Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who should face Baltimore to open up the 2013 season?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Who should face Baltimore to open up the 2013 season? Reply with quote

As you all know, we will open up the 2013 season with the first regular season game in prime time. I find it intriguing that we have a number of honorable opponents who could see us week one:
-------

Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Pittsburgh Steelers
Green Bay Packers
Minnesota Vikings
New England Patriots
New York Jets
Houston Texans

I think that there are only 4 serious options here: Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New England, and Houston.

That being said, anything can happen, and any one of those match ups are possible.

I would personally love to see us go against Green Bay. Flacco vs. Rodgers. The best QB in the AFC vs. the best the NFC has to offer in Rodgers. That match up would be so nasty and a great way to kick of the 2013 season.

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig
RayBringsPain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers easily. Start their season off with a loss.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us beat the crap out of the Browns to start off our repeat year Cool

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give us Green Bay. Our dominance over New England is established. Steelers ain't legit anymore. Packers are the only team that looks like a challenge coming into M&T.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
Go_Ravens2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since they started having the Super Bowl Champion host the opening game, they've only played an out of conference team once (NO @ IND). This leads me to believe it would be an AFC opponent in this game, with the 3 likely candidates being Houston, Pittsburgh, and New England.

Houston doesn't carry the same storylines as the other two, so I think we're looking at either Pittsburgh or New England. Everyone knows what Pittsburgh vs. Baltimore is like and recently New England vs. Baltimore has become a great rivalry as well. You either have a great divisional clash or a repeat of the AFC Championship game of the last 2 seasons. Brady looking for his revenge and Joe looking to assert his dominance in the regular season. I personally think it will be New England, but wouldn't be shocked to see Pitt.

GO RAVENS!!
nevermore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers. They tend to start off slow, so I'd rather face them as early as possible.

I expect NE, though. Especially if Reed becomes a Patriot (which I doubt).

Dude, he's a football player. He's not Batman.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think it's the Patriots. That matchup of the AFCCG would present a lot of intrigue to the NFL season. It would give people instant gratification for what they're looking for... power rankings, who is legit and who is not. And the NFL is a league where most recent performances are over-exaggerated (for good or for bad) or they are pushed along into the distant pass.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that 4 years back when the Steelers won the Super Bowl, we specifically asked the NFL not to use us as their Thursday Night opening game. Part of the reason was because it would have meant the 3rd straight year that Pittsburgh got to host the primetime BAL/PIT matchup, and they've now hosted the past two primetime matchups at this point as well and thus it's probably our turn to get the primetime home game. But part of that request was I think also the fact that no one really wants to to be that road opener team against any defending champ in any case. The NFL owed us after the bye week fiasco in 2008, so they ended up relenting.

And the Steelers also remember what happened last time we hosted them in a season opener. So I wouldn't be surprised if they ask the NFL not to select them for our season opener, and if they do, they may very well get that request granted.

So to me the Pats are definitely the favorites to end up in that game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProFootballTalk made a good point in their article regarding this game about the fact that FOX only gets Baltimore twice this year so they probably wouldn't let NBC take this game with either of the NFC teams. So that cuts out Green Bay and Minnesota.

I agree that the Patriots are the most likely game to start the season with given their popularity and larger market. You could say the same about Pittsburgh but a rematch of the AFCCG seems more likely to me.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
ProFootballTalk made a good point in their article regarding this game about the fact that FOX only gets Baltimore twice this year so they probably wouldn't let NBC take this game with either of the NFC teams. So that cuts out Green Bay and Minnesota.

How does that work? Networks being able to declare certain games off limits?

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

Well, I don't think they can make either of those games off-limits (at least not until late in the season when flex scheduling comes into play) but they can put up a big stink. Minnesota probably isn't a real candidate anyways so what we're really talking about is whether or not Green Bay will be Baltimore's first opponent and I just don't see it happening. FOX would probably fight tooth-and-nails for that game so I don't see it happening, and to be honest a match-up with New England is probably better for ratings and that's what it all comes down to. Personally I think the Packers game is the most interesting but I don't see it happening on the first week.
alfalcone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

There's a good deal of lobbying that goes on. However, they can actually prohibit 5 games from being flex scheduled, but not at the beginning of the year.
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thinking Pittsburgh for awhile now. Huge rivalry, divisional game, they've given them to us before for the season opener, and like BaltimoreTerp said it's our turn to get the primetime home game.

Plus, they usually give New England their own primetime Sunday/Monday night game against a divisional opponent for them to beat up on.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: