Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Draft Thread Version 3.0/List of NFL Combine Invitees
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justwinbaby81

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
justwinbaby81 wrote:
He is the best football player in this draft. He is at a position of need. This is someone we can roll the dice on until we hear any report saying his injury will be a concern.

You want to roll the dice on a guy who reportedly isn't a hard worker and relies on athleticism and talent who has a spine condition? With the 3rd overall pick?

I don't.

I'm past the spine condition until a doctor says its an issue. He sounds reasonably healthy to me.

His athleticism and talent are great, but he's just a tremendous baller. Put him on the field and he performs. I was more impressed with him than any defender in college football this year outside of Clowney.

I'm anxious to see his workouts now, because that will help to address any work ethic questions. I always thought the combine was a reliable barometer of work ethic if nothing else, particularly in the strength category. Until then we can just argue back and forth on how much of a factor that will be for him.

All I see in him is plug and play and my God does this guy make plays. If we want to see what Dennis Allen is really made of from a defensive mindset, you want no one above Jones (besides maybe Dion Jordan, but I'm not sold he is ready to go day one). He's a guy we can build a defense around. Seriously...Von Miller II

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Chali21 wrote:

Look at where the Ravens are right now: they have to resign flacco right now so they won't be able to bring back other guys like Kruger and Reed. However they draft really well so they can use Upshaw in Kruger's place and this years draft has a ton of Safties no one at Ed Reed Prime level but still good.

Kruger wasn't a first round pick. Kruger never even started a game before this year. He had a good season and it will lead to a big contract. It most likely won't be with the Ravens because they can live without, he's one of those overrated guys about to get overpaid.
I don't know what they're going to do about Reed but he's been with them for 11 years. I think they got their draft pick worth in return at this point.

There's also this guy named Suggs who is their best pass rusher. Who they drafted in the first round. And kept re-signing. The thing he's saying they didn't do

They don't trip over having to resign guys, thats what I meant. They pay the guys they need to and rarely over pay, however they are going to have to over pay Flacco.

I still feel that we need to trade down however, so we can get picks and get that depth that the elite teams have.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
Professor Oak wrote:
Darkness wrote:
Doesn't Jones getting a clean bill of health mean that there shouldn't be any long term issues with his back?

Not necessarily.

What exactly does being "cleared" mean? We don't know the exact prognosis the doctor gave. We don't know how many doctors examined his health.

It's definitely positive news, but I wouldn't count on it 100%, personally.

A clean bill of health to me means that his back condition has healed. Why else would it be considered breaking news? If he still has his back condition, I don't see why it would be considered positive news that he's able to do what he's been doing at Georgia for the past few seasons.

I don't think you heal from a narrowing of the spine. The issue is how severe his condition is. Apparently, it's not severe enough to not play football for now. The risk of injury or pain increase throughout the years seems obvious though.
THE MAD STORK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
THE MAD STORK wrote:
Dessie wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
Some people say that jones' back will last 5-7 years, well most rookie contracts are about 5 years. Who's to say that the guy will even be on our team in 6 years. This whole we draft a good guy and we'll have them for ten years thing is pretty dumb I mean most players don't even play for their drafted team their whole careers.

This is how you make a consistent competitor, you draft an elite player and then a year or two before their contracts up you draft their replacement. It's why the patriots, and the steelers and the ravens have been dominate teams.

So in other words I wouldn't hate the pick as long as we got those 5 years of elite play, odds are they'd be gone by year 6 anyway.

If we let the guy we draft at #3 go after his rookie contract, it will probably mean he wasn't worth the pick. Why would we let go of a 27 year old stud? The Steelers, Ravens or Patriots don't do that either.

Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Vince Wilfork, Logan Mankins, to name a few, were re-signed. They're letting go of players who were overated to begin with because they don't fall into the trap of overpaying for role players. They're willing to spend when they have to though.

Tough one, not sure the Texans would swap Mario Williams or the Dolphins Jake Long (if he doesn't resign) and they got 5 years out of a #1 pick.

At this point I would be glad to get 5/6 years play out of our 1st round pick.

+1... You named a few people, ray, mankins, wilfork, Ed reed, I'll throw another off the top of my head polamalu. .... Keep going? My point, in this day an age with how free Angeny works its so unlikely thAt your going to have a player who's going to be with you 10+ years. And if I can get 5-7 good years out of a player I'm pretty happy. Name a googld player on our team who we drafted who has been with for 6+ years? Not many.

We have drafted one all pro in the first round for the last decade. Off the top of my head, the only players who have been here for more than 5 years are Jano, Lechler, Kelly and Huff. Nnamdi got that second contract. Everybody else proved to be expendable during the course of their rookie contract. Just like Mario Williams did, btw. When you're drafting a DE #1 overall, you're expecting more than 2 seasons above 10 sacks. Jake Long will probably be allowed to walk away because his level of play took a nosedive lately.

So what i'm saying is our expectations should be very high for the #3 overall pick in the draft. This needs to be a homerun, not a guy where 5 years from now we have to adress the same need all over again for whatever reason.

we didnt draft kelly, and huff is weak (overrated by raider fans), and yes we got great special teams... -_-
BigD1123

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know people in their forties with similar conditions in very physical jobs that have no issues. Does that mean he wont? No but it does tell me that in most cases I know of its a very manageable condition. Most who have this problem dont have issues until later in life due to muscle breakdown fatigue and weight gain. (The last part was from a dr. friend of mine, Chiropractor friend said something similar) But to be honest I dont care if I like the cat we draft or not. If whoever he is will perform at a high level and be a building block for a new winning lagacy I will be happy and I couldnt care less if he was here five years or fifty five as long as the team I love is b slapping donkeys bolts and chefs and anyone else who is foolish enough to face them.
KiD_Wisdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we draft Jones and DA can replicate what Miller did his first year then it will be a great pick. Denvers D was better then our's when miller came into the league but i think he would still provide a good pass rush. Its not my first pick, but i wouldnt mind it.
Raidin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he checks out 100% healthy he doesn't get past the Jags anyway.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it has been posted already but Geno Smith will go through a complete combine.
Raiiiiidersssss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
I don't know if it has been posted already but Geno Smith will go through a complete combine.

As will like every other QB, amazingly. Has that ever happened before? Usually the top prospects don't throw
CaliforniaKid7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiiiiidersssss wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

As will like every other QB, amazingly. Has that ever happened before? Usually the top prospects don't throw

Is Barkley throwing? I know he wasnt sure if he was a few weeks ago.

big thanks to OakleyCap on the sig
Raiiiiidersssss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaKid7 wrote:
Raiiiiidersssss wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

Is Barkley throwing? I know he wasnt sure if he was a few weeks ago.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/21693887/reports-geno-smith-matt-barkley-to-throw-at-combine-

Apparently its just "reports," my bad. Although he probably should do it.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
If he checks out 100% healthy he doesn't get past the Jags anyway.

Each team will do it's own evaluation and you can expect prognosis to vary wildly.
Chali21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barkley is also throwing at the combine. So this will be the first year in awhile where all the QBs throw.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
Barkley is also throwing at the combine. So this will be the first year in awhile where all the QBs throw.
Thats because none of them have separated themselves from the others.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ogletree catches a DUI pre-combine.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/16/alec-ogletree-charged-with-dui/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 6 of 100

Jump to: