Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chris Canty
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
Canty's value is much higher than that. That's just an unrealistic scenario. I'd give Canty a few million per for 2 years and if he gets a better offer elsewhere so be it, but I'd undoubtedly give him more than Muir or Merling got.

If you're going to give Canty a "can't cut you at the end of camp" type contract, you have to be comfortable cutting one of the following: Raji, Pickett, Wilson, Neal, Worthy, Daniels. You probably have to also be comfortable in not spending a medium-high pick on a DL.

I just can't see either of those things happening.

If you get Canty on a "we can just cut you whenever, no sweat" deal, then go for it. But otherwise, you let him sign elsewhere (since his value is more than the vet min, but that's a better deal for some other team than for us.)

If we got Canty I'd be fine cutting Wilson or Daniels, probably Daniels.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
Canty's value is much higher than that. That's just an unrealistic scenario. I'd give Canty a few million per for 2 years and if he gets a better offer elsewhere so be it, but I'd undoubtedly give him more than Muir or Merling got.

If you're going to give Canty a "can't cut you at the end of camp" type contract, you have to be comfortable cutting one of the following: Raji, Pickett, Wilson, Neal, Worthy, Daniels. You probably have to also be comfortable in not spending a medium-high pick on a DL.

If you get Canty on a "we can just cut you whenever, no sweat" deal, then go for it. But otherwise, you let him sign elsewhere (since his value is more than the vet min, but that's a better deal for some other team than for us.)

Laughing

wow...
palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:

Wait, what?

I agree with you more times than not, guru. Please explain!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:

Laughing

wow...

Daniels ceiling is a nickel rusher, Canty can be a legitimate everydown RE. Sure, probably wouldn't be smart to cut Wilson, but Daniels is nothing special.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:

Laughing

wow...

Daniels ceiling is a nickel rusher, Canty can be a legitimate everydown RE. Sure, probably wouldn't be smart to cut Wilson, but Daniels is nothing special.

I hope one understands how little Capers plays base. In that, there is a premium on Daniels. Even more so on this Packers roster with the lack of pass rushers up front. One could make a very strong case for Daniels being number two on that list after Neal and with Neal's injury history...........

Just sayin. If they landed Canty I would be more willing to let Wilson walk than Daniels, not that I would do that either.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:

Laughing

wow...

I hope one understands how little Capers plays base. In that, there is a premium on Daniels. Even more so on this Packers roster with the lack of pass rushers up front. One could make a very strong case for Daniels being number two on that list after Neal and with Neal's injury history...........

Hasn't Canty been a decent enough pass rusher to at least be a reserve in that department? I mean ideally in the nickel you're going with some combo of Neal-Worthy-Raji up front. Add in Canty as the 4th nickel DL and have him in on 1st down even in the nickel to stop the run better and all of the sudden you've got solid depth up front in nickel as well as a stronger base unit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:

Laughing

wow...

I would rather keep both and not grab Canty. That's just me though Laughing Smile

Revel8 wrote:
I believe I may have already found it. Not only the way to cure ebola, but every virus period.

FF Big Brother III Winner Cool

#JDI
ajhawk5047

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:

Laughing

wow...

I would rather keep both and not grab Canty. That's just me though Laughing Smile

how about we sign canty and keep wilson and daniels and get rid of one of our 5 tight ends...
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajhawk5047 wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:

Laughing

wow...

how about we sign canty and keep wilson and daniels and get rid of one of our 5 tight ends...

That would upset justo. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If signing Canty means letting go of Wilson, I'm not on board. It's not worth it to spend a bunch of money to slightly upgrade a position that isn't used very much.

Keeping 7 DL isn't ideal, since those guys don't contribute on special teams, and there's usually only about 2.25 of them on the field when on defense anyway, and usually only 5 DL active on the game day roster, whereas the 18,000,000 linebackers, TEs, and FBs are your core special teamers.

If we're going to replace a DL with a better DL, do it in the draft where the guy you get will be younger and cheaper.
Mr Green

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilson may be a good run defender but at the end of the day he's just a guy. Easily replaceable imo. Neal, Daniels and Worthy all have much higher ceilings.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:

I just thought it was crazy you'd want to keep Wilson over Daniels. I think Canty would be a far better replacement for Wilson than he would be for Daniels.

If Canty is dirt cheap compared to what he was, I think he *could* be a nice addition, but I wouldn't cut Daniels to pay Canty more than Daniels will get over the next 3 years.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:

I just thought it was crazy you'd want to keep Wilson over Daniels. I think Canty would be a far better replacement for Wilson than he would be for Daniels.

If Canty is dirt cheap compared to what he was, I think he *could* be a nice addition, but I wouldn't cut Daniels to pay Canty more than Daniels will get over the next 3 years.

It's very market dependent and quite likely he prices out of our range.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: