Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Skins looking to sign Orakpo long-term
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCRED

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Skins looking to sign Orakpo long-term Reply with quote

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/02/06/la-canfora-skins-likely-to-lock-up-orakpo-long-term/

OK so the injuries worry me a bit, but Rak will work hard as anyone to get back on the field I believe...
And I hope we do this because we did see a D that missed his presence out there and has potential with him, Neild and others back, and a revamped secondary
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Damn, I posted this yesterday but then as I was hitting submit, my phone died and I guess it never registered. Anyways, I agree with you DCRED, I'm concerned about the injuries but his importance to this teams defense is immense. I believe that he kind of rushed back last year as it was only 8 months from his surgery till he was playing again, that's similar to what D'Qwell Jackson did when he tore it, then came back too quickly and tore it the next year.

This time around Rack will have 11 months of recovery till he has to play in a regular season game in September.

I believe he will be fine moving forward, return to his Pro bowl form, just as D Jackson has done the past few years since he tore his pec two years in a row.

I also agree once we have Orakpo, Carriker, Meriweather and Neild back healthy with an upgrade at FS our D should be slkid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Slateman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh ... that's just speculation
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Laughing don't cry about it. You're just mad because we're looking to extend your least favorite player on the team. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Slateman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:
Laughing don't cry about it. You're just mad because we're looking to extend your least favorite player on the team. Laughing

I mean it's not official. It's a reporter guessing.

And he's not my least favorite player
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Slateman wrote:

I mean it's not official. It's a reporter guessing.

And he's not my least favorite player
while true, the importance of having Orakpo and Carriker on our D became evident right away when they were both injured last year. It especially affected our pass rush. I to think they will make every opportunity to sign Orakpo long term, it's good for him and great for us.

With Orakpo and Carriker healthy in 2011 we were tied for 10th in the NFL in sacks- 41 sacks.

With Orakpo and Carriker injuried in 2012 we were tied for 23rd in sacks- 32 sacks.

Those #s speak for themselves.
Dashing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait next year too see . IMO i wouldnt re-sign him intill i see if he can play at his same extact level.
footy_29

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they can manage it with the salary cap, I would absolutely sign Orakpo now. Giving him an extension with a signing bonus would add little impact to this year's cap, and overall give him less money than he would sign for next year.

Yes, there is a chance that he is injured again next year and damaging his perceived value. However, if he returns and has the kind of production I think he will, he's going to get a monster deal (ie. Tamba Hali contract at minimum 5yr/60MM).

Sign him to an extension before the draft - needs to be done.
Dashing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
If they can manage it with the salary cap, I would absolutely sign Orakpo now. Giving him an extension with a signing bonus would add little impact to this year's cap, and overall give him less money than he would sign for next year.

Yes, there is a chance that he is injured again next year and damaging his perceived value. However, if he returns and has the kind of production I think he will, he's going to get a monster deal (ie. Tamba Hali contract at minimum 5yr/60MM).

Id wait for next year honestly because of his shoulder . I did miss Orakpo despite my hate i had for him early last year we did need his pass rushing skills .
Slateman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:

If the minimum is 5/60, then pass. Orakpo has done nothing to show he's worth that kind of money.

Hali had just come off a 14.5 sack season where he had been dominate most of the season. Orakpo has done nothing like that and, until he does, it would be a waste of money to give him that kind of contract. Hali is also a better linebacker, overall, than Orakpo.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
footy_29 wrote:

Id wait for next year honestly because of his shoulder . I did miss Orakpo despite my hate i had for him early last year we did need his pass rushing skills .

Remember, if you wait, the price can skyrocket. Think about whether the Ravens wished they had signed Joe Flacco before now.
footy_29

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
footy_29 wrote:

If the minimum is 5/60, then pass. Orakpo has done nothing to show he's worth that kind of money.

Hali had just come off a 14.5 sack season where he had been dominate most of the season. Orakpo has done nothing like that and, until he does, it would be a waste of money to give him that kind of contract. Hali is also a better linebacker, overall, than Orakpo.

No, he's really not. Hali is relatively one dimensional - he's a better pass rusher.

Orakpo is one of the only elite talents on this team at a very important position. He's going to be costly, which is why you sign him in the next two months.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta agree with Footy and woz, it makes a lot of sense to extend him now coming off his injury because we can get him at a more affordable price. It's going to cost us a fortune if we wait and he has another pro bowl year with double digit sacks.
Slateman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
Slateman wrote:
footy_29 wrote:

No, he's really not. Hali is relatively one dimensional - he's a better pass rusher.

Orakpo is one of the only elite talents on this team at a very important position. He's going to be costly, which is why you sign him in the next two months.

Hali is nope one dimensional than Orakpo.

I highly doubt Orakpo takes chump change going in to a contract year. He would be beyond foolish to do that.

Wait, make Orakpo prove he's worth the money. If he is, we can tag him. If not, let him walk. Right now, Orakpo's salary is very cap friendly. Any new deal would end up increasing it.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Hali is nope one dimensional than Orakpo.

If we accept this assertion, then wouldn't it stand that Hali's contract would be a comparable one for Orakpo if he's going to be entering free agency next year?

Quote:
I highly doubt Orakpo takes chump change going in to a contract year. He would be beyond foolish to do that.

No one said chump change. Below market value is still very good money.

Quote:
Wait, make Orakpo prove he's worth the money. If he is, we can tag him. If not, let him walk.

Franchise tag this year looks to be around $9.5M. That's somewhat expensive for one player (around 8% of the total cap value). Depending on what happens with guys like Kruger, it could go up.

So, what if he proves he's worth the money? Now instead of getting him at a Hali deal, you're looking at a possible Jared Allen or Julius Peppers deal.

Alternatively, you let him walk ... and then what? Who replaces him? Rob Jackson? I'm not even sure he's going to be here this year, much less next.

Quote:
Right now, Orakpo's salary is very cap friendly. Any new deal would end up increasing it.

Why? There are plenty of extensions that give the team a friendly cap number in the first year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: