less pass rushes than Orakpo.

Honestly and I repeat these guys are 4-3 guys .....we should of thought about getting Kiffin as our 4-3 D and have Raheem back and possibly would of really made our d better. Our pass D sucked but blitzing was our only hope and as evident in the hawks game our DL got dominated and our LB's got mis matched while we couldnt stop the run and why?,,

- our 3-4 DL is not starters and its true
-Our pass rush was not good and our LB's are 4-3 guys .
-We dont have any tacklers other than London who might be gone
-We also Have a sucky D coor.

I mean we finally had blitz alot more LIKE WE SHOULD HAVE the whole time but against a good OL and a mobile QB like wilson it would really caus problems and is why our DL and secondary really needs to improve because face facts our D sucks and might again this year.
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... people really think that Rob Jackson is better than Brian Orakpo?
At anything?

There's a reason that Orakpo was a 1st round selection.
He has played like it, too.

Nobody game plans for Rob Jackson.
Don't take this is a jab at Jackson, either.
I like Rob Jackson.

However, coaches have to prepare to face Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan. Coaches have to consider how to block both. No one is concerned with Rob Jackson.

Whether the Redskins re-sign Orakpo, now or later, I think it's a priority.
This team isn't even sure that London Fletcher will return for another season.

Trying to replace Fletcher and Orakpo in a span of two season is a bit much. This team isn't far off from being a threat in the playoffs. A healthy Orakpo and an improved secondary would have really helped this team in 2012-2013. I want to see the team improve the secondary via draft/FA and watch them at full strength...
DCRED

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Taylor wrote:
At anything?

I like Rob Jackson.

However, coaches have to prepare to face Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan. Coaches have to consider how to block both. No one is concerned with Rob Jackson.

Trying to replace Fletcher and Orakpo in a span of two season is a bit much. This team isn't far off from being a threat in the playoffs. A healthy Orakpo and an improved secondary would have really helped this team in 2012-2013. I want to see the team improve the secondary via draft/FA and watch them at full strength...

Preach On, Man, Preach On Laughing
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
S. Taylor wrote:
At anything?

I like Rob Jackson.

this! I quit replying to Slateman and dashing because I just couldn't take it anymore. It's always great to read S.Taylor's post, he just tells it like it is! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
this! It's always great to read S.Taylor's post, he just tells it like it is! Laughing

I know, right. For some reason the
Quote:
Nobody gameplans for Rob Jackson
had me lmao
KERRAKPO9891

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We definitely need to lock up Rack with a long term contract ASAP. I have a strong feeling he is going to DOMINATE next season!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUc3UL64f0 Beast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkBVORdzY78 Rak City
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/02/25/with-injured-players-returning-redskins-run-defense-should-be-strong/

With Carriker and Orakpo returning from injury, the run D should be even stronger next year.

Quote:
...the Redskins’ front seven should return intact if they can retain restricted free agent Rob Jackson and if captain London Fletcher eschews retirement. The inside linebacker, who turns 38 in May, finished 2012 strong with 67 tackles, four interceptions and two sacks during the seven-game winning streak which clinched the NFC East title despite being limited in practice by a sprained ankle.

Outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan, who lines up to Fletcher’s left in coordinator Jim Haslett’s 3-4, was chosen for the Pro Bowl in just his second season. Inside linebacker Perry Riley made 129 tackles (just 10 fewer than Fletcher’s team-leading total) in his first full season as a starter. Like Kerrigan, Riley is just 24 and should be far from his peak.

Up front, left end Adam Carriker, who posted a career-high five and a half sacks in 2011, should also be ready to practice this spring after going down with a torn quadriceps in the same game as Orakpo. Jarvis Jenkins, 24, who replaced Carriker last season will battle him to start in 2013. Right end Stephen Bowen, who’ll be 29 next month, is also back as is nose tackle Barry Cofield, who’s nine days older than Bowen and who was credited with a team-high 35 quarterback pressures while leading the defensive line with 36 tackles.

Dashing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK look we shouldn't re-sign Rob jackson if he is expensive and believe me Slateman and me led the charge on the jackson vs Sackpo debate but I saw enough games to put it like this.

Better pass rusher -Orakpo no debate

Better run stopper- Rob jackson

Better cover LB- Rob Jackson

Better play maker- Rob Jackson

Better game planned - Orakpo

Better potentials- Orakpo

Im sorry Rob jackson has 3 key things you need in the NFL and if I herd right Jackson rushed the passer 400 times but its obvious his pass rushing skills was not all that.

Truthfully IDK how will handle Orakpo but IMO if im the GM you have to pick which one can bring you the important part which is PLAY MAKING abilitys and while both are you its a tough question. Orakpo a hard worker but if we can fetch a 2nd for him and re-sign Jackson who I think will be cheaper than Orakpo than sadly thats what you do , Rob Jackson can work on his pass rushing skills in the off-season and hope it gets better but that 2nd can really help us in getting a CB or safety or another need.

We cant keep both because when Orakpo on the field Robs never on the field EVER ! so pick . Be realistic fellas that 2nd for Sackpo and Rob would be smart considering robs young and possibly can make his pass rushing skills better . But than again im over looking orakpos better run stopping skills .

Its a tough choice but I think we keep Rob Jackson and groom him and get him a personal pass rushing trainer and work on his swift moves and he'll have alot of tools of being a play making OLB . Orakpo is also injury prone and likely more expansive so it comes down to this.

Can Jackson improve if Pass rushing skills? or can Orakpo stay healthy ,get his contract and risk losing a 9-11 sack OLB ?

Its really about turn overs and money IMO .
Dashing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
DCRED wrote:
S. Taylor wrote:
At anything?

I like Rob Jackson.

this! I quit replying to Slateman and dashing because I just couldn't take it anymore. It's always great to read S.Taylor's post, he just tells it like it is! Laughing

I just starded talking about Orakpo again since months lol and I dont even hate him i would like him back but hes injury prone and probably asking for alot of money .
MKnight82

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
OK look we shouldn't re-sign Rob jackson if he is expensive and believe me Slateman and me led the charge on the jackson vs Sackpo debate but I saw enough games to put it like this.

Im sorry Rob jackson has 3 key things you need in the NFL and if I herd right Jackson rushed the passer 400 times but its obvious his pass rushing skills was not all that.

Truthfully IDK how will handle Orakpo but IMO if im the GM you have to pick which one can bring you the important part which is PLAY MAKING abilitys and while both are you its a tough question. Orakpo a hard worker but if we can fetch a 2nd for him and re-sign Jackson who I think will be cheaper than Orakpo than sadly thats what you do , Rob Jackson can work on his pass rushing skills in the off-season and hope it gets better but that 2nd can really help us in getting a CB or safety or another need.

We cant keep both because when Orakpo on the field Robs never on the field EVER ! so pick . Be realistic fellas that 2nd for Sackpo and Rob would be smart considering robs young and possibly can make his pass rushing skills better . But than again im over looking orakpos better run stopping skills .

Its a tough choice but I think we keep Rob Jackson and groom him and get him a personal pass rushing trainer and work on his swift moves and he'll have alot of tools of being a play making OLB . Orakpo is also injury prone and likely more expansive so it comes down to this.

Can Jackson improve if Pass rushing skills? or can Orakpo stay healthy ,get his contract and risk losing a 9-11 sack OLB ?

So in the free agent thread you want us to improve our pass rush yet here you want us to trade away our best pass rusher. I don't understand your logic.
lavar703

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Dashing wrote:

So in the free agent thread you want us to improve our pass rush yet here you want us to trade away our best pass rusher. I don't understand your logic.

Ah but you're assuming he is using logic....
KERRAKPO9891

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:

In this post you state that Jackson is a better run stopper, and then turn around and say that Orakpo is?

Regardless, Orakpo is the better player period. He was looking good in pass coverage in limited action last season. He dropped a pick, I forget if it was against the Saints or Rams? But overall he looked good in that department. As far as pass rushing, Orakpo is far and away better, and I believe will solidify himself as one of the leagues best pass rushers over the next few seasons. Orakpo also has potential for being a better play maker than Jackson, considering Orakpo will get to the QB more, he will get more forced fumbles. Although Rak does need to improve his hands to catch the interceptions that are thrown his way. Orakpo also has more potential to be a better run stopper than Jackson, Rak is as strong as an ox and can hold the point of attack well and take on blockers with his strength.

Overall, Orakpo > Jackson

EDIT: Also, you keep saying Jackson is young, but he is actually almost a year older than Rak.

Last edited by KERRAKPO9891 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: