Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Henry Melton
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  

3 ways to go
Let Spencer walk, keep Ware & sign Melton
76%
 76%  [ 16 ]
Resign Spencer,trade Ware & sign Melton
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Resign Spencer, keep Ware & forget Melton
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 21

Northland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runaway Jim wrote:
Yeah, but can we all agree that we can't afford a free agent like Henry Melton one way or the other?

Agree.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
fredsnotdeadyet wrote:
Wow Cowboys fan always looks at the negatives. For one im excited for this team and think we can do great things this coming season. No not wearing rose colored glasses but I seen something in this team that I haven't seen in awhile. No matter how many points they were down I thought they could still win the game.

This team had no quit in them, they fought till the end of the game. Our offense wasn't a help in the first halfs but they are explosive at times. The team is following Garrett and you can see a change in culture here. We competed with TONS of injuries and not using it as an excuse but we fought till the final seconds ticked.

I am proud of the Dallas Cowboys, does it hurt to lose yes, but this team is learning how to win games and play as a team. Go cheer for someone else if all you do is complain about everything little thing about this team. Jerry this, Garrett that, this team sucks and will for years to come. TIRED of this crap. We don't need fans like that, support your team.

Aren't you getting the least bit tired of seeing every other team in the NFC East rise up EXCEPT for us?

NYG: 2 SB titles
Iggles: 5 NFC Championship games, 1 SB apperance
Redskins: 1 NFC East Title with a rookie QB and RB (pointing out they have a LOT of potential)
Cowboys: 2 playoff apperances, both lost in the 2nd round, 4 losses that could have led to a playoff birth, all to NFC East teams.

Look brother, I have been a Cowboys fan for 40 years. I have seen this team at it's highest of highs and suffered with them thru their lowest of lows. But at least 1 thing was always prevelant, this team would bounce back and be in contention for years to come. Even in the 80's, with 3 NFC title losses, they were right there. They were respectable.

No matter what happens this offseason I will root for them. But as a fan spannig 4 decades, defending a team that I root for in a city that despises them, Philly, getting into fist fights with people here in Philly while defending them, flying to Dallas to see them play once a year, and spending time with you folks debating different points of view, it is my God given right to complain when a team that was a perpetual contender for over 20 years turns into a team that sucks for the last decade and a half. I have earned the right to say any darn thing I want about this team as long as I can back it up with facts. And the fact is this team is pitiful when it comes to winning big games.

If you do not understand that, then you ARE wearing blinders and drinking the coolade.

I really hope you are correct and I am wayyyyyy wrong. I truly do hope so. I can live with being wrong if it means the team I celebrate will become a force again.

Preach on, brotha Dave!!

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
fredsnotdeadyet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea on the Melton thing would love to have him but not sure its possible.

Now like I said before do I get pissed when we lose yes, do I back down when its time to defend my team no. I also have lived and seen greatness with this franchise. All im saying is I like where we are headed, no need to always put this team down and never find positives and I don't care if you was a fan when it first started I will say the same thing.

Not trying to rub people the wrong way but dang everytime I read something someone always has something negative to say. Can we talk about positives in the season? Its hard when we didn't make the playoffs but there is always a positive in every situation, just have to find it. I feel a positive this season was our team is not giving up in games, they kept fighting after the Seattle and Bears blow-out. I think some of our younger guys took a big step foward in being good players, Dez matured alot, Bruce Carter looked great. Claiborne played really well as a rookie. I could go on.

props to Joe_is_the_best
Justin Hoover82

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanna say trading Ware is 100% stupid talk. NOT HAPPENING NOR SHOULD IT!

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fredsnotdeadyet"]Yea on the Melton thing would love to have him but not sure its possible.

Now like I said before do I get pissed when we lose yes, do I back down when its time to defend my team no. I also have lived and seen greatness with this franchise. All im saying is I like where we are headed, no need to always put this team down and never find positives and I don't care if you was a fan when it first started I will say the same thing.

Not trying to rub people the wrong way but dang everytime I read something someone always has something negative to say. Can we talk about positives in the season? Its hard when we didn't make the playoffs but there is always a positive in every situation, just have to find it. I feel a positive this season was our team is not giving up in games, they kept fighting after the Seattle and Bears blow-out. I think some of our younger guys took a big step foward in being good players, Dez matured alot, Bruce Carter looked great. Claiborne played really well as a rookie. I could go on.[/quote]

Fred, this is why I am so adamant about trading some of our older veterans while they still have decent trade value. If it takes 2 to 3 years to solidify our trenches and have our defense learn an entirely new scheme, most of our core vets now will be past their primes and of little use to us in a 16 game season. At that point we will have to spend another 2 years developing a QB, TE, another DE, possibly a RB and the young guys you are talking about now that have taken that big step, well they will be IN their primes and waiting around for the postional players I just mentioned to develop which will cause them to waste their prime years, just like Ware, Witten, Ratliff, Romo and players we had like Barber III, Newman, B James have done on this regime.

The age gap between our core players, who have won nothing with 3 different HC, (Parceles, Phillips, Garrett) and our young talent is like 5-7 years. Thats the better part of a decade. IF we could trade one or two of those players without destroying our salary cap, we could collect as many as two 1st rounders this year with two second rounders and possibly an extra 1st rounder next year. With all that ammo we could rebuild our O line, begin to build our D line and have the ammo to trade up and take whoever we need next year albeit a QB, stud DE or O lineman, whoever. Then by the 2014 season this team will be rebuilt in the trenches and the age gape will be closer to 2-4 years giving us longevity with a young group of core players that will have about 4-6 years of opportunity at a Super Bowl.

If for no other reason, to keep up with teams like Wash and Philly. Because in 3 years these 2 teams will be dominating this division. And we will be old with players that are being overpaid so we will not be able to trade them and we will let another 1st round pick or 2 walk out the door with zero compensation.
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rtnldave"][quote="fredsnotdeadyet"]Yea on the Melton thing would love to have him but not sure its possible.

Not trying to rub people the wrong way but dang everytime I read something someone always has something negative to say. Can we talk about positives in the season? Its hard when we didn't make the playoffs but there is always a positive in every situation, just have to find it. I feel a positive this season was our team is not giving up in games, they kept fighting after the Seattle and Bears blow-out. I think some of our younger guys took a big step foward in being good players, Dez matured alot, Bruce Carter looked great. Claiborne played really well as a rookie. I could go on.[/quote]

Dave Wrote:
Quote:

Fred, this is why I am so adamant about trading some of our older veterans while they still have decent trade value. If it takes 2 to 3 years to solidify our trenches and have our defense learn an entirely new scheme, most of our core vets now will be past their primes and of little use to us in a 16 game season. At that point we will have to spend another 2 years developing a QB, TE, another DE, possibly a RB and the young guys you are talking about now that have taken that big step, well they will be IN their primes and waiting around for the postional players I just mentioned to develop which will cause them to waste their prime years, just like Ware, Witten, Ratliff, Romo and players we had like Barber III, Newman, B James have done on this regime.

The age gap between our core players, who have won nothing with 3 different HC, (Parceles, Phillips, Garrett) and our young talent is like 5-7 years. Thats the better part of a decade. IF we could trade one or two of those players without destroying our salary cap, we could collect as many as two 1st rounders this year with two second rounders and possibly an extra 1st rounder next year. With all that ammo we could rebuild our O line, begin to build our D line and have the ammo to trade up and take whoever we need next year albeit a QB, stud DE or O lineman, whoever. Then by the 2014 season this team will be rebuilt in the trenches and the age gape will be closer to 2-4 years giving us longevity with a young group of core players that will have about 4-6 years of opportunity at a Super Bowl.

If for no other reason, to keep up with teams like Wash and Philly. Because in 3 years these 2 teams will be dominating this division. And we will be old with players that are being overpaid so we will not be able to trade them and we will let another 1st round pick or 2 walk out the door with zero compensation.[/quote]
Dave are you crazy ? I mean really ? LOL. This is totally logical and makes perfect sense.

We have the oldest qb in the division. Ware could bring multiple picks right now but in 2 years he might bring you a 5 or 6th round pick. Jerry isn't prepared to move in a different direction with those two players. He is too much of a fan. So goes the qb so goes the team and we don't have the future on the team.

Every year fans buy into what Jerry sells. I don't get it. I guess it comes from being intoxicated by the blue n silver kool aid. If Dallas was 0-48 over a 3 year span fans would still believe Jerry and want realist fans to be positive. The comment about the core and 3 different coaches speaks volumes. No one will listen though. The emotional attachment to individual players is too strong. Yet the fans who are against the change would be the first one's to pipe up about how awesome Dallas is if they won a superbowl with all of the changes.

Dave, Dallas fans are a strange bunch. They don't want to admit the cold hard facts about the team. They have a hard time admitting Jerry is a buffoon. They want to ignore that Jerry could possibly be involved in all the coaching changes. They don't want to admit Jason has been a fail and has at times looked cartoonish the way he handles the clock. It goes against their core belief in the team. I just wonder how many years they will believe in the current regime and the current 05 core ? I want them to win as much as anyone as do you. But will they and more importantly when will they win ?

Last edited by Football Mensa on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Walshy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:03 pm Post subject:
I am here to say two things.

1.Beat the Giants. I hate them sooo much. Tell DeMarcus to break Eli's face.

2. The Bears will not let Henry Melton walk. They will franchise him at the very least. In the event that he does walk, the Cowboys will become my second favorite team because Melton is my favorite player in the NFL. However, I will still cry for a very long time.

You guys should draft Sheldon Richardson!! He reminds me of Henry Melton. Quick, athletic, strong, and plays DE and DT.

Again, beat the Giants. I live in CT now and I'm tired of hearing crap from the stupid fricken Giants. If Melton does go to the Boys then I hope he sacks Eli repeatedly.

I hope you enjoyed another fan's perspective.

Have a good season!

Adopt-Bear:Jon Bostic Tackles: 56 INT:1 Sack:1
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of points...

1. I would much rather have Melton than Spencer in a 4-3 base defense. Melton is younger and, frankly, has a much higher ceiling at the UT than Spencer has as a LDE. It's a no brainer IMO. I would be okay with a rotation of Hatcher and Crawford at LDE. It's not ideal, but it's a good rotation. I think Hatcher would be formidable against the run and Crawford would come in on passing situations.

2. Regardless of who plays UT, I'm much more concerned about the NT. If Jay Ratliff is our NT playing the 1 technique, our defense will have serious issues against the run. We do not have a NT on the roster that I have any confidence in at all. I could live with Rat playing UT and same with Hatcher. IMO, NT has to be a first/second round priority.

Football Mensa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walshy wrote:

2. The Bears will not let Henry Melton walk. They will franchise him at the very least. In the event that he does walk, the Cowboys will become my second favorite team because Melton is my favorite player in the NFL. However, I will still cry for a very long time.

You guys should draft Sheldon Richardson!! He reminds me of Henry Melton. Quick, athletic, strong, and plays DE and DT.

Again, beat the Giants. I live in CT now and I'm tired of hearing crap from the stupid fricken Giants. If Melton does go to the Boys then I hope he sacks Eli repeatedly.

Have a good season!

I compare Richardson to a young Ratliff. He has that kind of motor.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how Washington and Philly are headed towards domiance with the unproven Chip Kelly and RKG coming off a potentially career changing injury.

^^Kiltman^^
Ace5 wrote:
OH GOD ITS ALL OVER THE WALLS.
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
I like how Washington and Philly are headed towards domiance with the unproven Chip Kelly and RKG coming off a potentially career changing injury.

Hawk do you like how the Skins won the div. with a rookie qb ? Do you like how Dallas has been going in the same circle over n over with no progress ?

Eagles are a question mark. At least they are moving in a different direction. Whether they stay with the spread or go more conventional at least Reid drafted a qb who did a decent job for them. We are stuck with no future behind Romo.

Even the Skins drafted 2 qb's.

I'm open Hawk. Tell my why I should believe in Dallas.
JWingate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
Walshy wrote:

Have a good season!

How he is awful at the POA constantly getting pushed back.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
Walshy wrote:

Have a good season!

How he is awful at the POA constantly getting pushed back.

Wingate are you talking about Richardson ? He is a pure 3 tech. That's his game. When Mizzou shaded him to the 2 tech he wasn't as effective. Still playing in the SEC the guy was a tackling machine. Compare his number of tackles against other dt's in the draft. He isn't as strong as Floyd but he quicker than Floyd. That's why Floyd would be optimal at the 1 tech. I would take either one so long as we get a guard within the first two rounds. Guard cannot be ignored in this draft.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Hoover82 wrote:
I just wanna say trading Ware is 100% stupid talk. NOT HAPPENING NOR SHOULD IT!

Ok, Kiffin is our new DC. He is going to run the Tampa 2 or some version of it, can we agree on that?

Ware was drafted, along with Spencer, to bookend the OLB positions of a 3-4 defense. Can we also agree on that?

The Tampa 2:

http://footballtimes.org/Article.asp?ID=167

As you can see, the Tampa 2 is a form of the 4-3 NOT the 3-4.

So, if Ware AND Spencer were drafted to be monsters in the 3-4, just where do they fit in the Tampa 2?

I mean, would you keep Romo to run the spread option?

Ok, back to Ware and Spencer. We can try them at DE. But with Ware's reputation for being a disruptive force in the backfield, he will be seeing many double teams.
This defense, and Ware's success in this defense, will be predicated on a fast, disruptive DT and a ballhawking S. And we have neither. We also have no offensive line.

So, here we go again, by the time we get all of these pieces into place and up and running, Ware will be passed his prime. So, just how do you see him fitting into this role?

Please understand, I can be convinced, and would love to be, if you can logically refute my stance on this based on facts, and educated guesses.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe he is going to run the Tampa 2. I believe he is going to run the 43 Under.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: