Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Feeding Frenzy: 31 other team signings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acowboys62 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/26/mike-jenkins-will-visit-the-jaguars/

Quote:
Cowboys cornerback Mike Jenkins will be visiting Jacksonville, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

No surprise he'd be looking to return to the state of Florida. He probably looked to go to Tampa Bay first because he grew up in Bradenton.

He's gonna go whoever offers him the most money. Just cuz he grew up there don't mean squat to these guys nowadays , its all about making as much $$$ before they can't anymore. they can always move back when they retire.

It still has merit, Jimmy. We see it all the time. It also helps that Florida has 0% state income tax, so that's going to be a factor as well. He gets the best of both worlds.

I normally don't comment on random things like this, but the 0% state income tax does not have much relevance, especially when looking at a state like FL. Sure they have 0% state income tax, but they have a higher than normal property tax rate...it is all relative.

So does Texas, yet players generally like playing there. The reason is because even with a higher property tax rate, the reduction in the cost of living, lower property prices, and overall tax base are still far lower than having a state income tax plus property taxes. The math isn't even close, and it becomes even more significant with higher incomes.

Think of it like this: California's income tax rate is 10.55% and has a property tax rate of 1% (before local bond measures are factored in), where Florida's income tax rate is 0% and has a variable property tax rate which is either 3% from inflation or the change in CPI, whichever is lower. According to the Florida Department of Revenue, the 2013 property tax rate is 1.7%.

So let's now examine what the taxes paid in each state would be for along with owning home valued at $10 million with a $2 million salary.

California
State Income Tax: $211,000
Property Tax: 100,000
Total Taxes Paid: $311,000

Florida
State Income Tax: $0
Property Taxes: $170,000
Total Taxes Paid: $170,000

Are you trying to tell me that a player and his agent won't notice the fact that there would be a savings of $140,000 per year, or not care about it? When you couple that with the cost of living and home prices being dramatically lower in Florida than many other parts of the country, the tax burdens are reduced even further because you get more goods and services for lower costs than in other places. So yes, it matters, but it's not always the main driving force behind a decision. Many players like returning to their home towns to play. In the case of Mike Jenkins (like I made earlier), he'd get the best of both worlds because he grew up in Florida and now gets to play for a Florida team.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has lived in both Florida and Texas - and has looked at other locations to live post-college life - I can easily say that those two States are some of the best to live in because of Taxes. It really makes a world of difference.

Take for instance Flacco's Deal. Highest ever, right? Well Funny enough because of taxes Drew Brees actually gets more per check than he does.

It matters.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
acowboys62 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/26/mike-jenkins-will-visit-the-jaguars/

Quote:
Cowboys cornerback Mike Jenkins will be visiting Jacksonville, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

No surprise he'd be looking to return to the state of Florida. He probably looked to go to Tampa Bay first because he grew up in Bradenton.

He's gonna go whoever offers him the most money. Just cuz he grew up there don't mean squat to these guys nowadays , its all about making as much $$$ before they can't anymore. they can always move back when they retire.

It still has merit, Jimmy. We see it all the time. It also helps that Florida has 0% state income tax, so that's going to be a factor as well. He gets the best of both worlds.

I normally don't comment on random things like this, but the 0% state income tax does not have much relevance, especially when looking at a state like FL. Sure they have 0% state income tax, but they have a higher than normal property tax rate...it is all relative.

So does Texas, yet players generally like playing there. The reason is because even with a higher property tax rate, the reduction in the cost of living, lower property prices, and overall tax base are still far lower than having a state income tax plus property taxes. The math isn't even close, and it becomes even more significant with higher incomes.

Think of it like this: California's income tax rate is 10.55% and has a property tax rate of 1% (before local bond measures are factored in), where Florida's income tax rate is 0% and has a variable property tax rate which is either 3% from inflation or the change in CPI, whichever is lower. According to the Florida Department of Revenue, the 2013 property tax rate is 1.7%.

So let's now examine what the taxes paid in each state would be for along with owning home valued at $10 million with a $2 million salary.

California
State Income Tax: $211,000
Property Tax: 100,000
Total Taxes Paid: $311,000

Florida
State Income Tax: $0
Property Taxes: $170,000
Total Taxes Paid: $170,000

Are you trying to tell me that a player and his agent won't notice the fact that there would be a savings of $140,000 per year, or not care about it? When you couple that with the cost of living and home prices being dramatically lower in Florida than many other parts of the country, the tax burdens are reduced even further because you get more goods and services for lower costs than in other places. So yes, it matters, but it's not always the main driving force behind a decision. Many players like returning to their home towns to play. In the case of Mike Jenkins (like I made earlier), he'd get the best of both worlds because he grew up in Florida and now gets to play for a Florida team.

And after all that, He signs with the Raiders, I wonder if Any of the Florida teams had any interest in him at all
textaz03

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/08/raiders-mike-jenkins-agree-to-terms/

The Raiders, in a move that helps bolster their cornerback ranks, have agreed to a contract with Mike Jenkins, ESPNís Adam Schefter reported on Monday night.

After further digging, it's a 1 year contract. Well, I don't see us getting a Comp pick in 14 for Jenkins. He should have been traded last year.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/08/raiders-mike-jenkins-agree-to-terms/

The Raiders, in a move that helps bolster their cornerback ranks, have agreed to a contract with Mike Jenkins, ESPNís Adam Schefter reported on Monday night.

After further digging, it's a 1 year contract. Well, I don't see us getting a Comp pick in 14 for Jenkins. He should have been traded last year.

I thought he couldn't be traded, because he was injured, and wouldn't be able to pass the physical.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PincheJimmy wrote:
And after all that, He signs with the Raiders, I wonder if Any of the Florida teams had any interest in him at all

No way to really know. We do know, however, that he can't say he chose to sign with Oakland because he wanted to play for a contender.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:

No way to really know. We do know, however, that he can't say he chose to sign with Oakland because he wanted to play for a contender.

apparently he visted with Jax, either they decided not to pursue him or not offer him enough
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PincheJimmy wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:

apparently he visted with Jax, either they decided not to pursue him or not offer him enough

He didn't like their deal. [Shrugs]

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
textaz03

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dirty birds remain busy in their offseason make over

@RapSheet: The #Eagles have been shopping RB Dion Lewis for a while. Source confirms he's been traded to #Browns for LB Emmanuel Acho

canadaluvsdalla

Location: I state my opinion. You Listen. I won't change my stance.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
The dirty birds remain busy in their offseason make over

@RapSheet: The #Eagles have been shopping RB Dion Lewis for a while. Source confirms he's been traded to #Browns for LB Emmanuel Acho

Eagles won that trade

Dirk Gently on 2012 Cowboys O-line wrote:
I think last year we gave up pressure to 3 jewish ladies from brooklyn.
textaz03

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@MikeGarafolo: Former Cowboys LB Orie Lemon signed with the Chiefs after impressing in a tryout.

DKDALfan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
@MikeGarafolo: Former Cowboys LB Orie Lemon signed with the Chiefs after impressing in a tryout.

Had hoped that we would re-sign him. I like him for depth at ILB, he seems to be pretty talented.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
Page 28 of 28

Jump to: