Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Retire Ray's Number?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Retire #52?
Yes
88%
 88%  [ 39 ]
No
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 44

Hands of Iron

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No brainer, although Jonathan should've already been given the honor first. Doing it together would be a cool thing though I can see the spectacle of Lewis ceremony completely overshadowing it.

75. 52. 20.

It feels like quite a few numbers to retire but I think it's important to realize that all three of these guys are at least arguably the greatest player to play their respectively positions in the entire history of the National Football League. That is almost breathtaking and amazing given the short history of the team and sets a standard that will ensure there won't be a proliferation of retired jersey numbers. No way, No how.
Hands of Iron

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also why I'm really hoping Ed finishes his career in Baltimore like the other two were able to do. There's something about being an All-Time Great and having the continuity of playing for a sole franchise that is just priceless, especially in this era of free agency. You can take that for sentimentality, but I don't really care. Legacies that rich should be justly preserved.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands of Iron wrote:
Also why I'm really hoping Ed finishes his career in Baltimore like the other two were able to do. There's something about being an All-Time Great and having the continuity of playing for a sole franchise that is just priceless, especially in this era of free agency. You can take that for sentimentality, but I don't really care. Legacies that rich should be justly preserved.

Agreed. I think Ed's a good enough player still that I'd be willing to sacrifice a little amount of cap over what we consider to be his 'value' (nothing egregious, if that's what he's asking) to retain his services. Like you said, I think preserving that legacy is worth that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands of Iron wrote:
No brainer, although Jonathan should've already been given the honor first. Doing it together would be a cool thing though I can see the spectacle of Lewis ceremony completely overshadowing it.

75. 52. 20.

It feels like quite a few numbers to retire but I think it's important to realize that all three of these guys are at least arguably the greatest player to play their respectively positions in the entire history of the National Football League. That is almost breathtaking and amazing given the short history of the team and sets a standard that will ensure there won't be a proliferation of retired jersey numbers. No way, No how.

I couldn't think of a more perfect way to celebrate the opener (if Reed isn't with us next year).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Hands of Iron wrote:

Agreed. I think Ed's a good enough player still that I'd be willing to sacrifice a little amount of cap over what we consider to be his 'value' (nothing egregious, if that's what he's asking) to retain his services. Like you said, I think preserving that legacy is worth that.

Glad you feel that way, and it looks like Ozzie is at least going to make an effort. How much it means to stay in Baltimore is ultimately going to be up to Ed being realistic about himself and his prospects. Age and Injuries have really taken a total on being the complete player he used to be - at an all-time level - and the guy is so savy, so instinctive and a film room rat that I wouldn't be surprised if he came out and had another 8 or so INT year and makes another All-Pro 1st Team like he did in 2010 off the PUP list. I really, really wouldn't doubt it.

As for me? I'm just an onlooker (Cardinals fan) and admirer of the franchise. I understand you guys wanting to just cut him loose for the betterment of the team's cap situation, but I'm allowed to he sentimental. I wouldnt even want prime Ed Reed on my team because he is that much a Baltimore Raven to me. Really my favorite player of all-time or thereabouts. You guys also have Sizzle (a monster at Arizona State), as well as Q (And ATG Cardinal) who I never wanted to see leave. Obviously, Ray as well who'd he amongst my top five or six favorites. To say I'd been pulling for the Ravens through all these heartbreaks in recent years would be a complete understatement. Got something of an affinity for the identity of your team and how they've played football for the last decade plus. Ray and Ed have played a significant role in epitomizing it and now it won't ever be the same. That's okay though, because they pulled it off. They did it. The Core Four of Ngata, Reed, Suggs and Lewis won a Super Bowl together. Now the only thing I'd like is for Ed to finish where he started and keep climbing and inching higher up the NFL's ATG List.
Hands of Iron

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
Hands of Iron wrote:

75. 52. 20.

I couldn't think of a more perfect way to celebrate the opener (if Reed isn't with us next year).

Would be one hell of an emotional high against who will likely be the Pittsburgh Steelers. The identity and history the Ravens have sculpted in such a short time period is jaw dropping stuff. The Steelers history has been largely defined by their Super Bowl wins, their defenses and all-time greats. The Ravens already have a pair of Lombardi's, they've got the best defense of all-time to their credit (2000), they've got their own ATGs (Arguable GOATs at MLB/ILB, S and T), and a very comparable identity. In no time.

- GOAT Defense (single-season) (Lewis was also DPOY and SB MVP. Rare much?)
- Four DPOY Winners (Lewis x2, Reed, Suggs) (T-2nd all time for a team)
- Lewis is tied for most All-Pro teams at LB (with LT)
- Lewis is one of six players with multiple DPOY
- Lewis was fastest to reach 20/20, 30/30 Club, only player in the NFL's 40/30 Club
- Lewis NFL All-Decade 1st Team
- Ogden NFL All-Decade 1st Team
- Reed NFL All-Decade 1st Team
- Reed is four INTs away from Top 5 all-time (utterly inevitable, could see Top 3)
- Reed is the career INT Return Yards leader (locked up)
- Reed is tied for 1st all-time in Playoff INTs (high probability all-time leader)
- Reed is one AP 1st Team away from record at Safety position. (?)
- Suggs is tied for 3rd all-time in Playoff Sacks (high probablity all-time leader)

When does it ever end? Laughing
RavensfanRD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands of Iron wrote:
GaTechRavens wrote:
Hands of Iron wrote:

75. 52. 20.

Would be one hell of an emotional high against who will likely be the Pittsburgh Steelers. The identity and history the Ravens have sculpted in such a short time period is jaw dropping stuff. The Steelers history has been largely defined by their Super Bowl wins, their defenses and all-time greats. The Ravens already have a pair of Lombardi's, they've got the best defense of all-time to their credit (2000), they've got their own ATGs (Arguable GOATs at MLB/ILB, S and T), and a very comparable identity. In no time.

- GOAT Defense (single-season) (Lewis was also DPOY and SB MVP. Rare much?)
- Four DPOY Winners (Lewis x2, Reed, Suggs) (T-2nd all time for a team)
- Lewis is tied for most All-Pro teams at LB (with LT)
- Lewis is one of six players with multiple DPOY
- Lewis was fastest to reach 20/20, 30/30 Club, only player in the NFL's 40/30 Club
- Lewis NFL All-Decade 1st Team
- Ogden NFL All-Decade 1st Team
- Reed NFL All-Decade 1st Team
- Reed is four INTs away from Top 5 all-time (utterly inevitable, could see Top 3)
- Reed is the career INT Return Yards leader (locked up)
- Reed is tied for 1st all-time in Playoff INTs (high probability all-time leader)
- Reed is one AP 1st Team away from record at Safety position. (?)
- Suggs is tied for 3rd all-time in Playoff Sacks (high probablity all-time leader)

When does it ever end? Laughing

Hopefully never! We'll continue to produce World-Beaters and get championships!

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

85 Bears > 00 Ravens

DEFENSE.

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
I think another interesting question should be... should the Ravens retire Lewis' locker? I mean sure it's needed space and all that, but I remember seeing some baseball flick when I was younger (can't recall) where the baseball players locker had essentially been retired.

I think that would be pretty sweet and memorable. Future players could enter the locker and stop and see that, THAT was Lewis locker. They could feel the presence and responsibility of it weighing down on them.

Obviously not a Ravens fan, but I love this idea. I'm a little curious as to what the people who voted no have been smoking.

There, without question, in my mind has never been and may never be a player that has or will impact the Baltimore Ravens the way Ray Lewis did. I absolutely agree with the retiring his locker idea. They could use it as a form of inspiration. A way to say "hey, that is what you should always strive to become, the player you should always want to pursue within yourself'.

Frankly, Ray Lewis was the greatest leader the Ravens have ever had and will ever have, I truly believe that. He is easily a first ballot HOFer; as a person I have my personal views but as a player, he is, imo, the best MLB to have ever played in this league, that's saying a lot. His spirit should be kept within the locker room and within the stadium. When rookies arrive, their teammates should point to that locker and say "he is watching you, he commands greatness" because it's true.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: