Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Anquan Boldin says he will retire from NFL if Ravens cut him
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 38455
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Anquan Boldin says he will retire from NFL if Ravens cut him Reply with quote

Quote:
Anquan Boldin just told me he will RETIRE if he is cut by the Ravens. They will be his last team. #NFL #Profootballtalk


https://twitter.com/eknbc/statuses/299965187769901056

I suppose this means he will be willing to agree to a pay-cut if the Ravens ask him what he prefers, pay-cut or release.
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coordinator0


Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 7007
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the third option is more likely - an extension.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8179
Location: MD
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know they just won the SB, but there's been a lot of love for the organization coming from various players as of late... Flacco, Jones, Boldin, Reed, etc.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 27609
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
I know they just won the SB, but there's been a lot of love for the organization coming from various players as of late... Flacco, Jones, Boldin, Reed, etc.
Yeah, it's been really refreshing. Those days when people claimed every Raven secretly wanted to be traded to the Jets to play for Rex Ryan seem so very long ago now...

I honestly felt kind of bad watching Jacoby on Kimmel because he's got such charisma, will forever be a Super Bowl hero, and clearly loves playing for the Ravens, but we may have gotten a 2010 Billy Cundiff-type year out of him where we played with fire without getting burned and would be making a mistake to go another round with it. He's the only guy where if he's not a Raven next year, it's because we don't want him, which would stink for him.

Anyways, definitely good news to hear. I'm hoping they give Boldin a 1 or 2 year extension and lower the cap hit. Definitely seems like a a strong possibility.

He loves playing for us, Ozzie loves him, and Flacco loves throwing to him. Boldin's never been a guy who has been short on confidence; I think he sees what he and Joe were able to do together after Cam was fired and knows that if Joe has really taken 'the leap,' then things are only going to get better for him as well. No reason he wouldn't want to be a part of that and also potentially make a push for HoF credentials if they really tear it up.
_________________
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 20293
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this most definitely opens the door for Q to adjust his contract and stay. I think we most definitely want to keep him, and he likely wants to stay, and clearly it's not about the money if he's coming out and saying essentially "If it's not here, it's not anywhere". Very nice to hear.

I think we'll extend him another year or two for a low price and lower the cap number overall, and I think it sounds like he'd be open to that.
_________________


^ I don't quite get why simon made this my losing sig about the Chiefs. I don't think I've made a single post in this forum.

XBL GT: kanxalanx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StRawz11


Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 3649
Location: Not in Pittsburgh
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to resign Flacco (obviously), but he'll also need WRs to throw to. Who's he going to throw to next year if Boldin and Jones are both gone? Torrey, Rice, and Pitta are the only 3 viable candidates currently on the team.

I dont expect Jones AND Boldin to be gone though. Hopefully theyre both back
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mancunian Raven


Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 1887
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So hopefully this means Q will be a Raven next year. If you're signing your QB to a huge new contract, it really does make sense to keep his favourite targets on the team.

Boldin makes Flacco look good, even on the 'throw it up and pray' passes, and receivers with that sort of ability are not easy to find.

Extend his contract, lower his cap number, everyone's a winner.

They should be able to do the same with Jacoby, as he seems to value his spot on this roster very highly as well. Perhaps those years in Houston have taught him that money isn't much good if you're not happy when you go to work.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diamondbull424


Moderator
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 12773
Location: Baltimore, MD
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree that this news is refreshing. Boldin is going to be extended. There's no question in my mind about that. His game isn't one where age should really affect him too much as he's never been a fast/speed kind of guy. He just beats corners with his physicality and strength. He's also a leader on our offense. He's the guy that will speak up and call players out when necessary. Joe Flacco isn't that kind of leader and while Rice gets a lot of talk as being a leader, I've just never felt that his leadership was 'believable'. He's always struck me as a guy who you hear talking, whereas Boldin is a guy that you 'feel' talking. Same with Flacco... you feel him, but he doesn't speech up very often. So I think extending Boldin will be key.

I said this just a few days ago, but there's a shot that Boldin retires- as a Raven- in the same mold as Mason retired as a Raven. Well I think this just about makes that a certainty. Boldin has already won a ring with the Ravens and while his stats have dipped here... if he and Flacco can really start going, he now is back on track to a HOF career like BTerp said. It may not be possible, but if he's going to make a run at it, this is probably his best opportunity to get it done.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dcfields


Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 676
Location: Coral Springs, FL
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
His game isn't one where age should really affect him too much as he's never been a fast/speed kind of guy. He just beats corners with his physicality and strength.


I agree, DB. And while his production isn't what it was in Arizona, one could also postulate that he isn't as worn down as most 34 year old receivers.

Winning a title will earn a few hometown discounts. How many remains to be seen.

I estimate Flacco's contract to be somewhere around $17.2m/yr. That's the guy that needs to take a hometown discount. Hopefully, he realizes that a huge cap figure (>$18m/yr.) will handcuff the Ravens for the length of the deal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bmorecareful


Joined: 09 Feb 2007
Posts: 548
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Q comes back he could be in for a huge year. The redzone has been his best friend and Flacco finally seems like he has his strengths figured out. Q isn't big on separation but his strong hands and physical style is great for the well placed jump ball which Flacco seems to have mastered out of nowhere lol. I expect turnover on Defense but offensively I hope we keep the unit in tact. I'm looking forward to seeing this balanced Caldwell attack and the utilization of all off our weapons.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kmvoss


Joined: 27 Aug 2010
Posts: 2223
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be very sad if he isn't a Raven on opening day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 27609
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
Boldin makes Flacco look good, even on the 'throw it up and pray' passes, and receivers with that sort of ability are not easy to find.


I really hate this characterization of what goes on, and I see it a lot.

Yeah, Boldin makes a lot of tough catches in traffic. It seems like every time Joe throws to Boldin in traffic, someone says that he's just getting lucky throwing jump balls to Boldin that work out. But the truth is, if Joe didn't throw to Boldin in those situations, he would never throw to Boldin, because Boldin is never open. He's got incredibly strong hands and is one of the most physical receivers out there, but against press coverage his route running rarely frees him and he doesn't have the speed to create separation downfield.

Joe and Boldin have a great rapport on those back shoulder fades, among other things, and they use them well. The Super Bowl is only the latest example. That third and inches audible by Flacco ranks as one of the gutsiest calls in our franchise's history as it stands right now. Boldin made a hell of a grab.

But to me, those plays where Boldin is blanketed and still makes a catch are as much a testament to Joe Flacco as they are to Boldin. His ball placement is good enough to fit it into Boldin's window even when there isn't a real window. In every other case, this is a quarterback making a tough throw, yet with Flacco it seems like some people (not saying you necessarily) want to act like it's just Boldin making him look good. The fact that Flacco is able to consistently throw bullets 15-25 yards down the field into Boldin's hands when he's created little to no separation is a testament to Joe's arm as much as anything else.

Boldin has got a lot of strengths and I definitely want him back, but I don't agree that he makes Joe look better than he is. It's a symbiotic relationship. Joe makes Boldin look better than he is just as much by getting him the ball even when he can't get open, and Boldin returns the favor by having the toughness to make those catches in traffic. If those two didn't have the trust in each other that they do to make those pass attempts in traffic, then there would be no throws at all, because Boldin just doesn't create much separation anymore. That's what trust between a quarterback and a receiver is, and Boldin and Flacco have it.
_________________
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mancunian Raven


Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 1887
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
Boldin makes Flacco look good, even on the 'throw it up and pray' passes, and receivers with that sort of ability are not easy to find.


I really hate this characterization of what goes on, and I see it a lot.

Yeah, Boldin makes a lot of tough catches in traffic. It seems like every time Joe throws to Boldin in traffic, someone says that he's just getting lucky throwing jump balls to Boldin that work out. But the truth is, if Joe didn't throw to Boldin in those situations, he would never throw to Boldin, because Boldin is never open. He's got incredibly strong hands and is one of the most physical receivers out there, but against press coverage his route running rarely frees him and he doesn't have the speed to create separation downfield.

Joe and Boldin have a great rapport on those back shoulder fades, among other things, and they use them well. The Super Bowl is only the latest example. That third and inches audible by Flacco ranks as one of the gutsiest calls in our franchise's history as it stands right now. Boldin made a hell of a grab.

But to me, those plays where Boldin is blanketed and still makes a catch are as much a testament to Joe Flacco as they are to Boldin. His ball placement is good enough to fit it into Boldin's window even when there isn't a real window. In every other case, this is a quarterback making a tough throw, yet with Flacco it seems like some people (not saying you necessarily) want to act like it's just Boldin making him look good. The fact that Flacco is able to consistently throw bullets 15-25 yards down the field into Boldin's hands when he's created little to no separation is a testament to Joe's arm as much as anything else.

Boldin has got a lot of strengths and I definitely want him back, but I don't agree that he makes Joe look better than he is. It's a symbiotic relationship. Joe makes Boldin look better than he is just as much by getting him the ball even when he can't get open, and Boldin returns the favor by having the toughness to make those catches in traffic. If those two didn't have the trust in each other that they do to make those pass attempts in traffic, then there would be no throws at all, because Boldin just doesn't create much separation anymore. That's what trust between a quarterback and a receiver is, and Boldin and Flacco have it.


Yeah, I'm not talking about all of Boldin's catches. I'm talking about the ones that honestly shouldn't be completed.

Two spring to mind immediately. The one in the Super Bowl where Joe was flushed out of the pocket and being chased by Ahmad Brooks, and just lofted the ball downfield. That was a busted play, and Boldin was there to make the catch when most receivers wouldn't have.

Same as one against Denver (I think) where Joe threw it downfield in similar fashion, and looked like Torrey was his main target. Torrey was covered and didn't get anywhere near it but Boldin went up, between two DBs, and took that ball.

I'm also not downplaying Flacco's ability to see those possibilities and make the throws. He knows Boldin, knows what he can do, and that gives him more leeway when making passes to him. Without Boldin, Joe wouldn't make some of those throws at all.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spiritoftruth


Joined: 22 Nov 2006
Posts: 2161
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one where it looked like it was intended for Smith and Boldin grabbed it out of nowhere was against the Colts I think.

I worry that with the throw down the middle of the endzone from Flacco to Boldin working so well, teams will start to take vicious shots at Boldin whenever they see him going down the middle, and he'll pay the price like he did against the Jets that one time.
_________________

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
draftguru1234


Joined: 09 Feb 2011
Posts: 549
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiritoftruth wrote:
The one where it looked like it was intended for Smith and Boldin grabbed it out of nowhere was against the Colts I think.

I worry that with the throw down the middle of the endzone from Flacco to Boldin working so well, teams will start to take vicious shots at Boldin whenever they see him going down the middle, and he'll pay the price like he did against the Jets that one time.

Except Boldin isn't a scrub who can't protect himself.

Q is like that big RB, defenders just want to take down. Dude is built like a tank.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group