Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chris Canty and the defensive talents potential signing him

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smitty89

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Chris Canty and the defensive talents potential signing him Reply with quote

Chris Canty, makes too much sense as long as they can get to under enough cap to sign him, which I feel confident they will.

Gettlemen is very aware and high on Canty as a player. Obviously knows him from all the years spent in NY and even playing against Canty when he was a Cowboy.

We sign him and then we can focus on drafting an elite safety, which you NEED in the NFL now a days. Look at the 2 teams in the Super Bowl (3 All-Pro caliber safeties between the 2 teams)-Reed, Goldson, Whitner

Imagine a defense like this: with veterans in the middle stopping the run and applying QB pressure (both are huge men Canty/Edwards) Wait and draft a DT in the next draft, I think its an easier fix to go with Canty than draft DT Hankins and have another below starting caliber safety). Our LB's would be able to fly around the field, we do have the best 4-3 LB crew in the NFL. This defense has the talent on paper to be a top 5 defense without a question come 2013-14 if this is what we were to look like.

LE-Johnson
DT-Canty
DT-Edwards
RE-Hardy

WLB-Beason/Davis

MLB-Kuechly

SLB-Anderson

CB-Gamble -restructure or figure something out, don't see us getting rid of him. Gettlemen has mentioned Gamble as one of the most underrated CB's in the NFL. Aka were not getting rid of him.

CB- A solid veteran FA to help mentor and mold Thomas or Norman for the future.

Nickel-Munnerly -one of the best in the league at the nickel.

SS-Matt Elam -would give us a Mike Minter presence in the outfield and will be elite.

FS-Godfrey -move back to natural position.

Solid link talking about Canty-Gettlement relationship.

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2013/2/6/3960958/carolina-panthers-free-agency-chris-canty
tbrown2699

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting player for the Panthers. There is a lot of upside to have Canty on the roster and he would be an immediate upgrade to the Panthers DL. He would also delay they immediate need to find a future DT in the early rounds of the NFL draft this season. The downside to Canty is his health issues in the recent past. NY Giants fans admit that when he is on the field he is totally worthy of the money he commands, but was MIA last season. This is not to say he will not be healthy for the coming season, but just an issue. Also he is 30. Probably only has 3-4 years left if he stays healthy. The right price is going to be key (along with the Panther's getting under the cap), but at 6'7 320 he would command a major presence in the middle and allow our DE's to roam free.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a stopgap at this point, but I have a feeling we'll "neglect" DT again in this draft, so stopgaps could be good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canty is also a Charlotte native....a H.S. star at my school Charlotte Latin. He would like to be in charlotte....he'll take a pay cut to be a panther no doubt. This would be an amazing signing. Allow us to focus on OT/S early in the draft instead of getting another young DT who can't play in this league.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this isnt a bad move if we can get him CHEAP. also if we get him i still think we go DT in the 1st round. Edwards/Canty to rotate and Floyd would be a great set of d tackles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a stopgap but I am on board if we sign him for the right price. He is up in age and has had injuries but if this can let us focus on safety and OL in the beginning of the draft i'm all for it

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
panattack86

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like the idea IF he comes cheap. But would rather spend the money on the OL there are quite a few nice FA this offseason. And this years draft is deep at DT.
catamount

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signing a player like Canty is interesting, but there is a lot of risk to it. I feel we are going to go after an undertackle to start and a later-round project to bring in. I sometimes wonder if Fua would not be a better 3 technique than a NT. So many people are down on Fua, but it takes a DT a year or two to get it--Fua was taken at the end of the 3rd round, do not forget, where projects are taken.

I look at a player like Dorsey in KC. He will become a free agent and was considered a bust in the KC 3-4. An undertackle in a 4-3 is a more natural fit for him. If we can get him on the cheap and give him a shot, I would imagine we could have a first-round talent in his prime at DT.

However, I would be satisfied with Sammie Lee Hill of Detroit, buried behind the Suh/Fairley combo. He is young and has some pass rushing ability.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catamount wrote:
Signing a player like Canty is interesting, but there is a lot of risk to it. I feel we are going to go after an undertackle to start and a later-round project to bring in. I sometimes wonder if Fua would not be a better 3 technique than a NT. So many people are down on Fua, but it takes a DT a year or two to get it--Fua was taken at the end of the 3rd round, do not forget, where projects are taken.

I look at a player like Dorsey in KC. He will become a free agent and was considered a bust in the KC 3-4. An undertackle in a 4-3 is a more natural fit for him. If we can get him on the cheap and give him a shot, I would imagine we could have a first-round talent in his prime at DT.

However, I would be satisfied with Sammie Lee Hill of Detroit, buried behind the Suh/Fairley combo. He is young and has some pass rushing ability.

Hill is like a better Andre Neblett. Very stout in the run game, and gets a good pocket push, not allowing QB's to step-up, and helping create a lot more sacks for the edge rushers. I'd love to get him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2013/02/15/chris-canty-i-would-take-a-hometown-discount-to-be-a-panther/

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love for us nab Canty and resign one of the Edwards brothers. But I think id be more interested in Glen Dorsey, he still young and could be a success in our 4-3.
wolf7373

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will add depth and a great interior pass rusher but for the love of everything if the Panthers do not get a talented DT, it will really grind my gears. You can never have too much talent at D-line especially in the NFC South ala Brees, Ryan...Josh Freeman did well against the Panthers too.
ericr0319

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dream would be for us to sign Randy Starks and draft Sharif Floyd. Gives us two top tier DT for the next several years.

I dont want gap fillers. we need to get young and stop trying to just plug in a DT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: