Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

RG3 and the passing game must improve
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcus21

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is important to point that we had great distribution in attempts with our wide outs. We were the only team in the leagus with 4 WRs with over 500 yards. Garcon would have been well over 1000 yards if he had played 16 games. I like the unit we have now, and think it would be smarter to draft a young WR to develope like Marcus Davis from VT in the late rounds. We need to spend our limited money on positions that need major upgrades like the secondary!!! Josh Morgan played very well taking into account he was never healthy. Hankerson is making strides. Moss was servicable. Garcon was a beast when healthy.
BTW.
BTW...Bowe and Wallace are going to be getting BIG money!!! V Jackson or more money....We could get a CB and a FS for what we would pay either guy....or close to it!!!
Geronimo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

Fred Davis isnt that much smaller than those TEs,
what an inch.. maybe two? Davis is faster than the three of them. Paulsen is also about their size.

To me, it's not a matter of height. As you correctly point out, Davis is faster than the three of them, still they are much more physical, big guys to throw at in the middle of the field. Davis is a different TE (again, I like him a lot).

turtle28 wrote:

Is a big TE or paying top dollar for one of those wide receivers more important than having a FS who can cover up our cbs mistakes and keep from us giving up huge plays like we did last year?

Of course our secondary is the first issue, no doubt about that. But the thread is about our passing game, so I focused on that.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
As Geronimo pointed out, if you are 30th in the league in attempts per game, then it's not that surprising if you are lower in yards per game.

Let's look at a different number: yards per attempt.

Washington = 8.3 YPA (1st)
San Francisco = 8.1 YPA (2nd)
Seattle = 8.0 YPA (3rd-T)

All three teams didn't pass much, but when they did, they were extremely efficient in doing so.

So, no, I don't think we have to really worry about the passing game all that much. I do think this was a really poor article by Danny Elfin, though.
i think we have to worry about two things with our passing game, throwing the ball more often and protecting Griffin better because if we want Griffin around for the next decade + healthy, we will have to do those things. So, if we get an upgrade at RT and we run less designed running plays for Griffin, we should accomplish those things.

The zone read is Griffin's call. I suspect you'll see less of that, but I'm not sure forcing the ball through the air is the answer. The running game was quite successful.

I do think an upgrade at right tackle would be a good thing, but I'm not sure there is much out there to upgrade to. Perhaps the draft, but we're in a great position on that front.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
I think it is important to point that we had great distribution in attempts with our wide outs. We were the only team in the leagus with 4 WRs with over 500 yards. Garcon would have been well over 1000 yards if he had played 16 games. I like the unit we have now, and think it would be smarter to draft a young WR to develope like Marcus Davis from VT in the late rounds. We need to spend our limited money on positions that need major upgrades like the secondary!!! Josh Morgan played very well taking into account he was never healthy. Hankerson is making strides. Moss was servicable. Garcon was a beast when healthy.
BTW.

BTW...Bowe and Wallace are going to be getting BIG money!!! V Jackson or more money....We could get a CB and a FS for what we would pay either guy....or close to it!!!
i totally agree with your post. We have good wrs and Garcon could have been great if Healthy and if Davis is re-signed and healthy, Davis will be great.

The money we would spend on an upgrade at WR should be spent on other positions like DBs and RT.

Bowe and Wallace are definitely out of our price range unless you are going to start cutting key players we currently have that got us to the playoffs to make room for a high dollar wr.

We have a lot of $ tied up in our wrs and they produced well for us considering the injuries they fought through.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lavar703

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
BTW.

After the season Wallace just had I don't see any way anybody throws big money at him...
Slateman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle and Robert need to sit down and look at what the Seahawks did with Wilson and the 49ers did with Kapernick. Then immitate it.

All of these passes and routes can be done out of the pistol offense, but without running the option as much. RG3's running needs to be a secondary option and then needs to be scaled to keep him healthy.
Marcus21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Kyle and Robert need to sit down and look at what the Seahawks did with Wilson and the 49ers did with Kapernick. Then immitate it.

All of these passes and routes can be done out of the pistol offense, but without running the option as much. RG3's running needs to be a secondary option and then needs to be scaled to keep him healthy.

The seahawks and the 49ers copied what we were doing....Neither team was running the pistol before weak 10... they are all on Kyle's jock!!!
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
BTW.

After the season Wallace just had I don't see any way anybody throws big money at him...
despite Wallace being inconsistent and having some huge drops , he still has elite speed. 64 recs, 864 yds, 8 tds. He still had a good but not great season. Matter of fact Bowe had a worse season. 59 recs, 801 and 3 TDs.

Regardless of their down years, each wr has elite talent and I'd bet $ that a team offers them a huge deal because of their abilities to be dominant wrs.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
Slateman wrote:

The seahawks and the 49ers copied what we were doing....Neither team was running the pistol before weak 10... they are all on Kyle's jock!!!
while true, our staff and rg3 need to take notes on how we can keep rg3 more healthy by having him run less, get down sooner when defenders are coming at him, slide and get out of bounds when nothing more than a few yards and a defender are in front of him.

Slateman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
Slateman wrote:

They added the Pistol read to their existing playbook. Now we need to copy them. With our running game, we should be getting receivers open all day and RG3 driving the ball through the air. No more of the run option.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geronimo wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Fred Davis isnt that much smaller than those TEs,
what an inch.. maybe two? Davis is faster than the three of them. Paulsen is also about their size.

To me, it's not a matter of height. As you correctly point out, Davis is faster than the three of them, still they are much more physical, big guys to throw at in the middle of the field. Davis is a different TE (again, I like him a lot).

turtle28 wrote:

Is a big TE or paying top dollar for one of those wide receivers more important than having a FS who can cover up our cbs mistakes and keep from us giving up huge plays like we did last year?

Of course our secondary is the first issue, no doubt about that. But the thread is about our passing game, so I focused on that.
john kleim wrote the other day how much Davis has improved as a blocker and how well Paulsen did as a blocker because our running game was the best in the NFL. I think both Davis and Paulsen are physical enough.

Can they improve? Yes, and I expect them to as they are both just entering their primes as football players

turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
Slateman wrote:

They added the Pistol read to their existing playbook. Now we need to copy them. With our running game, we should be getting receivers open all day and RG3 driving the ball through the air. No more of the run option.
we did the same exact thing.

We still ran the west coast passing offense. we still ran the zone running scheme. We still ran the boot legs off the zone action, we still had a lot play action passes.

We didn't change our offense either. We incorporated the pistol and zone read into our existing offense.

I think we still need the run option with rg3, but he needs to run less and needs to learn to get down and out of bounds more often. Rg3 needs to quit trying to be superman and trying to win the game on every single play.

Rg3 also needs to learn that throwing the ball away is better than taking a sack and he needs to get rid of the ball sooner rather than running around too much behind the line of scrimmage and then taking unnecessary hits.

Marcus21

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what all of you guys are saying!!! However, this is not a scheme problem...its an RG3 problem. I have never seen a QB that had such a problem sliding! When Haloti hit him in the ravens game...he slid...with both his legs straight up in the air. When he slides it looks so awkward. 3 takes huge hits when sliding.
When two teams mid year start taking plays out of your play book, you know you got something!!!! There is no problem with Kyle's scheme.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
I agree with what all of you guys are saying!!! However, this is not a scheme problem...its an RG3 problem. I have never seen a QB that had such a problem sliding! When Haloti hit him in the ravens game...he slid...with both his legs straight up in the air. When he slides it looks so awkward. 3 takes huge hits when sliding.
When two teams mid year start taking plays out of your play book, you know you got something!!!! There is no problem with Kyle's scheme.
I definitely agree there is nothing wrong with our scheme, we had the best rushing attack and one of the best offenses in the nfl because of our offensive scheme which kept defenses off balance.

As to the sliding points, a lot of Qbs have trouble sliding, actually most do. Jason Campbell couldn't slide, Tom Brady looks horrible trying to slide, etc etc.

I thought when Nagata hit he was more diving, not sliding.

Like I said rg3 just has to play smarter, like Wilson and Kapernick. He needs to learn how to protect himself and I know he will. Run out of bounds, get down, learn to slide like Wilson and Kapernick. Rg3 will learn that and learn how to throw the ball away. He needs to learn that you don't win the game being superman on every play. Rg3 will learn this and learn that throwing the ball away, sliding and running out of bounds to not take big hits is worth it in the long run to keeping him healthy.

I think he actually learned that the hard way last year.

Dro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrence Williams will help with that if hes there at our draft spot and bringing Davis back will also help tremendous. This offense isn't built on passing the ball though so we should all get over the fact that we don't fling it for 330 yards a game. Solid running attack that sets up our passing game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: