Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bjorn Werner 3-4 DE or 3-4 OLB?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fullback40

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Bjorn Werner 3-4 DE or 3-4 OLB? Reply with quote

I love Bjorn Werner and would want him as our pick if we were still running a 4-3. People are now throwing his name around for pick #6, but I just don't know if he could translate to either 3-4 spot.

I'd be much more satisfied with having him play 3-4 DE than 3-4 OLB just because it appears he could add a lot of weight to his frame and be that stack and shed guy. He is JJ Watt-like in that he is a versatile interior defender with length and athleticism.

To me, putting him at OLB would be a major project and would be foolish when guys who may not be better football players but are better scheme fits are there.

Thoughts on Werner's role in this defense?
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4-3 LDE imo

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he compares mroe to chris long than he does J.J. SWATT

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bjorn Werner 3-4 DE or 3-4 OLB? Reply with quote

Fullback40 wrote:
I love Bjorn Werner and would want him as our pick if we were still running a 4-3. People are now throwing his name around for pick #6, but I just don't know if he could translate to either 3-4 spot.

I'd be much more satisfied with having him play 3-4 DE than 3-4 OLB just because it appears he could add a lot of weight to his frame and be that stack and shed guy. He is JJ Watt-like in that he is a versatile interior defender with length and athleticism.

To me, putting him at OLB would be a major project and would be foolish when guys who may not be better football players but are better scheme fits are there.

Thoughts on Werner's role in this defense?

Werner can play ether side in a 34 or 43. A lot of his thrid down or know passing down rushes cam a t point stance. He also has dropped in to zone coverage as a 43 end.

He is a non fit as a 34 DE.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah when they do go to a 4 linemen formation(3rd down), Werner would look nice with Taylor, Wynn and Sheard would look really nice.

PSN: bench515lbs

Ahead of the curve....
roger murdock

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy would be our most dangerous defensive player from day 1 and a terror off the edge as a 3-4 LB. Best prospect in the draft.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:
Guy would be our most dangerous defensive player from day 1 and a terror off the edge as a 3-4 LB. Best prospect in the draft.

Really??

Have you watched any of the FSU games this year? What I watched against major opponents he looked pretty average and nothing like a 34 olb. maybe I watched the wrong games?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
roger murdock wrote:

Really??

Have you watched any of the FSU games this year? What I watched against major opponents he looked pretty average and nothing like a 34 olb. maybe I watched the wrong games?

The guy is ridiculously quick off the snap, fast, good on his feet, and can cover a lot of ground. Not to mention has a lot more power than the other 3-4 LB candidates. He needs work in coverage but all 3-4LBs do, and you dont draft em for coverage. Hes the best pass rusher for a 3-4 LB in this draft.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
roger murdock wrote:

Really??

The guy is ridiculously quick off the snap, fast, good on his feet, and can cover a lot of ground. Not to mention has a lot more power than the other 3-4 LB candidates. He needs work in coverage but all 3-4LBs do, and you dont draft em for coverage. Hes the best pass rusher for a 3-4 LB in this draft.

yup, I must have watched the wrong games then because I saw little of that... What i saw was a good - but vastly over hyped player. Sure he made a few tackles, but nothing out of the ordinary. Plus, looking at his stats against quality opponents it is far from top 5 material.

Looks like he could be a good 43 DE. Id rather take Jenkins at 6 than take Werner at 6...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Jenkins? I like him, but hes a third rounder and Werner won't be on the board at 6.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:
Brandon Jenkins? I like him, but hes a third rounder and Werner won't be on the board at 6.

Is so, Werner will be drafted by a 43 team looking for a DE.

Jenkins is a 3rd rounder because of the injury and missing his senior year. He was projected as a 1st round talent before the injury and is supposed to be healthy at the combine or at the latest his pro day so who knows where he will land at this point. If he is 100% he could easily go in the 1st round as well, and would be a much better fit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenkins was never as good as Werner was the last two seasons and is less athletic. They aren't comparable.

Werner is being downgraded on here because hes big for a 3-4 LB. Hes clearly got the ability and athleticism to handle it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:
Jenkins was never as good as Werner was the last two seasons and is less athletic. They aren't comparable.

Werner is being downgraded on here because hes big for a 3-4 LB. Hes clearly got the ability and athleticism to handle it.

Im not saying anything about his weight, Im saying it because I have watched him play... and I have read the scouting reports and looked at his stats. IMO he is not a 34 OLB, and that opinion carries with most others as well. He is a 43 DE.

Jenkins is was one of the best pass rushers in the country before the lisfranc injury, and is listed by most sites as a 43DE or 34OLB. and played the right often, played standing up, and in coverage... Great athleticism, very fast. He is a much better fit for the Browns defense.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing that really turns me off about werner is that atleast what I saw when he is not readily involved in the play, I saw him jogging alot

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had a thread not long ago where a few of us were watching FSU play and we were all talking about how Werner was playing far below expectations. He is maybe 3-4 tackle and 1-2 sack average per game player in college, and not even against top tier talent.

I would compare him to maybe Matt Roth... and Im being generous with that comparison... not what most of us are looking for.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: