Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

I'll say what no one wants to say - TT is an average GM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: I'll say what no one wants to say - TT is an average GM Reply with quote

cpnesdude41 wrote:
AaronCharles wrote:
I am a troll, Hear me trollllolololollolol

...essentially

trolololol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1orMXD_Ijbs

the ending is exactly how i picture him leaving this thread
persiandud

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is, in 2005, he was smarter than 23 other GMs.
SE500

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is laughable for a number of reasons but most obviously for its lack of comparables. Look around the league, Grasshopper. Every single team's gomer fans cry about their management except for that years Superbowl winner, and you'll find some whining there too!

What are we , 26-6 in the last two years just 2 years removed from a Superbowl?
We were a legit 11-5 or 12-4 team 2 years ago and we went 15-1. We were a lefit 11-5 or 12-4 team last year and in an injury riddled season obtained that. At the least, we will again be an 11-5 or 12-4 team. These teams always have serious shots at a Superbowl.

New England seems to be everybodys holy grail, what has it been? 9 years since they won a Superbowl?

You'll see some long time good teams crash soon, including the Superbowl winner this year. Green Bay won't be one of them. Thompson and company have done a great job.
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I'll say what no one wants to say - TT is an average GM Reply with quote

Guys, keep on topic. Discuss Ted's drafting history, not whether or not the OP is a troll or not. Thanks.

cpnesdude41 wrote:
AaronCharles wrote:
I am a troll, Hear me trollllolololollolol

...essentially

Let's not purposely misquote others. Thanks.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I'll say what no one wants to say - TT is an average GM Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:

Let's purposely misquote others. Thanks.

ok.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I'll say what no one wants to say - TT is an average GM Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
CWood21 wrote:

Let's purposely misquote others. Thanks.

ok.

Hehe. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think another thing that is missed here is some of these teams that have surged lately, the Seahawks, 49ers, Vikings ect. Were teams that were terrible, they had high picks for pretty long periods of time. Lets see how they draft at the bottom 1/3 of the draft. Lets see how these guys handle winning, can't say I am blown away at how the 49ers did at the bottom of the draft last year.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
HokieHigh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reject everything from anyone who claims that Aaron Rodgers was a gimme pick. Confused

While I won't entertain that thought, I would like to give kudos to TT for finding a true QB educator and placing him at the helm. Cool
HokieHigh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the pass/fail model is literally the crudest/worst model you could pick to assess a GM.

Giving TT a "Pass" for Aaron Rodgers' success is like giving Einstein a "Pass" in physics101 for coming up with the theory of relativity.
Pugger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
I think another thing that is missed here is some of these teams that have surged lately, the Seahawks, 49ers, Vikings ect. Were teams that were terrible, they had high picks for pretty long periods of time. Lets see how they draft at the bottom 1/3 of the draft. Lets see how these guys handle winning, can't say I am blown away at how the 49ers did at the bottom of the draft last year.

GMTA Cool

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HokieHigh wrote:
I reject everything from anyone who claims that Aaron Rodgers was a gimme pick. Confused

While I won't entertain that thought, I would like to give kudos to TT for finding a true QB educator and placing him at the helm. Cool

I agree. I was excited when TT actually pulled the trigger (and I never dreamed he'd actually take him there!) but QB wasn't necessarily a need at the time because we still had Favre playing at a high level. I'd wager there were fans in many quarters that were not thrilled that day we didn't get Favre any weapons. Thanks Ted! Cool

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After winning the Super Bowl, I vowed to never question TT again.
I will say that the gap between teams is closing. Part of this is because of the obvious salary cap, but just as big is that teams are placing a premium on the right GM, who has a track record of drafting well. I can remember when the running joke was that the Cincinnati Bengals scouting budget was $4.95, the cost of a Sporting News Draft Magazine. Yes, it was that pitiful. The Dallas Cowboys were the originators of putting a premium on the science of drafting in the 70's and dominated because of it. The 49ers were next, with a combination of drafting and the West Coast system. Some teams are still trying to catch up. Ron Wolf was the one that sunk money into our scouting department.

I think the next hurdle will be how teams can become more than a 'fart in the wind' as Wolf used to say. We are staring down that barrel. Hell, there are already articles out there citing how the 49ers are already in trouble and they haven't won one yet. By the time you can build a team that is Super Bowl worthy, you are also on the verge of losing valuable pieces to the tough decisions of the salary cap.

My original criticisms of TT were that he didn't use all avenues to build this team faster. Don't get your panties in a bundle, I'm not talking about tens of millions in FA. Would the Lynch trade have gotten us a second Super Bowl ? Were there other possible trades we didn't hear about ? Is it worth it to win 2 Super Bowls in 5 years with a down year in between ? Are we stuck in a perpetual vacuum now that we are drafting near the end of each round ? Just good enough for the playoffs, yet can't draft enough blue chippers to win again unless we have a down year ? With more teams creating better scouting staffs, staying on top is a tougher challenge than 5 years ago.

Only time will tell who can stay on top long enough to win multiple Super Bowls. Part of me thinks you have to do all you can to win 2 Super Bowls and immediately prepare to purge your roster or someone is going to pass you up quickly. Who knows ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HokieHigh wrote:
Giving TT a "Pass" for Aaron Rodgers' success is like giving Einstein a "Pass" in physics101 for coming up with the theory of relativity.

To be fair, Special Relativity is really kind of "C" grade work, some talented physicist would have come up with that sooner or later, he was just first.

His Brownian Motion stuff (for which he won the Nobel) probably earns a "B+", but he gets an "A" for General Relativity.
deathstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
HokieHigh wrote:

To be fair, Special Relativity is really kind of "C" grade work, some talented physicist would have come up with that sooner or later, he was just first.

His Brownian Motion stuff (for which he won the Nobel) probably earns a "B+", but he gets an "A" for General Relativity.

And even that ends up being wrong when it comes to the movement of very large and very small objects..
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathstar wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
HokieHigh wrote:

And even that ends up being wrong when it comes to the movement of very large and very small objects..

I think that expecting your theory of physics to have all the answers for every situation when you first write it is like expecting your first round draft pick to end up in the hall of fame before he's played a down.

Superstring Theory is the Jamarcus Russell of physics.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: