Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

On second thought: Why not Rob Ryan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: On second thought: Why not Rob Ryan? Reply with quote

Sure heís not the prettiest thing to look at and maybe heís had his fair share of public negative outburst. Yes his false bravado and comical attitude tends to rub people the wrong way at times but there is two things that I know about Rob Ryan that makes him a great choiceÖ

1. All of Ryanís former players praise him as one of the best teachers they ever had.
2. Sean Payton has forgotten more football last week than I ever possessed in my lifetime!

When I think about what a good coordinator isÖ itís being able to teach, connect and direct. Ryanís former players stand by him as a teacher, He is known for being loved by his players so connecting to them on a personal level doesnít seem to be a problem and if Sean Payton feels he is adequate enough to direct this unit, who am I to disagree?

I think at times like this we all want the next big thing, the new name, the fresh face. I get it, hell I even agreed with it but sometimes the best decisions you end up making is the ones you donít make at all. Will Rob Ryan be a success in New Orleans if hired? I really donít know but what I do know is that if Rob Ryan ends up being good enough for Sean Payton than heís good enough for me.

WHODAT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. He's not my favorite, but if SP sees something in him, then I guess I can accept it. And, BTW, I listened to the podcast of SP. He never said "again". Out of the 3 candidates, since Donatell was blocked, I'd want:

Butler/Monnachino (whoever the other request was)
Grantham
Ryan
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
I agree. He's not my favorite, but if SP sees something in him, then I guess I can accept it. And, BTW, I listened to the podcast of SP. He never said "again". Out of the 3 candidates, since Donatell was blocked, I'd want:

Grantham
Ryan

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8920484

5 minute 25 second mark... Unless im hearing him wrong, I hear Payton make the following comment.

Quote:
"much has been reported about Rob Ryan, he's going to come in here and interview AGAIN this week"

Check it out again... maybe im losing it but that's what I hear!

Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

Grantham
Ryan

5 minute 25 second mark... Unless im hearing him wrong, I hear Payton make the following comment.

Quote:
"much has been reported about Rob Ryan, he's going to come in here and interview AGAIN this week"

I still don't hear it, lol. One of us is crazy. Wouldn't be surprise if it was me. :p
SWATcha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

Grantham
Ryan

Quote:

You're correct, he clearly says "again". In the context of the interview though, Sean P might of been meaning it as "again, like I mentioned earlier we'll be bringing in Rob Ryan."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that but he says... "again THIS WEEK" he followed again with those words. I felt in context to the story he would have said "this week, AGAIN" then finished his thought.

I'm likely reading to much into a couple misspoken words but when I first heard it, it really struck out at me. I do believe that there have already been discussions with Ryan about this job and it would lead one to think that Friday it will be made official.

It would also give credence to all these "basically done" reports.

WHere there is smoke there is usually fire!

Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with Ryan is that he a few GW tendencies. Especially the ability to know when to blitz and when to cover.

He could get away with that on say a Dallas when you have a Demarcus Ware, but the problem for us is that we don't have one of those.

We need a guy who can preach fundamentals too. Enough with this shoulder tackling garbage we see from our secondary. We can't miss this many tackles and hope to come out on top every game.

Ryan isn't the guy for us. I just can't see it.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We need a guy who can preach fundamentals too. Enough with this shoulder tackling garbage we see from our secondary

I sure do agree with you there... the sad thing is that Ryan isn't our guy for that and if you have watched any Georgia defender tackle over the last few years, neither is Grantham!!!

OUr only hope is that Keith Butler turns out to be the 3rd guy and he interviews and blows Payton away.

sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Quote:
We need a guy who can preach fundamentals too. Enough with this shoulder tackling garbage we see from our secondary

I sure do agree with you there... the sad thing is that Ryan isn't our guy for that and if you have watched any Georgia defender tackle over the last few years, neither is Grantham!!!

OUr only hope is that Keith Butler turns out to be the 3rd guy and he interviews and blows Payton away.

I'm going to call it...third guy is Teryl Austin.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Quote:

I say either Butler or Monachino

sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Quote:

I say either Butler or Monachino

Butler would have been my #1 choice. If there was interest he would have been called before.
Lombardi Gras

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
My problem with Ryan is that he a few GW tendencies. Especially the ability to know when to blitz and when to cover.

He could get away with that on say a Dallas when you have a Demarcus Ware, but the problem for us is that we don't have one of those.

We need a guy who can preach fundamentals too. Enough with this shoulder tackling garbage we see from our secondary. We can't miss this many tackles and hope to come out on top every game.

Ryan isn't the guy for us. I just can't see it.

I concur with this.

FSP
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this;

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2013/2/7/3962548/why-the-saints-may-need-rob-ryan

I'm not so harsh about Ryan. He is G-dub, without the sociopath. And our defense loves playing for G-dub, and Ryan's players have always loved playing for him. Go ahead, hire him, I won't be so pisses now.

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

AD 4 MVP!

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
After reading this;

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2013/2/7/3962548/why-the-saints-may-need-rob-ryan

I'm not so harsh about Ryan. He is G-dub, without the sociopath. And our defense loves playing for G-dub, and Ryan's players have always loved playing for him. Go ahead, hire him, I won't be so pisses now.

Another tid bit people tend to forget is that it isn't just the DC... Payton needs his DC to put a staff together and Ryan very well might be able to get the better staff together. Also the fact that his former player love playing for him speaks volumes especially in free agency. Can that fact help secure potential free agents this offseason, say like Anthony Spencer?

There is so much more that goes into this decision than just hiring a guy... Ryan backed out of the Rams deal because he wanted to run the 34 and Fisher wanted to keep a 4 man front. Ryan also wanted to field his own staff and I'm quite sure Ryan will feel the same here. THe Saints were a horrid defense last season and personnel is in bad shape, Im sure Payton will have to commit to Ryan that they will find a way to spend money in FA for this defense.

I'm actually starting to think that the Saints have been waiting so long for he Eagles to make their hire so that the Saints gig was the last one available in order to take bargaining power away from Ryan. I do believe that Rob Ryan is and has been the choice but the Saints have basically got him to the position where if he wants to be a DC in 2013 he'll have to come off some of his demands.

I truly feel that is what the wait's been for.

sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:
After reading this;

Another tid bit people tend to forget is that it isn't just the DC... Payton needs his DC to put a staff together and Ryan very well might be able to get the better staff together. Also the fact that his former player love playing for him speaks volumes especially in free agency. Can that fact help secure potential free agents this offseason, say like Anthony Spencer?

There is so much more that goes into this decision than just hiring a guy... Ryan backed out of the Rams deal because he wanted to run the 34 and Fisher wanted to keep a 4 man front. Ryan also wanted to field his own staff and I'm quite sure Ryan will feel the same here. THe Saints were a horrid defense last season and personnel is in bad shape, Im sure Payton will have to commit to Ryan that they will find a way to spend money in FA for this defense.

I'm actually starting to think that the Saints have been waiting so long for he Eagles to make their hire so that the Saints gig was the last one available in order to take bargaining power away from Ryan. I do believe that Rob Ryan is and has been the choice but the Saints have basically got him to the position where if he wants to be a DC in 2013 he'll have to come off some of his demands.

I truly feel that is what the wait's been for.

Spencer would likely be a better SOLB than any guy in the draft outside Jarvus Jones. It would allow us to fill what I believe is one of our two biggest holes outside of safety. Then we could be one step closer to finding a superstar and going BPA on the defense during the draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: