Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What do you feel is our greatest defensive need?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  

We need a new __________:
Cornerback
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Safety (Free or Strong)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Defensive Tackle
30%
 30%  [ 12 ]
Defensive End
46%
 46%  [ 18 ]
Inside Linebacker
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Outside Linebacker (including a pass rushing one)
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 39

bitty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
bitty wrote:
The Raiders have the same need on defense they had for the last 10 years. A team leader at MLB.

We've also lacked a real run stuffing DT and (aside from two good Derrick Burgess years) a pass rusher for the last 10 years.

With out a team leader to hold players accountable the whole defense will underachieve.
Dessie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
bitty wrote:
The Raiders have the same need on defense they had for the last 10 years. A team leader at MLB.

We've also lacked a real run stuffing DT and (aside from two good Derrick Burgess years) a pass rusher for the last 10 years.

With out a team leader to hold players accountable the whole defense will underachieve.

Why does a team leader have to be a MLB? Giants had Chase Blackburn at MLB but I don't think he was a team leader.
#clueless
bitty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
bitty wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
bitty wrote:

Why does a team leader have to be a MLB? Giants had Chase Blackburn at MLB but I don't think he was a team leader.

It doesn't have to be but because the MLB has the responsibility of making the calls on defense and to make sure they line up correctly. It just makes sense to me.
Dessie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
Dessie wrote:
bitty wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
bitty wrote:

It doesn't have to be but because the MLB has the responsibility of making the calls on defense and to make sure they line up correctly. It just makes sense to me.

Lining up people is our biggest need? 4-3 LBs are the least important positions on the defense IMO unless they can pay as a 3rd down pass rusher.
#clueless
raidr4life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nodisrespect wrote:
Went with cornerback, because when we play the good teams with great offensive lines and great QB's we probably won't get a chance to get to the QB. Which means we will need guys who can hold up in coverage on thirds downs in the slot and on the outside.

Our Cb's are so poor that i think that's the right move i mean we do have lineman who can get to the passer like houston, Kelly and Bryant, but we don't have a player anywhere near
as good at CB. One pass rusher especially the likes of DaMontre or Bjoern won't affect guys like Peyton Manning IMO.

If we had to take DE i would take Ansah who i think is the best DE in the draft, but if we weren't in position to get him i would look at the top CB's, as the really good CB's can hold up when the pass rush is bad IMO it would really benefit this defense.

And i think Reggie feels similar, calling about Revis and then word got out we were looking at jenkins with our hypothetical first pick last year. Cb's are on the Raidar.
The best CBs get ate alive if you are not getting pressure on the QB.
justwinbaby81

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason why DE is the highest paid position on defense, and it is because it is critical to have a consistent pass rush to be successful in the NFL. Now cornerback isn't far behind in need or market value, but 31st in sacks isn't anywhere near cutting it. We need to punish Manning and Rivers if we want any shot at winning the division. It starts at DE for this 4-3 defense.

We all know stopping the run has been a key weakness to this team for a decade, but I think giving Bryant and Bilukidi should be given a chance. Since we aren't going to fill every need in this one offseason, they should be given an opportunity to prove themselves as a good DT tandem.

Now granted if Star is the pick, I would definitely understand. I do not see him being the pick.

Jarvis Jones also fits the pass rush bill and could be an even better pick than a DE if the team sees Shaggy returning to form.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
bitty wrote:

LOL. This isn't the movies. The Ravens weren't propelled to win the SuperBowl solely by Ray Ray's emotion (Lewis did have a bad game btw). A general has to have an army in order for leadership to be a factor. Ray Lewis couldn't lead our defense. We need pieces.

The Raiders desperately need an edge rusher but if you put Dion Jordan at DE on 1st and 2nd you are begging opponents to run right at his 240lbs arse.
101Raider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass rusher hands down.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
bitty wrote:
Dessie wrote:
bitty wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:
bitty wrote:

Lining up people is our biggest need? 4-3 LBs are the least important positions on the defense IMO unless they can pay as a 3rd down pass rusher.

This. 4-3 LB is the ultimate role player spot.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT or DE by far. It all starts up front and works its way out. Every position will be much improved just by upgrading our DL.
bitty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say what you want I will kill for Luke Kuechly.
Mr.Bob Dobalina

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would lean towards defensive end, but at this point I don't really care as long as he's a playmaker.
Preacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with a MLB. I think we have serviceable DT'S and DE's. What we need is a Ray Lewis/Pat Willis type of player to control the MLB position. Hard choice for sure, when we need upgrades on the DL and CB's but i think the right MLB could help us a lot.

Thanks JTJagg7754

There is good and evil, choose good.
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justwinbaby81 wrote:
There's a reason why DE is the highest paid position on defense, and it is because it is critical to have a consistent pass rush to be successful in the NFL. Now cornerback isn't far behind in need or market value, but 31st in sacks isn't anywhere near cutting it. We need to punish Manning and Rivers if we want any shot at winning the division. It starts at DE for this 4-3 defense.

+1

You cant get away with constantly bringing extra defenders when you are playing the really good QBs- they will get the ball out fast, find the holes, and make you pay for it. Getting pressure on the QB and still having 7 guys in coverage will make life tough for a QB. A good WR will eventually get open if they are given enough time.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preacher wrote:
I went with a MLB. I think we have serviceable DT'S and DE's. What we need is a Ray Lewis/Pat Willis type of player to control the MLB position. Hard choice for sure, when we need upgrades on the DL and CB's but i think the right MLB could help us a lot.

Maybe if there were a Ray Lewis/Pat Willis type guy in this draft, but I just dont see one.Only way I want a MLB in the 1st is if we trade down and take Ogletree, then went DE/DT in the 2nd and 3rd.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: