Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

RG3 and the passing game must improve
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
Terrence Williams will help with that if hes there at our draft spot and bringing Davis back will also help tremendous. This offense isn't built on passing the ball though so we should all get over the fact that we don't fling it for 330 yards a game. Solid running attack that sets up our passing game.
well if we don't throw the ball that much, seems to me drafting another wr that high would be a waste. We don't need him.

He won't start over Garcon, Morgan, and probably not even play before Hank and that's if Moss is cut. If moss is back, Terrance Williams could be our #4 or 5 wr as our 2nd round pick. No thanks to that, we need to make our roster better in other positions.

What's the point in drafting a #3 or 4 wr in the 2nd round of the draft when if we drafted a DB or RT they would likely start?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Dro wrote:
Terrence Williams will help with that if hes there at our draft spot and bringing Davis back will also help tremendous. This offense isn't built on passing the ball though so we should all get over the fact that we don't fling it for 330 yards a game. Solid running attack that sets up our passing game.
well if we don't throw the ball that much, seems to me drafting another wr that high would be a waste. We don't need him.

He won't start over Garcon, Morgan, and probably not even play before Hank and that's if Moss is cut. If moss is back, Terrance Williams could be our #4 or 5 wr as our 2nd round pick. No thanks to that, we need to make our roster better in other positions.

What's the point in drafting a #3 or 4 wr in the 2nd round of the draft when if we drafted a DB or RT they would likely start?

Williams IMO would be the number 2. Making Morgan expendable and hell Hank hasn't showed us anything outside of his 1 good game.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Dro wrote:

Williams IMO would be the number 2. Making Morgan expendable and hell Hank hasn't showed us anything outside of his 1 good game.
why do we even need to make those moves though?

There is no need to cut Morgan, Morgan was our leading WR last year and our best blocking WR for the leagues best running game!

There is no point in fixing a wr corp that isn't broken. In order to improve our team we need to fix the parts of the team that are broken and keep the parts that are working well in tact. You don't create a hole on your team when it isn't necessary.

Hank hasn't shown us anything? That's not true.

He's played in 20 and finished 19 games as a redskin. He's been a #3 or 4 wr for all but one of them(miami 2011 when he dislocated his hip) He hasn't had a full offseaon to just work on becoming a better wr yet because of the 2011 lockout and in 2012 he was rehabing from his dislocated hip during the Dolphins game. Despite not getting starting reps, in those 19 games here are his stats:

51 receptions, 706 yds, 13.8 avg, 33 first downs, 3 TDs, 2 point conversion

We don't need a wr upgrade. We have two vet starters for us who are great blockers for our running game, are getting more healthy this offseason and if are healthy make our offense a lot better. Remember, both Garcon and Morgan played hurt all last year. We also have 3 young wrs developing, Hankerson, Briscoe and Robinson all under 25 years old. If they don't continue to progress as wrs, then in the 2014 draft I'd consider drafting a wr high but at this point in dont think its s smart selection to use our very limited assets on a position we have two good starters and a lot of depth in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
aceinthehouse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...
But I don't know why you guys think drafting a rookie or signing a FA who's a #3 or #4r at best will do anything good for the Redskins.
it just makes absolutely no sense at all.

This is my take.
We need to do 1 of 2 things.
either...
1)Leave the WR's completely alone. Don't even touch it.
Bring the same guys back for this next season. Garcon, Hankerson, Moss(restructure if possible), Morgan, Robinson and even Briscoe. Put our resources for depth in other areas of needs....
or...
2)Go after an absolute #1 or #2 monster stud, who can actually scare teams when on the field. Pair him up with Pierre Garcon and let it fly. We wouldn't even "have" to cut anyone from the WR core if we didn't want to. That gives us 7 WR's and we've carried 8 on the team before during a season. of course, a guy like Briscoe could go, or maybe Moss is a cap casualty? I don't know...

I like #2 for several reasons.
A)When Garcon went down, we were very less affective as an Offense. having anotehr stud beside him would be a nice little insurance policy if his foot acted up again, or if the guy we signed got hurt..we would still have garcon.
B)If you want RG3 to progress his Sophomore season, not be forced to run as much...having another true weapon would be huge for his continued maturation process.
&
C)Talk about opening things up. We were #1 in rushing this last yr. Teams are going to focus on stopping RG3 & Morris & counter this Pistol in the off season. That will be a defensive Nightmare, if we have a Wallace or Bowe sitting out there with Garcon, gentleman. IMO, our talent and depth at the WR position, will be as good as it once was with the Posse. Or very close...Can you imagine a Bowe, Garcon & Moss in a trips set?

With RG3 and Morris back there?
And having a Hankerson, Morgan or Robinson to mix things up from time to time?

Dude..we would be unstoppable.

It would also make up for losing a Fred Davis, if we don't re-sign him.
Love Paulson..he's my man, but he doesn't have the athletic ability like a Fred Davis does. Dude can open up the field.

Well...you add a Bowe, Wallace or even a Greg Jennings to your WR core..
You don't need him.

If we somehow did keep Fred Davis..my god(as well as added a stud Wideout)
That just wouldn't be fair. lol
Cool

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And 1 more thing to add...

We are Reloading
not rebuilding

I'm sorry, but drafting some dude named Fernando Venuzuela from Alcorn St. in 7th round, who might make the practice squad, isn't going do us any good for next season. If your going to address the WR position, then you need to target someone you KNOW, is better than a Hankerson, Robinson, Moss and possibly even Garcon.

We already have young guys grooming at the moment in Hankerson, Robinson and even Josh Morgan.

We don't need a mid-to-late rd project.

We need a blue chipper.

Ok..I said my peace.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I value your opinion I have to disagree. We have a young up and comming receiving corp. Why change what's not broke? Our secondary is broke. We need to make serious upgrades to that position. We dont have a FS on our roster. We are going to have to cut our #2 corner if he wont restructure his deal. Wallace and Bowe are going to get V Jackson Money!!! Yes we could prolly, by some miracle, figure out a way to get one of them, but that is all we can do. Our offseason would consist of one FA wideout. We need 2 safeties, and 2 corners. We could use a upgrade at RT. We will need another ILB. We have to replace Rob Jackson if he leaves. Last year we went all out on Offense...this year we need to adress the D.
I wouldnt be opposed to getting a late round reciever like Marcus Davis from VT, or someone like that to groom incase Brisoce doesnt workout. We have very little resources with alot of holes.....We could get a corner and FS in FA for what we would have to pay Bowe or wallace.......just my opinion
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceinthehouse wrote:
And 1 more thing to add...

We are Reloading
not rebuilding

I'm sorry, but drafting some dude named Fernando Venuzuela from Alcorn St. in 7th round, who might make the practice squad, isn't going do us any good for next season. If your going to address the WR position, then you need to target someone you KNOW, is better than a Hankerson, Robinson, Moss and possibly even Garcon.

We already have young guys grooming at the moment in Hankerson, ... you missed "Briscoe"!, Robinson and even Josh Morgan.

We don't need a mid-to-late rd project.

We need a blue chipper.

Ok..I said my peace.
There, fixed that for you. Wink Morgan is a developed WR, he led this team in receptions last year. He's going into his 6th year. The wrs we are developing and are under contract in our roster are Hankerson, Briscoe and Robinson.
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turtle, Ace and Marcus (and anyone else not wanting to mess with the WR corp) are absolutely right.

It would be a waste of a 2nd rounder to pick up a WR. We have HUGE holes in the secondary and need to start thinking about depth for the LBs as well given Orakpo's injury and coming up to the end of his contract and Fletcher getting to the end of his career).

We also need more OL depth but that can be had in the 4th and 5th (or 3rd if its a 1rst round talent that slipped).

So:

DB
LB
OL

BEFORE we think about WR. 2014? Yeah, we'll need one then. But not in 2013.

The ONLY way I would even THINK about drafting a 2nd round WR in this draft is if someone has a crystal ball and can tell me that that WR will end up with a career like Art Monk's. Then, yes...let's draf the guy. Otherwise? Pass.

Pickup some WR's as UDFA's (or use a 7th rounder on one) but in the 2,3,4,5,6,6?? No way.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Dro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guarantee you that if TWill is sitting there and hes the best player on the board we pick him...
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
guarantee you that if TWill is sitting there and hes the best player on the board we pick him...
and our secondary will struggle again a d everyone will complain! Rolling Eyes
Dro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Dro wrote:

possibly.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Dro wrote:

possibly.
No that's a definite!

And I heard NO one complain about our Wr corp all year last year (except when they had 10 drops in the Pitt game) and when Garcon was injured.

All everyone did was complain about the secondary and RT. that right there tells you the positions we need to fix.

It's not rocket science, it's clear and dry. If we use our assets to make the secondary and RT better, the team will be better.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:

Pickup some WR's as UDFA's (or use a 7th rounder on one) but in the 2,3,4,5,6,6?? No way.
I would Consider drafting a wr in the 6th round because there you can find return men, slot wrs and burners like Aldrick Robinson and Antonio brown to develop. I'd only take a wr though if its the bpa late in the draft.

I don't have a problem taking a wr late if we think we can develop that player into a special teams star and a #3 wr prospect in time ala Aldrick Robinson but I don't want to take a wr high in the draft.
Geronimo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

And I heard NO one complain about our Wr corp all year last year (except when they had 10 drops in the Pitt game) and when Garcon was injured.

I agree that secondary and ILB are priorities. Also agree that OL is a priority.

Nonetheless, I would not say that no one complain about WR corp. We all remarked that when Garçon was out, we lost many games, when he came back we won all games. That sounds a bit like complaining.

So, WR is also a need, but with lower priority. We can't fix all our problems in one season.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:

I would hope a team-specific Big Board would take needs into account. As in, if player A and player B are relatively the same talent-wise, but player B is at a position of need, that player B would be ranked higher than player A.

WR is not a need unlike safety, corner, and right tackle. Yes, you want to take the best talent, but you have to take needs into account as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: