You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

MiBs Pre-Free Agency Mock-Offseason 2013

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moss is Boss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: MiBs Pre-Free Agency Mock-Offseason 2013 Reply with quote

Minnesota Vikings Offseason 2013

To start with, a short reminder: Only the top 51 player salaries for a team count against the salary cap in the offseason. In my opinion, most mock offseasons include too many cuts. NFL-teams have 90 players during training camp and will have a lot of players with minimum contracts competing for roster spots.

In-House Free Agents:

Phil Loadholt (OT) – Not retained (Spielman would love to keep the O-Line together, but I anticipate some other team will overpay the former Oklahoma Sooner. Loadholt is an exceptional run-blocker, but has lapses in pass-protection, and is penalized a lot. I don’t know if it’s justified to make him one of the best paid right tackles in the game).

Jerome Felton (FB) – Re-Signed (Vikings won’t let their Pro Bowl FB walk).

Jamarca Sanford (S) – Re-Signed (He is going to compete for a starting job next to Harrison Smith, good special team player).

Erin Henderson (LB) - Re-Signed (He will get another one or two year minimum contract as no team offers him more, Vikings don’t want to open two holes at the LB-Position as they won’t re-sign Brinkley).

Jasper Brinkley (LB) - Not retained (Vikings might bring him back at some point in summer for depth purposes. Until then I doubt a lot of teams will show interest in him).

Jerome Simpson (WR) - Not retained (It was worth gambling on him last offseason, but it didn’t work out).

Geoff Schwartz (OG) – Not retained (He is looking to start somewhere else).

Devin Aromashodu (WR) - Not retained (Both parties move on).
Marvin Mitchell (LB) – Re-Signed (Special Teams Value, minimum contract).

Joe Berger (C.) – Re-Signed (Berger is a valuable and versatile Backup)

Michael Jenkins (WR) – Already Cut

AJ Jefferson (CB) – Re-Signed (RFA, will compete for a roster spot in TC)

Andrew Sendejo (S) Re-Signed (ERFA, won’t cost much, will be re-signed to compete in TC)

Marcus Sherels (CB) Re-Signed (ERFA, see above)

Troy Kropog (OT) – Re-Signed (ERFA, the same)

I saw lists showing Matt Asiata (HB) and Tryone McKenzie (LB) either under contract for next season or being RFAs. Anyway, I anticipate both to be in purple once Training Camp starts. Both are retained.

Cuts:

John Carlson (TE) – The production on the field just isn’t there. His blocking won’t be enough to save him.
The only two other players who (in my mind) are in danger of being cut are Charlie Johnson and Letroy Guion. At this point, I tend to the assumption that the Vikings keep both, but it could go either way.

Restructured/ Extended

Jared Allen (DE) – His cap number is too big. Both parties have to agree to adjust his contract a little bit by extending it.

Kevin Williams (DT) – At this point of his career, a $7 million salary is not justified by his production. He has to take a pay cut.

Antoine Winfield (CB) – Coach Frazier mentioned a couple weeks ago he plans to reduce his playing time drastically. Accordingly, his salary has to be reduced as well.

Trades
Right now, I think the chance is pretty much 50/50, but I fear in the end (I hope I’m wrong) the Vikings will trade Percy Harvin for a early second round pick to whatever team is willing to offer that kind of compensation. The deal might include a conditional pick 2014 as well.

After cuts, re-signings, restructuring a couple of contracts and trading Percy Harvin, the Vikings should have a lot of cap space to be flexible in Free Agency. However, it’s Spielman’s philosophy to build through the draft. The Vikings are just no big spenders in Free Agency anymore. (I really learned to appreciate that kind of philosophy over the last years, but that’s another story).
This year, however, this is a special situation. Spielman repeatedly said that he judges a quarterback after three seasons, so the upcoming season will be critical for Christian Ponder (and his future as a Minnesota Viking). In order to keep developing him and to be in a position to judge him, the Vikings must add some weapons.
After the aforementioned offseason moves, Jarius Wright and Kyle Rudolph are the only serious targets for Ponder. As a big exception to the rule and the Vikings philosophy of not spending big, the Vikings will hunt for a big name WR in Free Agency. As Dwayne Bowe (franchised) and Greg Jennings (age, injury history) are out of the picture, the Vikings will go hard after Mike Wallace. However, the Miami Dolphins have a lot of cap room and will outbid the Vikings for his services.
Moving on from Wallace, the Vikings will move on to their next target which is (*drumroll*) Viktor Cruz. As a Restricted FA, the G-Men WR will get the first round tender from the Giants. The Vikings decide that it’s worth to give up a late first round pick for his services (Cruz is proven, young and a legitimate Nr. 1 WR in the league). The Vikings absolutely hate to surrender their first-rounder but similarly to the Jared Allen situation/trade, they bite the bullet to get the player they covet and fill a huge position of need. As the Vikings know that the Giants still have Hakeem Nicks and therefore might not match, they roll the dice on Cruz and accept that their hands are tied for the time the Giants have the right to match the contract (Obviously the contract will be heavily front-loaded to make it hard for the Giants to match).

FA Acquisitions:

Victor Cruz (WR)

The reasons are described above. If the Giants sign Cruz to a longterm contract before the start of free agency, I predict the Vikings will sign Donny Avery instead, but for now I go with Victor Cruz.

Eric Winston (OT)

Released by the Chiefs, the Vikings will be happy to secure his services to replace Loadholt who will command a big contract on the open market.

Tyler Thigpen (QB)

After Webbs playoff performance the Vikings will get another backup for Ponder. Spielman wanted to get Thigpen (who was drafted by the Vikings) two seasons ago (Frazier wanted McNabb), but this time he gets him.

Donald Thomas (G)

The Vikings could easily upgrade both of their guard positions and the former Patriot should fit just right in if he’s not too expensive.

Chase Blackburn (ILB)

The Vikings sign the former Giant to an affordable contract in order to provide depth at Middle Linebacker and to be flexible at draft day so they are not forced to reach for a MLB early in the draft.

Greg Toler (CB)

The Vikings sign Toler to provide depth at CB and as an insurance because Cris Cook hasn’t showed that he’s reliable and Josh Robinson’s development is incomplete so far.

Draft:

2. Round Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State

2. Round Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee

3. Round Bennie Logan, DT, LSU

4. Round Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego State

4. Round Jon Bostic, MLB, Florida

5. Round Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma

6. Round Sanders Commings, S, Georgia

7. Round Jake Stoneburner, TE, Ohio State

7. Round Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma

Last edited by Moss is Boss on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not see Kenny Stills being around in the 7th round.

Interesting, and different approach. Bravo.

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
wcblack34

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting take, and one I wouldn't be at all upset by.

However, Winston is at his best in a Zone Blocking Scheme (as his time with the Texans showed). I'd rather pay a little more to keep Loadholt.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo to you on the Cruz selection. it's not "biting the bullet" to do so, it's spending a 1st round pick on a proven receiver. we might very well spend it on an unproven rookie wr.

in early January in a FA thread, when The Gnat asked the question, "Basically if you could get one free agent in this years pool which one would you go with. Let's assume that the Vikings offer a 5 year deal and the most money so they can get anyone that they want" i answered:

vike daddy wrote:
WR Victor Cruz would be nice.

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added your mock into my thread

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the mock, I as well had the Vikings taking Cruz in an earlier mock. Adding Cruz through FA I love, would rather keep Loadholt at RT though as for the draft I really like Brown, Hunter & Stoneburner. Also don't mind Logan or Bostic. Overall good job man!
AQuintus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like the Bostic pick. Arthur Brown is a MLB, so drafting him early, and then forcing him to play out of position by drafting Bostic doesn't make sense to me.
NorthCountryEvo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This goes against my own mock, but I think that Bostic is rising right now, and I don't see him being around in the 4th round anymore.

I just don't feel good about going after Cruz. I like him as a player and everything, and while he is a proven threat, I don't think it would be worth giving up a first for him, regardless of if it is a late first round pick or not. A 2nd round pick? Yea, i'd bite on that, but I would expect players like Mike Wallace, Roddy White, or Larry Fitzgerald being worth "biting the bullet" on a first round tender for. Just my personal opinion. I suppose I have too much faith in the WR's that will be available in the 1st and 2nd rounds of this draft... which is odd, i'm usually very pessimistic when it comes to rookie WR's. I just get good feelings about this years crop.

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, and I looked and behold, a Pale Horse...

And his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

NSDQ
Moss is Boss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
I'd rather pay a little more to keep Loadholt.
The question is how much is too much? If someone offers Loadholt 7 Mio or more per season once Free Agency starts, I'd rather stay away from matching that.

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
I added your mock into my thread
Thank you!

NorthCountryEvo wrote:
I just don't feel good about going after Cruz. I like him as a player and everything, and while he is a proven threat, I don't think it would be worth giving up a first for him, regardless of if it is a late first round pick or not. A 2nd round pick? Yea, i'd bite on that, but I would expect players like Mike Wallace, Roddy White, or Larry Fitzgerald being worth "biting the bullet" on a first round tender for. Just my personal opinion. I suppose I have too much faith in the WR's that will be available in the 1st and 2nd rounds of this draft... which is odd, i'm usually very pessimistic when it comes to rookie WR's. I just get good feelings about this years crop.
Like Vike Daddy wrote, I would take a proven receiver over an unproven rookie WR-prospect every single time. Plus Cruz is only 26 and has just really 2 full NFL seasons under his belt. And his starts are amazing:
Code:
2012: 16 Games, 86 Rec, 1,092 Yards, 12.7 AVG, 10 TDs
2011: 16 Games, 82 Rec, 1,536 Yards,   18.7 AVG,   9 TDs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to add Cruz as our downfield threat but i dont see how the Giants can let him go. Easily their best WR and Eli's favorite target.

That would leave them with Nicks who is good but missed time due to injury, Reuben Randle who had a decent rookie year(15.7yds/rec,3 tds) and not much else.

Although they would be able to go after Tavon Austin and Arthur Brown RD1 and look at a Khaseem Greene/Sio Moore option in RD2 to replenish their LB corps.

I talked myself into NY letting him go...lets do it!!!!!!!!!
Moss is Boss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the Vikings definitely have the firepower to go after Cruz. Looks like Mike Wallace will end up in Miami. Schefter tweets that the Gianzs will tender Cruz with the first round level, so no longterm deal. Opportunity might be there for the Vikings to legitimately pull this off.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: