Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What do we do at S
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: What do we do at S Reply with quote

Kareem is coming up on the last year of his contract, and if he plays to the level he played this year, or even continues to improve he will be due for a big pay day. Now say it's somewhere between 8-12 mil, that would put JJoe and Kareem at around a 20 mil cap hit together on 2 players and with the cap looking to stay flat for a while, I don't think you can tie up that kind of money in 2 players.

So do we extend Kareem this preeason alla Brown this pre-season and keep his cap hit low til JJoe leaves after 2015 or have to pick between one of them and either letting Kareem walk next offseason or sign him and cut JJoe?

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
62 tot, 2 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles

Last edited by lumberjackchris on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
buckwild

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ has 2 years left on his rookie deal, and we have JJ for another 3 years. So tap the breaks on dolling out extensions.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
KJ has 2 years left on his rookie deal, and we have JJ for another 3 years. So tap the breaks on dolling out extensions.

Misread spotrac, but that still puts us as 1 year where will be paying both alot. Also we need to start looking for JJoe's replacement. Possibly next years 1st or 2nd rounder. I wish we would draft DB's as well as the Packers do....

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I done think many teams will be willing to dish out very much for Kareem anyways. People still feel he's the same player his rookie year.
Marco79

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ServantofYHWH wrote:
I done think many teams will be willing to dish out very much for Kareem anyways. Fans still feel he's the same player his rookie year.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ServantofYHWH wrote:
I done think many teams will be willing to dish out very much for Kareem anyways. People still feel he's the same player his rookie year.

I seriously doubt this. I think most people see KJ as a very improved CB that got overlooked for a Pro Bowl selection this year due simply to a lack of name recognition and the Pro Bowl being more of a popularity contest. I doubt any coaches or GM's around the league see KJ as the same player from 2 yrs. ago.

As for CB, I think we'll lose McCain in FA, Harris will step up into his place at nickle, and we'll then draft a 4th-6th round replacement. I like Terry Hawthorne who is currently a 6th round ranking but I think is very undervalued, and Johnny Adams, also a 6th round ranking, who I think has alot of potential, very athletic, but might get moved to Safety.

Last edited by Wolf6151 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:

I seriously doubt this. I think most people see KJ as a very improved CB that got overlooked for a Pro Bowl selection this year. I doubt any coaches or GM's around the league see KJ as the same player from 2 yrs. ago.

As for CB, I think we'll lose McCain in FA, Harris will step up into his place at nickle, and we'll then draft a 4th-6th round replacement. I like Terry Hawthorne who I think is very undervalued, and Johnny Adams who I think has alot of potential, very athletic, but might get moved to Safety.

Especially the teams we played this season. I am sure they are aware also.

I agree we should let McCain go this offseason. He took a step back this season. Last season he was one of the best slot receivers in the league, and this season he was bad before his season ending injury. I think it's time to see what we have with Harris as a nickle corner. I think we will draft a CB late also because I see us also letting Ball go. I wonder if we are going to resign Routt even though we never used him this past season.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:

I seriously doubt this. I think most people see KJ as a very improved CB that got overlooked for a Pro Bowl selection this year. I doubt any coaches or GM's around the league see KJ as the same player from 2 yrs. ago.

As for CB, I think we'll lose McCain in FA, Harris will step up into his place at nickle, and we'll then draft a 4th-6th round replacement. I like Terry Hawthorne who I think is very undervalued, and Johnny Adams who I think has alot of potential, very athletic, but might get moved to Safety.

Especially the teams we played this season. I am sure they are aware also.

I agree we should let McCain go this offseason. He took a step back this season. Last season he was one of the best slot receivers in the league, and this season he was bad before his season ending injury. I think it's time to see what we have with Harris as a nickle corner. I think we will draft a CB late also because I see us also letting Ball go. I wonder if we are going to resign Routt even though we never used him this past season.

Thanks for the reminder, I'd like us to bring Routt into training camp next season and see what he can do with a full offseason, OTA's, and TC in our system and working with Vance Joseph.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milliner and Rhodes are most likely out of our range at #27, what would you guys think of taking Trufant or Banks at #27 if one of them is available? I know we've got bigger issues that CB, but when a good one falls in your lap it's awfully hard to turn down. Also we probably need to be looking to the future for a replacement for JJo, who gets real expensive in 2014 and as just an overall improvement of the quality and depth of the position.
Underwood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
Milliner and Rhodes are most likely out of our range at #27, what would you guys think of taking Trufant or Banks at #27 if one of them is available? I know we've got bigger issues that CB, but when a good one falls in your lap it's awfully hard to turn down. Also we probably need to be looking to the future for a replacement for JJo, who gets real expensive in 2014 and as just an overall improvement of the quality and depth of the position.

I don't think I would go with Banks. He ran over a 4.6 at the combine, right?

Sig by Eaglezphan21
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwood wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:

I don't think I would go with Banks. He ran over a 4.6 at the combine, right?

Have a friends who just got onto the scouting department with the Texans, he's not going to throw names out there, but he did say the combine means nothing for the vast majority of the top 2 rounds of talent. Our Big Board changed slightly but nothing major. The big reason is scouts look at tape first, so they know at which speed a players plays with so the combine should match
that. In the case of Swoop while he does have a knack for getting open deep he never played with a 4.34 speed, and that's playing in two totally different offenses and two very good QB's. If a player like Banks runs a 4.6whatever, it could be an anomaly, which if he runs that slow at his pro-day then maybe that's how fast his straight line speed, but ill take a 4.6 corner who has fluid hips to a 4.4 who can't

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
treece300e

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Terry Hawthorne and Jamar Taylor (slight homer pick) as second or third round selections. Logan Ryan is another player that seems very solid in all aspects. His 40 was 4.5, but he had a 1.5second 10-yd split, which tells me that he's quick in short spaces. 4.5 isn't slow for long speed, so if that's his true speed then it doesn't worry me too much, but the split would lead me to believe he's actually a little faster.

If we're going to let McCain walk via FA this year, I like the idea of drafting another CB to keep pressure on, or usurp Harris. If we re-sign Routt, I think priority falls back to the 3rd or 4th round, but if we let both he and McCain go, then I think CB needs to be a priority for us in the first 3 rounds. I think a very solid cover Safety, possibly a converted CB, would suffice as well.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I seriously doubt this. I think most people see KJ as a very improved CB that got overlooked for a Pro Bowl selection this year due simply to a lack of name recognition and the Pro Bowl being more of a popularity contest. I doubt any coaches or GM's around the league see KJ as the same player from 2 yrs. ago.

I have no idea where you guys get this stuff from sometimes. I will grant that Kareem Jackson is no longer what he was as a rookie, which was the worst player on the 3rd worst secondary in the history of the NFL, but it is time to put to rest this absurd "overlooked for a Pro Bowl nod" mythology to rest. If Kareem Jackson is a pro bowler, please explain to me how the Texans went from a team that held Baltimore, Buffalo, and Chicago to 13, 9, and 6 points when Jonathan Joseph was healthy to a team that gave up 37, 31, and 42 to Jacksonville, Detroit, and New England (with a decent game against offensively challenged Tenn in there) when Joseph got hurt including the New England game where he clearly came back before he was ready because of the disarray in our secondary with Kareem as a #1 CB. Stop overrating 1 decent half of football against Calvin Johnson (that ignores his role in the Texans abysmal first half defensive effort) and some passable play opposite Joseph in the first half of the season into a Pro Bowl campaign. I would wager that there are 2 dozen more NFL coaches and GMs that think Kareem belongs as a nickel than those who think he's a #2, better yet a #1 of which I assure you there are none. If you can't be a #1 CB, by definition you can't be a Pro Bowler since that means there are probably 31 corners better than you.

I am all for "watchful waiting" and seeing if Kareem takes further strides this season and next to becoming someone worth a 2nd contract at a starting CB salary, but there is no frigging way he is a candidate for signing early (which makes no sense on rookie deals anyway). The Texans secondary remains the weak link on this defense as evidenced by all of our losses coming against teams that strove to get us into nickel or dime and find the weak links (Green Bay, New England, Indy, and we may have accounted for Minny's only win not attributable to AP). Kareem isn't to blame for all of it, but the way I see it, we continue to lack a corner with the deep speed to cover teams that can beat you even when you shut down their #1 (Cobb, Lloyd/Stallworth, Hilton, Wright). I think Kareem can be a component of an improved secondary, especially if transitioned to #3, but we are absolutely nuts if we go into a season that features KJ, Harris one tweaked muscle on JJ away from starting against any top AFC passing attack. We are at the point where we need to have a playoff plan on how to get past Balt, Denver, NE, Indy, and if that plan doesn't include adding another player capable of shutting down their #2 or #3 passing targets it's a plan that has the Texans being a perpetual 2nd round out in the playoffs.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...guess the better question is "What do we do at S" now that Glover Quin will be testing out the market.

I'm confident a deal can be worked out, but if someone with a heavy need for a S goes over the top with an offer and Quin walks...where does S fall on our list of needs? Does it trump the need of an ILB, NT or WR?

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
...guess the better question is "What do we do at S" now that Glover Quin will be testing out the market.

I'm confident a deal can be worked out, but if someone with a heavy need for a S goes over the top with an offer and Quin walks...where does S fall on our list of needs? Does it trump the need of an ILB, NT or WR?

If Quin is gone s is our biggest need IMO and then wr.....even with quin a 3rd safety is a need, is it me or is our list of needs longer than we think and longer than we can actually get fixed in one off-season.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: