Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

General's Mock after 4-3 conversion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: General's Mock after 4-3 conversion Reply with quote

Released:

Dan Connor 3mil in cap savings
Mackenzy Bernadeau 500k in cap savings
Gerald Sensabaugh 1.4mil in cap savings

Restructured:
Jason Witten-saves approx 3mil in cap space
Brandon Carr-saves approx 10mil in cap space
Tony Romo(extension) saves approx 8mil in cap space

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original picks

Houston trades 1.27(680) +2.25(330)=1010
to Dallas for 1.18(900)+ 4.17(6Cool=968

Houston wants to target speedster WR Cordarrelle Patterson Tennessee

1.27(HOU) Jonathan Cooper, G/C, North Carolina
2.15 Jonathan Cyprien, SS, Florida International
2.25(Hou)

Dallas Trades 2.25(330)
to SF for 3.12(210) + 3.31(116)

San Fran has a ton of picks, and few needs. They move up to grab athletic big man Brandon Williams, NT, Missouri Southern State.

1.27(HOU)------ Jonathan Cooper, G/C, North Carolina
Reasoning: Garrett values Coopers skills and athletic ability, as well as his flexibility to play Guard and Center.
2.15----------- Jonathan Cyprien, SS, Florida International
Reasoning: Tampa 2 Needs safeties that can cover.
3.12(SF)------- Sean Porter, DE/OLB, Texas A&M
Reasoning: Pefect fit with Lee and Carter in 4-3 at OLB.
3.18------------David Quessenberry, OT/G, San Jose State
Reasoning: Another guard with flexibility.
3.31(SF)------- Brennan Williams, OT, North Carolina
Reasoning: Athletic tackle that would be drafted a couple rounds higher, if not for injury. We may have to part with Doug Free after this season.
5.18------------Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon
Reasoning: Big Athletic 6'3" WR dominated very small school. Possible replacement for Austin, should he continue to underperform.
6.17----------- Armonty Bryant, DE, East Central University
Reasoning: Big athletic DE development prospect.

UDFA Signing
Alex Carder QB 24 Western Michigan
Michael Hill RB Missouri Western State
Jake StoneburnerTE Ohio State
Baixis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. No FA signings though? With no signings, I would definitely change up the draft a little.

1. You only took ONE DL, and it was with the very last pick! Not good. We don't need Porter at OLB as bad as we need a DL.
2. You took 3 OL. I think we could get away with 2, especially since you missed on DL.
3. You took another WR. I think we need another RB waaay before another WR.

Now, if you signed 2 FAs, say a DL and a backup RB (Bush, Green, etc), then I could see not drafting any. But without any signings, we HAVE TO draft another RB and a DL (higher than the 6th!).
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baixis wrote:
Not bad. No FA signings though? With no signings, I would definitely change up the draft a little.

1. You only took ONE DL, and it was with the very last pick! Not good. We don't need Porter at OLB as bad as we need a DL.
2. You took 3 OL. I think we could get away with 2, especially since you missed on DL.

Now, if you signed 2 FAs, say a DL and a backup RB (Bush, Green, etc), then I could see not drafting any. But without any signings, we HAVE TO draft another RB and a DL (higher than the 6th!).

I would disagree. I'm feeling okay with an D line of : Crawford - Ratliff - Hatcher - Ware.
Also, Sean Porter is good value in the 3rd imo, and it is possible (and if he's not, another good 4-3 OLB would be avalible most likely). I think it would be hard to find a D line player, who would start on our team in the 3rd. Porter would likely have a bigger impact, then a DE or DT in the 3rd round.

- Not a fan of Quessenberry in the 3rd. And even less a fan of Williams in the 3rd as well. If Quessenberry was changed out with another guard, and Williams with a HB I would be pleased.
Baixis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKDALfan wrote:
Baixis wrote:

I would disagree. I'm feeling okay with an D line of : Crawford - Ratliff - Hatcher - Ware.
Also, Sean Porter is good value in the 3rd imo, and it is possible (and if he's not, another good 4-3 OLB would be avalible most likely). I think it would be hard to find a D line player, who would start on our team in the 3rd. Porter would likely have a bigger impact, then a DE or DT in the 3rd round.

- Not a fan of Quessenberry in the 3rd. And even less a fan of Williams in the 3rd as well. If Quessenberry was changed out with another guard, and Williams with a HB I would be pleased.

I'm actually thinking we will be without Ratliff and Brent and Coleman this year. IF that happens, we need at least one new DL, if not two. Plus, everything I've heard, read, seen, etc has indicated that this is a great draft for OL AND DL. So we SHOULD be able to find a solid contributor, or even a starter, in the 3rd. Plus, if this draft is so good for those two spots, I think it would be a horrible fail to not take advantage of that. We SHOULD come out of this draft with FOUR linemen, period. A FS and RB would be the other options IMO.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baixis wrote:
DKDALfan wrote:
Baixis wrote:

I'm actually thinking we will be without Ratliff and Brent and Coleman this year. IF that happens, we need at least one new DL, if not two. Plus, everything I've heard, read, seen, etc has indicated that this is a great draft for OL AND DL. So we SHOULD be able to find a solid contributor, or even a starter, in the 3rd. Plus, if this draft is so good for those two spots, I think it would be a horrible fail to not take advantage of that. We SHOULD come out of this draft with FOUR linemen, period. A FS and RB would be the other options IMO.

I don't think we will cut Ratliff. He is finally in the defense that is tailored to his talents, and his release would offer little cap relief. He may be suspended for a couple games.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baixis wrote:

I don't think there will be any major free agents for 2 reasons. 1. We are cap strapped, and the guys we could sign with the limited possible cap room probably wouldn't be much if any better than what we already have. I think we sign some backups for depth. 2. I think they are aware that if we sign no major free agents, Spencer and Jenkins departure can result in some comp picks next year.

As far as taking 3 OL. There are a lot of talented Olineman this year. I know everyone wants the perfect draft, where we address every need, but that rarely, if ever happens. I like getting guys with flexibility, and giving us some quality depth in case of injury.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The draft is pretty good. It's a little disappointing that you didn't have us select a single defensive linemen until very late, but the o-line selections are pretty good. Based on your selections, it would most likely place Cooper at Center rather than Guard.

The only change that I think I'd make would be to select either Barrett Jones or Travis Frederick in the 2nd round and look at someone like Baccari Rambo, DJ Swearinger, or Robert Lester in the 4th. This way, we'd still be getting a very viable starting Safety because of how deep the Safety class is as well as two of the 4 best interior offensive linemen in the draft.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Felix=Fast!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you trade away from a high upside player at a position of need, Brandon Williams in return for Sean Porter and David Quessenberry. Never trade away from a player at a position of need to amass more picks

Porter is a backup for us. Can't see him playing SOLB so he'd back up carter. Quessenberry is fun but he is not as much of a player as Brandon Williams

Sean Lee leads the NFL in making David Wilson cry.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix=Fast! wrote:
So you trade away from a high upside player at a position of need, Brandon Williams in return for Sean Porter and David Quessenberry. Never trade away from a player at a position of need to amass more picks

Porter is a backup for us. Can't see him playing SOLB so he'd back up carter. Quessenberry is fun but he is not as much of a player as Brandon Williams

No you think neither Carter nor Porter can play SOLB?
Felix=Fast!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKDALfan wrote:
Felix=Fast! wrote:

Carter is a taylor made Weakside Backer. Porter is 6-2 230lbs on a good day. He is much more of a weak side backer IMO.

GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felix=Fast! wrote:
DKDALfan wrote:
Felix=Fast! wrote:

Carter is a taylor made Weakside Backer. Porter is 6-2 230lbs on a good day. He is much more of a weak side backer IMO.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I thought in the 4-3, both OLB should be able to play either position, so the offense doesn't just move the TE to take advantage? Bruce Carter is 6'2" 240lbs. The average SAM is 6'2" 242lbs. Is there some other reason why he couldn't play that position?

I don't know how Quessenberry is fun. I was just trying to look at value, need, and flexibility. One can't just assume everyone immediately starts. Not to mention, I'd like to have competition at positions across the line, as well as some quality backups. If need be, Cooper could play at center the first year, until he has an offseason to bulk up a little. Quessenberry could compete for the other starting guard position. I think we will give Free one more year to bounce back. Williams would provide some competition and quality depth, if he does bounce back. He should be in position to start by next year, if Free does not bounce back.
sodakcowboy78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

living in a dream world if u think Cooper will be there at 27...not happening

Peace
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sodakcowboy78 wrote:

Peace

So Decastro goes #24 last year, and I'm "living a dream" by thinking Cooper could be there at #27? Widely considered to be the second guard drafted. Do you have anything to back your claim, or do I have to just take your word for it, because you are such an expert. How bout some getting some brain activity going on in your head, and stop stepping and fetching to these supposed experts.......not happening.

Peace sodapop curtis. Say hi to Dally and Ponyboy for me.
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
sodakcowboy78 wrote:

Peace

So Decastro goes #24 last year, and I'm "living a dream" by thinking Cooper could be there at #27? Widely considered to be the second guard drafted. Do you have anything to back your claim, or do I have to just take your word for it, because you are such an expert. How bout some getting some brain activity going on in your head, and stop stepping and fetching to these supposed experts.......not happening.

Peace sodapop curtis. Say hi to Dally and Ponyboy for me.

General what about Dallas Thomas in the 3rd ? He has played against better competition and imo is a better player than Quesenberry.
Felix=Fast!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
Felix=Fast! wrote:
DKDALfan wrote:
Felix=Fast! wrote:

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I thought in the 4-3, both OLB should be able to play either position, so the offense doesn't just move the TE to take advantage? Bruce Carter is 6'2" 240lbs. The average SAM is 6'2" 242lbs. Is there some other reason why he couldn't play that position?

I don't know how Quessenberry is fun. I was just trying to look at value, need, and flexibility. One can't just assume everyone immediately starts. Not to mention, I'd like to have competition at positions across the line, as well as some quality backups. If need be, Cooper could play at center the first year, until he has an offseason to bulk up a little. Quessenberry could compete for the other starting guard position. I think we will give Free one more year to bounce back. Williams would provide some competition and quality depth, if he does bounce back. He should be in position to start by next year, if Free does not bounce back.
So you are saying our team is in a position that we need to Upgrade SOLB bad enough to use a premium pick on the position? If you ask me, Porter is not enough of an upgrade over Albright.

Just dont see the logic of trading away from a guy like Brandon Williams(position of need) to draft a SOLB where we have plenty of depth. If you draft a SOLB with a top 3 rd pick in this draft he had better be a significant upgrade over Albright

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: