Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My one and only mock draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waynegrow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: My one and only mock draft Reply with quote

Have not done this in a while but here you go.

1. Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
Height: 6-8. Weight: 277. Arm: 33 3/8. Hand: 9 5/8
Projected 40 Time: 4.83.

The Patís need another pass rusher. With Chandler Jones on the other side Hunt would be a good fit. He is raw, will be 26 years old but will get good pressure on the other side. He is also good at stopping the run. Look for the Patriots also try to sign Michael Bennett, DE, Buccaneers.

2. Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech
Height: 6-4. Weight: 232.
Projected 40 Time: 4.45.

The Patís will sign Wes Welker. They have the WR to play the slot and the possession receiver in Lloyd; all they need is the deep threat. Davis has the size and speed to do that. Marcus would have had better numbers but the quarter back play was horrible at Virginia Tech. Look for the Patriots also try to sign Greg Jennings, WR, Packers.

3. Robert Lester, S, Alabama
Height: 6-1. Weight: 212. Arm: 31 1/4. Hand: 9 3/4.
Projected 40 Time: 4.51.

Everyone goes deep on us; McCourty looks to have found his position but is more of a FS. Gregory was hurt most of the time and I donít think Chung is coming back. They could also use this pick on a CB but I think they will get one in free agency. Lester had a down year but would be a steal here. Look for the Patriots try to sign Ed Reed, S, Ravens for one more go around.

7. Sam Schwartzstein, C, Stanford
Height: 6-3. Weight: 290.
Projected 40 Time: 5.10.

How do you stop Tom BradyÖpressure up the middle and get him off the spot. Schwartzstein keep Luck upright and will pave the way for all these young RB the Patís have. They may try and sign Rob Turner, C/G/OT, Rams; who can play all over the offensive line.
PatriotBeast

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer...if they resign welker and talib

Alex Okafar/Datone Jones
Markus Wheaton
DJ Swearinger/Jonathan Cyprien
Interior Oline depth

Last edited by PatriotBeast on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
waynegrow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be nice.
Jaymun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate Margus Hunt as a first round pick, and I think it's far from a given that he's a good pass rusher OR run defender at the next level. He plays high, he's ineffective with his hands, always letting o-linemen get in on him, and is always off balance with a narrow base. We have positions that need addressing immediately, and Hunt is a project at this point.
waynegrow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pass rush is their most glaring need and it showed in the AFC title game; the other problem was no down field threat. You never said what is our most glaring need or should say who do you want in the first? Very Happy
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waynegrow wrote:
The pass rush is their most glaring need and it showed in the AFC title game; the other problem was no down field threat. You never said what is our most glaring need or should say who do you want in the first? Very Happy

If the pass rush is their most glaring need, why are they drafting Hunt to upgrade from Ninkovich?

If they are to improve their pass rush, it has to come from inside - replacing Deaderick/Love with someone who can collapse the pocket. I'm not a Ninkovich guy but he's a decent enough pass-rusher for a LE to think that a guy like Hunt isn't going to provide a substantial upgrade in that area.
waynegrow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he would be an upgrade but I see your point too. The free agent market is filled with DT. Its DE, CB and S will be in high demand in a pass happy NFL. The other guy I like is Sheldon Richardson, DE, Missouri
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waynegrow wrote:
I think he would be an upgrade but I see your point too. The free agent market is filled with DT. Its DE, CB and S will be in high demand in a pass happy NFL. The other guy I like is Sheldon Richardson, DE, Missouri

The thing is, even with good defensive ends its hard to move a quarterback off their spot. With how little contact defensive backs are allowed (besides in the waning moments of the SB at least), it takes as much time for a QB to get the ball out somewhere he expects a receiver as it does for a DE to run the arc. Look at how we chewed up Denver in the regular season. Miller and Dumervil are great pass rushers. (Dumervil isn't a very good all around player, but at pass rushing he's certainly very good)

I think a penetrator at DT is an absolute necessity to frustrate passing offenses. Finding a real presence like that should be our top priority. I don't know who it is (Richardson, Short, S. Williams) but the guy's gotta be out there somewhere.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
waynegrow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that being said look for the Pat's to be very active in the DT market.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waynegrow wrote:
With that being said look for the Pat's to be very active in the DT market.

Don't really have the money for a high-end guy and they just added Armstead for depth/upside.

They might go slumming for bargain basement type veterans but otherwise, I think it's probably Wilfork with Love/Deaderick/Forston/Armstead + a rookie if a good value presents itself.
waynegrow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy I really want is Marcus Davis, he has a chance to be special. Tom has never hard a reciever like this.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waynegrow wrote:
The guy I really want is Marcus Davis, he has a chance to be special. Tom has never hard a reciever like this.

Doesn't seem like a guy who is ready for action though. Bad hands, issues tracking the ball. In a later round I'd take a shot at him but we need a pro-ready rookie at some point early.

mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davis is a one year starter with no experience running a full route tree.

Pass.
waynegrow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we get him and he proves you wrong.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waynegrow wrote:
I hope we get him and he proves you wrong.

And I'm sure there's nothing mcmurtry would prefer than to be proven wrong on this one. However, there's little evidence that Davis will be a factor in the NFL.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: