Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mass amount of veterans expected to be released:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Mass amount of veterans expected to be released: Reply with quote

Adam Schefter stated on a pod cast with Mike and Mike in the morning that NFL executives have told him that they expect this offseason to produce the highest priced and veteran player’s releases the league has seen since the salary cap was put into effect. Rumor is that many names will come as shockers as others will be expected but none the less this offseason is likely going to be one to remember.

We have already started seeing the effects of this as players like Ahmad Bradshaw, Kyle Van Den Bosh & Chris Canty have already been released by their perspective teams so far. This got me thinking… The Saints are about in as bad shape cap wise as any franchise in the league and if a team like the Giants can cut a player like Bradshaw, who’s to say the Saints won’t be willing to depart with a guy like Pierre Thomas?

More so, if the Saints are willing to make that move who else would they be willing to cut loose?

I think we all understand guys like Vilma, Smith and Ellis won’t be back in the Big Easy next season but who are the players that while it may come as a shocker, you could actually see the Saints letting go this offseason?

WHODAT GONNA BE GONE?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my dad were having a couple of beers the other night, and he got thinking from something he said. (He is a Saints fan). I told him we were switching to a 3-4. He said he thinks were doing that to keep Vilma & Lofton. Lord knows, Vilma can't play OLB. But Lofton is better. BUT Loomis and Payton both love Vilma. I think if he's willing to restructure, my dad may be right. Think about it.

SP does this to break out his two young'n's. (Galette and Wilson) on the outside, and keep Lofton and Vilma. (His best player and his most beloved player) I'm actually starting to think he may not be cut..
SWATcha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
Me and my dad were having a couple of beers the other night, and he got thinking from something he said. (He is a Saints fan). I told him we were switching to a 3-4. He said he thinks were doing that to keep Vilma & Lofton. Lord knows, Vilma can't play OLB. But Lofton is better. BUT Loomis and Payton both love Vilma. I think if he's willing to restructure, my dad may be right. Think about it.

SP does this to break out his two young'n's. (Galette and Wilson) on the outside, and keep Lofton and Vilma. (His best player and his most beloved player) I'm actually starting to think he may not be cut..

Vilma is terrible as a 3-4 LB. It's the whole reason the Jets were willing to trade him to the Saints in the first place. Besides that, his play has been drastically falling off the last few years. I just don't see Vilma being in New Orleans next year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:

Would be shocked if we keep him. The reason why he is with the saints, is the jets switching to a 3-4 and he was awful at ILB. At his cost he needs to take a huge cap hit and don't forget about Hawthorne. We spent a lot money on both Hawthorne and Lofton and I expect to have Lofton, Hawthorne and Wilson as our ILB rotation. Galette will play as our ROLB and a rookie/FA (spencer?) will be our LOLB!

QB Drew Brees - 1,203 YDs ; 7 TD ; 3 INT ; 71.4% Pct

DB Patrick Robinson - 12 Tackles, 3 PDefs, 1 INT
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with SWAT here... I actually feel the switch makes it easier to let Vilma go because lord knows Vilma wants nothing to do with a 34 defense.

Last edited by whodatworm23 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porter22 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

Would be shocked if we keep him. The reason why he is with the saints, is the jets switching to a 3-4 and he was awful at ILB. At his cost he needs to take a huge cap hit and don't forget about Hawthorne. We spent a lot money on both Hawthorne and Lofton and I expect to have Lofton, Hawthorne and Wilson as our ILB rotation. Galette will play as our ROLB and a rookie/FA (spencer?) will be our LOLB!

It was my dads theory, not mine. :p Just found it interesting.

Although.. last year at the beginning of the playoffs he said the Giants would win the SB, he said the Chiefs would beat the Packers, he freaks me out with his predictions and I think "No way it happens" and then it happens. Lol
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A list of players I could see gone...

Pierre Thomas
Zach Strief
Devery Henderson
David Thomas
David Hawthorne
Junior Galette (If new DC doesn't see him as an OLB)
Jabari Greer
Roman Harper
Malcolm Jenkins
Johnny Patrick
Garrett Hartley

FLOODx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
A list of players I could see gone...

Pierre Thomas
Zach Strief
Devery Henderson
David Thomas
David Hawthorne
Junior Galette (If new DC doesn't see him as an OLB)
Jabari Greer
Roman Harper
Malcolm Jenkins
Johnny Patrick
Garrett Hartley

Would be ok with all except PT and Galette. I don't want to lose Hawthorne if he's going to be successful in the 3-4. If the coaches feel he isn't a good fit, I'm ok with letting him go, as well. What about Bunkley? If our new DC doesn't like him as a NT?

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true, and Bunkley also has a high cap number to boot...

It's strange, I think a lot of us feel we can just plug and play guys but depending on the system there will likely be major changes anyway.

For example, I've been saying that Galette and WIlson will be so much better as our OLBers in this 34 but if Ryan is hired I wouldn't be shocked to see our starting OLBers be neither one on opening day.

Maybe a pair like FA Anthony Spencer and 15th overall pick Ziggy Ansah!

There is just so many things we just don't know yet.

Raves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Vilma wasn't horrible in the 3-4, he wasn't a good fit, but he was still very productive when healthy, which wasn't often due to the nature of the 3-4. He's better when operating in space and not having to constantly go up against lineman, which is a requirement for a 3-4 ILB, and Davd Harris proved to be an equal if not better option than Vilma, mostly due to a lack of health issues, so the Jets were willing to part with Vilma.

Now if Vilma is the coverage linebacker and not asked to do as much attacking the LOS and taking on lineman I could see him doing an adequate stop gap for a year or two, but either way he's not a long term solution and will need to have a restructured contract if he wants to stay.

DE-Jordan
NT-Hankins/Jenkins/Southern Methodist Draft pick (Not Bunkley)
DE-Hicks
WOLB-Galette
WILB-Lofton
SILB-Vilma
SOLB-Wilson

That could be manageable this year while they look to move on from Vilma and get another draft pick.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
Actually Vilma wasn't horrible in the 3-4, he wasn't a good fit, but he was still very productive when healthy, which wasn't often due to the nature of the 3-4. He's better when operating in space and not having to constantly go up against lineman, which is a requirement for a 3-4 ILB, and Davd Harris proved to be an equal if not better option than Vilma, mostly due to a lack of health issues, so the Jets were willing to part with Vilma.

Now if Vilma is the coverage linebacker and not asked to do as much attacking the LOS and taking on lineman I could see him doing an adequate stop gap for a year or two, but either way he's not a long term solution and will need to have a restructured contract if he wants to stay.

DE-Jordan
DE-Hicks
WOLB-Galette
WILB-Lofton
SILB-Vilma
SOLB-Wilson

That could be manageable this year while they look to move on from Vilma and get another draft pick.

T-Raves

I hear what your saying but I honestly feel WIll Smith has a better chance of restructuring and staying, especially if Ryan is hired. Vilma on the other hand I just in no way see it.

You are exactly right in you assessment of him but now he's even older and even more injuried and even more expensive with a quality younger coverage backer in Hawthorne behind him.

I just in no way see Vilma here in 2013.

Raves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Raves wrote:

DE-Jordan
DE-Hicks
WOLB-Galette
WILB-Lofton
SILB-Vilma
SOLB-Wilson

T-Raves

I hear what your saying but I honestly feel WIll Smith has a better chance of restructuring and staying, especially if Ryan is hired. Vilma on the other hand I just in no way see it.

You are exactly right in you assessment of him but now he's even older and even more injuried and even more expensive with a quality younger coverage backer in Hawthorne behind him.

I just in no way see Vilma here in 2013.

I don't disagree with you, but when people are saying he's horrible in the 3-4, whether Harper's the one starting the arguments or not Wink, and it's not true, I'm going to correct them. Now do I think we should keep him? No, but would it be a bad idea if he took a BIG pay cut? No.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Harper41

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Raves here, even after that little pot shot Wink . Vilma wasn't BAD in a 3-4, he just couldn't stay healthy and he was coming off knee surgery with a large contract. Thats why the Jets traded him.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Agree with Raves here, even after that little pot shot Wink . Vilma wasn't BAD in a 3-4, he just couldn't stay healthy and he was coming off knee surgery with a large contract. Thats why the Jets traded him.

I don't think he can't do it or be productive, I just can't see him staying healthy now that he's 4-5 years older when he couldn't stay healthy then.

I honestly feel we need to clean house with ALL the high priced defenders on this team. Except for Lofton and an exception of Bunkley (if the new DC feels hes a fit at NT).

I think we just need to get back to opening this competition up at all positions with Lofton as the unofficial leader of the misfits!

The only players I would say should feel safe heading into this offseason is Lofton & Jordan on defense!

Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I hope we clear house. The D was pathetic and needs major changes.

Smith
Vilma
Harper
Streif
D. Thomas

Is my list of vets to be released. Ellis and Hendo let go through free agency.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: