Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

the 2013 future of Percy Harvin (trade to SEA? p.39)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's still best receiver we have from any position. That might be more of a shot at the guys we have than a compliment to Percy, but it's true.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not arguing that he's not the best receiver on the team; I'm arguing that moving either him, or Wright, out of the slot limits their effectiveness.

As much as I'd like to see them on the field at the same time I don't envision it being successful based on my own observations.
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
I think they should incorporate more 3 WR sets in this offense. It will give ponder more options and allow him to stretch the field a little more. Plus these sets would be great to run a HB draw out of because it will allow the defense to back up a little more

3 WR sets also take a Pro Bowler off the field, either Rudolph or Felton.

Felton doesnt need to be out there every single time peterson runs ya know?

Im pretty sure AP can handle himself running out of a few 3 wide sets

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Not arguing that he's not the best receiver on the team; I'm arguing that moving either him, or Wright, out of the slot limits their effectiveness.

As much as I'd like to see them on the field at the same time I don't envision it being successful based on my own observations.

I think you could have Hopkins on the outside and Wright on the other with Percy in the slot. No one is better out of the slot then Percy. Im just curious what makes you think Wright cant play outside? Like I said he's similar to Steve Smith and has the speed to stretch the field. And getting off the press is something easily fixable throughout the offseason. Steve Smith isnt the biggest guy in the world and he can manage it.

Wright- 5'10 180 lbs
Smith- 5'9 185 lbs

Not saying Wright is going to jump in there and be better than Steve Smith but they are VERY similar receivers and I believe if Wright works on the outside during the offseason than he can play there no problem.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying he can't; I'm saying I wouldn't bank on it as he hasn't shown an ability to, yet, at this level.

I've been going to bat for Wright since we drafted him, and he played all over the field for Arkansas. But, at this level, he hasn't shown anything for me to believe he can be a successful outside receiver.
NorthCountryEvo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Wright is built in the mold of a player like Steve Smith, but I don't think he has the ability to be the next Steve Smith or anything. I think while he cod probably play on the outside and be decent over the next few years, he is still best suited for the slot. With Percy's injury concerns, having Wright is a best case scenario, but I know that there are better outside receivers that are in the draft and in free agency than Wright, and those are upgrades that we sorely need

"NIGHT STALKERS DON'T QUIT"
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What seperates Steve Smith from most short receivers is that he is so physical, is incredible at catching balls in traffic and has amazing leaping ability.

Not every short receiver will be the next Steve Smith. He is truly one of a kind. He has been the common cliche comparison for a decade for all short receivers, but no one has come along that d oes the same things as him. Even Harvin cant play on the outside like Smith has made a career doing.
Freakout

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikesnewcoach11 wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

I think you could have Hopkins on the outside and Wright on the other with Percy in the slot. No one is better out of the slot then Percy. Im just curious what makes you think Wright cant play outside? Like I said he's similar to Steve Smith and has the speed to stretch the field. And getting off the press is something easily fixable throughout the offseason. Steve Smith isnt the biggest guy in the world and he can manage it.

Wright- 5'10 180 lbs
Smith- 5'9 185 lbs

Not saying Wright is going to jump in there and be better than Steve Smith but they are VERY similar receivers and I believe if Wright works on the outside during the offseason than he can play there no problem.

What cracks me up are the people that act as if playing on the outside is so difficult. I mean we had Michael Jenkins playing there and he cannot even pull off a double move.

If Wright, Simpson, and Jenkins can play together then are you honestly going to say that Percy Harvin or Jarius Wright could not do the things we had Michael Jenkins doing? Seriously?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing on the outside requires a different skill set, which not every receiver will possess. Michael Jenkins shouldnt be the standard and if Harvin shows he is more dangerous and is more impactful in the short and middle area passing game, why move him to the outside where he has shown to struggle to be a big factor in the offense.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Playing on the outside requires a different skill set, which not every receiver will possess. Michael Jenkins shouldnt be the standard and if Harvin shows he is more dangerous and is more impactful in the short and middle area passing game, why move him to the outside where he has shown to struggle to be a big factor in the offense.

This
AQuintus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
If Wright, Simpson, and Jenkins can play together then are you honestly going to say that Percy Harvin or Jarius Wright could not do the things we had Michael Jenkins doing? Seriously?

Obviously he could since all Michael Jenkins did was make 1 catch a week and fail to get open the rest of the time. We should probably be aiming a little higher than that.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AQuintus wrote:
Freakout wrote:

Obviously he could since all Michael Jenkins did was make 1 catch a week and fail to get open the rest of the time. We should probably be aiming a little higher than that.

The bigger question is, why take Harvin out of his comfort zone and where he is most useful. Id rather see Wright on the outside, to keep Harvin in the slot.
Freakout

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
AQuintus wrote:
Freakout wrote:

The bigger question is, why take Harvin out of his comfort zone and where he is most useful. Id rather see Wright on the outside, to keep Harvin in the slot.

I never said it had to be Harvin outside.

The point about Jenkins was clearly about us getting very little production out of him. Even if Wright isn't a perfect fit on the outside, I am pretty comfortable in saying he would make more plays down field than Jenkins. As the third receiver on a run heavy team, that is all you really expect.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
AQuintus wrote:
Freakout wrote:

I never said it had to be Harvin outside.

The point about Jenkins was clearly about us getting very little production out of him. Even if Wright isn't a perfect fit on the outside, I am pretty comfortable in saying he would make more plays down field than Jenkins. As the third receiver on a run heavy team, that is all you really expect.

Down the field, sure Wright probably has the advantage. But Jenkins did come through with a lot of big possession receptions, I wonder how Wright would do in that same capacity?
vikesnewcoach11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
AQuintus wrote:
Freakout wrote:

I really dont think Wright would have a problem playing outside. He's had experience there before.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 24 of 44

Jump to: