Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Offseason 4.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Mock Offseason 4.0 Reply with quote

I've decided to jump in on the whole predict which players will stay and go, yada yada.

I'm skipping veteran FA because TT doesn't usually bother, though I think he'll bring in a few veteran players once the draft is over, possibly mid to late June but you can't predict those types of things unless God comes to you in a vision.

Staying:

Brad Jones: stepped up last season and possesses solid coverage skills

Sam Shields: found his 2010 form, let's hope he doesn't lose it.

Tom Crabtree: kept on the cheaper side of things due to a lack of production by all the other TE's but Finley.

EDS: As much as I want this guy gone because he can only play Center, I don't think we're finding an immediate fix here. Take what you've got and groom for the future if he royally slips up.

Going:

Woodson: I just see another injury coming for this guy and wouldn't be surprised if it happened in TC

Grant: Like Driver, we really didn't use him at all. Deadweight

Walden: Walden played very well at the beginning of the year which is why you'd think he'd stay on, but Walden completely tailed off towards the end of the year. Walden is great as a sub, but cannot hold a starter role. In addition, TT decides that a rookie would be cheaper.

TC Cuts:
Mozes
Lattimore(Manning outshines him)
Francois(just overloaded at ILB, might be traded)
Graham Harrell
Saine
Chaz Powell
Sean Richardson
Ryan Taylor
Andrew Quarless(injury settlement)
Jordan Miller
James Nixon
*other RFA's who are not listed

Draft:

1. Jesse Williams, DL, Alabama: Guys slide down the boards every year. I think Williams is the guy to slide this year. He can line up inside and out and is a great fit for our multiple sub packages. Williams can serve as Pickett's replacement as well and can function the way Johnny Jolly did.

2. DJ Swearinger, FS, South Carolina: Swearinger is and aggressive ballhawk heading up the boards. More importantly, the dude can tackle...

***We trade up with another team, giving up our non comp picks from rounds 4-6***

3a. Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise St: Taylor is excellent in coverage and despite his smallish build, he has excellent tackling abilities and possesses the speed to stay with faster WR's.

3b(current pick). Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati: Kelce is a solid, hard-working TE that can block and has the hands and speed to be a pass-catching TE as well. Kelce replaces Ryan Taylor and the injured Andrew Quarless.

5(comp): David Bass, OLB, Missouri Western: Small school prospect who showed he can play with the big boys at the Senior Bowl. Bass has the speed and instincts to become a solid pass rusher. Slips down the boards due to questions about the level of competition he faced.

5(comp): Brian Schwenke, C, California: Centers get ranked in the upper rounds year in and year out. Everyone remember how Quentin Saulsberry was a 4th? Went undrafted. How about Peter Konz, a sure fire first rounder. Drafted much much later than expected. Schwenke is a solid blocker and is still on the board here and TT pulls the trigger.

7. Chad Bumphis, WR, MSU: Bumphis is a poor man's Randall Cobb. He played for a MSU team that was heavy to the run and under-utilized his speed and abilities. Bumphis is a steal here...

UDFA's of note: Philip Lutzenkirchen, TE, Auburn; Rod Sweeting, CB, Ga. Tech; Zac Stacy, RB, Vanderbilt; Nathan Williams, OLB, Ohio State

Depth Chart:

QB: Rodgers/Coleman
RB: Harris, Starks, Green, Kuhn
WR: Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Boykin, Ross
OT: Sherrod(comes back from injury)/Bulaga, Newhouse, Datko
OG: Sitton, Lang, Barclay(can move to Tackle of course)
C: EDS, Schwenke
TE: Finley, Williams, Kelce, Crabtree

DL: Worthy, Williams, Wilson, Daniels, Raji, Pickett, Neal
OLB: Perry, CMIII, Bass, Zombo
ILB: Hawk, Bishop, Smith, Jones, Manning
CB: Taylor, Shields, Hayward, House, Slowpoke
S: Burnett, Swearinger, McMillian, Jennings, Bush

ST: Crosby, Masthay, Goode

PS: Garth Gerhart, Nathan Williams, Philip Lutzenkirchen, Zac Stacy, Rod Sweeting, Micah Johnson, Joe Gibbs, Greg Van Roten, Chad Bumphis.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the Williams and even Swearinger picks. I don't get all of your presumed compensation picks because I think the Packers will actually only get 1 or possible 2 with the latter very late in the draft. I know the Packers lost Wells but also signed Saturday so I am not sure how that works.

I don't get your two 3rd round picks or wherever they are picked because CB is not a big need and I assume WR is likely above TE on the want list. Staying with the same group of RB's is something I don't think TT will stand pat on. You cut Mozes and I don't think that will happen and you cut Harrell and I don't think that is going to happen. I also believe TT will look for a taller WR and not a clone of Randall Cobb, but if Bumphis is a speed guy you might have a point. I think Brad Jones, believe it or not, will get a pretty hefty offer from another team so he may not be affordable, so if it pans out that way TT will need another ILB.
packattack86

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
I get the Williams and even Swearinger picks. I don't get all of your presumed compensation picks because I think the Packers will actually only get 1 or possible 2 with the latter very late in the draft. I know the Packers lost Wells but also signed Saturday so I am not sure how that works.

I don't get your two 3rd round picks or wherever they are picked because CB is not a big need and I assume WR is likely above TE on the want list. Staying with the same group of RB's is something I don't think TT will stand pat on. You cut Mozes and I don't think that will happen and you cut Harrell and I don't think that is going to happen. I also believe TT will look for a taller WR and not a clone of Randall Cobb, but if Bumphis is a speed guy you might have a point. I think Brad Jones, believe it or not, will get a pretty hefty offer from another team so he may not be affordable, so if it pans out that way TT will need another ILB.

This draft is just ok to me. I like Williams but I feel he is strictly a NT, and we have that in Raji, what we need is a player more like Jenkins at DE. I think 2nd is high for Swearinger, although I like him. Give me a WR instead of Taylor bcuz we don't need to take a CB that high.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moses won't be cut. Harrell could be cut if we pick up another decent QB. At least you don't have Jennings getting tagged. This draft is realistic at least.

Props to Uncle Buck for the sig.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So wait. You kept Zombo, an injury prone re-sign, over Moses, who showed flashes and was solid depth this season?
2Bigby0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure about this one. To me, Williams lacks the flexibility to play DE. We really do need a big body on the defensive line, but someone that can play both inside and outside. I don't feel very confident that Williams can do that.

I get the interest in Swearinger, but I highly doubt we take him. Again, the Packers are a 'draft and develop' team. Safety is an extremely difficult position to learn in our defense and I think the Packers invested a 4th rounder in McMillian just a year ago, and I think he's given a chance to play and be a starter on this defense if Wood is gone.

I don't think there is a chance in you know where that we take a corner in our first few picks and I think there's a strong possibility that we don't take on at all in the draft. We have a lot of quality players at the position already. I just don't think we would take Taylor.

Kelce is a great pick. I'm a huge fan of him and would love to see him in Green and Gold.

Overall, this was OK. I just think Woodson said it best when he said we need to get 'Bigger and Faster.' They're looking for length in players, especially on the defensive side of the ball.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me go a little more in depth here.

First of all, the comp picks were a guess so bear with me; I was going by someone else's prediction on that one.

Zombo was healthy all last season and played much better in run-support than Mozes did. Mozes had his moments no doubt, but Zombo is the more consistent player. To me, Mozes is a younger and slightly slower version of Walden.

I believe Williams can play both inside and out, however, we go to this pseudo 4-3 lineup where we have 2 down-linemen and a few guys rushing off the edge who do not drop to a 3-point stance. Putting Williams next to Raji would be a great fit because Williams' best asset is his ability to win the leverage battle as well as his run support.

The Swearinger pick is quite simple actually. Swearinger replaces either Sean Richardson or MD Jennings. Jennings has issues tackling and was quite mediocre in coverage and help. Richardson was banged up and saw little time. McMillian is ready to take on that role, but since we rotate a lot of guys in and out on sub packages, Swearinger gives us a massive upgrade and solidifies the position.

The Jamar Taylor pick is the same idea. We play a lot of zone; too much in my opinion. However, because Slowpoke is total crap in zone, Taylor steps up with his ability to tackle and eventually replaces Slowpoke. I would've cut Slowpoke flat out due to his contract, but I believe he has the character to restructure and be a team player.

The Kelce pick, like the previous two, is a solidifier pick. We have a lot of positions that have talent, but not the consistency. Drafting these three players establishes consistency.

The Bumphis pick is a depth concern. If Jeremy Ross can step up as a 5th WR, we really don't need to address the WR position except to upgrade. Bumphis is complete BPA at this point in the draft and MSU used him similarly to how Kentucky used Randall Cobb. Bumphis runs a 4.46 40. The more I look at rankings though, the more I think we could snag Bumphis in RFA.

Again, I base this stuff on how things are ranked at the moment.
vang_evo9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
Let me go a little more in depth here.

First of all, the comp picks were a guess so bear with me; I was going by someone else's prediction on that one.

Zombo was healthy all last season and played much better in run-support than Mozes did. Mozes had his moments no doubt, but Zombo is the more consistent player. To me, Mozes is a younger and slightly slower version of Walden.

I believe Williams can play both inside and out, however, we go to this pseudo 4-3 lineup where we have 2 down-linemen and a few guys rushing off the edge who do not drop to a 3-point stance. Putting Williams next to Raji would be a great fit because Williams' best asset is his ability to win the leverage battle as well as his run support.

The Swearinger pick is quite simple actually. Swearinger replaces either Sean Richardson or MD Jennings. Jennings has issues tackling and was quite mediocre in coverage and help. Richardson was banged up and saw little time. McMillian is ready to take on that role, but since we rotate a lot of guys in and out on sub packages, Swearinger gives us a massive upgrade and solidifies the position.

The Jamar Taylor pick is the same idea. We play a lot of zone; too much in my opinion. However, because Slowpoke is total crap in zone, Taylor steps up with his ability to tackle and eventually replaces Slowpoke. I would've cut Slowpoke flat out due to his contract, but I believe he has the character to restructure and be a team player.

The Kelce pick, like the previous two, is a solidifier pick. We have a lot of positions that have talent, but not the consistency. Drafting these three players establishes consistency.

The Bumphis pick is a depth concern. If Jeremy Ross can step up as a 5th WR, we really don't need to address the WR position except to upgrade. Bumphis is complete BPA at this point in the draft and MSU used him similarly to how Kentucky used Randall Cobb. Bumphis runs a 4.46 40. The more I look at rankings though, the more I think we could snag Bumphis in RFA.

Again, I base this stuff on how things are ranked at the moment.

Actually i believe zombo was on pup and didnt do much when he played except get perfectly blocked by stafford! He's as injury prone as starks anyways...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: