Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Garrett here FOR-EV-ER, Kiffen, Romo, Free Agency
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Garrett here FOR-EV-ER, Kiffen, Romo, Free Agency Reply with quote

Quote:
I saw things in our head coach that really give me a lot of promise for not only 2013 but for years to come,” Jones said, via the Dallas Morning News. “I’m excited about Jason Garrett.”

Dallas fired several assistant coaches after the season and hired several new ones, and Jones also said that it was Garrett who made the decisions on the Cowboys’ coaching staff shakeup.

“He did the evaluations,” Jones said. “He basically said, ‘Jerry here’s who I want to get.’”

Jones said it was “pretty expensive” to buy out the contracts of the fired assistants and then hire new assistants, but he believes it was worth it. And he believes he won’t have to buy out a contract of a head coach in a year.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/08/jerry-jones-sees-jason-garrett-staying-for-years-to-come/

Quote:
We were really fortunate to be able to get Monte Kiffin,” Garrett said. “To have the opportunity to have him on staff here to run our defense is really a great opportunity for the Cowboys.”

Garrett said when the Cowboys were evaluating their roster at the end of the season they tried to determine if the current personnel could transition into a 4-3 base defense. Once they figured out that it was possible, Garrett said Kiffin became their choice to lead the way.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/02/jason-garrett-cowboys-really-fortunate-to-hire-monte-kiffin-to-complete-philosophical-change.html/

Quote:
So the big question is “what’s Romo’s market value?” Well, in 2012 Romo posted 0.14 EPA/play, tied with Andrew Luck and Eli Manning for 13th in the NFL. That number is down from the 0.19 EPA/play Romo recorded in 2011, but up from 0.13 EPA/play in 2010. Thus, Romo’s 0.14 EPA/play is probably a pretty accurate representation of his “value” in concrete terms.

Want to know what the going rate is for a quarterback coming off of a season in which he posted 0.14 EPA/play? Simply follow the black line on the graph. The answer is $13 million per season. Yes, coming off of a season similar to what Romo just had, NFL quarterbacks have recently signed deals in the neighborhood of $13 million per year.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-JonathanBales/Running-the-Numbers-How-Much-Money-Is-Tony-Romo-Worth/7f600357-c21d-48a9-b1e0-ca2579dcf0f6

Quote:
However, the Cowboys will have the ability to move some money around to not only get under the cap, but possibly have some breathing room to sign a few players.

The Cowboys could cut players like Doug Free and Dan Connor to get about $10 million back on this year’s cap. Restructuring deals for guys like Brandon Carr, DeMarcus Ware, Jason Witten and Miles Austin could free up about $15-20 million.

And if Tony Romo gets a new deal this offseason, it would actually save the team a few millions on this year’s cap. (Of course it will be overshadowed by the overall amount of the deal, his lack of playoff success and his age. Still it will be a cap-friendly deal on the short-term.)
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-NickEatman/Eatman-Don%E2%80%99t-Expect-Same-Free-Agency-Splash-As-2012/00d006e2-e929-4637-8820-3dad151664c4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000137115/article/2013-nfl-strength-of-schedule-released

Looks like an easy schedule next year

Quote:
According to Jeff Duncan of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, the cities believed to be interested in hosting the game include New Orleans, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Miami, Minneapolis, and San Francisco.

The fact that some combination of San Fran, Miami, and Houston will be hosting the two Super Bowls preceding the 52nd edition necessarily reduces the pool of candidates to five. Then again, other cities can still get in on the action.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/06/seven-cities-lining-up-to-host-super-bowl-lii/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Garrett here FOR-EV-ER, Kiffen, Romo, Free Agency Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Quote:
I saw things in our head coach that really give me a lot of promise for not only 2013 but for years to come,” Jones said, via the Dallas Morning News. “I’m excited about Jason Garrett.”

Dallas fired several assistant coaches after the season and hired several new ones, and Jones also said that it was Garrett who made the decisions on the Cowboys’ coaching staff shakeup.

“He did the evaluations,” Jones said. “He basically said, ‘Jerry here’s who I want to get.’”

Jones said it was “pretty expensive” to buy out the contracts of the fired assistants and then hire new assistants, but he believes it was worth it. And he believes he won’t have to buy out a contract of a head coach in a year.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/08/jerry-jones-sees-jason-garrett-staying-for-years-to-come/

Quote:
We were really fortunate to be able to get Monte Kiffin,” Garrett said. “To have the opportunity to have him on staff here to run our defense is really a great opportunity for the Cowboys.”

Garrett said when the Cowboys were evaluating their roster at the end of the season they tried to determine if the current personnel could transition into a 4-3 base defense. Once they figured out that it was possible, Garrett said Kiffin became their choice to lead the way.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/02/jason-garrett-cowboys-really-fortunate-to-hire-monte-kiffin-to-complete-philosophical-change.html/

Quote:
So the big question is “what’s Romo’s market value?” Well, in 2012 Romo posted 0.14 EPA/play, tied with Andrew Luck and Eli Manning for 13th in the NFL. That number is down from the 0.19 EPA/play Romo recorded in 2011, but up from 0.13 EPA/play in 2010. Thus, Romo’s 0.14 EPA/play is probably a pretty accurate representation of his “value” in concrete terms.

Want to know what the going rate is for a quarterback coming off of a season in which he posted 0.14 EPA/play? Simply follow the black line on the graph. The answer is $13 million per season. Yes, coming off of a season similar to what Romo just had, NFL quarterbacks have recently signed deals in the neighborhood of $13 million per year.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-JonathanBales/Running-the-Numbers-How-Much-Money-Is-Tony-Romo-Worth/7f600357-c21d-48a9-b1e0-ca2579dcf0f6

Quote:
However, the Cowboys will have the ability to move some money around to not only get under the cap, but possibly have some breathing room to sign a few players.

The Cowboys could cut players like Doug Free and Dan Connor to get about $10 million back on this year’s cap. Restructuring deals for guys like Brandon Carr, DeMarcus Ware, Jason Witten and Miles Austin could free up about $15-20 million.

And if Tony Romo gets a new deal this offseason, it would actually save the team a few millions on this year’s cap. (Of course it will be overshadowed by the overall amount of the deal, his lack of playoff success and his age. Still it will be a cap-friendly deal on the short-term.)
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-NickEatman/Eatman-Don%E2%80%99t-Expect-Same-Free-Agency-Splash-As-2012/00d006e2-e929-4637-8820-3dad151664c4

Ware's current cap numbers for 2014 and 2015 are 15 and 17 mil. Do we want to push them into the 20 mil range, when he will turning 31 this July. I also don't want to give him an extension right now, just so we can free up cap space this year. Who knows how well his body is going to hold up.

Austin is a terrible candidate for restructuring. The bulk of his contract remaining is in salary, and he's had nagging injuries. Don't reward him for that, when he will be 29 in June. The great thing about Austin's contract is that we can release/trade him, and gain cap space.
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't listen to Garrett. Jerry told him to say that. PUPPET

Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope we are Philly's season opener - haha

Sig courtesy of mack.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Garrett here FOR-EV-ER, Kiffen, Romo, Free Agency Reply with quote

[quote="GeneralDissaray"]
Matts4313 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ware's current cap numbers for 2014 and 2015 are 15 and 17 mil. Do we want to push them into the 20 mil range, when he will turning 31 this July. I also don't want to give him an extension right now, just so we can free up cap space this year. Who knows how well his body is going to hold up.

Austin is a terrible candidate for restructuring. The bulk of his contract remaining is in salary, and he's had nagging injuries. Don't reward him for that, when he will be 29 in June. The great thing about Austin's contract is that we can release/trade him, and gain cap space.[/quote]

Anyone still think trading Austin is a terrible idea?
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Garrett here FOR-EV-ER, Kiffen, Romo, Free Agency Reply with quote

Quote:
Austin is a terrible candidate for restructuring. The bulk of his contract remaining is in salary, and he's had nagging injuries. Don't reward him for that, when he will be 29 in June. The great thing about Austin's contract is that we can release/trade him, and gain cap space.[/quote]

Anyone still think trading Austin is a terrible idea?

Uh , not me .
Da Boyz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for dealing him. He is a good WR when healthy but you can't count on him to stay healthy. I would rather part ways, get whatever we can for him, and bring in another vet on the cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Jerry trying to convince himself , Garrett or the fans that Garrett made all the coaching moves ? Everytime a camera or mic is in front of him he spews about it was all Jason.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
Is Jerry trying to convince himself , Garrett or the fans that Garrett made all the coaching moves ? Everytime a camera or mic is in front of him he spews about it was all Jason.

Well...when people keep bringing up how Jerry was the one interfering with Garrett, and how he was setting up a staff to hire Gruden...I think he felt it necessary to set the record straight.

^^^mack
Matts4313

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:

I think he is convincing all the super smart fans who feel he emasculated garret.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:

Or maybe he is telling the truth?

Nah... Rolling Eyes

Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
I really hope we are Philly's season opener - haha

This. THIS. A thousand times this.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Northland

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:

I think he is convincing all the super smart fans who feel he emasculated garret.

None of us will ever know one way or the other whether Jerry or Jason made the moves. At this point who cares? Let's hope these changes help move us forward.
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:

I don't think he has convinced himself. Does he qualify as a supersmart fan ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: