Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

J-Deere's Bengals Draft Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: J-Deere's Bengals Draft Mock Reply with quote

1. Kevin Minter MLB LSU

2. Chase Thomas OLB Stanford

2. Andre Ellington RB Clemson

3. Shawn Williams S Georgia

4. Khaled Holmes C USC

5. Sio Moore OLB Connecticut

6. Nathan Williams DE/OLB Ohio State

6. Michael Ford RB LSU

6 (Comp just a guess)- Rod Sweeting CB Georgia Tech

UDFA-
Dayne Crist QB Kansas

Montel Harris RB Temple

Lucas Reed TE New Mexico State

Duron Carter WR Florida Atlantic

Mark Harrison WR Rutgers

Jeff Nady OT Nevada

Dan Giordano DE Cincinnati

Moe Lee CB Utah

John Boyett S Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I like it, I question some of the values, but that is largely my personal opinion. Obviously a lot is dependent upon free agency, but this is overall solid.

Minter in round one, to me, is a slight reach. I know the consensus has him in that late one are, but to me he's more of a second rounder. I love his ability in the run game, he's assignment sound, stout build, good lower body strength, understands gap control and is capable of disengaging blocks. But with that said, I see some limitations. In coverage he's physical, doesn't let receivers cross his face easily on those shallow cross/pick routes, which is good but he's a stiff athlete who is very straight line-ish and doesn't move laterally particularly well. I question how good he'll be in coverage in the NFL because of those limitations, and the fact he isn't a really comfortable player in space.

Chase Thomas is another interesting guy to look at. I think he's a reach in the second round, personally he's a fourth rounder. Doesn't mean he's not a good prospect. He does some things well, what stands out is his versatility and violent hands. He lines up all over, and personally I think his best fit is as a 3-4 ILB. Doesn't have great bend/flexibility off the edge, very limited athletically but technically he's solid - very good against the run, assignment sound, surprising strength. Still not gonna change directions really well and he is going to be at a severe disadvantage at the next level because of his limitations as a stiff athlete who is kinda a tweener.

Shawn Williams is a solid round three pick, maybe a little high but he's a very good in the box safety, fits pretty well with our scheme. Holmes isn't as much of a mauler, he's struggled against the bigger defensive tackles, doesn't have elite functional strength but in round four he's a pretty good pick. Obviously I love Ellington. Sio Moore is a star, in round five he's a steal. I think he's worth a second rounder. Long athlete, really good pass rusher, comfortable in coverage too. I think he can play anywhere from SLB to WLB, he's that versatile. Steal if he slips that far, which may be possible - though I don't expect it.

I'm not a big fan of Michael Ford, but he is a solid return man if nothing else. Nathan Williams too has some questions, never seemed 100% the same after that serious microfracture injury, and kinda a tweener - but in the sixth it's low risk. Sweeting is very good.

UDFA's are solid, although I wouldn't take a chance on Duron Carter. Mark Harrison is gonna blow up the combine (I think) so I don't expect him to make it to UDFA, but if he's there it's a great pickup. Giordano is solid too. Hate Crist, got benched at Kansas this year, lost his job at ND too. I'd rather take a higher reward UDFA like say Alex Carder (if he makes it there) or Ryan Griffin.

I like the draft overall, but what I'd say is I don't think we can afford to wait until the sixth round to take a RB, though this is a deep class. I'd prefer even taking two backs, one in the late rounds and one in the 2-4 round range.

Solid overall, I'd be happy with it on draft day. I might personally do things different, but I wouldn't be disappointed with this.
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did take a RB early in Ellington

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chase Thomas is more of a 3-4 pass rushing OLB and the Bengals run a 4-3. And going LB with the 1st two picks would be a mistake, the Bengals have burfict and probably Lawson who is good. With only need one more LB, I cant see them taking an ILB and keeping Burfict on the outside. The Bengals should go either bpa or take a S OLB or WR in the 1st round, whichever has the best value at the time.

*Edit* 4 LB overall.. why?

Last edited by BengalsEra on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think Lawson is good?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he was the best LB on the team in 2011
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BengalsEra wrote:

Personally I would let both Maualuga and Lawson go

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
BengalsEra wrote:

Personally I would let both Maualuga and Lawson go

Maualuga sure, Lawson no.
sparky151

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd let Maualuga and Lawson walk and offer Howard a 1 year vet min deal. I'd also offer Skuta a budget deal too. With Burfict able to play inside or out, we could take the best LB available. We should look at LBs in free agency too. I'd like Larry Grant of SF who is stuck behind several studs but has played well in limited time.
ark23

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
i did take a RB early in Ellington
Whoops haha dunno how that slipped when I mentioned him too.

Definitely a fan the. I value Minter and Thomas lower but the overall draft is solid. My one concern would be that neither Minter nor Thomas are comfortable in coverage. With that said a LB group of Minter/Burfict/Sio Moore would be an upgrade. For sure.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: J-Deere's Bengals Draft Mock Reply with quote

1. Kevin Minter MLB LSU I like Minter at this point, depending on who else is available

2. Chase Thomas OLB Stanford Not a fan. Not a 4-3 player.

2. Andre Ellington RB Clemson Love it

3. Shawn Williams S Georgia Love it.

4. Khaled Holmes C USC[/size] How many centers do we need? He's not a difference maker, but OK.

5. Sio Moore OLB Connecticut Dude is a baller. Love it.

6. Nathan Williams DE/OLB Ohio State[/size] OK

6. Michael Ford RB LSU[/size]

Overall I like it, but an mnot enamored with it. Can't see us not taking any WRs. I actually would be OK with taking Bernard instead of Thomas and still taking Ellington. If Tavarres King made it to our fourth rounder, I'd do backflips.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall a solid draft. I don't love Thomas, but it's solid

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Jason_Bengal_Fl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't need that many LBs.

Duron Carter? Seriously?
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason_Bengal_Fl wrote:

Duron Carter? Seriously?

I disagree about our need at LB. If we dont bring back Rey Maualuga, Manny Lawson, and if Thomas Howard, thats a serious need. Look at our current LBers, I'd say that is a need.

as for Carter as a UDFA? Our team does this kind of thing all the time. Bring in troubled UDFAs so they can either score big or cut them

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
Jason_Bengal_Fl wrote:

Duron Carter? Seriously?

I disagree about our need at LB. If we dont bring back Rey Maualuga, Manny Lawson, and if Thomas Howard, thats a serious need. Look at our current LBers, I'd say that is a need.

as for Carter as a UDFA? Our team does this kind of thing all the time. Bring in troubled UDFAs so they can either score big or cut them

But there's still Moch, Maybin, Rey (RFA) and the dude just out of jail, so I don't think we need that many. Moore is a great pick, so don't lose him in the wash.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: